Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Fact is I'm worried about you and all the other optimists 

It's some wile e coyote sh*t going on 

This team really has taken a toll on your mental and emotional health. Lets setup a couch, ill see if there are any remnants of the cheesehead Sauce burned up and we’ll all talk about this. 

Its ok to be happy. Its ok to feel optimism. :-)

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why would you not grill the jets for two firsts?  Or a 1st a 2nd and a player?  The Jets waited too long, watched all viable alternatives go away and have shown they are 100% desperate to get him, they are already signing players he has asked them to sign.  If I'm the packers I hold their feet to the fire.

A few weeks ago the Jets held the hammer when carr and jimmie G and such were alternatives, not any more.

As of now it is a game of chicken but the packers do not have an owner breathing down their necks.

You're absolutely right and it's funny because GB had absolutely zero leverage in this situation before the Jets played it this way. It's not a secret that they want to move on from Rodgers and that they are on the hook for a ton of money this spring if he is in the roster. They should be paying another team to take his roster of their hands because if he doesn't retire or get traded GB is F'ed. Take into account the fact that apparently no other team has shown serious interest, GB was going to be in a desperate situation to give him away to any team that would take him. Because the Jets played it this way, put all their interest in AR they have no viable alternative whatsoever now. The Jets gave GB leverage to make demands when they had started with none whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

So apparently, you do not buy into the "Compensation was settled a while ago" narrative.    I dunno about that.  There were some pretty reliable supporters of that one.  But just a gut feeling for me.  Are you still on the "Aaron Rodgers is puppeteering JD" narrative, or has that changed too?  Just trying to keep up.  Its tiring.  :)

What's a while ago?  I do feel the compensation has been agreed to but if a while ago was after the top two alternatives were off the table the packers should have been grinning like the grinch.

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

There's a lot coming out from Schefter about the Packers wanting two 1st round picks. That's what they wanted very early on in the process. It has come down since. I've maintained that it will ultimately cost something like a 1st and a 2nd round pick compensation. I do think it will ultimately wind up being our 2023 2nd + a conditional 2024 selection that has a high likelihood of becoming a 1st + Corey Davis. Anything less is a massive win

What I don't know: would the Packers eat a large chunk of the money in exchange for the 1st round pick? 

Why would an insider who claims access describe a deal that hasn't been made as a massive win?

Green Bay wants out.  Anything they get for him at this point is a plus.  If they can off load most of his salary and most of his cap hit it's a good deal for Green Bay.  Any compensation with no bidders at this point is a "Massive win" for the Packers.

If you want to be an insider and have cred don't lick the balls of the people giving you access.  Show some back bone and cred.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Were we going to win the Super Bowl in 2023 with Zach? 

Or Carr?  Or Minshew, Garrapolo, Mayfield, Trubisky, et al?

Could anything have backfired with any of those guys?

Were we going to live happily forever after with those guys?

Not really sure what your point is here Bit, beyond some very silly sarcasm.  

The accurate opinion is that Jimmy G. is so risky and so short-term, the Raiders are almost assuredly going to draft his replacement there before he's taken a single snap.

But you thought he would have been our long-term solution?  Lol, come on man, we're all speculating here, there is no "accurate opinion" looking forward, only a sliding scale of objective to subjective analysis looking backwards.  

quote-never-argue-with-a-fool-onlookers-

• Upvote 1

A few thoughts as we wait …

1. Does anyone find it odd that Corey Davis AND Carl Lawson haven’t been released yet?  It would be courtesy to release them sooner than later so they have more free agent options.  It’s pretty clear after the Lazard signing that Davis won’t be back.

Seems likely that Davis is part of a Rodgers trade.

Lawson is even more peculiar.  Could he be part of a trade based on GB’s belief that he would now be 100% recovered from his Achilles … or do the Jets plan to keep him?

2. Rodgers teammates do seem to love him … maybe he is misunderstood …

3. Anyone else want to do this to a Schefter and Rapoport?

Punch You Oh No GIF by GritTV

6 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Good owners don't handle business that way. They aren't desperate, they dont chase players like that, especially players from other organizations.

Now if Rodgers wanted to fly in and meet in person, by all means, Florham Park is still accessible.

But flying half the organization out to his cave and letting him tell you which buddies he wants to play with is unprecedented and pathetic

We see it differently.

Hopefully whatever road was taken to get it done, Rodgers is our QB and we are successful in 23. 

40 minutes ago, football guy said:

There's a lot coming out from Schefter about the Packers wanting two 1st round picks. That's what they wanted very early on in the process. It has come down since. I've maintained that it will ultimately cost something like a 1st and a 2nd round pick compensation. I do think it will ultimately wind up being our 2023 2nd + a conditional 2024 selection that has a high likelihood of becoming a 1st + Corey Davis. Anything less is a massive win. 

What I don't know: would the Packers eat a large chunk of the money in exchange for the 1st round pick? 

