Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

21 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think what fascinates me, is that Jets fans and Packers fans are at opposite ends of the spectrum as to what constitutes a fair deal, and exactly who has the most leverage.  It's just so interesting to me.  I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

I think what is "fair" is irrelevant. It's what can you get.  The Jets can wait until GB has to move him.  

The only question for the Jets is how long are they willing to wait to not have Rodgers in house?  If it's until August - the Jets offer a 4 and wait until GB has not choice but to take it.  

If they want him officially in house sooner they may have to give up more.  

By GB holding out that long though - they give up draft capital this year.

Now maybe, GB would rather spite the Jets than care about a 4th this year vs. next year.  But I think they take what the Jets have on the table just before the draft.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

At some point you have to gamble a little.  The gamble being that there are NO OTHER TEAMS willing to buy possibly one year at this price. I truly believe that if the Pack front office lets this deal evaporate ... their entire front office is fired next year.

We go 6-11, but yay… the Packers need a new front office! (and so do we probably)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

The Jets want to keep their #13 pick this year.  Done.  The Packers want a 1st round pick.  Done.

This is the deal I would broker, if I were the mediator.

First off, the Jets keep all of their picks this year.  The agreement would be binding between the 2 sides, and officially it happens on June 2nd, which benefits the Packers with their cap.

The Jets give a conditional 2nd round pick in 2024, with it becoming a 1st round pick if the Jets make the playoffs, and as long as Rodgers plays at least 50% of the snaps.

What does this accomplish?  First off, the Jets can build their team around Rodgers this year, thus giving the Jets a better shot of making the playoffs.  Second, if the Jets do make the playoffs, then the 1st round pick would be no better than #17 in the draft, and perhaps lower based upon how well the Jets do.  The Packers would have a very reasonable shot at getting the 1st round pick that they want, unless everything blows up on the Jets, and I believe this is fair for the Packers, in that the worst they would do is a 2nd round pick next year, and it would be a high one, since the Jets would have not made the playoffs.

I would give the Packers a conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 as well.  If the Jets don't make the playoffs this year, then the 2nd round pick in 2025 remains a 2nd round pick.  So, the worst Green Bay can do is a 2nd round pick in 2024, and a 2nd round pick in 2025.  Not too shabby for a team that traded away a 40 year old QB, and that QB not getting the receiving team into the playoffs.

If the Jets do make the playoffs, the as we already know, the 2024 pick is the 1st round pick for the Packers, but then that conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 becomes a 3rd round pick.  So, the best Green Bay can do is a 1st round pick in 2024, and a 3rd round pick in 2025.  The worst is 2 2nd round picks.

Now, I'm sure that most of my fellow Jets fans want to rub dirt in the Packers faces, and not give them this deal, but as the mediator, I feel that this is fair, and I would lobby hard for this deal, which is a fair one.

Doo Doo. I aint giving them no 1st round pick or 2nd turning into a 1st. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Eh, trade back for a late 2023 1st and an additional 2024 1st with a team likely to have an early pick next year. Bet on ourselves and send the Pack our original 2024 1st … #32 overall.

Kenny Powers Finger Guns GIF by MOODMAN

Great. Rodgers will last 2 games behind that stellar OL. 

• Haha 1

This deal is already over. All that’s going on is haggling over the details. Eventually they’ll come back to the middle and close the deal. Just sit tight and wait for it to be announced. There’s probably a less than 1% chance this deal doesn’t get done

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

We go 6-11, but yay… the Packers need a new front office! (and so do we probably)

Never ever enter negotiations from a defensive position.  Also .. never let pressure dictate your negotiation strategy.

Business 101. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

We lost 7 out of our last 8 games.  We had players asking to be traded when we were winning.   Our HC lost the team.    The QB threw the D under the bus after a tough loss.   We hired an OC who shat himself in Denver with Russell Wilson.   Our young OC left to get the same job with arguably one of the top 3 HC in the league.

