Bottom Line QB Position vs. the Team Concept

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If we get Lamar, Rodgers or Carr, all you posters calling for free agents all over this message board can just give that up right now. Not only can you give it up with FA's but you can also get ready to say goodbye to our Number 1 draft picks the next 2 years as well. Carr can be doable while keeping our first rounders but high end FA's are out of the question. 

The only way we can continue to build this team is to work a deal with Mike White and Ill explain.

We need a big possession WR that's going to cost money. You are not getting this with Rodgers/Carr/Lamar 

We need at least one more good to great player on the OL Once again this does not happen with Rodgers/Carr/Lamar

I see people want that last piece for the Defense FS the kid from The Eagles.... Johnson ... Not happening with any of those 3 QB's

With MW at QB a guy who the team loves and has proven he's capable and the game is not too much for him and you can at the very least do 2 of the three above. Plus keep all your draft picks.

If you guys think going into the playoffs vs teams like the Bengals and the Chiefs and the Bills with one of those QB's makes it a given while your team has weaknesses at essential positions you're dreaming.

If we keep White, Sign a big target at WR, Dump Corey Davis grab a FA OL and grab Johnson from Philly along with having our first round draft picks we will be a better over all team for it. 

White Played good without AVT or Breece with these players back White will be able to get the ball out quick like he likes too and this team will be explosive once again. 

Its not all about making that big QB splash when you already have a QB that can move this offense and play with what would be the number one defense in the NFL with Johnson added.

So let me guess, your only realistic option is….Mike White?  LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

So let me guess, your only realistic option is….Mike White?  LOL

oh ho ho LOL great response 

Right now we know he has led this offense over 450 yards numerous times without Breece and with out a big possession WR

We know the team can get better with him at QB a first round pick and a few FA aquisitions

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

oh ho ho LOL great response 

Right now we know he has led this offense over 450 yards numerous times without Breece and with out a big possession WR

We know the team can get better with him at QB a first round pick and a few FA aquisitions

I was joking but I guess I hit it on the head.  
Mike White as THE QB is a bad plan, one that the Jets won’t be following.  Two 400 yard games out of four games played and injured the rest of the way isn’t a plan, it’s a prayer that no one is risking. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

21 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If we get Lamar, Rodgers or Carr, all you posters calling for free agents all over this message board can just give that up right now. Not only can you give it up with FA's but you can also get ready to say goodbye to our Number 1 draft picks the next 2 years as well. Carr can be doable while keeping our first rounders but high end FA's are out of the question. 

The only way we can continue to build this team is to work a deal with Mike White and Ill explain.

We need a big possession WR that's going to cost money. You are not getting this with Rodgers/Carr/Lamar 

We need at least one more good to great player on the OL Once again this does not happen with Rodgers/Carr/Lamar

I see people want that last piece for the Defense FS the kid from The Eagles.... Johnson ... Not happening with any of those 3 QB's

With MW at QB a guy who the team loves and has proven he's capable and the game is not too much for him and you can at the very least do 2 of the three above. Plus keep all your draft picks.

If you guys think going into the playoffs vs teams like the Bengals and the Chiefs and the Bills with one of those QB's makes it a given while your team has weaknesses at essential positions you're dreaming.

If we keep White, Sign a big target at WR, Dump Corey Davis grab a FA OL and grab Johnson from Philly along with having our first round draft picks we will be a better over all team for it. 

White Played good without AVT or Breece with these players back White will be able to get the ball out quick like he likes too and this team will be explosive once again. 

Its not all about making that big QB splash when you already have a QB that can move this offense and play with what would be the number one defense in the NFL with Johnson added.

Do we really want high priced free agents? That doesn’t always work out so well.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Stopped at Mike White

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

I am as big a Mike White fan as anyone, but planning on him as your guy us asking for disaster.  Grab a guy like Minshew to compete for #1, and I can see some reason.

That said, Carr will not break the bank and other pieces can be added.  A lot will change in the next few weeks.  

I'm not sure why Daniel Jones isn't in the conversation much.  He has been solid, especially for a young guy who hasn't had much in the way of weapons.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

If Douglas and Saleh roll with White, they can update their resumes now

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Got to question the thinking that signing another FA QB goes against a “team concept” but signing the unproven, unreliable Mike White is.  
There’s a lot to like about the Mike White story.  The ability to count on him isn’t part of that story unfortunately.  I’d like it to be, that would be great for the Jets.  You just can’t delude yourself into believing that you can.  He makes Chad look like an iron man

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hawk said:

I am as big a Mike White fan as anyone, but planning on him as your guy us asking for disaster.  Grab a guy like Minshew to compete for #1, and I can see some reason.

That said, Carr will not break the bank and other pieces can be added.  A lot will change in the next few weeks.  

