Saleh's press conference - Sounds like Flacco does have a shot to be the qb this year

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I don't really think so.  Narrative will be that at 4 weeks, he still needs more time to get up to speed.

By the time I think you could sell, "he's just no good" the season is basically over, and it's hard to make the argument that it's worth putting Flacco back out there at 3-10ish.

And if Zach tanks the season, it’s 50/50 that Saleh gets fired, because Zach sucking tanks the performance of about five different drafted players. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And if Zach tanks the season, it’s 50/50 that Saleh gets fired, because Zach sucking tanks the performance of about five different drafted players. 

I don't think either guy is getting fired, almost no matter what.

I suspect, and obviously I'm not in the room, but I suspect that Douglas and/and then Saleh sold the Johnson's on sh*t IS TERRIBLE and it's going to take a while to fix.  They wouldn't be wrong, but I'd think it at a minimum, buys Saleh year 3.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I suspect, and obviously I'm not in the room, but I suspect that Douglas and/and then Saleh sold the Johnson's on sh*t IS TERRIBLE and it's going to take a while to fix.  They wouldn't be wrong, but I'd think it at a minimum, buys Saleh year 3.

I think if he goes six wins or less, Woody is gonna get itchy. Saleh wasn’t his hire and he’s already worn out his welcome in this market. Especially if Daboll keeps the Giants upright, I can envision a change

• Upvote 1

Think there is more to it then we know. Zach might have been sucking it upin camp and he looked terrible in preseason think Saleh figured give Flacco the shot to be starting QB try to win some games If he plays well he will remain starter if not the will go with Zach. There is immense pressure for this team start winning games they had a good draft and free agency. Don't think they can afford to have another 4 -13 season to hope Zach progresses from what Zach showed so far he is regressing and Saleh and Douglas are hoping Flacco has enough left in the tank to give the Jets a decent year give Zach time to learn from sideline. Think they rushed Zach to start with no competition he should have sat last year and signed a veteran to start.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

For some it’s just that they want to believe. Some people in here are just arguing that Zach should play if he’s healthy.

My thing is that Zach was a legit good prospect, his advanced metrics made him a solid bet to be at least good in the NFL. That’s a bigger sample size than 13 games so for me to move on from Zach the certainty of Zach’s failure has to be clear. I can reach that conclusion with a bigger sample size showing little to no improvement or if the coaching staff bails on him. 

Finally, going into every season believing every QB is a bust is a good way to be right, it also distracts from the excitement of the unknown which is really all we have as Jets fans.

I agree with you.  I've also seen plenty of good prospects struggle and get beat up.  Sit for a year or two and learn the position and come back and be very productive.  Some people learn how to swim by being thrown into the deep end of the pool but some people drown that way.  Some people learn in the shallow end and swim into the deep end on their own.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

Are you dense? If Flacco plays well and Jets stay with him even when zach is healthy thats him being benched. Again I doubt it happens but it's possible.

Youre the dense one.  I said it’s not happening.  We can disagree.  I don’t think there’s a chance in hell they keep Flacco as QB.  Even if he plays better this week.  Youre the dense one here

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think if he goes six wins or less, Woody is gonna get itchy. Saleh wasn’t his hire and he’s already worn out his welcome in this market. Especially if Daboll keeps the Giants upright, I can envision a change

Minuscule sample, but the Jets are 32nd in defense DVOA. Following last years worst in the league defense. That needs to be fixed asap.

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

If he doesn't earn it, no, there is no more need.  If he does, then yes, we should see more of him.

And again, there's no we.  You and I don't need to know if he's better.  The coaching staff - they need to know.  What if they think they already do?

Bold is a point I’ve been trying to make. Well said.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjets1969 said:

Think they rushed Zach to start with no competition he should have sat last year and signed a veteran to start.

If I had a dollar for every downvote I got for suggesting exactly this last off season, I’d be the new owner of the NYJ.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is it miniscule? It’s 19 games and a preseason where Marcus Mariota looked like Pat Mahomes against us. 

I think some of the softhearted out there (like me) accepted last year because the staff was new, the roster was in shambles, Lawson got hurt, etc. But they’ve had two full offseasons to install everything, they made a ton of upgrades, and Lawson is healthy. To be this bad is really unacceptable. I’d give it two more games until Saleh takes over defensive playcalling. After that, who knows.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think Zach getting hurt in the preseason, while a bummer, may turn out to be the best thing for him.  He has had the chance to sit and watch Flacco and should be that much better when ever he is back under center, which I anticipate to be by week 5 if not sooner.   Unless we are 3 and 1 going into week 5, Zach will be back.   If we are 3-1 by some miracle, there is no way you can sit Flacco and Zachs education continues... 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Minuscule sample, but the Jets are 32nd in defense DVOA. Following last years worst in the league defense. That needs to be fixed asap.

Not sure what that is. I'm not saying jets defense is good or anything but they're not the worst in the league. And they appear significantly improved over last year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

depends on Flacco

win or lose if he throws for over 300 yds with multiple TDs against the Bengals and you bench him for Zach vs the Steelers and he tanks its looks bad. why did Zach have to start now as opposed to riding Flacco until he tanks? 

play Flacco until he is bad then you can say we rode that horse as far as we could. then we tried to develop Zach. 

Flacco could easily be 1-2 with 900 yds and 8 TDs and 1 INT. how do you bench him without giving him the Steeler game to see if he can go 2-2. as Warfish posted he is a top 10-12 QB by the numbers. you bench a guy like that you better be right about the guy that replaces him.

why does Zach need 14 games? why not 13 or 12 or even 10. is that not enough to see some improvement.? if he needs that many games he probably isnt the guy.

why does Zach need to start right now? Woody might be asking the same thing. you need to put to rest any hope of a playoff season. you need to be 1-3 or a Flacco bust against the Bengals to put that to rest.

3 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

Think there is more to it then we know. Zach might have been sucking it upin camp and he looked terrible in preseason think Saleh figured give Flacco the shot to be starting QB try to win some games If he plays well he will remain starter if not the will go with Zach. There is immense pressure for this team start winning games they had a good draft and free agency. Don't think they can afford to have another 4 -13 season to hope Zach progresses from what Zach showed so far he is regressing and Saleh and Douglas are hoping Flacco has enough left in the tank to give the Jets a decent year give Zach time to learn from sideline. Think they rushed Zach to start with no competition he should have sat last year and signed a veteran to start.

Regressing?  Where do you see that. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They have reams of data showing what Zach can and cannot do, and they compile more every day in practice. I don’t see why it’s necessary to subject the rest of the team to the struggles of his learning process. 

I’ve been reading this board a long time and I enjoy your schtick as much as the next guy, but I know you know the difference between practice and real game performance, so thank you for letting me know you’re not serious on this one.  

• Upvote 1