This would be way down the list on the Jets looking like fools.  The Jets used a 2 on Zach Wilson. 

How dare you bring your negative facts into this? 

It's the offseason aka happy happy joy joy time 

Dissidents won't be tolerated 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

How dare you bring your negative facts into this? 

It's the offseason aka happy happy joy joy time 

Dissidents won't be tolerated 

Facts and prognosticating doom should never be confused as being the same thing . Even though in this case they likely are. 

• Haha 1

Your beloved teen daughter Snookie currently drives a two year old Hyundai that just sucks as a car so you promise to buy her a new car.
You look at a nice solid SUV a nice cool little new Austin mini and a vintage restored Dodge charger.  She likes all of them but can't make up her mind.
The SUV and Austin mini get sold while you are deciding.
So you go back to the dealership that has the Charger and the dealership looks to be overstocked they have to sell product for sure.
There is no price on the Charger and you haven't asked what the price is.
Snookie decides she just loves the Charger and wants the Charger!  So you declare that you are going to buy the Charger for Snookie in front of the salesman.  Snookie runs off to tell all her friends at high school that daddy is buying her this cool Charger.
So you figure the Charger outta cost about 20 grand, the lot is over stocked and the guy has to sell.  The salesman tells you the price is $45 grand.  You almost swallow your cigar, 45 grand?  No way you are getting 45 grand!  My offer is 20 grand!
And so here you are, you have promised Snookie the Charger, she has told all her friends she is getting the Charger.  You are stuck at an impasse.
Meanwhile your wife comes up and says, bah if that dealership won't move we can spend $200 grand and get her a Lamborghini or she can go back and drive her Hyundai!
Except the Jets never declared anything other than an upgrade. The dealership may be talking sh*t but noone on the Jets promised anything specific.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Some of you are just absurd in thinking how little you can give away. It’s Aaron freaking Rodgers, he’s pretty good. Hear age brought up a lot, TB played till 45. Arod has a lot of Gas in the tank. The jets need to pony up a future 1st whether it’s conditional or not. The hold up is this years 13th which I do not think they should give up. However some of you need to come to reality about future picks or we can all watch Carson wentz lead us to 7-10. 

100%

i think people here think this in 2008 again and cause what we gave up for Favre thats what we should do for Rodgers. but its differant.

everybody knew Favre wanted to go to Minnesota. we knew this was a one year deal. Rodgers has 2 years and with TB 12 playing till 45 there is a chance Rodgers stays for more than 2 years.

my Theory is 1st off he doesnt like Favre. he would love to beat him again. Favre played till 41. if Rodgers retires in 2 years he would be 41. 

2nd and most importantly is that he has a young superstar at WR. if Hall comes back to being as good as he was we could have a great offense thats fun to play with. another superstar in Sause this team could be special. he might want to stick around an extra 2 years until there contracts are up. 

plus Saleh is a players coach and after that disaster in Denver his buddy Hacket shouldn't be leaving anytime soon.

if im GB i think there is a good chance we have Rodgers for 4 years. there is no way if im GB i accept anything less than the 13th pick cause next year that pick will be much worst. or i would take the two 2nd rd picks we have this year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Thank you for the reality check!  My deal is a fair one, and giving up 2 2nd round picks is a fair one, if the Jets continue to suck, or a 1st and 3rd round pick, if Rodgers can at the very least get the Jets to the playoffs.  Remember, the only reason the Jets didn't make the playoffs last year was due to poor QB play.  (and injuries), but mostly poor QB play.

I think your proposal is too rich.   Id give GB a second rder in 2024 that can escalate to a first rder if the Jets make the 2023 Super Bowl.   I really dont think Rodgers is the difference maker you think he is and Id point to his playoff record and number of SB appearances.   I m not giving up a 1 st rd pick for a one and done playoff appearance.   As others have said, we can do that with plenty of mediocre QBs.

13 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Goes both ways doesn’t it?

