Zach Wilson: "Could Be Ready for Week 1"

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No one is "rooting against" Wilson. 

Evaluation =/= hatred, dislike, rooting against, or any other foolishness.

But please, enjoy the "I'm a better fan than you" fantasy roleplaying.

Just becuase you may not be, don't kid yourselves, there will be plenty of Jets fans who are. And in no way am I saying I am a better fan than anyone, I have been there rooting against Jets players. My only point is it doesnt work for ME, if it works for others, enjoy, sports is entertainment, whatever works for you as a fan is not my business.

• Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

no if you’re not on the Zach bandwagon now I don’t want to see these same posters coming back here celebrating if he does actually have success and lead us towards victories. Can’t have it both ways 

I feel this way but about Ashtyn Davis.  The accumulated filth of all their doubting and negativity will foam up about their waists and all the haters and losers will look up and shout "save us!".. and I'll look down and whisper "no"

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

lol what?

Jets fans aren't allowed to be happy if the QB they think sucks turns into a good QB?

Where have we gone wrong?

Some guys are so adamant he’s trash I don’t want to see these same guys back here celebrating when he’s doing well… that’s all lol

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Truly don't understand making a position on any player part of your persona, but whatever.

Surely you can at least this acknowledge this occurs on BOTH sides of the argument, right?  Nico/QB1's entire posting history was about Darnold, and he peaced out when Darnold failed.  

This is why I don't emotionally invest in any one player.  I generally assume they all suck until proven wrong.  Especially at QB. 

It also means you guys are going to forever be stuck with me regardless of how successful or not successful the Jets are.  Either I'll be entertained by wins OR entertained by making fun of the Jets and overly homer-istic Jets fans. 

Sucks to be you guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

People on this board spew so much venom towards Zach there’s no way I picture them sitting in front of their TVs on Sunday and actually rooting for him. Then they’ll come back here and say “I’ve always rooted for the kid” blah blah blah ..

no if you’re not on the Zach bandwagon now I don’t want to see these same posters coming back here celebrating if he does actually have success and lead us towards victories. Can’t have it both ways 

I guess people who win the lottery aren't allowed to enjoy the money unless they started spending it before the drawing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I kind of like this idea. As @Creepy Lurker suggested, lets just get it over with.  Rip the band-aid off.  I was all for starting someone who gives us a chance to win. But getting him out there against the toughest part of our schedule, kills two birds with one stone.  After he is out 8-10 weeks with an injury, a better QB can step in and make this season competitive. 

The NFL is a man's league.  Zach isn't cut out for it.

A long-term injury for Wilson only buys him MORE time here, not less.  The front office and coaching staff would give him a 3rd season if he misses much of this season with an injury, all with the thinking that we need to "see what we have".

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll do whatever the f**k I want and there's 2 things you can do about it:  1) Nothing; and 2) Like it.  

The very last group of people that can tell me how to fan are Zach Wilson fanboys.  Y'all have been annoying AF so you'd better HOPE Wilson balls out at this point.

They'll invoke the mercy rule if they are wrong.

"He's no longer a Jet why can't you stop beating a dead horse!!!?!?!?!"

If we are wrong, we will be happy as fugg.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

They'll invoke the mercy rule if they are wrong.

"He's no longer a Jet why can't you stop beating a dead horse!!!?!?!?!"

If we are wrong, we will be happy as fugg.

Then they'll move on to telling people who don't get behind the NEXT QB that we're "not real fans".

More predictable than the Ryan Fitzpatrick cycle was.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Surely you can at least this acknowledge this occurs on BOTH sides of the argument, right? 

Absolutely.  I gave up on anointing QBs after Darnold failed.  I'm hugely skeptical of Zach but still maintaining optimism and rooting hard for him, because otherwise what's the point of spending energy being a fan?  I dunno.  Could go in circles forever on this silly argument.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

People on this board spew so much venom towards Zach there’s no way I picture them sitting in front of their TVs on Sunday and actually rooting for him. Then they’ll come back here and say “I’ve always rooted for the kid” blah blah blah ..

I agree that there are people here who have built a sort of persona and seem to have a vested interest in Wilson being bad.  But why do you have to be on his "bandwagon"?  If Week 10 rolls around and he still sucks, I will want the Jets to move on.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

Absolutely.  I gave up on anointing QBs after Darnold failed.  I'm hugely skeptical of Zach but still maintaining optimism and rooting hard for him, because otherwise what's the point of spending energy being a fan?  I dunno.  Could go in circles forever on this silly argument.