I'm not sure why Daniel Jones isn't in the conversation much.  He has been solid, especially for a young guy who hasn't had much in the way of weapons.  

I’d take Jones all day, but the Giants have to sign him right?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

Having White as the day 1 starter next year is a complete failure. He sucks and is brittle like a pretzel 

My Fault for posting this and expecting some intelligent answers . First off Mike White is far from sucking. What does suck is your contribution . Mike White has sustained one bad injury in his career and it was because he stood tough in the pocket and tried to make a play something other QB's never do, and that's not just Jets QB's. He broke 5 ribs on a vicious hit and still gets people like you saying he sucks or he's brittle that's nothing but a childish take on the situation. 

If we happen to get Rodgers you can start subtracting players from a very good roster and lose the first rounder you currently have. Rodgers like every other QB in this league needs players behind him think losing Davonte didn't have an effect on his season ? So If he comes to the Jets what's going to happen ? Cant get any OL cant get that big target and while we will probably make the playoffs there are teams that Rodgers just wont be able to beat by himself. How we signing Quinnen ?

Lamar LOL that a real laugher same situation BUT 2 first round picks gone, Lose players to make room for his salary, Restucture others all for a glorified RB who can't throw when its needed most IN THE PLAYOFF's .

Carr is the only guy we could possibly get away with keeping 1st round picks but forget adding players to fill holes its just not happening. So is Carr good enough ? Maybe playoffs again but try and go head to head with Burrow and Mahomes. 

You guys can laugh all you want but making this defense more elite adding a Big Target WR that's not Corey Davis and making this entire roster better is what will win games NOT addition with subtraction.

I wanted Rodgers last year when he was having issues in GB . I made mention of having Zach sit for 2-3 years behind Rodgers and got laughed out of that thread but at least that gave us the option to Structure Rodgers to our liking and needs and it gave Zach time to learn. Remember this thread when this team over all gets weaker to add a big name QB and just remember I'll be laughing in most of your faces when this team does not produce the SB you all want. The playoffs expose weak teams, just ask Rodgers, Marino, and the rest of a long line of QB's who were lucky to win one SB or not win one at all.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The numbers just don't add up to this being true.

There's $60MM easily cleared from this season, plus over $100MM to tap into from the 2024 season by backloading newer deals or restructures.

Nor is it the case that Rodgers or Jackson "needs" this extra upper-end tall possession WR the Jets allegedly can't afford, on top of the receivers they already have & they cap room they can/should easily clear.

Further, the very point of an upper-end QB is to hide & overcome deficiencies elsewhere; that they don't need every last little piece to be just-so for their teams to be contenders, as though each team you mention is flawless aside from the QB position, and the Bengals, Chiefs, and Bills would all be the same contenders they are today if Mike White was swapped in as their QB.

• Upvote 3

We need a good QB. The rest of the team is fine. QB + resign our guys + use draft picks on OL.
I dont see many posters craving FA’s. We just want a QB.
My preference is Carr.
Mike White is too injury prone.
I think we need another legit Wideout too. Via draft.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

White can’t stay healthy and is limited 

• Upvote 3

mfw did some nice things when he qb.  we should all like the way he spread the ball around and he made some pretty nice throws into coverage.  is he a guy the jets can hang their hat on?  i sure don't know but i've seen enough football over the years that half of the qb position is between the ears. we've seen tons of qbs come and go that can throw the ball 60 yards with a flick of their arm but they have no clue about how to win games.  the biggest knock on mfw is that the jets didn't score in the red zone.  but a lot of this is on milfy who also didn't know how to win games.

we'll see what happens.  imo getting rodgers for two seasons is a great option but mainly i still think zwilson can be a good qb.  but i'm also okay with whomever the jets select.  i only hope the new oc is in on the decision and on board with it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The numbers just don't add up to this being true.

There's $60MM easily cleared from this season, plus over $100MM to tap into from the 2024 season by backloading newer deals or restructures.

Nor is it the case that Rodgers or Jackson "needs" this extra upper-end tall possession WR the Jets allegedly can't afford, on top of the receivers they already have & they cap room they can/should easily clear.

Further, the very point of an upper-end QB is to hide & overcome deficiencies elsewhere; that they don't need every last little piece to be just-so for their teams to be contenders, as though each team you mention is flawless aside from the QB position, and the Bengals, Chiefs, and Bills would all be the same contenders they are today if Mike White was swapped in as their QB.

Numbers or opinions ?

We have differing opinions and that's fine . I would take a good QB and a complete team over a 50 Million Dollar QB and a flawed team every day of the week. 

