You’re the GM: finishing touches to make this a championship team?

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think bringing him back at least as a backup is a no-brainer; only way that doesn't happen is if he gets injured even earlier again next year or if someone makes a surprising trade offer. His contract is fully guaranteed, and no matter how sore the fan base is with how he's panned out it'd only be out of spite that anyone suggests they'd rather have the last tackle spot taken by next year's McDermott-type instead.

So here's the thing with making a move for someone like Tunsil: 

• While not crazy $ for his level player in 2023 at $18MM, he will need a new contract himself to make it worthwhile to surrender a pick for him. I don't think they want to go that route with a LT contract that'll be closing in on $25MM/yr.
  • They'd get some reprieve by cutting Brown, making Tunsil essentially a $9MM (net) swap, but it's not nothing that he's due to become a UFA in '24.
  • Plus Houston will be drafting a QB of their own, will have that highest-dollar position locked up for cheap for 4 yrs, and will want a solid LT protecting their #1 pick.

I think it'll be hard to pry Tunsil away, and crazy-expensive to keep him even if they're able to do so. Don't bet on it. They're more likely to keep Brown/Becton heading into the draft, and take someone there either on day 1 or 2 depending on how the board looks when they're up (or closing in on being up). Those two plus Mitchell are enough to not be forced into using a round 1 pick (or worse, trading up in round 1) out of desperation.

It's possible they bring Fant back if his value's dropped enough; a year ago he was looking like $15MM would be a dodged-bullet extension for the team; now I'm not sure he will get half that, and the team clearly likes his versatility, veteran presence, and experience in the system. 

I just don't see them doing any bank-breaking on a LT, but then you hear more than I do.

You and I are on the same page here, and going out to get a guy like Tunsil isn’t anything I’ve heard it’s just a personal opinion. I remember when it was a rumor at the deadline but it never was realistic for this year, however, thinking about the possibilities really had me going

• Upvote 2

The wish lists are great but you need to find the money to make it work.  Zach’s entire contract is guaranteed so it’s not coming from there.
As it stands, we have roughly $15M cap space if you discount OvertheCap’s $17M estimate since their 2023 starting pool estimate is higher than Spotrac & PFF.
Deduct roughly $8 for our rookie pool.  That gives us $7M of cap space to work with.  That’s not even enough to re-sign Mike White if he is the guy let alone Minshew or other favorites.
The 2 best recent examples of short term starting QB deals are the $10M per year for Mariota and the $14M for Winston.
The simple fact is we need money from somewhere because draft picks alone won’t replace the talent that is or otherwise would be leaving via free agency.
JD is financially disciplined and does not seem to be a guy to do a lot of restructuring, CJ aside.
1. The 2022 cap hit for a low to mid 20s draft slot was roughly $2.5M = $7.5M less than Corey Davis is slated to count.  We can cut hit with little future dead cap space.
2. We drafted Jermaine Johnson to be a starting Edge and with Huff taking off and Clemon’s development, Carl Lawson would save us $15M.
My analysis has us paying the following players (all new money added to the current cap):
1. Mike White 1 year deal at $10M
2. Herbig at roughly $7M
3. Upgrade to Rankins at around $8M
4. Quincy Williams at $8M
5. Bryce Huff at $5M
6. Kwon at $3M
7. LDT at $2M
TOTAL = $43M

Lawson, Davis and the projected net pool get us $32M.  That is a delta of $11M.
It is therefore that I conclude that the Jets cannot afford CJ Mosley at $17M salary.  They also might not be able to afford Kwon and LDT, which is where Sherwood and the draft come in.

from what i’ve read the coaching staff loves corey davis - could they cut him? yes of course but regardless of cap issues i don’t think it happens - unless denzel mims really steps up in the next month

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

if they can salvage Becton career and that is a 390lb IF, but assuming they could do that then you have Becton vs Mitchel for RT position.  For LT Brown is under contract but I have my doubts  he will play next year.  Maybe they can get Fant to resign but I hope not he has never played 1 full season I do not think.  If they super lucky Becton has come to jesus moments in offseason and reclaims his status as a LT but nobody would count on that.  With where they are prob end up picking it will be difficult to come out of that draft with starting caliber LT.  They do have AVT, which is wildcard at LT.  Lots moving parts here JD has his work cut out for him.