Not in this case ... If the Packers truly believe they have the leverage ... they are delusional. Unless they produce an authenticated offer from another team ... they have zero ... again that is "ZERO" leverage.   There is too much riding on them Jettisoning Rodgers whom they have alienated. Do you truly believe they will risk him showing up to their facility risking injury in their weight room as these 'negotiations' progress ??  They would be on the hook for the whole enchilada if he tweaked a bicep and nursed it along through the season. 

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I think that from the Packers perspective ... they need to wager on when JD will 'call it' .   The Jets SHOULD be ready to walk away from this deal. If they are not .. then they were never ready to negotiate. No other team is picking up that contract.

Yeah, I just don't know the tipping point for either team.

My silly offer to GB:  3rd rounder this year and a 3rd rounder next year that can escalate.  If the Jets make the playoffs this year, that 2024 pick becomes a 2nd rounder.  In the unlikely event that the Jets make the Super Bowl, it becomes a first.

At worst, GB gets a 3rd round pick in each of the next two drafts.  At most, a 3rd this year and a 1st next year.

I'd happily give GB a 2024 first rounder if the Jets make the SB this season, and GB is covered from the possible humiliation of seeing Rodgers lead the Jets to the SB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Your beloved teen daughter Snookie currently drives a two year old Hyundai that just sucks as a car so you promise to buy her a new car.

You look at a nice solid SUV a nice cool little new Austin mini and a vintage restored Dodge charger.  She likes all of them but can't make up her mind.

The SUV and Austin mini get sold while you are deciding.

So you go back to the dealership that has the Charger and the dealership looks to be overstocked they have to sell product for sure.

There is no price on the Charger and you haven't asked what the price is.

Snookie decides she just loves the Charger and wants the Charger!  So you declare that you are going to buy the Charger for Snookie in front of the salesman.  Snookie runs off to tell all her friends at high school that daddy is buying her this cool Charger.

So you figure the Charger outta cost about 20 grand, the lot is over stocked and the guy has to sell.  The salesman tells you the price is $45 grand.  You almost swallow your cigar, 45 grand?  No way you are getting 45 grand!  My offer is 20 grand!

And so here you are, you have promised Snookie the Charger, she has told all her friends she is getting the Charger.  You are stuck at an impasse.

Meanwhile your wife comes up and says, bah if that dealership won't move we can spend $200 grand and get her a Lamborghini or she can go back and drive her Hyundai!

Who exactly is Snookie supposed to be in this analogy?

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, that's all true.

But it doesn't change the fact that the Packers have to move Rodgers - and the Jets are the only game in town.

Trading him to another team isn't a realistic option.   Staying in GB isn't a realistic option.  

Look, I'm sure the Jets want this done sooner than later - but they can sit on the offer they made and wait until GB takes it.   Because they eventually have to.

Agreed from a packers perspective...  Jets kind of also need this just as bad.   And I doubt the owner will throw away the season just to say he didn't lose a trade.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ahh I see lol. Well it’s different in nfl. Nothing really is a “ match “ ha.I guess a team worse than us last yr could offer a 2nd, would be better than our 2nd. Pats 2nd wouldn’t be. But those teams appear to have qb or going to draft 1. Want to use picks to surround their qb with OL, skill players. Highly rare for teams to go both. Why Green Bay realizes it’s time, they are done with rodgers. Or they would might as well trade love for picks and have another go with rodgers. They have made their preference very clear.

1. I could see a team that is drafting a rookie and wants him to sit a year or two and not throw him to the wolves right away.   Maybe the Pats?    Rodgers also has to agree to play there but he doesn't hold all the leverage.   If he wants to play as bad as he says he does maybe he'd play with his idol BB?

2. The Packers ARE done with Rodgers..   I believe that management loathes him at this point and likely that goes both ways.   Zero chance they stick with him and trade away Love.   The deal has to get done.

