You’re the GM: finishing touches to make this a championship team?

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

the weirdest obsession in the history of the internet is the Minshew obsession on JN

It's not often a QB with a TD:INT ratio that good (41:12) has as hard time finding a starting job in the NFL as Minshew.

And unlike nearly all other veteran QBs posters here are pining for, he's a UFA this offseason and will be readily available without having to send over a draft pick.  

Regardless of whether Mike White pans out or not, I would be strongly in favor of acquiring Minshew to add to the QB room.  Why not?  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not often a QB with a TD:INT ratio that good (41:12) has as hard time finding a starting job in the NFL as Minshew.

And unlike nearly all other veteran QBs posters here are pining for, he's a UFA this offseason and will be readily available without having to send over a draft pick.  

Regardless of whether Mike White pans out or not, I would be strongly in favor of acquiring Minshew to add to the QB room.  Why not?  

It will just come down to money and how strongly they believe in White and giving Wilson a chance to compete.

I’m with you on his stats though and it does make you wonder.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DjHoldyHold said:

Would love a TE upgrade. Conklin and Uzomah are meh at best

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Interesting thought, the next few weeks will be telling. Tight end seemed to be a position again last week with White at QB. 

Before that tight ends were non-existent.  Cause and effect?

I wanna see Ruckert play…….  

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Don't  like the idea of getting rid of McGovern. I am tired of seeing experiments on this line. McGovern has played well and has been the only steady presence  on the OL so let's get rid of him. Sign him to an extention os more like it. 

As far as Mosley, he would have to be crazy to sign for such a pay cut when his play has dictated otherwise. More likely we just sign him to a new deal and convert some of that 17 million  to signing bonus. 

Oline starters should all return and we just add more depth there at T and unless LDT signs to active roster then a G/C combo Olineman as well.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wouldn’t necessarily be against it

i just think it’s funny how popular he is on here 

They got to keep this defensive line in tact for as long as possible and that starts with extending Quinnen. He’s the anchor of that Dline that allows these guys flying off the edge and has absolutely earned a contract. I’d also try to keep Lawson for one more year as well. 

At WR I’d try to retain this exact group of guys also and bring back CD. I think it’s the perfect mix of weapons. 

QB is obviously the million dollar question. Mike White is an UFA and who knows what’s gonna happen. I’d love to bring in Jimmy G tho

A good QB will want to play for the Jets next season, particularly with a good draft.

The only QB that the Jets have under contract next year is Zach Wilson, and the right to franchise Mike White, which may not be a bad idea. 

The problem with franchising MW is that is only one year, and Jimmy G and Minshew will sign multiyear contracts with another team.  '

The Jets and the rest of the NFL teams without QBs will be bidding for Mike White, Minshew, Jimmy G and Tom Brady.  

But unlike last year, going with Zach Wilson and finding him backups will not be the plan. 

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

1st round wide receiver next year? I don't see that happening. With the wide out free agency market being what it is, I think there is a good chance Corey Davis comes back next year his salary # isn't looking that bad anymore.

Mosley isn't taking a pay cut without an extension but either way he needs to be back.

I think that 1st round pick might be on the offensive line.

Good break down!

Not to single you out but the bolded part is terrible.

What is this obsession with Mosley? He had another bad game on Sunday, except for his garbage time pick. 

It’s like no one watches him except when the play comes his way and are brainwashed by announcers saying how wonderful he is as he’s late on every play, tackling guys forward past the 1st down marker, or just taking a bad angle when he gets juked. Really focus on him every play and see he’s really just not good, let alone particularly good. 

He has leadership value in the locker room, but on the field they’d be better with young blood. 

To say he’s not all that anymore is a gross understatement. Paying him another $17MM for next year is a terrible, terrible idea.

Fight me.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Terrible.

What is this obsession with Mosley? He had another bad game on Sunday, except for his garbage time pick. 

It’s like no one watches him except when the play comes his way and are brainwashed by announcers saying how wonderful he is. Really focus on him every play and see he’s really just not good, let alone particularly good. 

