I Love Garrett Wilson but George Pickens.... Damn that boy Good

JetBlue

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Before folks go crazy, no way was I expecting or advocating to take Pickens with the 10th pick, but I was looking at him in the 2nd round, had we not taken a receiver earlier.  

I think Wilson is going to be a very good receiver and does have #1 ability.    When I see what George Pickens is doing in Pittsburgh, I see a SPECIAL player.   Now would he be ding that in LaFleur's scheme?   I kind of doubt it; I also wonder if he would have had to run every route tree in the playbook in order to earn playing time (ala Mims).   

For that reason, Wilson may have been the better fit so I can't really say anything bad about that.    It is just when I watch Pickens, I'm saying DAMN, this guy is going to be a BEAST.  

Again to be clear, I am NOT down on Wilson at all and expect him to have big games against the Packers and Broncos.  He, Moore, Davis and Berrios make for a nice quartet. 

Still I have a feeling that Pickens could wind up being the best reciever from this draft in a year or two; if he isn't already. 

This is how I wanted the draft to go:

4 - Sauce

10 - Johnson II

35 - Dean

38 - Pickens

Thought pricess was the Edge would be harder to get and the WRs would fall but I am very happy with how it all worked out and would not change it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Before folks go crazy, no way was I expecting or advocating to take Pickens with the 10th pick, but I was looking at him in the 2nd round, had we not taken a receiver earlier.  

I think Wilson is going to be a very good receiver and does have #1 ability.    When I see what George Pickens is doing in Pittsburgh, I see a SPECIAL player.   Now would he be ding that in LaFleur's scheme?   I kind of doubt it; I also wonder if he would have had to run every route tree in the playbook in order to earn playing time (ala Mims).   

For that reason, Wilson may have been the better fit so I can't really say anything bad about that.    It is just when I watch Pickens, I'm saying DAMN, this guy is going to be a BEAST.  

Again to be clear, I am NOT down on Wilson at all and expect him to have big games against the Packers and Broncos.  He, Moore, Davis and Berrios make for a nice quartet. 

Still I have a feeling that Pickens could wind up being the best reciever from this draft in a year or two; if he isn't already. 

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And being a fan of said team, do you feel you have the kind of mental clarity required to make such an assessment. Asking for a friend. 

“Pickens also comes with concerns about his attitude and demeanor. He was suspended twice at Georgia, and his focus and concentration have at times been questioned.”

9 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Thank you! Yup, we got a great WR by taking a (small?) risk. 

He was good for a time, but I still say one of the dumbest moves this team has made this century was trading away Santana Moss just as he was hitting his prime in order to bring Coles back.

Terry Bradway was an even bigger nutsack than Idzik or Maccagnan.

• Upvote 1

I like pIckens.  A lot.  Would have loved him in the second or thrid.  He is the kind of guy who wil likely take one or two personal foul penalties, but he is not,imo, a suspension risk like guys like Josh Gordon or Antonio Brown or Justin Blackmon.  Never any allegations of drug use, or sexual abuse, or any legal concerns that I am aware of.  He is a hot head who will do stupid sh*t a couple of times a year that will cost you 15 yards. 

The only suspension I recall at Georgia was when he got into a fight with a Georgia Tech player and got himself suspended for end of Tech game and first half of the SEC Championship the following week.  Stupid sh*t, and he hurt his team, but likely nothing more than a 15 yard penalty in the NFL.  Maybe an ejection and a fine. I also remember him emptying his water bottle on antoher team's player on the sideline to draw a 15-yard penalty.

That is what you accept with a guy like Pickens, because he can also do this for you at a time you really need it in a Championship Game:

BAE42688_C889_4E0A_816E_7C2D4C6DA43A.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

JD missed with Becton and Mims.  He could not take Pickens.  Build a roster and character in the locker room, and he can then take more chances on character.  I would prefer that he generally take no chances on character.  In the long run we would be better off.  

He might be a great/good WR in this league. Jets needed a guy who had a higher floor at 10. 
Call me old fashioned but I don’t like players who don’t let their emotions get the best of them. 

He was off my board after the fist fight at Georgia. The “heart on my sleeve guys” seem easy to rattle when things arnt going their way… 

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He was good for a time, but I still say one of the dumbest moves this team has made this century was trading away Santana Moss just as he was hitting his prime in order to bring Coles back.

Terry Bradway was an even bigger nutsack than Idzik or Maccagnan.

Coles' sidways grab with a torn groin muscle in that Cleveland game is what I remember. But ya, Moss trade is still mind boggling to this day.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JiFapono said:

There is nothing to support this opinion other than feelings.  Wilson has more receptions, yards and TD's (1 a game winner).  Pickens doesnt even have a TD.   Do you just like a big physical receivers who can get the jump ball and make a crazy catch?  Otherwise, looks like Wilson is asked to do a little more from a route perspective and he's produced more, so just curious. 

those stats are mostly when Flacco was throwing it 50 times a game. everybody's stats have gone down in Zachs 2 games. and with the emergence of Hall i expect a run heavy pass only when you must gameplan. if this stays the same none of our WRs will have any stats worth wild. 

i think GW is better but at the end of the year if Pickens stats blow GW aways it will be hard to make that case.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, David Harris said:

Pickens has wow play ability and reminds me of Brandon Marshall however, we can't discount how good Garrett Wilson will be.  

I'll take Wilson all day every day.  He's an athletic freak and we've barely glimpsed what he can do.  If Wilson was the focus of an offense, he'd be putting up crazy numbers.  He's a great route runner that can play all 3 positions and is a team first guy.  

Pittsburgh's offense is terrible.  Their crappy QB's are going to throw a lot of balls up to Pickens and he'll look great at times.  I think he's going to go head case at some point and again he wouldn't' be a great fit in this offense.