Dangerous existential question for a Jets fan to ask himself.  What IS the point, indeed....

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Once the ball is snapped, as I watch Zack it just seems to me he is in over his head.  So once again I'll be keeping a stiff upper lip while waiting for him to "get it".  I'm so very tired of THIS FRANCHISE mishandling its QB position.  I'm looking at you Johnsons.   

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Once the ball is snapped, as I watch Zack it just seems to me he is in over his head.  So once again I'll be keeping a stiff upper lip while waiting for him to "get it".  I'm so very tired of THIS FRANCHISE mishandling its QB position.  I'm looking at you Johnsons.   

It's a low bar, but I see more things in his game right now that I like, than I did in Sam Darnold's in year 3.

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

This. The relentless bashing of Zach in every thread has just made this a tiresome and much less fun to be. At a time when we should all be filled with anticipation and excitement for the season a group of posters make it all about Zach being bad in their eyes, with many of the arguments being just plain stupid- "Zach is not athletic" to just pure trolling "Zach sucks"

Super excited to see 37-year old Flacco out there thanks to Wilson getting hurt on an unnecessary scramble, after looking terrible in his lone preseason appearance.

Don't blame Jets fans for the muted Week 1 excitement.  

• Sympathy 2

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Super excited to see 37-year old Flacco out there thanks to Wilson getting hurt on an unnecessary scramble, after looking terrible in his lone preseason appearance.

Don't blame Jets fans for the muted Week 1 excitement.  

Oh please. If he is not injured no one gives that play a second thought.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Oh please. If he is not injured no one gives that play a second thought.

....But he did get injured.  And it could have been a lot worse than it ended up being.

And meanwhile in this very thread y'all are trying to argue that Wilson is athletic AF and an exceptional athlete.  OK then.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I view the Jets from the perspective of, “What is keeping them from being successful?” And if it’s easy to identify *the* guy that’s preventing them from being good, I automatically hate that guy. I don’t root for that guy. I want that guy replaced immediately. Zach is currently that guy. The team has looked relatively promising when Zach isn’t playing, so we have evidence that Zach Wilson is the main cause of Jets despair, currently. Compounding the issue was that the reasons Zach is That Guy right now were evident and predictable, and the great bulk of the available data we have suggests he’s going to continue to be that guy. 

Interesting!

This "world view" seems fundamentally flawed, since it fails to account for the indisputable fact that players get better (or worse) over time. What's keeping a team "from being successful" is far from a static entity - the struggling rookie QB may go from a weakness to a strength, or vice versa. It seems to me like rooting for the guy to get better is the way to go, especially since you are going to be staring at him for a minimum of 2 seasons, regardless of how you feel. 

As for "The team has looked relatively promising when Zach isn’t playing, so we have evidence that Zach Wilson is the main cause of Jets despair, currently" - this is largely overblown. The Jets were 1-3 without Zach and 3-10 with him. Those are almost identical winning percentages. Further, the three best QB performances last year occurred vs. Titans, vs. Bengals, and vs. Bucs. Zach Wilson was the QB for 2 of those 3 games.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I view the Jets from the perspective of, “What is keeping them from being successful?” And if it’s easy to identify *the* guy that’s preventing them from being good, I automatically hate that guy. I don’t root for that guy. I want that guy replaced immediately. Zach is currently that guy. The team has looked relatively promising when Zach isn’t playing, so we have evidence that Zach Wilson is the main cause of Jets despair, currently. Compounding the issue was that the reasons Zach is That Guy right now were evident and predictable, and the great bulk of the available data we have suggests he’s going to continue to be that guy. 

I agree with the sentiment, but the reality is that Zach isn't going anywhere in 2022.   Now granted, I am not one of 300+ mental health professionals in the Hudson Valley who have evaluated you over the years, but maybe you could find a better mindset by rooting for the team's quarterback this season!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

Robert Saleh is too much of a company man to ever speak his mind to the organization:

"Look, this QB sucks.  I understand what we invested in him.  But let's be real."

Despite what he continues to voice publicly, in his heart of hearts, you have to think he has doubts about Zach Wilson.  He has to.

He's not blind.  And despite the drivel he continues to repeat in pressers, I don't think he's that stupid.  He can't possibly be, and if he is, it doesn't matter who the QB is -- we are screwed.

Brandon Staley was my 1st choice for HC.

He's basically the anti-Saleh.  No stupid slogans.  Hyper-aggressive playcalling and decision-making.  Go for it on 4th down.  Pretty much always go for 2.  Go for the jugular in the 4th Q.