He has leadership value in the locker room, but on the field they’d be better with young blood. 

To say he’s not all that anymore is a gross understatement. 

Fight me.

I believe Mosley, and for the most part everyone on this defense has earned another year. I’d like to see another year with this unit.

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He has leadership value in the locker room,

and that right there makes him worth it will all these young guys on this team. otherwise you better bring in another Vet. 

but the good thing about being good and a up and coming team we should have no problem attracting a vet who has leadership at a decent price whos trying to win a SB. as long as we can prove we have a QB

Cuts:

- C.Lawson ($15MM saved)

- CJ Mosley ($17MM saved)

- Tomlinson ($13MM saved)

- on the fence for Davis ($10MM), though leaning towards keeping him

Get past the “dead cap” figures; that’s a sunk cost unless you’re talking about cutting a guy with more new-money guarantees still remaining. That wouldn’t include anyone above.

OL:

Re-sign Herbig to keep him at RG; move AVT back to LG; Mitchell starts at RT; Brown’s already under contract so betwen him and Becton and another day 1-2 rookie that’s plenty for LT plus more tackle depth (and if a rookie is all that, then Brown’s expendable or could be in line for a pay cut demand). I wouldn’t re-sign/extend Fant unless he was surprisingly cheap, but he may be holding a grudge against the team for not extending him this past offseason; who knows.

At C I’m on the fence, but without knowing other options (including having the benefit of hindsight in next year’s draft 1.5 mos after free agency) the reality is I’d probably re-sign McGovern. Yeah sure I’d like to go with a new younger guy, but I’m too much a chickensh**t faux-GM to go into the draft without a reliable starter at C, hoping to hit paydirt with a guy ready to start instantaneously (as an upgrade to McGovern, no less). Still draft a center, but I’d want a starter in place who wouldn’t make me cringe if the rookie really sucks. Feeney isn’t enough insurance, and I don’t know how eager Herbig would be to move to center when he’s a UFA looking for higher $ as a guard and someone else will happily give him that opportunity.

There are other depth moves to make, too, but that’s getting a bit too detailed for early Dec.

Net: re-sign/extend Herbig and McGovern; dump overpaid, underperforming Tomlinson; let Fant walk.

WR corps: 

Also on the fence, whether Davis’s $10MM is needed, but when the rest of the WR corps is so cheap they can afford to carry him, too. If Mims stepped up just a bit more I’d feel more confident, but they’re 1 WR injury away from being thin there. I definitely wouldn’t cut him just to then use another high (let alone our 1st round) pick on another WR, that’s for sure. If/when Wilson or Moore gets banged out for a game or two his value will be that much more apparent. Plus it’s good to have at least 1 veteran in that position group, and it’s just 1 more year at not-crazy $ (most worthwhile veteran replacements would net little in savings). 

TE corps:

Nothing to do here. The same trio returns (Ruckert being the 3rd, if it needed clarifying).

RB corps:

Also happy as-is. Hall may not be 100% on Sept 1st, but between the rest of the guys they have and any other late rounder or camp fodder (or young-31ish veteran) they bring in, they don’t need to make any noteworthy changes. I wouldn’t hurt myself re-signing Robinson at this point, but next year’s RB3/RB4 isn’t a serious discussion with so many games left. 

QB:

As much as it’s the elephant in the room decision, it’s really too early to make this call. Depends how White plays the rest of the way (including the playoffs, should that happen). It affects what they do with him, how much is spent on another newcomer veteran QB, the draft, etc.

DL:

I wouldn’t want to go scorched-earth with the cuts; Lawson is plenty. JFM is playing really well in between his knucklehead flags, costs a little less, and is far more versatile anyway. They just drafted 2 DEs and they both look good to me. Extend Quinnen Williams; it’ll cost plenty but he’s earned it and there aren’t too many guys capable of doing what he does no matter how hard they train & try. They probably have to backload it more, but most contracts get structured that way anyhow. RFA tagging Huff is a no-brainer. I’d probably do 2nd round not 1st, though admit I’m on the fence there, too. I don’t know if I’d trade a 2nd rounder to get him back if the tables were turned. He gets after the QB on obvious passing downs, which is far from nothing, but really that’s all he does (however well he does it). 

