Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

13 minutes ago, the Claw said:

That is way too much draft capital to give away. 

No first round picks (a swap this year if you absolutely must). Draft compensation should be a conditional 2024 fourth that can become a third if the team makes the playoffs and becomes a second if the team makes the SB. 

Otherwise just roll with whoever is left available and don’t do this nonsense again with a 40 yr old qb who doesn’t really want to play football anymore. 

Yeah, let's just walk away, continue to suck, and have no real QB leading the team this year.  I think I will pass.

Some of you are just absurd in thinking how little you can give away. It’s Aaron freaking Rodgers, he’s pretty good. Hear age brought up a lot, TB played till 45. Arod has a lot of Gas in the tank. The jets need to pony up a future 1st whether it’s conditional or not. The hold up is this years 13th which I do not think they should give up. However some of you need to come to reality about future picks or we can all watch Carson wentz lead us to 7-10. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Some of you are just absurd in thinking how little you can give away. It’s Aaron freaking Rodgers, he’s pretty good. Hear age brought up a lot, TB played till 45. Arod has a lot of Gas in the tank. The jets need to pony up a future 1st whether it’s conditional or not. The hold up is this years 13th which I do not think they should give up. However some of you need to come to reality about future picks or we can all watch Carson wentz lead us to 7-10. 

Thank you for the reality check!  My deal is a fair one, and giving up 2 2nd round picks is a fair one, if the Jets continue to suck, or a 1st and 3rd round pick, if Rodgers can at the very least get the Jets to the playoffs.  Remember, the only reason the Jets didn't make the playoffs last year was due to poor QB play.  (and injuries), but mostly poor QB play.

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

Look, I would love nothing more than for the Jets to make the deal that you suggest.  I consider a fair deal where both sides are not happy with the result.  I think that my deal accomplishes that!  The Packers could conceivably walk away with getting "no" 1st round draft pick.  That alone would not make the Packers happy.  The Jets on the other hand, could be giving up a 1st round pick next year for only getting to the playoffs, which the Jets have done in over a decade, mind you.  

How about if the Packers don't trade Rodgers to the Jets, and decide to start Rodgers this year as their #1 QB?  Then would you be happy that the Jets have no starting QB, no shot at even getting to the playoffs, a really pissed-off fan base, and a pissed off roster of players who were ready to be "all in" on the Rodgers trade?

No, I think I will stick with my deal!!  It is a fair one, and I would fight for it!

The Jets missing the playoffs for a decade doesn’t make the trade value higher.

The Packers walking away means they never get to try out Love, who’s clearly not beating out Rodgers in camp, nor can they withstand the reverse of the optics of paying him $60MM to be the QB2 for a non-playoff season, after which they can’t even withstand him retiring. They’re at some $30MM over for ‘24 right now before an additional $45MM that $60MM accelerates.

There is just no reason to cave. GB has no fallback position & it seems Douglas recognizes this.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Packers walking away means they never get to try out Love, who’s clearly not beating out Rodgers in camp, nor can they withstand the reverse of the optics of paying him $60MM to be the QB2 for a non-playoff season, after which they can’t even withstand him retiring. They’re at some $30MM over for ‘24 right now before an additional $45MM that $60MM accelerates.

There is just no reason to cave. GB has no fallback position & it seems Douglas recognizes this.

Yeah, the leverage in the situation means this probably isn't a scenario that both sides need to be happy with the result. Green Bay just needs to exhale because they got rid of the player they no longer want and the contract they can't afford. Ends up being a fortuitous spot for the Jets. If another team was involved it'd be different, and maybe the Packers are holding out for that, but shy of that Green Bay has to trade him to the Jets - so there's no need for the Jets to make Green Bay happy.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think what the holdup is, is due to the Packers continuing to insist on getting the #13 pick this year.  Douglas won't go for it, and I agree with him.  

You seem to think that Douglas won't negotiate for future high picks, and that is where we disagree.  

We can go back and forth on this point, but the end result will determine if I am closer to the mark, or you are.  I believe I am much closer to the mark, but we will see!!

