Quinnen Williams is a beast

AFJF

Just now, Irish Jet said:

He is. Still can't pay what he'll be after imo. Especially with this coaching staff.

We heard forever that having players with talent who earned a second contract would be a good problem to have.  

Understand the stats may not say it, but Quinnen is really important to the defense and I hope Joe D.  finds a way to extend him at a reasonable contract before he hits FA.  I also hope Saleh and Ulbrich realize this and play him more heavily in the rotation.

Although it’s early, some of these draft picks already look like hits (AVT, Michael Carter, Elijah Moore, Sauce, Garrett Wilson, etc) and we’ll need to find a way to keep them all moving forward 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

49 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He is. Still can't pay what he'll be after imo. Especially with this coaching staff.

He's probably the only player on defense that other teams worry about.  guess you could throw the corners in there but a smart team can figure out how to avoid them. Other organizations figure out how to pay DTs and function. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Another fantastic game for Quinnen.  Play after play he was doubled and, in some cases, doubled and held.  Still made impact plays and I loved this one where he does his best Kris Jenkins imitiation, tossing an O-lineman into the offensive backfield.

Not bad for a guy gasping for breath. 

Should have been a flag for tripping in that play as well. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

He was obviously the best player on that field yesterday and it wasn’t even close 

He was the best player on defense for sure but Zach gave him a run for his money as best player on the team. I really hope they can both keep this up. I feel comfortable that Q will, I just feel I am falling into that QB love trap with Zach right now. I'm becoming a fan of his. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He plays for the Jets.  He's young.  He's good.  When these three things are in place, we must seek out other players who play the same position and claim that player is better, and our guy is a bust.  Those are the rules.

Unfortunately you’re right

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

He was the best player on defense for sure but Zach gave him a run for his money as best player on the team. I really hope they can both keep this up. I feel comfortable that Q will, I just feel I am falling into that QB love trap with Zach right now. I'm becoming a fan of his. 

What’s wrong with that?  I mean you’re a Jet fan so nothing wrong with being a fan of the young QB lol.  Now we still don’t know if this will work out with him but never a bad thing being hopeful 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Sooner or later you need to start resigning your own young talent.  Can’t keep reading for picks.  

9 minutes ago, tfine said:

He will be signed. DL is the most important position group in this defense. 

4 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

He's probably the only player on defense that other teams worry about.  guess you could throw the corners in there but a smart team can figure out how to avoid them. Other organizations figure out how to pay DTs and function. 

48 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

We heard forever that having players with talent who earned a second contract would be a good problem to have.  

Understand the stats may not say it, but Quinnen is really important to the defense and I hope Joe D.  finds a way to extend him at a reasonable contract before he hits FA.  I also hope Saleh and Ulbrich realize this and play him more heavily in the rotation.

Although it’s early, some of these draft picks already look like hits (AVT, Michael Carter, Elijah Moore, Sauce, Garrett Wilson, etc) and we’ll need to find a way to keep them all moving forward 

With Donald likely gone he's going to want to be the highest paid DT in the league, one of the highest paid defensive players. He plays 60% of the snaps. 

You can't justify that outlay for the position unless it is an Aaron Donald type game wrecker - Just not a premium position and as some of you point out we likely will have to invest top level money in the more important areas down the road - Sauce looks like he could be the among the best in the league. You don't invest in a top DT before an elite CB. It's not like he's put this group on his back and carried them to good performances the way Watt/Donald/Bosa etc. do - It's been a below average to bad unit every year that he's been here. Not his fault obviously but he's not that guy that can take over games single headedly. 

He is a good player but he's not the most consistent even when on the field, against the run especially he's prone to getting caught out of position. Investing what it will take to keep him would be something you could easily regret. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I would say AVT and maybe Sauce depending on his development  are guys you must keep. Moore I would not pay top WR money for but he might get it. Wilson right now is a boom or bust player. He needs to be more consistent. MC is not a must keep player, at least yet. He is good but Hall makes him expendable. 

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

What’s wrong with that?  I mean you’re a Jet fan so nothing wrong with being a fan of the young QB lol.  Now we still don’t know if this will work out with him but never a bad thing being hopeful 

I was totally all in with Darnold and he was a disaster.  I need to see more before feeling comfortable feeling we have a guy that deserves  and extention.  Yesterday was a step. He needs to keep progressing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

You have to. There is nobody on the interior that can replicate what he does. If you don't pay him, you're just hurting yourself letting him go for no reason then you have to try to find someone in the draft again.