The point about big possession WR's was easily proven this year as Both Rodgers and the Packers struggled without Davonte Adams and it probably cost them their last shot at a SB with Rodgers at the Helm. That being said there's no doubt GB will falter even worse when Rodgers does leave the team which will prove your point as well in that a great QB can win with less and I don't doubt that assessment. However, most of the times, teams that need QB's to take them on their back due to the deficiencies you mention never really amount to much in the playoffs. Its the complete teams that win SB's.

The perfect offense with a great QB is Cinncy . They have A damn good RB (like we do and will have back next year) They have a stud WR in Jamarr Chase like we do in Garrett Wilson and they have a big target in Higgins like we DONT have in Corey Davis. That big chain mover takes major pressure off the QB to make big 3rd down plays and keep drives alive. How many drives did we need to watch stall because Davis could not make a big catch to save his life ? I'm not sure Rodgers helps Corey Make Clutch Catches or Tough contested catches the ones your QB really needs you to make.

You say the numbers cap wise don't add up and that's fine Sperm but the money the elite 39 year old QB counts towards the cap is a huge hit when we still have holes in the OL and at least one hole at WR IMHO. Its also fine people disagree with having Mike White at the helm but I would rather have the Good QB at the Helm with all the pieces in place than the 50 million dollar guy bitching that he doesn't .

Also, as some falsely stated, I'm NOT in favor of going into this season with only MW. We can go out and get a capable Back up (Minshew) and draft another QB if one pops out at us. We could even have Minshew and White have a competition in camp for the starting position. Saying MW should be our starter does not mean throw him out there alone with baby face as his back up.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Numbers or opinions ?

We have differing opinions and that's fine . I would take a good QB and a complete team over a 50 Million Dollar QB and a flawed team every day of the week. 

The point about big possession WR's was easily proven this year as Both Rodgers and the Packers struggled without Davonte Adams and it probably cost them their last shot at a SB with Rodgers at the Helm. That being said there's no doubt GB will falter even worse when Rodgers does leave the team which will prove your point as well in that a great QB can win with less and I don't doubt that assessment. However, most of the times, teams that need QB's to take them on their back due to the deficiencies you mention never really amount to much in the playoffs. Its the complete teams that win SB's.

The perfect offense with a great QB is Cinncy . They have A damn good RB (like we do and will have back next year) They have a stud WR in Jamarr Chase like we do in Garrett Wilson and they have a big target in Higgins like we DONT have in Corey Davis. That big chain mover takes major pressure off the QB to make big 3rd down plays and keep drives alive. How many drives did we need to watch stall because Davis could not make a big catch to save his life ? I'm not sure Rodgers helps Corey Make Clutch Catches or Tough contested catches the ones your QB really needs you to make.

You say the numbers cap wise don't add up and that's fine Sperm but the money the elite 39 year old QB counts towards the cap is a huge hit when we still have holes in the OL and at least one hole at WR IMHO. Its also fine people disagree with having Mike White at the helm but I would rather have the Good QB at the Helm with all the pieces in place than the 50 million dollar guy bitching that he doesn't .

Also, as some falsely stated, I'm NOT in favor of going into this season with only MW. We can go out and get a capable Back up (Minshew) and draft another QB if one pops out at us. We could even have Minshew and White have a competition in camp for the starting position. Saying MW should be our starter does not mean throw him out there alone with baby face as his back up.

Numbers, not opinions.

Opinion = this offense is a contender with Mike White + Minshew + a rookie QB

Numbers = this team can easily fit Aaron Rodgers

They're more likely a contender with Rodgers and the spending flexibility they still have than with that depressing trio of future empty stadium seats.

All the complaints you have about the team, valid and otherwise, are still quite adequately addressable even with Rodgers here under a mega-expensive contract. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Bah, put MFW on the Bengals, Bills, or Chiefs and all 3 of those teams are still in the same situations they were in this year. 

Most - if not all - astute NFL observers agree with this.

The Bills had some flaws this year as did the Chiefs sure they had the elite QB that will always get ya 11, 12, 13 wins but will lose in the playoffs more often that not ...other than Brady in recent years prove me wrong on that. Chiefs lost to both the Bills and Cinncy this year think the guy they could not pay (Tyreek) would have made a difference ? 

The Bengals have the most complete offense in the playoffs and its not even close . Its why they went to the SB last year and why they will probably go this year. They are playing with a Great QB on a rookie deal and that's the key as to why they can be so complete. When Joe gets his 60 plus Mil Contract (yes will probably be in that range) this team will begin to falter because they will not be able to pay all those playmakers keeping in mind Chase will look for top WR money as well what percentage of the salary cap will those 2 gobble up ? 

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Great post except NOT MFW.  Plug in any other more legit FA like Minshew or Tannehill or even Baker and I'm all in.  I want to keep my assets and keep building my team.  Stay the course JD!  

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We really can't  go into the season with MW and Zach as your best options.  Been there, done that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1