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You have to wonder how love feels about all this. As long as Rodgers is still technically a packer love is going to be back up. If this keeps on going through the ota’s it could be trouble for love with or without Rodgers on the roster.  Maybe Green Bay’s playing to force Rodgers into retirement if they don’t get their price.

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

Thank you for the reality check!  My deal is a fair one, and giving up 2 2nd round picks is a fair one, if the Jets continue to suck, or a 1st and 3rd round pick, if Rodgers can at the very least get the Jets to the playoffs.  Remember, the only reason the Jets didn't make the playoffs last year was due to poor QB play.  (and injuries), but mostly poor QB play.

We don’t have to agree, but giving up a pair of 2s even if they suck is a terrible deal for the Jets.

Fair shmare — they have an asset they cannot afford to keep, and cannot get rid of by simply cutting him. There is no reason for the Jets to cave in the interest of a nebulous idea of what is purportedly fair.

For his past faults, luckily the Jets’ GM is a good negotiator. Regressing to the idea of what would’ve been “fair” from Seattle would have meant one less 1st round pick for Adams (and maybe more), for a safety who was then pining for a contract extension in line with the league’s best defenders - not merely the best safeties - which would’ve started in the $20-22MM/yr range.

Knowing the adversary’s pain point is so much greater than one’s own is part of the negotiation we simply call leverage. Fairness doesn’t play into it at all when the other side is trapped & has no tenable fallback position.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think what the holdup is, is due to the Packers continuing to insist on getting the #13 pick this year.  Douglas won't go for it, and I agree with him.  

You seem to think that Douglas won't negotiate for future high picks, and that is where we disagree.  

We can go back and forth on this point, but the end result will determine if I am closer to the mark, or you are.  I believe I am much closer to the mark, but we will see!!

I think future picks are fine, but not paying a 1st rounder even if they squeak into the playoffs and getting thumped in the WC game with or without Rodgers actually on the field.

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah, the leverage in the situation means this probably isn't a scenario that both sides need to be happy with the result. Green Bay just needs to exhale because they got rid of the player they no longer want and the contract they can't afford. Ends up being a fortuitous spot for the Jets. If another team was involved it'd be different, and maybe the Packers are holding out for that, but shy of that Green Bay has to trade him to the Jets - so there's no need for the Jets to make Green Bay happy.

This.

They are stranded in the desert and the Jets’ sure thing Honda is the only car in sight, with a full tank of gas, air conditioning, and bottled water inside. They are holding out for chilled bottled water. Oh yeah, and a limo with a sex-starved pinup model in the back.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We don’t have to agree, but giving up a pair of 2s even if they suck is a terrible deal for the Jets.

Fair shmare — they have an asset they cannot afford to keep, and cannot get rid of by simply cutting him. There is no reason for the Jets to cave in the interest of a nebulous idea of what is purportedly fair.

For his past faults, luckily the Jets’ GM is a good negotiator. Regressing to the idea of what would’ve been “fair” from Seattle would have meant one less 1st round pick for Adams (and maybe more), for a safety who was then pining for a contract extension in line with the league’s best defenders - not merely the best safeties - which would’ve started in the $20-22MM/yr range.

Knowing the adversary’s pain point is so much greater than one’s own is part of the negotiation we simply call leverage. Fairness doesn’t play into it at all when the other side is trapped & has no tenable fallback position.

Perhaps you are a better negotiator than I am?  In my company, I am considered a very good negotiator by the leaders of my company.  

One of the first things I learned in the art of negotiating, is to look for a "win-win" scenario.  Yes, there are many people out there who would be happy to beat down the other side when they have the leverage to do so.  I am not one of those people.  Sure, I believe in using leverage if I have it, but I never look to "shove it up their butts" either.  

Maybe that's why my deal is fair, and why I think many companies out there would like to have me as a mediator.

I don't think that the Jets are caving with my deal.  You do.  I think we will leave it at that.  I will let you have the last word if you would like.

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

The Jets want to keep their #13 pick this year.  Done.  The Packers want a 1st round pick.  Done.

This is the deal I would broker, if I were the mediator.

First off, the Jets keep all of their picks this year.  The agreement would be binding between the 2 sides, and officially it happens on June 2nd, which benefits the Packers with their cap.

