Rosenblatt article on offensive collapse: Zach sucked, players preffered Mike White

T0mShane

Zach needs to redshirt the entire season next year. He either proves he can play or never sees the field again.

It is amazing to me what a miss this was. .. shakes my confidence in JD to the core. It was ok to draft him if they saw the holes.in his games and agreed to project redshirt him. But they didn't. How does this staff survive ??

The lack of a development plan for Zach is unforgivable. The let Zach be Zach approach was not a plan.

Carr or Rodgers are the only only choices at QB this year. Preferably attached to an OC. ... The longer this search goes on the less likely it seems like the team will land any of these guys.

Unbelievably flabbergasted by the ineptitude... Also ... The OL coach firing... Can someone explain that to me ... The guy managed a triage unit.

.so depressed.

Also shed light on Moore .. one thing was left unexplained... Why did no teammate at least support Moore during his exile. Weird. He handled it wrong .. but feels like his frustration was justified.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, football guy said:

LaFleur didn't hate Zach. The problem was that he had an expectation out of Zach but was not willing or able to put in the work with Zach to get him where he wanted him to be. Instead of easing him into that or taking more of a hands-on approach with him, he simply stuck to his scheme and wanted the player to figure out how to meet the expectations of him with his positional coach. There was no room for the player to ask the coordinator "why"... When LaFleur felt the heat, he blamed it on the QB. I don't think he did so with malice, but instead of confronting any issues that were present, his strategy was to avoid it or cast people off to the side to figure it out on their own time... 

It's not a scheme thing, it's a Mike LaFleur thing. Look at how the Shanahan's operated with RGIII. It was arguably the opposite of what we did with Zach. They built an offense around what RGIII did well, and it was RGIII who petitioned them to run less and throw from the pocket more when the Shanahans knew he wasn't ready for it. When Kyle went to coach in Cleveland, he decided to leave the organization because they wanted to start Johnny Manziel in year 2 when Kyle said he was not ready. Look at how Sean McVay adjusted his offense by implementing spread/air raid into his scheme in order to accommodate Goff. Look at what Matt LaFleur did to accommodate Marcus Mariota. Yes they tend to be a little stricter than most, but not nearly as rigid as Mike LaFleur was. Everything needed to be perfect for his offense to succeed, and if it wasn't perfect it was downright horrible. Most offenses can't operate with such slim margins for error. 

If this post is an indictment of Mike LeFleur my friend.

If what you are saying is 50% true then MLF should not have been any where near the OC position or in a position to develop a QB!

Your post screams Incompetence!!

Good Grief!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Brain farted a new thread with my reaction ... I'll post my thoughts here .. where they probably should have been all along.
...................... .............. .........

Zach needs to redshirt the entire season next year. He either proves he can play or never sees the field again.

It is amazing to me what a miss this was. .. shakes my confidence in JD to the core. It was ok to draft him if they saw the holes.in his games and agreed to project redshirt him. But they didn't. How does this staff survive ??

The lack of a development plan for Zach is unforgivable. The let Zach be Zach approach was not a plan.

Carr or Rodgers are the only only choices at QB this year. Preferably attached to an OC. ... The longer this search goes on the less likely it seems like the team will land any of these guys.

Unbelievably flabbergasted by the ineptitude... Also ... The OL coach firing... Can someone explain that to me ... The guy managed a triage unit.

.so depressed.

Also shed light on Moore .. one thing was left unexplained... Why did no teammate at least support Moore during his exile. Weird. He handled it wrong .. but feels like his frustration was justified.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

.so depressed.

Zach is terrible. I keep hearing that MLF failed to adapt to Zach which is false. Zach is just trash. You cant adapt to someone missing basic throws. When we get a new OC and he also cant stop Zach from being garbage, I cant wait to see who the finger is going at next

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Team archer said:

Zach is terrible. I keep hearing that MLF failed to adapt to Zach which is false. Zach is just trash. You cant adapt to someone missing basic throws. When we get a new OC and he also cant stop Zach from being garbage, I cant wait to see who the finger is going at next

I think both things are true. Jets failed to properly develop Zach and also Zach just sucks. I think he is too broken to ever be fixed but I could be wrong.