Agree all around. Everyone - myself included - would prefer to have a reliable young probowler's name chiseled in as the starting tackle on each side well before the season starts, but teams do make the playoffs every year with just-ok & this year's duct tape mish-mash if the depth isn't untalented. Either way it helps to start a QB who gets rid of it fast (and not just throwing it away when he's rushed).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Is anyone suggesting he shouldn't be a backup? 

I have no issue with him competing as a backup in camp and hopefully turning it around - I'm just not very optimistic that he will. Similar to Zach it would be insane to go into the season relying on him. I didn't want to rely on him heading into this season. 

Rendering an opinion that it's ok for him to be brought back suggests it was in question for at least some. That's where my response was directed.

1 hour ago, ncjetman said:

from what i’ve read the coaching staff loves corey davis - could they cut him? yes of course but regardless of cap issues i don’t think it happens - unless denzel mims really steps up in the next month

I think this is where the issues lie.  There are guys that we see as cuts based on production vs. cost, but I think many of them are the guys the staff likes for tone.  Mosley, Rankins, Davis, Lawson fit this mold.  I think they feel the same about Joyner.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this is where the issues lie.  There are guys that we see as cuts based on production vs. cost, but I think many of them are the guys the staff likes for tone.  Mosley, Rankins, Davis, Lawson fit this mold.  I think they feel the same about Joyner.

Agree. I think Mosley sticks for that reason. I'm against it, of course, but am preparing myself for the team overvaluing him again even after his guaranteed $ expires.

Lawson is a no-brainer. Sure he's on the field all the time now, but no reason not to. I think he's gone after Douglas just drafted JJII and Dr. No in 2022. My guess is it wasn't just pure BAP but there was an eye on needing cap room or better production from 2022's JFM and certainly in case Lawson couldn't come back. Whatever the primary motivation at the time, I think that duo has made at least one of them expendable and Lawson just isn't as versatile as JFM if cutting bait with both at the same time is too scary for them. 

Rankins same thing, but unless he's really cheap again I see someone else outbidding the Jets.

Davis is the tougher call. They've said plenty that having his veteran presence in the huddle (like CJM on D) makes them all feel better about their assignments, but that can't be the case forever & wonder how much of that uncertainty stemmed from not just no Davis but no Davis with Wilson at QB.

23 hours ago, slimjasi said:

AVT can play tackle, but he is a dominant/elite guard. He needs to stay at guard. Draft another tackle to compete with Becton and continue to develop Mitchell. 

I don't mind that idea either... As long as we draft OL this coming year.

3 hours ago, ncjetman said:

i agree completely- carl banks said on fan many years ago that you just keep drafting qb ‘s till you hit - just hope we hit soon

Unless JD does something very unexpected, the Jets wont be in a position to draft CJ, Bryce Yong or Will Levis, but they should be able to get Tanner McKee.  I'm already focusing on him as the ideal 1srt round pick for the Jets.  Size, arm, touch and good accuracy.  

On 12/1/2022 at 11:06 AM, THE BARON said:

Great question.  And it brings up another question.

The Jets roster is already impressive and it is young.  That bodes very well for the future.  JD can now draft the best player available.  BUT...

What to do abut the QB situation ??? This is *everything* because the QB is everything.  I cant say which team will win the Super Bowl this year, but I can say it will be a team with one of the "special" QBs.  Josh Allen, Mahommes, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Lamar J, Brady, etc... 

Given that, the OP's exercise can be boiled down to what do do about the QB.  The rest is just gravy on the meat. 

1. Bring in a vet like Jimmy G. or Carr.  And if you go that way, which one ???  I much prefer Jimmy G. over Carr. 

2. Draft a QB.  And if you go that way, which one ??? The Jets wont be drafting in the top ten, so a big decision has to be made on which prospect other than Bryce Young, CJ Stroud or Will Levis the Jets will go for as those three will be gone by the time the Jets pick in round 1.  Perhaps they can go for Stanford's  Tanner McKee. From what I have seen, he is the best of the "others" and may actually turn out to be a "special" NFL QB.   Big arm combined with great touch on the ball and sees the entire filed. 

My feeling is that until you are sure you have your QB, you keep looking for one.  

I'd love to see JD go with a "bargain" vet and also draft McKee. 

As far as Zach Wilson... keep him one more season and see if he can be "trained"

As far as Mike White.  Keep him as a third string guy.  You'll see why I say "third string" during the Beefalo game. 

So... That's my take.  Get a solid but affordable vet QB in place and draft McKee or perhaps other QB prospect with NFL abilities. 