The Jets give a conditional 2nd round pick in 2024, with it becoming a 1st round pick if the Jets make the playoffs, and as long as Rodgers plays at least 50% of the snaps.

What does this accomplish?  First off, the Jets can build their team around Rodgers this year, thus giving the Jets a better shot of making the playoffs.  Second, if the Jets do make the playoffs, then the 1st round pick would be no better than #17 in the draft, and perhaps lower based upon how well the Jets do.  The Packers would have a very reasonable shot at getting the 1st round pick that they want, unless everything blows up on the Jets, and I believe this is fair for the Packers, in that the worst they would do is a 2nd round pick next year, and it would be a high one, since the Jets would have not made the playoffs.

I would give the Packers a conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 as well.  If the Jets don't make the playoffs this year, then the 2nd round pick in 2025 remains a 2nd round pick.  So, the worst Green Bay can do is a 2nd round pick in 2024, and a 2nd round pick in 2025.  Not too shabby for a team that traded away a 40 year old QB, and that QB not getting the receiving team into the playoffs.

If the Jets do make the playoffs, the as we already know, the 2024 pick is the 1st round pick for the Packers, but then that conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 becomes a 3rd round pick.  So, the best Green Bay can do is a 1st round pick in 2024, and a 3rd round pick in 2025.  The worst is 2 2nd round picks.

Now, I'm sure that most of my fellow Jets fans want to rub dirt in the Packers faces, and not give them this deal, but as the mediator, I feel that this is fair, and I would lobby hard for this deal, which is a fair one.

I think it's going to have to be something creative along these lines but I'm guessing GB probably wants something this year.   Remember NFL circles consider next years picks to be a round less.   So a second next year is considered a first in this years draft.  The other thing is I find it hard to believe the Packers wouldn't want to get this done before June 1.   They can (barely) absorb the cap hit this year and have him off the books after that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

You have to wonder how love feels about all this. As long as Rodgers is still technically a packer love is going to be back up. If this keeps on going through the ota’s it could be trouble for love with or without Rodgers on the roster.  Maybe Green Bay’s playing to force Rodgers into retirement if they don’t get their price.

Rodgers wouldn’t reward GM he already hates by retiring, let alone after said GM then further lights a bag of doody on his front porch.

He will stick around for spite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

That might not be the case.   If Rodgers is back they may still start Love just to see if he can play.   There's no good that would come out of Rodgers returning at this point.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

They are stranded in the desert and the Jets’ sure thing Honda is the only car in sight, with a full tank of gas, air conditioning, and bottled water inside. They are holding out for chilled bottled water. Oh yeah, and a limo with a sex-starved pinup model in the back.

So in this example would a fully stocked mini bar be the 13th pick?   I'm personally waiting for that...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

The other thing is I find it hard to believe the Packers wouldn't want to get this done before June 1.   They can (barely) absorb the cap hit this year and have him off the books after that.

I guess it all comes down to how you view things.  If Rodgers is traded after June 1st, then the dead cap hit goes down from $40Million this year to $15Million, with a carry over of $24Million in 2024.  

It would be a great benefit to have that additional $25 Million to use this year.  But as you say, they would get Rodgers off the books completely by absorbing the entire $40 M this year.  

What's better?  I don't have the answer, except to say that most NFL teams would rather spread the dead-cap money over several years than absorb it all at once.

6 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I think it's going to have to be something creative along these lines but I'm guessing GB probably wants something this year.   Remember NFL circles consider next years picks to be a round less.   So a second next year is considered a first in this years draft.  The other thing is I find it hard to believe the Packers wouldn't want to get this done before June 1.   They can (barely) absorb the cap hit this year and have him off the books after that.

I agree.  I think this gets done and it gets done before the draft.  If the teams could not agree to a deal early, then it is going to take a deadline to get it done.  The draft is the first real deadline.  I would assume Packers want some assets in 2023 to help Love's development.  The cap hit whether it is pre-june 1 or post-June 1 is a shell game.  It is the same hit either all absorbed in one year or spread over two.  Restructure some contracts, sign some FAs with more money in years two and three and they can absorb the hit now and get 2023 draft assets.