If we had a coach like daboll or some other offensive guru, there’s no way Zach looks as bad as he did these last 2 years. In my opinion atleast. 

That’s also why I didn’t want to hire a defensive coach like saleh in the first place. Did we really expect a defensive guy to develop a qb? Everything fell on Lafleur and apparently he wasn’t very good at telling people what they’re doing wrong. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

.so depressed.

It’s everyone else’s  fault why Zach sucks 

It’s everyone else’s  fault why Zach sucks 
Not sure how you interpreted my post to mean Zach didn't suck. It actually stated he was not ready to play. Even said how incredible it was that the Scouting department and JD missed so hard on that pick.

• Upvote 1

I think the real question is ... If Zach was clearly not ready .. and it is pretty clear now that he was far from ready... Why did they trot him out there ? It seems like malpractice.

The second part is the inability to develop him.... Which in my mind is forgivable if there were a plan in place that failed .. seems like there was no plan and Lafleur left it up to Zach to figure it out.

• Upvote 1

LaFleur lighting up the scoreboard in LA won’t be a good look for Joe Douglas

The entire coaching staff felt beholden to ZW from day 1 because the GM idiotically went all in 

I’ll never forget the smile on LaFleur’s face when he embraced MW after the win over the Bengals

Sounds like every opportunity to crack open the door for a non-ZW option at QB was embraced by LaFleur and the locker room because they knew from the jump ZW was a scrub 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The entire coaching staff felt beholden to ZW from day 1 because the GM idiotically went all in 

I’ll never forget the smile on LaFleur’s face when he embraced MW after the win over the Bengals

Sounds like every opportunity to crack open the door for a non-ZW option at QB was embraced by LaFleur and the locker room because they knew from the jump ZW was a scrub 

Yet another one who thinks it's all Zach's fault and that LaFleur is a victim.  Wow.  That's just insane.  I never want to see Zach Wilson again in a Jets uni... thats how bad he is... but I don't con myself into thinking that LaFleur was competent as OC.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The beat guys need to get the story of Zach’s drafting, from January until training camp. The guy who ****ed this up is the one who promised the world to Zach Wilson and his people, which I would imagine to be Douglas. I simply can’t imagine any coach—no matter how arrogant—would have looked at Zach Wilson’s physical stature, level of competition, or level of maturity and concluded that he was going to be able to handle what came with playing QB in New York. And this was decided right around the draft when they dumped Darnold. 

Wilson's defenders have said over and over he's as big as Drew Brees. Ignores physically he's closer to a high shcool freshman than a man. Want to compare the "small school" thing to Josh Allen, but again, Allen is a huge guy who the big conferences somehow missed. If you are goingh to go outside big conference QBs to take one that high, it has to be a can't miss pick. And Wilson is not close to that. He's a walking collection of red flags.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The beat guys need to get the story of Zach’s drafting, from January until training camp. The guy who ****ed this up is the one who promised the world to Zach Wilson and his people, which I would imagine to be Douglas. I simply can’t imagine any coach—no matter how arrogant—would have looked at Zach Wilson’s physical stature, level of competition, or level of maturity and concluded that he was going to be able to handle what came with playing QB in New York. And this was decided right around the draft when they dumped Darnold. 

I mean at this point is there any doubt…

4873D7C2-C05A-4548-A75C-2F0D3E21A6B2.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Wilson's defenders have said over and over he's as big as Drew Brees. Ignores physically he's closer to a high shcool freshman than a man. Want to compare the "small school" thing to Josh Allen, but again, Allen is a huge guy who the big conferences somehow missed. If you are goingh to go outside big conference QBs to take one that high, it has to be a can't miss pick. And Wilson is not close to that. He's a walking collection of red flags.  

