Saleh's press conference - Sounds like Flacco does have a shot to be the qb this year

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Get him on the field" is not the same thing as "will start at QB".

Dear lord, do these guys ever just say something unambiguous without leaving themselves ways to weasel out of it?

Well if he’s getting him on the field and not starting, that’s one wild 2 QB package with Flacco and Wilson. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

This offense while a derivative of Shanahans isn't the same offense at all - but go ahead , you do you . 

I’m sure it’s like night and day bro 

Would probably take Jimmy multiple off-seasons to adjust to the conceptual nuances and lingo

Meanwhile you can enjoy watching Kapono continue to dirt passes within 5 yards of the LOS

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I think this is exactly right, but if (and I know it’s a huge if) Flacco wins the next two, it gets really dicey. At minimum, they’d have to have the hook out and ready to go at a moment’s notice.

I wouldn't pull Flacco if - yes huge if - he puts up crazy #s on Sunday (and we win) -- it'll come to an end, but for however long that lasts, ride it out. But merely top 15-ish, for as long as that'd last, barely eking out 1 or even both of the next 2 by the skin of their teeth? No, I'd give him the hook when Zach is 100% or 110% or whatever the hell Saleh's talking about. 

I'll also grant Saleh that we're conveniently planning this out not just in advance, but from our keyboards/phones at that, based on a TV broadcast. We don't have a pulse on the locker room. Yeah they have to follow whatever Saleh says like it or not, but it's not a good thing if under their breath they're all groaning b/c Flacco's on fire & the coach is pissing on those flames to put it out. 

Most likely Flacco's own play will make the decision easier. Hope as I may for any Jets QB to succeed, he's pretty unlikely to put up 350 yards & 3-4 TDs (and 0-1 turnovers) per game over any multi-game stretch. 

• Upvote 3

It's hard to imagine a scenario where Zach goes back to QB1 if Flacco is really playing lights out game after game and the team is winning every week.

That said, it's hard to imagine a scenario where Flacco is really playing lights out game after game and the team is winning every week.

This is much ado about nothing. You ride the hot hand until it's no longer hot - which is both inevitable and not far off.

4 hours ago, doitny said:

last 2 times we made the Wildcard we went all the way to two AFCCG. and one half from a SB. last time we made the playoffs with a dinosaur at QB we did the same. you never know what can happen if you make the playoffs. 

Zach isnt guaranteed to be good. maybe next year we draft a QB . maybe hes no good either. then you got to start paying some of these young guys. before you know it its over. it could be another 10 years before we make the playoffs.

you never turn down the playoffs. and if this happens and Zack sits so be it. we still have him for 2 more years even if you have to give him the extension. 

am im pretty sure those teams you mention if put in the exact same position which the history we have and no playoffs in 10 years would ride Flacco until they couldnt even if that means playoffs. 

The other factor is when we did this last time, it was with "veterans' for the most part who really had reached their ceiling and was not going to get much better, if anything, had career years.   This time around we have a nucleus of your talented but inexperienced players.  Inexperienced in playing time as well as playing together with each ohter.   Even if Zach sits for a few more games and this team elevates it's overall play, that should make it even easier for Zach because he will be returning to a better TEAM than started with in preseason.   Also at Flaccos age, and lack of mobility, the odds of him playing an entire season are extremely low.  I aslo expect him to have a few more "Flacco" games where he is just not very good.  The point is, unless he just catches lightning in bottle, we all know what Flacco is at this stage of his career.   He is a competent back up who can still start and play well but I don't think anyone would want to see him play the entire season.   Of course stranger things have happened but I fully expect Zachs return by week 5 or 6. No later than after the bye week. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Get him on the field" is not the same thing as "will start at QB".

Dear lord, do these guys ever just say something unambiguous without leaving themselves ways to weasel out of it?

Was thinking the exact same thing.. it's like these guys brains are broken and can never just answer a question like a normal human. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

you are grasping for straws now that the coach basically refuted your talking points for the last 2 weeks.

most smart people don't double down on bad ideas.

I'm not anything, Saleh said what he said.  Any ambiguity is his, not mine.

"Get on the field" may mean start.  It could also not.  That needless ambiguity is entirely on Saleh.

How hard would it have been for him to say "Zach is starting Week 4, barring further injury".

100% clear, 100% unambiguous.  

Maybe he meant "will start", but that isn't what he said.  As said elsewhere, I hope he means "will start", I'm in no way looking to see Zach healthy scratched.

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

It's hard to imagine a scenario where Zach goes back to QB1 if Flacco is really playing lights out game after game and the team is winning every week.

That said, it's hard to imagine a scenario where Flacco is really playing lights out game after game and the team is winning every week.

This is much ado about nothing. You ride the hot hand until it's no longer hot - which is both inevitable and not far off.

Flacco was a a nick chubb kneel down away from being 0-2 with a 13 point loss to Jacoby Brissett. Let's relax with the "playing lights out" nonsense. 

Flacco is doing EXACTLY what you want your backup to do. Nothing more or less. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Well if he’s getting him on the field and not starting, that’s one wild 2 QB package with Flacco and Wilson. 

Decoy Wilson is GO!

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Was thinking the exact same thing.. it's like these guys brains are broken and can never just answer a question like a normal human. 

Exactly.  "Zach will start week 4, next question" is clear and unambiguous.  

But these NFL Coaches all think they're playing 4th Dimensional Chess with the silly ways of saying things.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Decoy Wilson is GO!

But these NFL Coaches all think they're playing 4th Dimensional Chess with the silly ways of saying things.

It feels more like the Jets are siloed than it does coach speak. 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Decoy Wilson is GO!

Jets will likely get rolled this Sunday by the Bengals, so....

Week 4

Zach Wilson's first start of the season

Kenny Pickett's first start of his career

54 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I’m sure it’s like night and day bro 

Would probably take Jimmy multiple off-seasons to adjust to the conceptual nuances and lingo

Meanwhile you can enjoy watching Kapono continue to dirt passes within 5 yards of the LOS

what the heck is Kapono?  i don't understand the reference

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm not anything, Saleh said what he said.  Any ambiguity is his, not mine.

"Get on the field" may mean start.  It could also not.  That needless ambiguity is entirely on Saleh.

How hard would it have been for him to say "Zach is starting Week 4, barring further injury".

100% clear, 100% unambiguous.  

Maybe he meant "will start", but that isn't what he said.  As said elsewhere, I hope he means "will start", I'm in no way looking to see Zach healthy scratched.

triple down!

you are putting way to much emphasis on his words.   Zack is playing when he's better.    there is no ambiguity.

29 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This thread can be closed.  Saleh was definitive today.  When Zach is healthy, he starts.  Flacco's play is irrelevant.

Zach will be starting in Pitt next week.

Will he be the 110%? Will both sets of doctors agree? Will Wilson's  epic lust for MILFs have been satiated long enough to squeeze in some practice, and per chance, start an NFL game? Stay tuned!