Maybe something happens this week during the League meetings, but I expect this will get done by the draft.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is a persuasive argument but it only mentions the Jets leverage.  What you left out is the Jets could be getting one of the goats who can still sling it.   If you don't have him at this point you don't make the playoffs and you can forget national TV games and super bowl talk.   You're also leaving out that he's going to redo his contract and reports are saying it will be VERY team friendly (ie Rodgers has bought into going for it and taking less money).   Neither side has the leverage here.

• Upvote 1

I guess it all comes down to how you view things.  If Rodgers is traded after June 1st, then the dead cap hit goes down from $40Million this year to $15Million, with a carry over of $24Million in 2024.  

It would be a great benefit to have that additional $25 Million to use this year.  But as you say, they would get Rodgers off the books completely by absorbing the entire $40 M this year.  

What's better?  I don't have the answer, except to say that most NFL teams would rather spread the dead-cap money over several years than absorb it all at once.

There's nothing out there really in FA to buy for a team doing a soft rebuild.   If Rodgers is traded today they can still sign all their draft picks.  They've already extended all their important young players so not much left to do this year.   Jets window is now, the Packers window is in a year or two(if Love pans out).   For the Packers they value picks over players right now.   For the Jets with an open window they value veterans over picks ATM.

23 minutes ago, freestater said:

As opposed to using the 2nd overall on a huge bust? Or trading up for 3rd overall?

I no longer have any faith in the Jets developing a QB from the draft. If it were me with the GM meetings starting today, I’d put some serious pressure on GB by looking into Lamar Jackson. I would even make an offer. That oughta move things along.

48 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Packers do not seem too interested in 23 picks if not 13, or too worried about being stuck with rodgers. If they won’t take what is being offered pre draft, be a lot less to argue about after it. Will make trade more simple then.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  I think this gets done and it gets done before the draft.  If the teams could not agree to a deal early, then it is going to take a deadline to get it done.  The draft is the first real deadline.  I would assume Packers want some assets in 2023 to help Love's development.  The cap hit whether it is pre-june 1 or post-June 1 is a shell game.  It is the same hit either all absorbed in one year or spread over two.  Restructure some contracts, sign some FAs with more money in years two and three and they can absorb the hit now and get 2023 draft assets.

Maybe something happens this week during the League meetings, but I expect this will get done by the draft.

I couldn't imagine the two sides not sitting down face to face and hammering this out at the meetings.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Packers do not seem too interested in 23 picks if not 13, or too worried about being stuck with rodgers. If they won’t take what is being offered pre draft, be a lot less to argue about after it. Will make trade more simple then.

This makes sense on the surface but again we have no idea what the packers want and we have no idea what the Jets are offering.

3 minutes ago, ptisme said:

There's nothing out there really in FA to buy for a team doing a soft rebuild.   If Rodgers is traded today they can still sign all their draft picks.  They've already extended all their important young players so not much left to do this year.   Jets window is now, the Packers window is in a year or two(if Love pans out).   For the Packers they value picks over players right now.   For the Jets with an open window they value veterans over picks ATM.

I agree with most of what you say, but I think the Jets value picks quite a lot.  Just look how the top 2 draft picks did last year, both becoming the defensive and offensive rookies of the year in the NFL.  If they can create that same magic as last year with the #13 pick, and not having to pay a veteran top money, then the Jets would welcome that.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

The Jets want to keep their #13 pick this year.  Done.  The Packers want a 1st round pick.  Done.

This is the deal I would broker, if I were the mediator.

First off, the Jets keep all of their picks this year.  The agreement would be binding between the 2 sides, and officially it happens on June 2nd, which benefits the Packers with their cap.

The Jets give a conditional 2nd round pick in 2024, with it becoming a 1st round pick if the Jets make the playoffs, and as long as Rodgers plays at least 50% of the snaps.

What does this accomplish?  First off, the Jets can build their team around Rodgers this year, thus giving the Jets a better shot of making the playoffs.  Second, if the Jets do make the playoffs, then the 1st round pick would be no better than #17 in the draft, and perhaps lower based upon how well the Jets do.  The Packers would have a very reasonable shot at getting the 1st round pick that they want, unless everything blows up on the Jets, and I believe this is fair for the Packers, in that the worst they would do is a 2nd round pick next year, and it would be a high one, since the Jets would have not made the playoffs.