Yeah but he threw a nice tight spiral in shorts and a tshirt on his pro day

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I was reminded that Wilson was never subjected to any sort of athletic testing pre-draft and all of his height-weight measurables came from his pro day. I was listening to a draft thing about wee Bryce Young and one of the hosts brought up that the last few first-round QBs in the same size range were Manziel and Zach Wilson. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean at this point is there any doubt…

4873D7C2-C05A-4548-A75C-2F0D3E21A6B2.jpeg

I think even if it was entirely Woody-driven, Douglas would have still operated a little more cautiously with his backups. Like, Woody could have demanded Zach because of the JetBlue/affluenza ties, but if Douglas was opposed, he would have brought in Minshew, etc. The fact that he enthusiastically cleared the decks makes me think it was his call

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine having Justin Fields and Zach Wilson in front of you and you own a sports team; one dude is an all world athlete, considered the #2 QB prospect on the planet just slightly behind "a generational talent", who played 2 of the best programs in the country and you witnessed go head to head w/ said "generational talent" and the dude whipped the floor in comparison, while putting up one of the gutsiest performance in college Football history where he ended up throwing as many TD's (6) than incompletions (6) and then a few weeks later, you get to meet these 2 in person and you're llike yeah, give me this petite little kid from Utah who plays nobody and kind of sucks and doesnt do anything that translates well over this all world stud athlete Adonis w/ a Harvard brain.

Literally, the 7 year old picking teams on the playground would have made more sound decision.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I think even if it was entirely Woody-driven, Douglas would have still operated a little more cautiously with his backups. Like, Woody could have demanded Zach because of the JetBlue/affluenza ties, but if Douglas was opposed, he would have brought in Minshew, etc. The fact that he enthusiastically cleared the decks makes me think it was his call

I think it’s pretty out in the open now his teammates at BYU didn’t like him. He lost to Coastal Carolina. Played like crap. Took a cheap shot in the game and his team didn’t exactly come to his defense. He was watching preseason games from a luxury suite this year while he was hurt (which was one of the more bizarre things I’ve ever seen). Now the latest stuff where the Jets locker room didn’t like him at all either. What the hell did the Jets do predraft? The same goes for Becton. I mean us casuals could tell from afar these guys had personalities that weren’t going to work. I mean just that alone was a big enough flag to avoid.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Has any other QB in the history of the NFL frequently dirted the ball in year two?  I mean if they were dirting the ball in year one they never see year two, right?  Jets....  :( 

• Upvote 1

It just seems typically Woody to tell Lafleur he can stay but will not be renewed.   The current staff is dead in the water.   

Each of JD and Saleh screwed up this situation in their own ways.  If Woody thinks they have learned from this process and are the right team to take the team forward, he should give them 1-2 year extensions-from at least an offensive coaching perspective they are starting over.  JD’s contract should perfectly overlap Saleh’s.  

Otherwise the Jets should just clean house and start over.  I think there is justification for that.  I just wonder who is coming here to be subjected to the same thing.  Once JD selected Wilson , Woody was going to be attached to his investment for 4 years.  The question we will want to know is who really wanted Wilson, and what did MLF and Saleh think before he was drafted.  

Limbo for this staff will not be pretty.   I worry about short-term decisionmaking.  I see this as a one year build up.  Too many holes for 2023. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think it’s pretty out in the open now his teammates at BYU didn’t like him. He lost to Coastal Carolina. Played like crap. Took a cheap shot in the game and his team didn’t exactly come to his defense. He was watching preseason games from a luxury suite this year while he was hurt (which was one of the more bizarre things I’ve ever seen). Now the latest stuff where the Jets locker room didn’t like him at all either. What the hell did the Jets do predraft? The same goes for Becton. I mean us casuals could tell from afar these guys had personality’s that weren’t going to work. I mean just that alone was a big enough flag to avoid.