I'd be happy giving them the 32nd pick in 2024

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It’s going down. 

also, this thread is a wild window into madness. You guys can’t make it one night without devolving into insane speculation, despite knowing he’s going to be a Jet 

it is insane.

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

They also lose if they don't trade him. Not sure they want that. 

oh yeah,... GB doesn't want to be on the hook for that salary and still not KNOW what Love is, which I think they are going to be disappointed  - personally but we'll find out

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I just bought that’s psychedelic badboys to celebrate,

325A1512-5EEA-41CB-ACE7-E498EB109C7B.jpeg

beautiful... 

this is it.. this is the sign. Crusher has been told by forces in the ether that it is happening and this is the proof... 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why would you not grill the jets for two firsts?  Or a 1st a 2nd and a player?  The Jets waited too long, watched all viable alternatives go away and have shown they are 100% desperate to get him, they are already signing players he has asked them to sign.  If I'm the packers I hold their feet to the fire.

A few weeks ago the Jets held the hammer when carr and jimmie G and such were alternatives, not any more.

As of now it is a game of chicken but the packers do not have an owner breathing down their necks.

Beause they don't want him and they want to offload cap in future years.  He's dead to Green Bay at this point. 

3 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

no, but the packers have a $58.7 million guaranteed payout due to rodgers hanging over their necks

Yes they do and with that and the fact that they want him gone the jets should have easily got a big bargain. 

If they had set a deadline before carr and jimmi G went they have the hammer but they seem to have given the packers a life line by being as desperate to aquire him as the packers are to get rid of him.

13 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

As soon as he wins one game throws two touch downs and doesn't look like ass out there like every QB we have had since penny. Literally the entire jets fan base will treat him like royalty. 

You get that right?

We are going to treat him like royalty for being the best since Penny?   Do you remember how we treat/treated Penny?  Do you remember his nickname.  ****, we don't even treat Curtis Martin like royalty.

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

Yup again I don't think they're holding out for that. They have some leverage but very little. If they're citing the Matthew Stafford trade as compensation it would be rebuffed pretty easily: (1) Lions had the option not trade him; (2) Stafford was entering his age 33 season; and (3) the Lions had the option to trade him to the next highest bidder in the Panthers if it came to that.

Rodgers controls the option whether or not he's traded and the Packers want to move on (see Love). Rodgers is 39. There are no next higher bidders available. While Rodgers doesn't have a "no trade clause", there is a good-faith clause in the contract that stipulates the Packers will work with him on a trade if he were to decide that it was time to go their separate ways. Ultimately Packers have settled for whatever they deem is "fair" compensation considering all factors (I'm not certain what that is, but piecing things together I think it'll be a 2nd, 2024 conditional, and Davis), but I don't think that's holding anything up significantly. If there's a delay in formalities I think it all comes back to money and trying to haggle over tiny specifics. 

I said this two weeks ago:

On 3/1/2023 at 10:47 AM, IndianaJet said:

My official stance:

Go with Rodgers if we can get him for a 2nd this year and a conditional 2024 pick with the conditions being:

• 3rd round if he plays 75% of the snaps and the Jets don't make the playoffs
  • 2nd round if he plays 75% of the snaps and the Jets make the playoffs
  • 1st round if he plays 75% of the snaps and the Jets go to the SuperBowl. 

...now that Lazard is in the fold, I'm comfortable amending it to add Davis. 

7 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Good owners don't handle business that way. They aren't desperate, they dont chase players like that, especially players from other organizations.

Now if Rodgers wanted to fly in and meet in person, by all means, but flying half the organization out to his cave and letting him tell you which buddies he wants to play with is unprecedented and pathetic

wow  it seems like the thing that bothers you the most is Woody fueling up his personal Jet and flying out to Cali.  

Do you not realize that Woody flies around as do the Jets execs at will and it's no big deal?  Wow!  It's an airplane!  Look how far Woody is willing to go for Rodger!  He actually is taking a flight in his very own Jet.   The audacity.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

OK then the Jets are definitely going to win the Super Bowl this season! 

Nothing could possibly backfire with this old demanding diva 

We will all live happily ever after 

See how ludicrous that sounds? 

There's popular opinion then there's accurate opinion. They are not the same 

youre just making sht up now. Pathetic. None of the above has been claimed.  You're done on this issue.  You really are.

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It’s going down. 

also, this thread is a wild window into madness. You guys can’t make it one night without devolving into insane speculation, despite knowing he’s going to be a Jet 

It  has been very revealing.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Beause they don't want him and they want to offload cap in future years.  He's dead to Green Bay at this point. 

100% agreed, but this only highly favors one team if the other is prepared to tell the packers, stuff it you want too much we are walking away.

The Jets have played this as badly as you can imo giving the packers a life line when they were drowning.

The packers are desperate to get away from him, the Jets are equally as desperate to get him and no other team is in the bidding.

I suppose we will see soon enough what the trade compensation is.