Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

You just used two examples of teams that went all in and won Super Bowls.

One of those with a guy over 40.

This is not the argument you think it is.

I, and 99% of Jets nation, will happily trade a few seasons of current Bucs/Rams shape for a Championship.

Right. Or even something fun to watch for a year or two.

The most puzzling thing about it is "the shape of the current Bucs and Rams" is still better than what we've been forced to watch for the past 20 years.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Add in this is the media market of the world where Farve failed, Rodgers is probably drooling at this opportunity lmao 

The similarities about Favre an Rodgers are only in that they both played for GB, and they both have pretty big egos (as do many qb's). They end there. They are completely different types.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

hold on to your hats, gonna be a wild day. If we somehow keep pick 13 this year that’s a win

deal was already done minus the ink on the boiler plate back in january.  rodgers already had a phone call with namath... told him he'd wear his college # with the jets and would feel like a youngster again. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Good point. Let's roll with Wilson again so we can still suck NOW (and probably still 3 years from now too).

Yeah, I agree that Rodgers would at the very least make this year and maybe next year, a lot more fun for us fans.  In the meantime, it helps to develop all of the young players on offense, keeps the defense motivated, makes the franchise relevant for the first time in basically a decade, and HOPEFULLY buys enough time for either the light to go on for ZW, or for us to draft/find a young promising QB.  We can't go into next season without an actual starting QB.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Little known facts.  Woody was directly responsible for 

1. The sinking of the Lusitania

2. The Civil War … yes he was .. plus he made the unpopular decision to change the North’s uniforms from pewter to blue

3. Ronaldo’s exit from Man United … covered up by Woody’s remaining cronies in the US embassy in Britain

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

You just used two examples of teams that went all in and won Super Bowls.

One of those with a guy over 40.

This is not the argument you think it is.

I, and 99% of Jets nation, will happily trade a few seasons of current Bucs/Rams shape for a Championship.

Depending on the management, scouting and coaching, it's been shown time and time again that teams can go all in, be blown up and rebuilt without needing multiple decades.  The Jets sucking this bad for this long is sort of a one-of-a-kind thing... 

• Upvote 1

if the decision is hard than we should be worried.

when your done your done. like with a GF or a job you can walk away fast. Rodgers taking this long tells me hes conflicted. he either wants to stay in Green Bay  OR hes not in love with the Jets as some make it out to be.

easy decisions are quick. hard ones take a long time. 

even if you want to say that their waiting for a trade to be agreed upon he still doesnt have to wait to say he wants to move on. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Little known facts.  Woody was directly responsible for 

1. The sinking of the Lusitania

2. The Civil War … yes he was plus he made the unpopular decision to change the North’s unifier from pewter to blue

3. Ronaldo’s exit from Man United … covered up by Woody’s remaining cronies in the US embassy in Britain

Well known facts about Woody:

-Up until the JD hiring, he had both the GM and the head coach reporting directly to him. Separately. Now, tell me he does not like to get involved.

-He loves attention and loves to talk about the Jets. Sometimes to the point where it gets the football team in a little bit of trouble, when he should have kept his mouth shut.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Would not have went down like that unless they already had Rodgers onboard.  It was a done deal since January. 

Mostly agree.

Rodgers was still a wild card in all of this and could have changed his mind at any time.  But to think he hasn't spoken with Hackett or Saleh hasn't spoke with big brother LaFleur is silly.  This has been in the works a long time and likely to be finalized today.

28 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well, you are on record that "JD likes Wilson A LOT"

He picked him, or are you blaming that on Woody now too, lol?

Yes, I think JD still likes ZW.

and will be Jets starting qb at least half the season.

I think JD wants to see Zach starting again, because he still believes in him.

Quickest way to alleviate that fear in the short run is to sign a legit starter or to trade Wilson away.  That was Carr or Rodgers.  Carr is gone.  We'll see if he gets Rodgers.

Anything less, the Mayfields, Jimmy G's, Trubisky's, et. al., are barely-gap-filler at best, and would indicate either JD failed to get the guys he wanted (the aforementioned Carr or Rodgers) and/or he just wanted a patsy to hold the fort till Zach could prove him right and win the job. 

And I am on record that Woody doubled and tripled down in the media saying the Jets will have a veteran QB next season, or it will be egg on his face.

Did he say that before Saleh and JD said it, or after they said it.

Hint, it was after they had said it, so he was echoing what his GM and Head Coach had already stated publicly.

We will see how it turns out.

We will. 

Lets both hope it isn't a poopshow.  I presume on that point, at least, we agree. :)

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Mostly agree.

Rodgers was still a wild card in all of this and could have changed his mind at any time.  But to think he hasn't spoken with Hackett or Saleh hasn't spoke with big brother LaFleur is silly.  This has been in the works a long time and likely to be finalized today.

100 % yes... And he's already spoke to Broadway Joe about # 12.  

29 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

How good is Luke Wypler  ... I read he is a Jersey kid and a Jets fan. I think a Center would not be a bad pickup. I don't watch as much College ball as some of  you.

He has all the attributes that you would like in a center. Good speed and quickness in a 6'3 300# frame. He seems like a good fit and with the recent success with Ohio ST Lineman (Mangold) it should give more confidence but i worry if his success is more a function of the Buckeyes All-Star squad. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

-Up until the JD hiring, he had both the GM and the head coach reporting directly to him. Separately. Now, tell me he does not like to get involved.