The BYU conclusions you are drawing are T0m approved, but wrong lol.

The entire team went on the field baseball fight style.  Did you expect them to throw punches? 

Open competition for QB so the team did not vote either QB captain while it worked itself out.  

I watched sideline stuff at a game and Zach seemed very well liked at BYU.  

I think he’d be fine in the locker room if he was playing better.  He’s not a red flag at all for that.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The BYU conclusions you are drawing are T0m approved, but wrong lol.

The entire team went on the field baseball fight style.  Did you expect them to throw punches? 

Open competition for QB so the team did not vote either QB captain while it worked itself out.  

I watched sideline stuff at a game and Zach seemed very well liked.  

Phil Mushnick is often a Grandpa Simpson figure here in NY, bemoaning things that may not have been really all that great in the past as opposed to 2023. But he dropped this tidbit in his NY Post column earlier this week. This could not have endeared Wilson to his teammates. It's a bad look; he wasn't disabled, he had a very minor knee injury. Numerous people have noted all season while White, Flacco and Streveler appear often to be talking during games, but Wilson looks like he mostly keeps to himself. Don't get that.

"Zach didn’t get guidance from QB vets, or LaFleur

Interesting that recently dismissed Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur last week said QB Zach Wilson would have benefitted had he been on the sidelines learning from veteran QBs as they played.

That brought to mind the tough-to-shake images from this season’s Jets preseason telecast on CBS. Several times they showed an injured Wilson seated in a PSL Stadium luxury box, having a drink and a good time while watching the game with friends.

Seemed Wilson should have been in school that day, on the sideline or in a booth with an assistant coach, learning something about defenses and more about quarterbacking, perhaps to pick up something that could benefit him and his team during the season.

But it was time wasted.

Another fella who I’d like to be seated beside during a football game: Jets QB Mike White."

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

It just seems typically Woody to tell Lafleur he can stay but will not be renewed.   The current staff is dead in the water.   

Each of JD and Saleh screwed up this situation in their own ways.  If Woody thinks they have learned from this process and are the right team to take the team forward, he should give them 1-2 year extensions-from at least an offensive coaching perspective they are starting over.  JD’s contract should perfectly overlap Saleh’s.  

Otherwise the Jets should just clean house and start over.  I think there is justification for that.  I just wonder who is coming here to be subjected to the same thing.  Once JD selected Wilson , Woody was going to be attached to his investment for 4 years.  The question we will want to know is who really wanted Wilson, and what did MLF and Saleh think before he was drafted.  

Limbo for this staff will not be pretty.   I worry about short-term decisionmaking.  I see this as a one year build up.  Too many holes for 2023. 

I think there was some potential for the Saleh/Douglas thing to work, but they are now at the point of the cycle where the short term job security stuff they are gonna want to do is directly at odds with the long term interest of the team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Wow, there is some revisionist history in this thread.   Saying Zach was not well liked is bullsh*t.   His measurables were fine.   Not great but fine.  I think the issue from this time period is it was a COVID draft and teams were not allowed to interview players in person or bring them in for personal workouts.    The jets gambled on Zach and failed.    Most (Matt Waldman is one of few I can think of who didn’t like Zach) people had Zach ranked highly.  Perhaps they should have punted on drafting a QB that year.   But the fans and everyone would have rioted if the Jets brought back Sam Darnold for another year, so that was not an option either.   

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

And if he goes to the Rams and their O struggles will the narrative be - well the Jets broke MLF so no surprise ? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Phil Mushnick is often a Grandpa Simpson figure here in NY, bemoaning things that may not have been really all that great in the past as opposed to 2023. But he dropped this tidbit in his NY Post column earlier this week. This could not have endeared Wilson to his teammates. It's a bad look; he wasn't disabled, he had a very minor knee injury. Numerous people have noted all season while White, Flacco and Streveler appear often to be talking during games, but Wilson looks like he mostly keeps to himself. Don't get that.

