Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

All the complaining about Aaron not making this thing official is really getting to me.  I wouldnt blame him for not coming here with certain media and fans acting so ridiculous.  It is absolutely incredible.

First off, I dont think it is possible for him to rework his contract until yesterday or today.  That's right, he is reworking his contract so no $53M or whatever this year.  He may be saying, use my money to try to get these guys on offense for us.  we dont know but people want to slling doo doo on the guy that has been league MVP 2 of the last 3 years.  Last year he had a broken thumb on his throwing hand.... so excuse the poor numbers last year... That is not an indication that he is too old lol he had a busted throwing hand.

Lets go back to a little exchange salah and rex had after salehs first season.  Rex told him he needed "his guys" on each level of the defense to help install his technique and mentality.  so bart scott, jim leonard and that DL came and viola, we kicked ass.  Last year, homie Kwon Alexander and that DL guy came in and we were a whole new defense. No more demanding the DC and HC head on a platter this past season, AMIRITE?  This year, we have a new OC.  Bringing in Aaron and a couple of WR or even a single WR will get us from zero to 10 the quickest.

David Carr said he wanted to get something done for the combine and signed the day the combine started.  Aaron said he wanted to get something done for FA.  FA has started officially.  This was Aarons timetable all along.  Reporters and lunatic jet fans cant wrap their heads around that I am sorry... 

You dont want this offense with Rodgers and a few other pieces???

Here is what we have had, maybe we do deserve more of this... (stolen during rich eisens tantrum yesterday)

image.thumb.png.d292cd64cb1eed09d63218c8afc25442.png

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Couldn't Rodgers just agree to move up the date in that clause? Players + teams renegotiate & restructure contracts all the time. 

It may happen today, or on the 17th, but the idea that "it's impossible until then" makes no sense to me because both parties have the ability to change that date in 2 minutes upon a trade going through.

He can as of today, but what's 2 days in the grand scheme of things? "Unofficial" trades have become the norm in recent years, so my expectation will be that he will announce he will be a Jet (probably today) before an official trade gets processed. In the past few years teams would agree to trades and it would become a formality when the league year began, but this trade is more like a basketball trade where the player announces where he's headed and the teams formalize the trade after via "sign-and-trade" for cash and cap reasons. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Aaron Rodgers purely as a QB is the 2nd best choice for the New York Jets.  I would have preferred Carr for 4 years of stability but it is what it is.  (In my opinion of course)

If it was just left as that, the NY Jets in the off season trading for the guy even though I dislike him personally a great deal then fine.  We have a high ceiling QB for two years.

But it is not just like that.

He drags it out making this whole thing into a total clown show for his own amusement it seems.

He can't just be like every one else he has to do it his way, which is different than anyone else's way.

Now we are getting into making football moves purely to make him happy, whether they are in fact good football moves or not it does not matter.

The amount of sheer ass kissing by the Jets, the Packers and a good portion of the fan base is annoying as hell.  The Jets should have had their starting QB issue resolved by early in FA tampering range and thus be able to concentrate on all the other things that you need to attend to.

You are being paid $60 million dollars for this year do your damn job and be a pro about it.

And as for next off season?  Well if the team does well or not well he will be musing about retirement  as long as possible putting his team and the fans (in this case the Jets) through a ringer.

i agree. i wanted Carr too. i feel like we are selling our soul for a SB.

i will add a few more points.

what happens in 2025 and 2026? Rodgers will have a 53 and 60 mil cap hit for those 2 seasons. there will be no money from some FA QB to come in. i dont think Rodgers will allow us to use any #1s on a QB. our #2 should be gone in the trade. so our QB will be some nobody 3rd pick. 

if a Hackenburg is there we have no choice but to pick him cause we have no QB for 2025.

with Carr we could draft one whenever we want. if we dont like a QB next year we can wait till 2025 or even 2026. plus Carr will only be 36. if hes playing good we could sign him to an extension.

after winning 4-5 games in 2025 everyone gets fired. new regime will start our 18th rebuild. GW and Sause probably get traded for draft picks. 

is this all worth it for a SB?

so when we are sucking and in another rebuild by 2026 will we look back while we are winning 4 games and watching unwatchable footbal are we going to feel better cause we won a SB 2-3 years ago. not for me.