How many QBs are you putting on the roster?  Veteran, White, Wilson, and a rookie?  That is not practical or workable or realistic from a financial or developmental or any other standpoint.  White will command $10-30 million depending on how the rest of the season goes. Garappolo will require $30+ million (as will Carr). Wilson's cap hit next season is $10 million. You are spending $50-70 million plus for the QB position.

Then, after spending all that money, the Jets have no QB.  Why would Garappolo (or Carr) come here to compete with White and Wilson when another team will sign him as the starter with no competition?  How do you run a 2-3 way QB competition with no padded practices in preseason?  Today's NFL is not built for QB competitions in camp. How do Wilson or White develop spreading limited reps two or three ways (answer - they don't).  

Your plan doesn't work.

It's either sign White (and maybe keep Wilson is the back up or trade him) or sign Garappolo/Carr and trade Wilson.  There's no room for White and Garappolo/Carr or Garappolo/Carr and Wilson.  

4 hours ago, football guy said:

You and I are on the same page here, and going out to get a guy like Tunsil isn’t anything I’ve heard it’s just a personal opinion. I remember when it was a rumor at the deadline but it never was realistic for this year, however, thinking about the possibilities really had me going

It would go against what we've since from JD to date, but a big swing on a foundational piece on the offensive line (though it will cost significant draft capital) would be outstanding.  I think we will all see a shift in how JD operates now that we have a legit NFL roster.  We won't need to stockpile picks and hoard free agent dollars.  We can be smart and selective in targeting finishing pieces for this team and then aggressively go after them.

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

How many QBs are you putting on the roster?  Veteran, White, Wilson, and a rookie?  That is not practical or workable or realistic from a financial or developmental or any other standpoint.  White will command $10-30 million depending on how the rest of the season goes. Garappolo will require $30+ million (as will Carr). Wilson's cap hit next season is $10 million. You are spending $50-70 million plus for the QB position.

Then, after spending all that money, the Jets have no QB.  Why would Garappolo (or Carr) come here to compete with White and Wilson when another team will sign him as the starter with no competition?  How do you run a 2-3 way QB competition with no padded practices in preseason?  Today's NFL is not built for QB competitions in camp. How do Wilson or White develop spreading limited reps two or three ways (answer - they don't).  

Your plan doesn't work.

It's either sign White (and maybe keep Wilson is the back up or trade him) or sign Garappolo/Carr and trade Wilson.  There's no room for White and Garappolo/Carr or Garappolo/Carr and Wilson.  

That can be handled a few ways.  I believe McKee would be such a good prospect within the Jets reach, I would not worry so much what do to with the scrubs.  Wilson can be retained or traded.  Flacco can move on.  White should be retained as a back up.  Lots of ways to handle it.  I don't want Carr or any of the other retreads out there.  Jimmy G. would be a good fit, but he cant stay on the field.

Any way you arrange it, I want them to draft a QB.  Preferably McKee since the others will be gone.  Aside from how highly the other QB prospects are rated, McKee may turn out to be one of the best in the class.  Who knows for sure.  What I know is that the Jets need a bona fied franchise QB and they must get one in the off season at all costs

Just because the Jets are better this year, there is no guaranty that this trajectory continues.  JD has alot of work to do.

He is now handicapped because he does not have his 2nd pick in the draft QB to rely on anymore.  He needs to spend money for a QB, so he can no longer spend money on decent players, who help the team but are likely overpaid, like Lawson, C. Davis and Tomlinson.  

He has to find the money for a C and more OL.

Missing on the ZW pick will likely cost the Jets a deep playoff run in this development cycle.  Fixing ZW should be their highest priority.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2022 at 10:14 AM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’ve been wrong on plenty of things (Ulbrich, drafting Zach, the ‘cool shirt’ I recently purchased for a family trip)… but I started the year stating JD had done an excellent job stripping us bare in order to build a strong foundation for the long term.  My prediction was 8-9 wins.

We will likely exceed expectations because we NAILED the 2022 draft … a culmination of moves JD made in years past at the expense of some meaningless wins.

We’ll enjoy the rest of 2022 but with an eye on making this a championship caliber squad entering 2023.

Interested in your thoughts..  here are mine as a baseline.  Keep in mind that the Jets will be fairly tight against the cap.