LB:

Really tricky because they have 2 FAs outside and a massively overpaid MLB. My prediction is Mosley returns, but I’m against it. He’s not worth near $17MM once you take away his past reputation. He’s like Flacco: has clout in the locker room, past his best physically, knows what he should be doing, but whiffs or stinks it up 2-3x for every above-average play he makes. His # just gets called a lot because he’s the MLB starter (and frankly, offenses do seem to target him/his zone). I could elaborate even more but summing it up I don’t think he’s good, let alone decidedly above average. DDavis was a far better player, and at ~34 he still is even with the age gap, but that ship’s sailed. The other two are tougher to say because I don’t know what they’re asking. Kwon was a great find, but his problem for years hasn’t been performance on the field so much as being on the field. Would love to bring him back again. I have a big soft spot for Quincy because I’m a sucker for a nonstop motor, plus he is getting better, but in truth he’s still just ok on balance. Don’t know offhand who else will be available before the draft, where I really want to target a MLB more.

Secondary:

Most of it is set. They could use another safety; even though Joyner has mostly paid fine (decidedly so when factoring in his compensation), he’s going to be 33 next season which is pretty ancient for a DB. I’ve got no issues bringing him back, considering he’d be cheap yet again, but they should draft another (assuming the team thinks the Davis experiment is over). Also even if it’s just day 3 should be drafting a CB almost every year (if not every year outright) to keep trying to improve depth. It never seems needed when two above-average starters are healthy every week like they’ve been.

K:

Re-sign Legatron. Don’t get cute about it; the best kickers in the league are just a few million more than the scrubs, and they affect way too much to fiddle with it. At punter, yeah Mann’s been inconsistent so no matter how big his leg is that buys camp competition next year. He may settle down with the consistency the more he plays, and competition with another young leg is rarely (ok, never) a big investment. 

40 minutes ago, doitny said:

and that right there makes him worth it will all these young guys on this team. otherwise you better bring in another Vet. 

but the good thing about being good and a up and coming team we should have no problem attracting a vet who has leadership at a decent price whos trying to win a SB. as long as we can prove we have a QB

No, that is not worth a $17MM new salary. Make him a $17MM coach off the salary cap if that’s his value.

58 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I believe Mosley, and for the most part everyone on this defense has earned another year. I’d like to see another year with this unit.

Mosley kinda sucks, though, and isn’t going to get any better next year.

I’m not saying he never makes a play; that’s ridiculous. But he’s on the field so often the # of plays he makes, that $2-3MM LBs couldn’t/wouldn’t, is negligible.

He’s not a $15MM upgrade over such players, and he’s slow as **** and that’s a bad combo for a guy who isn’t a thumper as he doesn’t stick his tackles nearly enough without getting dragged for extra yards.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not to single you out but the bolded part is terrible.

It’s like no one watches him except when the play comes his way and are brainwashed by announcers saying how wonderful he is as he’s late on every play, tackling guys forward past the 1st down marker, or just taking a bad angle when he gets juked. Really focus on him every play and see he’s really just not good, let alone particularly good. 

To say he’s not all that anymore is a gross understatement. Paying him another $17MM for next year is a terrible, terrible idea.

Fight me.

Mosley is going to the Pro Bowl. I am not suggesting extending him, just saying it isn't going to be easy to get him to take a pay cut.

He is having a good season. He is the leader of a top 5 defense.

Oh and his interception was sweet.

I will fight you.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Mosley is going to the Pro Bowl. I am not suggesting extending him, just saying it isn't going to be easy to get him to take a pay cut.

I will fight you.

His interception was after the game was effectively over & done. When the game wasn’t done was when he was getting juked out of his shoes, taking an angle like he was a rookie who’d never played before. 

He’s objectively not a good player anymore & is overpriced at a 50% pay cut. 

