Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

13 minutes ago, ptisme said:

If it came down to the Packers having to call other teams why would they give you the chance to match?

At some point you have to gamble a little.  The gamble being that there are NO OTHER TEAMS willing to buy possibly one year at this price. I truly believe that if the Pack front office lets this deal evaporate ... their entire front office is fired next year.

Edited by Dunnie

The Packers ultimately will settle.  They have to.  Really have no choice.

It's not really complicated.  At this point I wouldn't be surprised if JD has only the the 4th rounder on the table (with some conditional - based on if he's playing)

The longer this goes the more leverage Joe has.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No one knows what is holding it up we are hearing everything.  Yes the deal will get done and before the draft that I agree with but it is not like the jets are rubbing their hands with glee because we are going to get a great deal as time goes on.

It could very likely get done June 2

15 minutes ago, ptisme said:

If it came down to the Packers having to call other teams why would they give you the chance to match?

Lol. Well in reality here :) you of course would go back to the only other interested party with a quick chance to do better. Scott boras has done this for yrs and why is a billionaire. But also in reality rodgers would essentially have to agree to want to play for that team. He has only said he would play for jets. Would take some balls on a team to give much of a value comp when they don’t know for sure rodgers may decide to retire if forced on team, after they trade for him. Rodgers essentially has lot more leverage than packs and jets combined 

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

No way man. I’m not giving up 13. What happens if Rodgers plays only one year? The Jets will look like fools.

We lost 7 out of our last 8 games.  We had players asking to be traded when we were winning.   Our HC lost the team.    The QB threw the D under the bus after a tough loss.   We hired an OC who shat himself in Denver with Russell Wilson.   Our young OC left to get the same job with arguably one of the top 3 HC in the league.

This would be way down the list on the Jets looking like fools.  The Jets used a 2 on Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

At some point you have to gamble a little.  The gamble being that there are NO OTHER TEAMS willing to buy possibly one year at this price. I truly believe that if the Pack front office lets this deal evaporate ... their entire front office is fired next year.

Put urself in the Packers shoes.    The only leverage they have right now is time.   We all know they have to move Rodgers by game 1.   Could your leverage to get more from the jets be that you’ll give him away for less to a different team in two months?   That’s what I would do.   

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Packers ultimately will settle.  They have to.  Really have no choice.

It's not really complicated.  At this point I wouldn't be surprised if JD has only the the 4th rounder on the table (with some conditional - based on if he's playing)

The longer this goes the more leverage Joe has.

Again if they are settling why wouldn’t they settle with a different team.   That’s the packers leverage.   No other teams are involved because the rumor is the packers want a one.   

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. Well in reality here :) you of course would go back to the only other interested party with a quick chance to do better. Scott boras has done this for yrs and why is a billionaire. But also in reality rodgers would essentially have to agree to want to play for that team. He has only said he would play for jets. Would take some balls on a team to give much of a value comp when they don’t know for sure rodgers may decide to retire if forced on team, after they trade for him. Rodgers essentially has lot more leverage than packs and jets combined 

But “do better” wasn’t what I was responding to.   I was responding to “match”.   “Lol”

6 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Put urself in the Packers shoes.    The only leverage they have right now is time.   We all know they have to move Rodgers by game 1.   Could your leverage to get more from the jets be that you’ll give him away for less to a different team in two months?   That’s what I would do.   

Two things here:

1) No team - is going to trade for Rodgers if Rodgers doesn't want to play there.  At this point Rodgers is committed to playing for the Jets and seems to the PO'd at the Packers.  He's not going to be doing them any favors.

2) Even if 1 wasn't a reality - Giving Rodgers away for less is just being spiteful - and does nothing but hurt their team and franchise.    The Green Bay Packers will ultimately do what's best for the Green Bay Packers - and won't make decisions just to spite the Jets.

This will all resolve itself before the draft.  GB giving up whatever draft capital they're going to get for this year's draft is the first time they'll actually be harming their franchise.  So it will get done before then.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Again if they are settling why wouldn’t they settle with a different team.   That’s the packers leverage.   No other teams are involved because the rumor is the packers want a one.   

Again, no team is trading for a Rodgers that doesn't want to be there.  

No team is giving up draft assets and paying $60mm to an already mercurial HOF'er that doesn't want to play for that team.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Alka said:

Perhaps you are a better negotiator than I am?  In my company, I am considered a very good negotiator by the leaders of my company.  

One of the first things I learned in the art of negotiating, is to look for a "win-win" scenario.  Yes, there are many people out there who would be happy to beat down the other side when they have the leverage to do so.  I am not one of those people.  Sure, I believe in using leverage if I have it, but I never look to "shove it up their butts" either.  

Maybe that's why my deal is fair, and why I think many companies out there would like to have me as a mediator.

I don't think that the Jets are caving with my deal.  You do.  I think we will leave it at that.  I will let you have the last word if you would like.

I'm not going to insult you in your occupation, and will rather trust you're good at what you do. That said, I think you're more likely drawing upon negotiations where the other company/party is trapped, and you are the only way out of their untenable situation.

Look at it more like a disgruntled employee than a B2B negotiation. You want to be done with him, because it poisons your company to keep him, but you'd like to get out as painlessly as possible. The employee's stance is pay me far more severance than you want to spend. In that situation you ultimately pay it because, in the end, you can both afford it & you'd feel the company will lose more even if they save some $ on a one-time payout. In the end, the two sides need a divorce, and the employee has to be bought off to make it happen. Specifics of any one situation aside, a typical employment lawyer is going to tell you to swallow your pride: be done with him & move on, because the company can - and very well may - lose a multiple of that payout in various ways, as well as maybe lose multiple other valued employees who'll quit if he's not gone. 