————————————————

QB:  TBD but as long as White shows he is a great fit for this quick passing system, I re-sign him to a 1-3 year deal at an average starting QB salary.  Let Zach compete for the job in 2013 and re-up Streveler if you believe he has upside to assume the back-up spot

RB:  No action

WR:  Draft round 1 to give White another dynamic receiving option.  Waive the oft injured Davis ($10M we’ll need)

TE:  No action

OL:  Re-sign Herbig to start at center.  A warm Goodbye to McGovern, Fant & Feeney.  Draft a 4th tackle in middle rounds.  Draft Center in round 3 as backup to Herbig and as future starter when Herbig shifts back to guard and we let Tomlinson walk in 2024.  Re-sign LDT

Edge:  Waive Lawson ($15M we’ll need).  Sign Huff to a first round restricted tender @ ~$5M; we cannot lose him for anything less

DT:  Exercise 5th year option on Q; caution on doling out huge contract after 1 big year.  Upgrade the much improved but injury plagued Rankins (going back to his time with Saints).  Draft depth later rounds

LB:  Keep Mosley but ask for a pay cut from $17m salary to $10M.  Otherwise, numbers will likely not work given cap situation and desire not to push too many dollars to future years.  Re-sign Quincy (partly as leverage because he’s Quinnen’s brother).  If possible, bring back Kwon on a reasonable deal.  Draft MLB middle rounds to compete with Sherwood in 2024 when CJ is likely waived due to cost

CB:  No action

Safety:  Upgrade Joyner by drafting FS in round 2.  Draft SS depth later rounds

Shocked to even think this but this roster looks like it could make a deep run, contingent on White proving he’s the guy or otherwise acquiring a capable average starter that’s a system fit.

—————————————————————

QB:  White

WR1:  Wilson  (Pro Bowl potential)

WR2:  1st Round

Slot:  Moore/Berrios

RB1:  Breece  (All Pro potential)

RB2:  Carter or Knight

TE1:  Conklin

TE2:  Uzomah

LT:  Brown

LG:  Tomlinson

Center:  Herbig

RG:  AVT  (All Pro potential)

RT:  Mitchell

Edge:  JFM/Huff  (Huff 10+ sack potential)

DT:  Free Agent upgrade / JFM

DT:  Q  (All Pro Pro potential)

Edge:  Johnson/Clemons

LB:  CJ, Quincy Williams, Kwon or Sherwood

CB:  Sauce  (All Pro potential)

CB:  DJ  (Pro Bowl potential)

Slot:  Carter II

FS:  Round 2

SS:  Whitehead

Sorry you need to add another TE possibly from the draft.  Hopefully Ruckert gets an opportunity but both Conklin and Uzomah are basically JAGS with little if any upside.   We need to add another young TE unless they are sold on Yeboah.

I am also looking at quarterback in either FA, trade or draft (even if its developmental, depending on who is available).   I am not completely sold on Mike White long term and a little competition can't hurt.   I look at a guy like Jordan Love or a Malik Willis.  If we could get someone like that in the 2nd - 3rd rounds, who could sit a year or so (kind of like Jalen Hurts with Philly) I would strongly consider it. 

Draft a receiver with SIZE (and preferably speed), to compliment Wilson and Moore.   I wonder if  the 6'4 Irv Charles is in their plans as a developmental receiver....  

I would also seek to add a more dynamic punt/kick returner in the middle to late rounds of the draft.  We must continue to upgrade this roster and not get satisfied with certain players.   The more playmakers, the better.   

Also I am not so sure I want to totally disrupt the offensive line.  There is something to be said for continuity.   Definitely draft a Center high, and perhaps another  G or T.   (Depending on how Becton is progressing prior to the draft).  

We definitely need a stud LB. In fact I could see us taking one with our 1st round pick assuming that is best value at the time of selection.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, varjet said:

Just because the Jets are better this year, there is no guaranty that this trajectory continues.  JD has alot of work to do.

He is now handicapped because he does not have his 2nd pick in the draft QB to rely on anymore.  He needs to spend money for a QB, so he can no longer spend money on decent players, who help the team but are likely overpaid, like Lawson, C. Davis and Tomlinson.  

He has to find the money for a C and more OL.

Missing on the ZW pick will likely cost the Jets a deep playoff run in this development cycle.  Fixing ZW should be their highest priority.  

In the scenario they “fix” ZW to save cap money, they let Mike White walk?  I’d rather spend for a qb and have less money for other positions.