• More Ugh 1

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His interception was after the game was effectively over & done. When the game wasn’t done was when he was getting juked out of his shoes, taking an angle like he was a rookie who’d never played before. 

He’s objectively not a good player anymore & is overpriced at a 50% pay cut. 

Mosley doesn’t miss many tackles tho as he’s top 5 in the league in tackles.

he’s a leader on this team as well as one of the most respected guys in that locker room. I don’t see them moving on from such a key piece of that defense next year. He also makes plays like this that don’t show up in the box score 

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

OMG I was thinking this today.  We need to start a Mike White \ Chuck Norris kind of thing!  That needs to be its own thread.

Yup I mentioned MW taking over the reigns for Chuck but Chuck really didn't have much of a choice.  We can put a TM  on this and make millions when Mike White completely takes the internet by storm

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

They got to keep this defensive line in tact for as long as possible and that starts with extending Quinnen. He’s the anchor of that Dline that allows these guys flying off the edge and has absolutely earned a contract. I’d also try to keep Lawson for one more year as well. 

At WR I’d try to retain this exact group of guys also and bring back CD. I think it’s the perfect mix of weapons. 

QB is obviously the million dollar question. Mike White is an UFA and who knows what’s gonna happen. I’d love to bring in Jimmy G tho

Agree on the DL, but disagree on Corey Davis.  He has proven himself expendable especially with Elijah Moore back in the fold and Denzel Mims playing meaningful snaps.  That 10 million saved can be another contributing player

12 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

he’s a leader on this team as well as one of the most respected guys in that locker room. I don’t see them moving on from such a key piece of that defense next year. He also makes plays like this that don’t show up in the box score 

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

I will fight you.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mosley kinda sucks, though, and isn’t going to get any better next year.

I’m not saying he never makes a play; that’s ridiculous. But he’s on the field so often the # of plays he makes, that $2-3MM LBs couldn’t/wouldn’t, is negligible.

He’s not a $15MM upgrade over such players, and he’s slow as **** and that’s a bad combo for a guy who isn’t a thumper as he doesn’t stick his tackles nearly enough without getting dragged for extra yards.

I see what Sperm is talking about . Last year and the beginning of this year Moseley refused to take on RB's head on. He would always tackle them from the side lessening the impact rather than delivering a hit that would make them think twice. Same concept as a running back lowering his shoulder and hammering defenders.

With Moseley doing this he always seemed to give up extra yards to the ball carrier. That was not a good thing but I have seen him over the last 7 or 8 games getting more aggressive and I think it has to do with the fact the team has been winning so Moseley is more apt to let it rip than he was when the team was losing. 

With that being said him being the leader of this defense and calling the plays out is invaluable and I have always respected that. So he may not hit like Quincy Williams who hits like a Mack truck but he's a very smart player and sets a good example for the young kids we have on the team.

We'll have to see what Mike White Thinks and of course that will be the final word on the subject.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Nope. You're confusing play design with play. Mosley isn't the DC; this is part of the play & they've practiced it. He moved up to the line then dropped back, as instructed; no more than that. 

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I see what Sperm is talking about . Last year and the beginning of this year Moseley refused to take on RB's head on. He would always tackle them from the side lessening the impact rather than delivering a hit that would make them think twice. Same concept as a running back lowering his shoulder and hammering defenders.

With Moseley doing this he always seemed to give up extra yards to the ball carrier. That was not a good thing but I have seen him over the last 7 or 8 games getting more aggressive and I think it has to do with the fact the team has been winning so Moseley is more apt to let it rip than he was when the team was losing. 

With that being said him being the leader of this defense and calling the plays out is invaluable and I have always respected that. So he may not hit like Quincy Williams who hits like a Mack truck but he's a very smart player and sets a good example for the young kids we have on the team.

We'll have to see what Mike White Thinks and of course that will be the final word on the subject.

Agree except invaluable is too strong a term. Leadership has value, but that value is tangible, and from it you subtract the plays he doesn't make. The middle of this D is the weak spot. 

Just like Flacco's leadership has value, but from there you subtract the plays he doesn't make and the negative plays he does. Same concept.