I would give the Packers a conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 as well.  If the Jets don't make the playoffs this year, then the 2nd round pick in 2025 remains a 2nd round pick.  So, the worst Green Bay can do is a 2nd round pick in 2024, and a 2nd round pick in 2025.  Not too shabby for a team that traded away a 40 year old QB, and that QB not getting the receiving team into the playoffs.

If the Jets do make the playoffs, the as we already know, the 2024 pick is the 1st round pick for the Packers, but then that conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 becomes a 3rd round pick.  So, the best Green Bay can do is a 1st round pick in 2024, and a 3rd round pick in 2025.  The worst is 2 2nd round picks.

Now, I'm sure that most of my fellow Jets fans want to rub dirt in the Packers faces, and not give them this deal, but as the mediator, I feel that this is fair, and I would lobby hard for this deal, which is a fair one.

That is a hefty load ... and you are not entering $$$ into the equation. Any 2025 picks would be conditional on Rodgers even playing in 2024. I maintain that the Jets have all the leverage here.  It is the Packers decision ... eat the ridiculous contract with a guy that doesn't want to be on the team creating a circus.   Or ... take what the Jets offer as a fair deal ... a second next year that can become a first, plus a player. I agree that a deal needs to be done in June to save the Pack some cap $.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Alka said:

Perhaps you are a better negotiator than I am?  In my company, I am considered a very good negotiator by the leaders of my company.  

One of the first things I learned in the art of negotiating, is to look for a "win-win" scenario.  Yes, there are many people out there who would be happy to beat down the other side when they have the leverage to do so.  I am not one of those people.  Sure, I believe in using leverage if I have it, but I never look to "shove it up their butts" either.  

Maybe that's why my deal is fair, and why I think many companies out there would like to have me as a mediator.

I don't think that the Jets are caving with my deal.  You do.  I think we will leave it at that.  I will let you have the last word if you would like.

Competition bring in leverage. Right now there is no other team we are in competition with. If a team was to poke around ( highly unlikely ) I doubt would come close to what we will pay. Just like what ravens are doing with Jackson , challenge packers to find other offers, and we can then match. Like Jackson, not many teams are even entertaining idea. And he is lot younger.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I no longer have any faith in the Jets developing a QB from the draft. If it were me with the GM meetings starting today, I’d put some serious pressure on GB by looking into Lamar Jackson. I would even make an offer. That oughta move things along.

So you wouldn't give up #13 for a guy who's going to rework his contract to get more talent here, but you would give up #13 plus next years first to get a guy who's contract demands will hamstring getting new talent and retaining current players?

I agree with most of what you say, but I think the Jets value picks quite a lot.  Just look how the top 2 draft picks did last year, both becoming the defensive and offensive rookies of the year in the NFL.  If they can create that same magic as last year with the #13 pick, and not having to pay a veteran top money, then the Jets would welcome that.

Agreed.    Saying they value veterans certainly doesn't mean they don't value draft capitol.

5 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Competition bring in leverage. Right now there is no other team we are in competition with. If a team was to poke around ( highly unlikely ) I doubt would come close to what we will pay. Just like what ravens are doing with Jackson , challenge packers to find other offers, and we can then match. Like Jackson, not many teams are even entertaining idea. And he is lot younger.

If it came down to the Packers having to call other teams why would they give you the chance to match?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Yeah, let's just walk away, continue to suck, and have no real QB leading the team this year.  I think I will pass.

So basically you just want to give into their  demands knowing they have pretty much no leverage?  I mean Rodgers has publicly said he wants to be a Jet so no other team is coming.  The only way I would give up a first rounder if it’s conditional on us winning or at least making the Super Bowl and even then I’m not sure but that’s a last resort.  

I know the Jets have all the leverage and in that sense would be overpaying. But I'm fine with this if you just want to get the deal done. Maybe not get involved with any 2025 picks to keep things simple. 

After all, the worst thing that can happen is this thing dragging out too long and another team suddenly finding itself in the running for Rodgers. A team, maybe, willing to give up more.