Carr gives us 4 years of about 10 wins and playoffs. after that anything can happen. Mark Sanchez went to 2 AFCGs and beat Brady and Manning on the road. Carr is much better than Sanchez was. if Sanchez could beat those guys Carr could beat Mahomes and Burrow. we didnt need Rodgers to get to a SB.

i rather have 4 years of enjoyable sunday football over 2. i rather draft a new QB whenever we want instead of when our diva QB tells us we can. draft when when we like one and not that we have to cause we dont have a QB

52 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Ra

Agree.

Randall is a vet that knows how to play with Rodgers.  From I have read, he is a good locker room guy and someone that would help Wilson and Moore as they are still young pups learning the ways of the NFL.  

Yes.  ^ and is the biggest reason to stay far, far away from OBJ.  

If I were JD, Saleh and co., I would NOT even consider bringing in OBJ to this locker room with all these young guys around him.  Forget his on the field sticky hands and talent.  I'll take DeAndre Hopkins for those skill sets please.  I do NOT want that toxic OBJ risk in the NY Jets locker room. Ever.

You know that the Atlantic Health Jets headquarters is built on the former Exxon site that was severely contaminated and took decades of EPA Superfund to clean up before it was cleared for any sort of human engagement?  Well bringing in an insane and oft toxic OBJ could require all that to happen again.  Does the borough of Florham Park deserve that risk?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

There's a lot coming out from Schefter about the Packers wanting two 1st round picks. That's what they wanted very early on in the process. It has come down since. I've maintained that it will ultimately cost something like a 1st and a 2nd round pick compensation. I do think it will ultimately wind up being our 2023 2nd + a conditional 2024 selection that has a high likelihood of becoming a 1st + Corey Davis. Anything less is a massive win. 

What I don't know: would the Packers eat a large chunk of the money in exchange for the 1st round pick? 

It would be pretty silly of them to hold out for two 1s when their official stance is we want this guy out of here yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

I think flying the owner, president, front office and half the coaching staff out to wine & dine a guy is kissing his ass and something you'd never see with Belichick or Parcells

but taking it a step beyond even that and letting him pick which friends he wants to play with is full on balls in face embarrasing

When did Belichick or Parcells go 12 seasons in a row without making the playoffs? I don't think they ever missed the playoffs 5 seasons in a row (which will be the case with JD if he doesn't get this done).

2 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

I think flying the owner, president, front office and half the coaching staff out to wine & dine a guy is kissing his ass and something you'd never see with Belichick or Parcells

but taking it a step beyond even that and letting him pick which friends he wants to play with is full on balls in face embarrasing

So let's say as part of the negotiation Woody said let's do this in person as opposed to zoom or whatever else social technology is out there. Maybe he wanted to show just how serious they are so he flew his contingent out there to meet.

Now let's say that the above was done by either the Mara's, Rooney's or Kraft. The narrative would be this is how a professional organization handles business.

Regarding the players, other than Lazard, who have they signed off that list? Other than the media putting their usual neg Jets spin, what is the evidence that any of that is even true?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I’m starting to think it’s not Rodgers that’s holding this deal up. It’s the Packers and they’re asking price. **** them. 

Packers are realizing that their era of qb dominance is over and that love isn’t nearly as good, and that their run of being media darlings is coming to an end.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Davis is more talented and, when totally healthy, is a superior WR plagued by injuries and playing with garbage QBs. There are reasons to choose Lazard over Davis - the nonstop injuries are reason enough - but you're overstating it here. Lazard is fine, and fills a hole here in a need for a reliable big-target WR, but he's going to be the team's WR3 unless Moore proves no better with Rodgers.

Lazard is a materially better blocker.

For us, that, combined with his historic levels of availability vs. Davis history, could be a big difference.