"Zach didn’t get guidance from QB vets, or LaFleur

Interesting that recently dismissed Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur last week said QB Zach Wilson would have benefitted had he been on the sidelines learning from veteran QBs as they played.

That brought to mind the tough-to-shake images from this season’s Jets preseason telecast on CBS. Several times they showed an injured Wilson seated in a PSL Stadium luxury box, having a drink and a good time while watching the game with friends.

Seemed Wilson should have been in school that day, on the sideline or in a booth with an assistant coach, learning something about defenses and more about quarterbacking, perhaps to pick up something that could benefit him and his team during the season.

But it was time wasted.

Another fella who I’d like to be seated beside during a football game: Jets QB Mike White."

Did MLF talk to Zach about this in detail before the game?  Or was he Major Majoring with his “game plan preparation”.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Then you simply can't understand that in the NFL a QB is the most prized commodity. The Jets and JD took a big swing with #2 pick a place hopefully your franchise seldom holds. I'd rather he swung and missed than drafted two more DL or gasp a safety.

54 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Imagine having Justin Fields and Zach Wilson in front of you and you own a sports team; one dude is an all world athlete, considered the #2 QB prospect on the planet just slightly behind "a generational talent", who played 2 of the best programs in the country and you witnessed go head to head w/ said "generational talent" and the dude whipped the floor in comparison, while putting up one of the gutsiest performance in college Football history where he ended up throwing as many TD's (6) than incompletions (6) and then a few weeks later, you get to meet these 2 in person and you're llike yeah, give me this petite little kid from Utah who plays nobody and kind of sucks and doesnt do anything that translates well over this all world stud athlete Adonis w/ a Harvard brain.

Literally, the 7 year old picking teams on the playground would have made more sound decision.

This is a cool narrative and all, but lets not lose site of the fact that one of the better organizations in football wanted to not only take ZW above fields, but they wanted to trade extra picks with the Jets to do so.

I was reminded that Wilson was never subjected to any sort of athletic testing pre-draft and all of his height-weight measurables came from his pro day. I was listening to a draft thing about wee Bryce Young and one of the hosts brought up that the last few first-round QBs in the same size range were Manziel and Zach Wilson. 

This needs to become a thing on JN. 

No more "Bryce Young".  It's "wee Bryce Young".

57 minutes ago, JiFields said:

I was a big proponent of taking Fields. But I ask this simple question. If Fields were here with MLF would he have adjusted the offense like the Bears did the second half of this season to take advantage of his skills. 

5 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Wow, there is some revisionist history in this thread.   Saying Zach was not well liked is bullsh*t.   His measurables were fine.   Not great but fine.  I think the issue from this time period is it was a COVID draft and teams were not allowed to interview players in person or bring them in for personal workouts.    The jets gambled on Zach and failed.    Most (Matt Waldman is one of few I can think of who didn’t like Zach) people had Zach ranked highly.  Perhaps they should have punted on drafting a QB that year.   But the fans and everyone would have rioted if the Jets brought back Sam Darnold for another year, so that was not an option either.   

Meh, disagree.  J.T. O'Sullivan also had Zach last on his QB rankings.  Many of the talking heads were completely baffled by Wilson over Fields.  You just had the loud mouth blowhards trying to look cool saying stupid sh*t like, yeah id, maybe really QB1 in the draft ie; Chris dumbass Simms.

We dont even know his measurables because he skipped out on trying to prove he was an athlete for running around the throwing the ball far like a doofus in short shorts.  His tape, was bad and all of this was very predictable.

There were many of us who wanted to trade back and build around Sam.  Myself included.  I only wanted Fields, if, they were taking a QB because it really was obvious Zach would be a disaster. 

4 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This is a cool narrative and all, but lets not lose site of the fact that one of the better organizations in football wanted to not only take ZW above fields, but they wanted to trade extra picks with the Jets to do so.

So?  lol  This is just another strawman that has no substance behind it.