We’ve already seen Wilson make pro dbacks almost dizzy in his first few games as a Rookie, some really awesome moves where he knows how to make guys bite on the fakes he puts on, leaving him wide open, even in the middle of the field, and then he’s not even done, he’s also great running with the ball.

4.3 speed, able to dust about anyone, not too happy with some of the early drops but he’s supposed to be a very hard worker who will want to perfect his craft so you could see him cleaning that up probably quickly.

If LaFleur showcases him sometimes this year I could see a 3 TD 150-200 yard game from him as a Rookie, maybe even two.

I’d take Wilson over Pickens.  Wilson has more to his game.  They’re both going to be great though.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Don't know much about Pickens character issues so really can't comment good or bad. Physical skills seem to be there.

I remember the first Jets drive episode and they were having a conversation with Wilson. The way he handled himself with confidence but control I just thought if this kid puts it together on the field, he is a star.

Then we saw camp and the first 5 games of the season and there is no doubt in my mind - this kid has it all in front of him and we are fortunate to be able to watch him.

I do not wish Pickens any ill will other than he is a steeler so I hope he stays healthy but loses every game.

Give me Garrett every day as he certainly has skills equal to or better than any receiver in the draft and a great character kid.

• Upvote 1

no doubt pickens has some talent.  he may have more pass receptions that garrett wilson simply because the steelers don't have as many capable receivers as the jets do right now nor do they have a qb who can spread it around.  if wilson has 21 pass completions it could be 3 each from wilson, davis, moore, berrios, hall, carter, and conklin.

8 hours ago, doitny said:

those stats are mostly when Flacco was throwing it 50 times a game. everybody's stats have gone down in Zachs 2 games. and with the emergence of Hall i expect a run heavy pass only when you must gameplan. if this stays the same none of our WRs will have any stats worth wild. 

i think GW is better but at the end of the year if Pickens stats blow GW aways it will be hard to make that case.

Just like Pickens targets have gone up since Pickett started playing.  That said, Wilson still leads the team in targets and receptions, so we'll see how it plays out by the end of the season but the situations are very different.  The Jets can go 6 deep at WR if they really need to, they clearly try to get the ball in hands in certain situation, they have 2 backs who can catch and they can go 3 deep at TE....and as you said, game plan dictates play calling but I dont think they're focused on volume to one player or the other.  You can see by their play design, they're attacking match ups/area, etc.  WR's run a lot of dummy routes in this offense, creating space and the match up they're looking for ie; the big Hall reception, Corey Davis cleared out that entire side of the field attacking a LB'er who should have been responsible for Hall.  

Whereas, what I've seen from the Steelers, it's a deep comeback or a go route jump ball, there is zero nuance to their offense, so you are probably right, Pickens will have "better" stats, maybe but not sure it means anything about their talent and what they can provide their team.  I think someone said it well in thread, Pickens gives you some spectacular stuff, for sure but Wilson might be a more well versed WR.  Time will tell. 

• Upvote 3

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks/

If the Jets hadn't picked Wilson at 10 and waited to Breece Hall's pick to select a WR (Pickens), who would have been the choice at 10?

A bunch of WRs went off the board after Wilson, but we already said the Jets wait until round 2 in this hypothetical. Jordan Davis looks good, but a run stuffer at 10 is kinda meh in the Jets scheme. Green and Johnson are both guards and I would not have been happy after picking a guard in the first last year. Kyle Hamilton? He's been decent, but I'd rather have Wilson and Hall than Hamilton and Pickens. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks/

If the Jets hadn't picked Wilson at 10 and waited to Breece Hall's pick to select a WR (Pickens), who would have been the choice at 10?

A bunch of WRs went off the board after Wilson, but we already said the Jets wait until round 2 in this hypothetical. Jordan Davis looks good, but a run stuffer at 10 is kinda meh in the Jets scheme. Green and Johnson are both guards and I would not have been happy after picking a guard in the first last year. Kyle Hamilton? He's been decent, but I'd rather have Wilson and Hall than Hamilton and Pickens. 

I was set on Sauce and JJ, so I'm not sure I'd change that but I was looking at Jordan Davis as well and wondering if he would have the biggest impact.  He's a monster, and is a game wrecker so far when he's in the game so that would be an option for me still but I'd also look at Devin Lloyd.  I think he'd be pretty incredible in this system and he'd probably play a lot more than Davis or how much JJ is playing now.

Obviously hindsight leads you to OL but I dont think it was necessary nor did I love any of those mid round prospects.  

• Upvote 1

Pickens has talent, but he has a bit of an attitude. JD is all about good character guys and so is Saleh. Saleh is also a 2nd year HC trying to get his team to buy in on the hype - last thing you want with Saleh, and ZW, is a WR that wants the ball, is calling out stuff like 'receipts', etc. Tomlinson can probably handle him, but GW is the best WR for us. Glad we have him.

18 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

“Pickens also comes with concerns about his attitude and demeanor. He was suspended twice at Georgia, and his focus and concentration have at times been questioned.”

So your threshold for “head case” is basically anyone who isn’t volunteering at the Salvation Army. 

• WTF? 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:06 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans, searching for negativity since 1969.

How on earth is anything I posted negative???? WTF is wrong with you? We can LOVE our players and STILL like other players too or is that not allowed????   I am going to start calling this attitude Jet Derangement Syndrome 

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:06 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans, searching for negativity since 1969.

Glad you said it…….JD has 2 solid drafts.  These kids are playing.  I dont give a FUKK about the rest.  

Im not gonna look up and down the draft comparing.   My main complaint is the Becton over Wirfs pick.  

No major complaints since 2020….

• Upvote 1