-He loves attention and loves to talk about the Jets. Sometimes to the point where it gets the football team in a little bit of trouble, when he should have kept his mouth shut.

This doesn’t happen with any other owners?

Listen, I’m not a Woody fan.  I just think scapegoating him for Derek Carr is a bit silly based on 1 ‘news report’, which is in conflict with other bits of information that have come out.

Its easy to blame him, but not easy to give him any credit for anything positive.

Just now, BurntDice said:

This is a non story. He’s a professional athlete. These guys are Uber competitive. All he’s saying is that he’s going to work his butt off 

Not very creative... ZW's got evil plans in store for AR.  I can sense it.  EVIL.  PURE EVIL.. 

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Free agency has to be ..

OL, OL, OL, OL

Draft has to be ...

WR, OL, OL, QB, LB

I'm sure Rodgers has made this clear.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Well, that wouldn't work.

We should maybe not listen to Aaron Rodgers the GM.

Just now, Warfish said:

He picked him, or are you blaming that on Woody now too, lol?

Yes, I think JD still liked ZW.

I think JD wants to see Zach starting again, because he still believes in him.

Quickest way to alleviate that fear in the short run is to sign a legit starter.  That was Carr or Rodgers.  Carr is gone.

Anything less, just about, is a barely-gap-filler at best, and would indicate either JD failed to get the guys he wanted 9the aforementioned Carr or Rodgers) and/or he just wanted a patsy to hold the fort till Zach could prove him right and win the job. 

Did he say that before Saleh and JD said it, or after they said it.

Hint, it was after they had said it, so he was echoing what his GM and Head Coach had already stated publicly.

We will. 

Lets both hope it isn't a poopshow.  I presume on that point, at least, we agree. :)

JD damn well BETTER like ZW. Or, at least claim so publicly.  He very well wants ZW to succeed in this league. It is a legacy pick for him. But, it will not be next season (my opinion, not yours). 

Your previous statement was that you see the Jets signing some "3rd tier qb", you had Garappolo in that group, I would not necessarily  label him that, and that you saw ZW staring about half the games for the Jets next season.

The owner was upfront and boastful that this team would go after a veteran. Not intimating at all that it would be a stopgap measure. Yeah, Woody is pulling some strings on the qb decision.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Or the time that he said "We would love to have Revis back". Only problem was, Revis was under contract at that time..

He can't help himself. Has to be thrust in the mix. 

Let’s take a further step back. Bob Kraft acted the same way in the beginning of his ownership of the Patriots and he pissed parcells off and he was bamboozled by legendary businessman Leon Hess.

After the Jets consistently humiliated the Patriots for 3 years, he learned from his mistakes and changed and bamboozled woody out of belicheck and let him have complete control. 

Woody continues to double down on his stupid, doesn’t learn from his mistakes and it’s blatantly obvious he’s never been held accountable for anything in his entire life.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Woody himself let this story leak out.  He wants to be cheered by the fans for landing Rodgers.  Time to give Woody some love.  Jets good defense, good GM and now HOF QB in place for two years while the next long term QB gets plenty of time to learn under one of the best.

We love Woody !!! YAY !!!

No, this will hell heal Zach’s ego because getting bench for future Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers is literally his best case scenario right now. But  the rest of us? we will likely be miserable hearing how well he’s progressing under A-Rods tutoring. When in actuality A-Rod will be making fun of him with the rest of the starting offense when Zach is working with the 2 or 3’s. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Lol only the Jets. While significantly better than a Lamar Jackson move, trading for Rodgers is a super desperate move to outright idiotic. All fans can see is what Rodgers was not what he is.  If we do this I think 5-12 or worse is more likely than being a strong playoff contender. I hope the meeting did not go well.

• Thumb Down 2
  • More Ugh 2

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

This doesn’t happen with any other owners?

Listen, I’m not a Woody fan.  I just think scapegoating him for Derek Carr is a bit silly based on 1 ‘news report’, which is in conflict with other bits of information that have come out.

Its easy to blame him, but not easy to give him any credit for anything positive.

It happens to some degree with all owners. Some more than others. Woody just can't keep his yap shut  with the inference that he is part of "operations". In that tweet interview I posted it was all about "we" when referring to what operations would do, rather than suggesting that "JD and staff are looking into options about making the team better, and that includes the qb position".  That is how smart, media savvy, non-inclusive owners do these things. Rather than injecting themselves. 

Woody tends more to want to be a Jerry jones type, rather than a Rooney type.

• Upvote 2

Agree with everything except Mims, lol.

But yeah, AR is a rising tide.  Everyone locks in, does that extra rep in the weight room, knowing they'll be around greatness and not wanting to let the guy down.

I know we're all emotional guarded but if this goes through we will have a top 5 QB and a very good team around him.  It will be the most exciting Jets season ever.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Lol only the Jets. While significantly better than a Lamar Jackson move, trading for Rodgers is a super desperate move to outright idiotic. All fans can see is what Rodgers was not what he is.  If we do this I think 5-12 or worse is more likely than being a strong playoff contender. I hope the meeting did not go well.

How can this be significantly better than a Jackson move (who is good) but we still end up 5-12 and it's a terrible move? What move should we make?

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yep, if he didn’t own the Jets he’d just be another rich guy. He is dying to be like George Steinbrenner and loves attention, regardless of how the jet’s perform. 

• Upvote 2