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Unless JD does something very unexpected, the Jets wont be in a position to draft CJ, Bryce Yong or Will Levis, but they should be able to get Tanner McKee.  I'm already focusing on him as the ideal 1srt round pick for the Jets.  Size, arm, touch and good accuracy.  

McKee is not a first round talent. His ceiling is Mason Rudolph. If he sticks on a team he will be a back-up. Nice arm, mediocre processing skills, which will be exposed at the professional level as they have been for so many "good" QB's on the college level.  I wouldn't recommend dying on the hill for this guy.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree. I think Mosley sticks for that reason. I'm against it, of course, but am preparing myself for the team overvaluing him again even after his guaranteed $ expires.

Lawson is a no-brainer. Sure he's on the field all the time now, but no reason not to. I think he's gone after Douglas just drafted JJII and Dr. No in 2022. My guess is it wasn't just pure BAP but there was an eye on needing cap room or better production from 2022's JFM and certainly in case Lawson couldn't come back. Whatever the primary motivation at the time, I think that duo has made at least one of them expendable and Lawson just isn't as versatile as JFM if cutting bait with both at the same time is too scary for them. 

Rankins same thing, but unless he's really cheap again I see someone else outbidding the Jets.

Davis is the tougher call. They've said plenty that having his veteran presence in the huddle (like CJM on D) makes them all feel better about their assignments, but that can't be the case forever & wonder how much of that uncertainty stemmed from not just no Davis but no Davis with Wilson at QB.

On the DE situation I think you put Huff as a 2nd round tender RFA, which if Google is correct is a $4.3 million cap hit if nobody takes takes him off tender.  If Huff stays you cut Lawson, if Huff is claimed then you keep him.  I think Lawson is playing up to his contact but with the amount of young talent we have at the position he's expendable.  If someone picks up Huff and gives us a 2nd that's also a big win.

Davis comes down to if Mims plays well down the stretch.  Davis is worth what he's paid IMO but if Mims could can be competent at the position we could use the cap space.  If we do trust Mims to handle it I think we pick up another big bodied WR in the 3rd or 4th to develop.  

21 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Sell Zach Wilson to Houston, Carolina or SF for players / picks.

Maybe Shanahan thinks he can be salvaged.

Extend MFW.

Sign Minshew in the offseason to backup MFW.

We need to find out more about Mike white last month of the season.  Minshew is a backup nothing more.  If we are signing minshew that means we also just resigned white to a long term deal

We need to find out more about Mike white last month of the season.  Minshew is a backup nothing more.  If we are signing minshew that means we also just resigned white to a long term deal
I think MW has shown more than enough to justify his position as a solid Backup. Let's see how he does this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

They need another high end receiving threat, whether it is tight end or WR - preferably both.
Right now its the Garrett Wilson show. Everyone else is bleh. 
Yeah .. would love to see a big bodied possession guy that can win contested balls.

No way we're relying on Mitchell/Becton to cover a starting tackle spot - That would be insane. Fant's injury and poor play at the beginning of the year may have reduced his demands somewhat. If not him then try and find another middle of the road veteran in free agency - Worst case scenario you move AVT back out to right tackle where he shined this year and plug someone in at guard. We really botched the tackle situation by not assuring Moses of a starting spot and bringing him back. Should have been Becton who was told to wait for his chance. Moses is killing it in Baltimore at $5m per year - Sickening.

QB is still the big need for this team. I like White, I like him more than most but I think his contract situation could get messy regardless of how he plays. He has tremendous value as a backup - That much he's already shown - If he keeps playing the way he is then he'd be stupid not to test free agency and watch some team overpay for him. Brock Osweiler once got $37m guaranteed - I'm pretty sure White can get even one more team to believe him long term whether the Jets do or not. Ideally we'd bring White back on a high end backup/low range starter contract with another veteran to compete for the starting job. Garoppolo is still my preferred option and having him and White both would ease the injury concerns some. Doubt it will happen though. Fully expecting Mike White to leave and Andy f*cking Dalton to compete with Zach. 

Addition by subtraction.  Move on from both Zach and Moore.   Moore is talented but he's a cancer.  Zach probably will be good in 7 years after sitting behind a  HOF QB and HOF HC.  Not going to happen here. 

Draft a WR with our 1 or 2.  Hang on to Davis for one more year.  Add another guard in the draft and FA.  Try and grab a big back and LB in the draft.

Get rid of Flacco and try and add a good veteran QB and a draft prospect for the QB room behind White.