I still don't  feel we are using him to our best advantage.  Look at how the Rams move Donald around. We only play Q on the interior. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

If JD trifling ass let Q go let’s just say I don’t think you guys seen rage yet 

and besides who available or what rookie will be better or have more upside then Q?

This is one of our few homegrown stars, has pretty much been the Jets best player these past 3 years, we have to pay this man

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

I never understood the hate this kid gets.  I understand fans want him to get sacks constantly but he has been a really good player especially against the run.  He also seems to get double teamed a lot.  Plus these stupid rotations don’t help either. 

I don’t hate the kid. I just don’t think he should be extended for the 20m per year it would cost. 

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

With Donald likely gone he's going to want to be the highest paid DT in the league, one of the highest paid defensive players. He plays 60% of the snaps. 

You can't justify that outlay for the position unless it is an Aaron Donald type game wrecker - Just not a premium position and as some of you point out we likely will have to invest top level money in the more important areas down the road - Sauce looks like he could be the among the best in the league. You don't invest in a top DT before an elite CB. It's not like he's put this group on his back and carried them to good performances the way Watt/Donald/Bosa etc. do - It's been a below average to bad unit every year that he's been here. Not his fault obviously but he's not that guy that can take over games single headedly. 

He is a good player but he's not the most consistent even when on the field, against the run especially he's prone to getting caught out of position. Investing what it will take to keep him would be something you could easily regret. 

You are undervaluing how important a DT is in our Defense. This is not a Rex defense where get by with a Sione Pouha at DT.  QW is an interior 3T pass rusher. His ability to rush the passer, stuff the run, and command double teams is far more valuable than anything else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I have never seen any team pay someone a big contract and not be able to sign the other important players. The way the cap increases makes a contract that looks like a block buster look like a bargain 3 years later if the player is still playing well. It is why Revis held out all the time. What is important is the guaranteed money and that normally runs out big time after the second season. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

I never understood the hate this kid gets.  I understand fans want him to get sacks constantly but he has been a really good player especially against the run.  He also seems to get double teamed a lot.  Plus these stupid rotations don’t help either. 

He really hasn’t gotten that much hate.  At least not since his rookie year.  That’s another strawman by the homer crowd to create false arguments to hate on other Jets fans with.

In reality, there’s pretty much universal agreement, that at the bare minimum, he’s a pretty good football player.

The debate (and he’s not even debated much right now) around him is more, was he worth the #3 overall pick, and if he’s looking for the same, or likely more than Leonard Williams, at 21M/yr, does his production/impact justify that kind of cap allocation?

It’s not unreasonable to fall on either side of that question.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, ZachEY said:

He really hasn’t gotten that much hate.  At least not since his rookie year.  That’s another strawman by the homer crowd to create false arguments to hate on other Jets fans with.

In reality, there’s pretty much universal agreement, that at the bare minimum, he’s a pretty good football player.

The debate (and he’s not even debated much right now) around him is more, was he worth the #3 overall pick, and if he’s looking for the same, or likely more than Leonard Williams, at 21M/yr, does his production/impact justify that kind of cap allocation?

It’s not unreasonable to fall on either side of that question.

Exactly. He's been ok and if the Jets had picked him mid round 1, I'd say he was pretty good value. The problem with Quinnen was you had people like Joe Blewett and Brett Kolmann calling Quinnen the next Aaron Donald and Quinnen has been far from that. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Exactly. He's been ok and if the Jets had picked him mid round 1, I'd say he was pretty good value. The problem with Quinnen was you had people like Joe Blewett and Brett Kolmann calling Quinnen the next Aaron Donald and Quinnen has been far from that. 

Which beg the questions…

Who?

and, also…

Who?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

As someone who feels they understand salary cap, the cap is all a myth. Contenders find ways to sign studs to massive deals. We need to find a way to keep good home grown talent.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Imagine having a guy you could turn into your own Cam Jordan or Aaron Donald, and pivotal fixture that any DC can build the rest of the defense around… then imagine having one coaching staff that cannot, because the rotation idealism >>>> the reality in front of them.