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Probably Mims, possibly Moore, definitely Davis. Zach I think is happy with this situation, or as happy as he's going to get while being tied to the "toxic" Jets. There's no pressure for him to beat out the starter + gets to be teammates with his hero + with Rodgers on board for 1-2 seasons he gets some time between his last flop and the next time he's on the field for any meaningful snaps. If it runs through the end of his rookie contract he can pick where he wants to go on a short, prove-it deal.

Agreed, sounds reasonable.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

He can as of today, but what's 2 days in the grand scheme of things? "Unofficial" trades have become the norm in recent years, so my expectation will be that he will announce he will be a Jet (probably today) before an official trade gets processed. In the past few years teams would agree to trades and it would become a formality when the league year began, but this trade is more like a basketball trade where the player announces where he's headed and the teams formalize the trade after via "sign-and-trade" for cash and cap reasons. 

I was just objecting to the idea that it absolutely cannot happen because of his contract structure -- of course it can.

If he wants to announce it himself to the Packers' fan base, before the Jets announce it officially, and that's the big concession from the Jets? I can't imagine they GAF so long as it makes him happier to come here, makes him feel like the team's FO cares about him and his feelings, etc. 

Fans want it now now now, if not sooner. Meanwhile the 2022 season hasn't even officially ended yet ffs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

It was all over thread yesterday.  You should rejoin you're missing out on Buttman trying to convince the masses the Rodgers signing will be a disaster the likes of the hindendurg. 

He's not wrong. Hindenburg might be a little much. But definitely an open ocean oil spill of some kind. 

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I just watched Kickboxer I again all these years later because it's on Netflix & I just wanted to veg out one night. Mercifully, I fell asleep no more than halfway through.

Kickboxer is basically a remake of Bloodsport starring the same guy. It's pretty terrible.

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

There's a lot coming out from Schefter about the Packers wanting two 1st round picks. That's what they wanted very early on in the process. It has come down since. I've maintained that it will ultimately cost something like a 1st and a 2nd round pick compensation. I do think it will ultimately wind up being our 2023 2nd + a conditional 2024 selection that has a high likelihood of becoming a 1st + Corey Davis. Anything less is a massive win. 

What I don't know: would the Packers eat a large chunk of the money in exchange for the 1st round pick? 

At this juncture, how can anyone trust anything Schefter has to say about the Jets-Green Bay details?  Not sure I can believe he now has "inside" info. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I’m starting to think it’s not Rodgers that’s holding this deal up. It’s the Packers and they’re asking price. **** them. 

Do you blame them if that's the case? The Jets have all the leverage and the only chance they might have is to wait the Jets out. They want to get as much value out of Rodgers as they can. 

Either way, I think yesterday would have been the first day he could sign with the Jets anyways, so the deal might have been held up by an NFL rule.

Joe Douglas needs to keep that firm stance of not giving the Packers the 13th or 43rd overall picks for Aaron Rogers this year. They can have the 74th overall pick and a conditional pick next year. That's fair value for a soon to be 40 year old quarteback who might play two more seasons, and on top of that the Jets are going to have to eat Rodgers cap hits for the next 4 years. Hold out Joe Douglas. I'm willing to wait until after the draft to get Rodgers, because I know the Packers want to start the Jordan Love era. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Asymmetrical said:

It would be pretty silly of them to hold out for two 1s when their official stance is we want this guy out of here yesterday. 

Yup again I don't think they're holding out for that. They have some leverage but very little. If they're citing the Matthew Stafford trade as compensation it would be rebuffed pretty easily: (1) Lions had the option not trade him; (2) Stafford was entering his age 33 season; and (3) the Lions had the option to trade him to the next highest bidder in the Panthers if it came to that.

Rodgers controls the option whether or not he's traded and the Packers want to move on (see Love). Rodgers is 39. There are no next higher bidders available. While Rodgers doesn't have a "no trade clause", there is a good-faith clause in the contract that stipulates the Packers will work with him on a trade if he were to decide that it was time to go their separate ways. Ultimately Packers have settled for whatever they deem is "fair" compensation considering all factors (I'm not certain what that is, but piecing things together I think it'll be a 2nd, 2024 conditional, and Davis), but I don't think that's holding anything up significantly. If there's a delay in formalities I think it all comes back to money and trying to haggle over tiny specifics.