A lot depends on if JD thinks Becton is viable moving forward.  We need another guard but if Becton is done we probably need a LT sooner than later.  

9 hours ago, Dax89 said:

On the DE situation I think you put Huff as a 2nd round tender RFA, which if Google is correct is a $4.3 million cap hit if nobody takes takes him off tender.  If Huff stays you cut Lawson, if Huff is claimed then you keep him.  I think Lawson is playing up to his contact but with the amount of young talent we have at the position he's expendable.  If someone picks up Huff and gives us a 2nd that's also a big win.

Davis comes down to if Mims plays well down the stretch.  Davis is worth what he's paid IMO but if Mims could can be competent at the position we could use the cap space.  If we do trust Mims to handle it I think we pick up another big bodied WR in the 3rd or 4th to develop.  

I would not be happy losing Huff for a 2nd round pick.  He is too valuable

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

??! I said White has shown more than enough to be a solid Backup ... Didn't even mention Zach ... What is wrong with you bro ?

Too many are caught up in the Mike White Hysteria. I get it. Compared to how Zach was playing, he looks like a world beater. But, in NFL circles the current view of Mike White is that of a back-up or, if he continues to play well, a transitional starter while you look for your QB. Only Jet fans think he is a FQB.

Too many are caught up in the Mike White Hysteria. I get it. Compared to how Zach was playing, he looks like a world beater. But, in NFL circles the current view of Mike White is that of a back-up or, if he continues to play well, a transitional starter while you look for your QB. Only Jet fans think he is a FQB.
Thank you .. well said.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

No way we're relying on Mitchell/Becton to cover a starting tackle spot - That would be insane. Fant's injury and poor play at the beginning of the year may have reduced his demands somewhat. If not him then try and find another middle of the road veteran in free agency - Worst case scenario you move AVT back out to right tackle where he shined this year and plug someone in at guard. We really botched the tackle situation by not assuring Moses of a starting spot and bringing him back. Should have been Becton who was told to wait for his chance. Moses is killing it in Baltimore at $5m per year - Sickening.

QB is still the big need for this team. I like White, I like him more than most but I think his contract situation could get messy regardless of how he plays. He has tremendous value as a backup - That much he's already shown - If he keeps playing the way he is then he'd be stupid not to test free agency and watch some team overpay for him. Brock Osweiler once got $37m guaranteed - I'm pretty sure White can get even one more team to believe him long term whether the Jets do or not. Ideally we'd bring White back on a high end backup/low range starter contract with another veteran to compete for the starting job. Garoppolo is still my preferred option and having him and White both would ease the injury concerns some. Doubt it will happen though. Fully expecting Mike White to leave and Andy f*cking Dalton to compete with Zach. 

Easy to say now after what we just learned about Mitchell ;).  How things change quickly; he played so well his first week back.

Good point on Osweiler.  My hope is that White realizes the Jets are the perfect situation for him and they get a fair incentive laden deal done prior to free agency …. IF White balls out the next few games.

Garopollo can’t stay healthy.  Why take that risk?  Plus they would never be able to sign / afford both.

58 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Respectfully … are you in NFL circles?  Many here are taking a wait and see approach but understand the cost might skyrocket if we wait too long.  

I asked you the other day what is your definition of a FQB?  An elite top 10 QB?  Where exactly are we going to find one, and how long are you planning to wait, how much risk are you willing to take and how much are you willing to pay?

Here is the rub  … the Jets are a win now team that is one of the tightest in the NFL against next year’s cap.  They can’t afford a FQB in the top 10 mold without trading significant assets (incl existing players).  It’s just not in the realm of possibility.

So let’s debate rather than throwing out narratives.  What’s your plan?

Just now, K_O_Brien said:

Let the Mike White thing play itself out. 

Then hope that Carr shakes free. If he doesn't, sign Minshew, who will beat out Zach and become the 2023 starter. 

If Minshew works, great. If it doesn't, Saleh needs to lose LeFleur/Calabrese and we then draft a rookie QB in 2024. 

This is not a plan.  Minshew may have better  stats, but he is in the same boat as White.  A guy that nobody thinks can be a top half starting QB.  If anybody did they would have decent sized contracts.  There is no reason to tie the entire offense to those 2 guys.  Particularly when there is no reason to beleive that LaFleur was tied to Zach or the problem with his lack of development.  They deserve another chance at molding an actual prospect.