16 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Except the Jets never declared anything other than an upgrade. The dealership may be talking sh*t but noone on the Jets promised anything specific.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

And the jets never asked the price before  they were going to buy and the jets let the other vehcies get soled while they dicked around.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

yup .. that is the mystery.  Hey ... it gives us something to do during this boring time of the year.

Lets just hope an agreement is made that neither team is happy with and we can all move on.   I look forward to watching Rodgers as a Jet.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, ptisme said:

1. I could see a team that is drafting a rookie and wants him to sit a year or two and not throw him to the wolves right away.   Maybe the Pats?    Rodgers also has to agree to play there but he doesn't hold all the leverage.   If he wants to play as bad as he says he does maybe he'd play with his idol BB?

2. The Packers ARE done with Rodgers..   I believe that management loathes him at this point and likely that goes both ways.   Zero chance they stick with him and trade away Love.   The deal has to get done.

wait till Aaron starts working out in their weight room in a couple weeks.... that's when the pressure rises.

Edited by Dunnie

17 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

My silly offer to GB:  3rd rounder this year and a 3rd rounder next year that can escalate.  If the Jets make the playoffs this year, that 2024 pick becomes a 2nd rounder.  In the unlikely event that the Jets make the Super Bowl, it becomes a first.

At worst, GB gets a 3rd round pick in each of the next two drafts.  At most, a 3rd this year and a 1st next year.

I'd happily give GB a 2024 first rounder if the Jets make the SB this season, and GB is covered from the possible humiliation of seeing Rodgers lead the Jets to the SB.

So the problem for the Jets is they don't know how long Rodgers will play.  If they knew they'd get pre 2022 Rodgers they'd be happy to pay whatever.   The Packers don't want to just give away that kind of talent for nothing.  Here would be my scenario where both sides are protected: 

1. Jets give a second to GB this year for Rodgers.

2. Next year no draft capitol gets exchanged.

3. 2025: If Rodgers is one and done this year the deal has been  consummated as Rodgers for a second (something neither fan base would be thrilled with.   If Rodgers doesn't retire in 2024 the Packers get a 2025 third.   If Rodgers plays at least 100 snaps (protecting the Jets from training camp injury) and the Jets make the playoffs in 2024 the Packers get a 2025 second.   If the Jets make the playoffs in 2024 and Rodgers puts up some statistical number (say: 3700 yards and 30 touchdowns on average the next two years) the Packers get a 2025 first.   Jets are protected because they got the best player they could hope for and GB doesn't feel it got screwed either. win win...   PS, If you could bet on every draft pick and just say: "fail" on every pick you'd look like a genius.   Two years of pro bowl caliber play for the gets certainly would be worth a 2023 second and a 2025 first at the end of round one.   This trade completely derisks the Jets.

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Some of you are just absurd in thinking how little you can give away. It’s Aaron freaking Rodgers, he’s pretty good. Hear age brought up a lot, TB played till 45. Arod has a lot of Gas in the tank. The jets need to pony up a future 1st whether it’s conditional or not. The hold up is this years 13th which I do not think they should give up. However some of you need to come to reality about future picks or we can all watch Carson wentz lead us to 7-10. 

He was Arron freaking Rogers but is on decline isn't same Arron Rogers he was 10 years ago. Also Tom Brady wanted to play you could see his heart in continuing. Only thing Arron Rogers shows is he has no real enthusiasm that he really wants to do this except to spite GB. He comes to NY and pulls a Farve that's it the Jets gave up a first round pick in 2024 for nothing think a 2023 2nd or 3rd and a conditional 2024 3rd rounder that becomes a first if they  win a SB and Rogers returns for another season. If Rogers retiresand the Jets miss the playoffs GreenBay gets nothing if He wins a SB and retires Greenbay gers a 2nd if he stays another season and wins a SB they get a first. Other they that I'll role with Wentz and draft Hooker sorry no 40 year old that is going to play 1 year a hit this team with 60 million in dead money is worth a first.