I see this as being more along those lines than vendor-client or owner-tenant negotiations over contract terms. Unlike in those situations, the Packers don't merely want this to happen like the Jets; they need this deal, as they are decidedly not all-in on the 2023 season & have internal personality conflicts as well as future considerations regarding J.Love (whom they'll ultimately lose) on top of that. They need to trade Rodgers far more than the Jets need to get him, as it'll have extended repercussions for them that last beyond this season. If it ever go that far - which it won't - Jets clearly won't be so happy with a different QB instead of Rodgers, but life will go on & they can look again next offseason with plenty more flexibility in both cap space as well as retaining all their draft picks. Conversely, the Packers are better off taking a future 7th round pick than walking away from that offer.

Further considerations may be that keeping vs. surrendering next year's 1st round pick may also influence whether or not Rodgers sticks around for 2024 if the Jets' top pick is outside the top 50 slots. 

To me, anyway, your proposal is just too much unless it gets them substantially further than merely the WC round. Particularly if they lose while Rodgers isn't even on the field (say he goes on IR around Thanksgiving, which would satisfy the 50% snaps clause to boot), and then retires for good rather than playing in 2024.

I just think you've outlined too many paths to failure for the Jets' 2023 season that still surrenders a 1st round pick in 2024, and the Jets aren't nearly in the position where they have to make that happen.

I don't do last words. I do last paragraphs. What are you, new here?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Two things here:

1) No team - is going to trade for Rodgers if Rodgers doesn't want to play there.  At this point Rodgers is committed to playing for the Jets and seems to the PO'd at the Packers.  He's not going to be doing them any favors.

2) Even if 1 wasn't a reality - Giving Rodgers away for less is just being spiteful - and does nothing but hurt their team and franchise.    The Green Bay Packers will ultimately do what's best for the Green Bay Packers - and won't make decisions just to spite the Jets.

This will all resolve itself before the draft.  GB giving up whatever draft capital they're going to get for this year's draft is the first time they'll actually be harming their franchise.  So it will get done before then.

I was just pointing out how they could use leverage of their own.   In the end both of these GM's are respected around the league and have an urgency to get this done.   Assuming neither wants the reputation of being a hard person to deal with also.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not going to insult you in your occupation, and will rather trust you're good at what you do. That said, I think you're more likely drawing upon negotiations where the other company/party is trapped, and you are the only way out of their untenable situation.

Look at it more like a disgruntled employee than a B2B negotiation. You want to be done with him, because it poisons your company to keep him, but you'd like to get out as painlessly as possible. The employee's stance is pay me far more severance than you want to spend. In that situation you ultimately pay it because, in the end, you can both afford it & you'd feel the company will lose more even if they save some $ on a one-time payout. In the end, the two sides need a divorce, and the employee has to be bought off to make it happen. Specifics of any one situation aside, a typical employment lawyer is going to tell you to swallow your pride: be done with him & move on, because the company can - and very well may - lose a multiple of that payout in various ways, as well as maybe lose multiple other valued employees who'll quit if he's not gone. 

I see this as being more along those lines than vendor-client or owner-tenant negotiations over contract terms. Unlike in those situations, the Packers don't merely want this to happen like the Jets; they need this deal, as they are decidedly not all-in on the 2023 season & have internal personality conflicts as well as future considerations regarding J.Love (whom they'll ultimately lose) on top of that. They need to trade Rodgers far more than the Jets need to get him, as it'll have extended repercussions for them that last beyond this season. If it ever go that far - which it won't - Jets clearly won't be so happy with a different QB instead of Rodgers, but life will go on & they can look again next offseason with plenty more flexibility in both cap space as well as retaining all their draft picks. Conversely, the Packers are better off taking a future 7th round pick than walking away from that offer.

Further considerations may be that keeping vs. surrendering next year's 1st round pick may also influence whether or not Rodgers sticks around for 2024 if the Jets' top pick is outside the top 50 slots. 

To me, anyway, your proposal is just too much unless it gets them substantially further than merely the WC round. Particularly if they lose while Rodgers isn't even on the field (say he goes on IR around Thanksgiving, which would satisfy the 50% snaps clause to boot), and then retires for good rather than playing in 2024.

I just think you've outlined too many paths to failure for the Jets' 2023 season that still surrenders a 1st round pick in 2024, and the Jets aren't nearly in the position where they have to make that happen.

I view this as both sides equally need to get this done.

Any leverage the packers own, diminishes once the jets draft their first round pick this year. This trade is happening prior to or at the draft and is likely 2 2nd round picks this year. Or 1 this year and 1 next year. The Jets are smart by waiting this out and the packers think they can force the Jets to appease their fan base but from what I have seen, the fans get it. Wait it out and refusing the 1st is a win for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I think that from the Packers perspective ... they need to wager on when JD will 'call it' .   The Jets SHOULD be ready to walk away from this deal. If they are not .. then they were never ready to negotiate. No other team is picking up that contract.

Edited by Dunnie

1 minute ago, ptisme said:

I was just pointing out how they could use leverage of their own.   In the end both of these GM's are respected around the league and have an urgency to get this done.   Assuming neither wants the reputation of being a hard person to deal with also.

Yeah, that's all true.

But it doesn't change the fact that the Packers have to move Rodgers - and the Jets are the only game in town.

Trading him to another team isn't a realistic option.   Staying in GB isn't a realistic option.  

Look, I'm sure the Jets want this done sooner than later - but they can sit on the offer they made and wait until GB takes it.   Because they eventually have to.

3 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Any leverage the packers own, diminishes once the jets draft their first round pick this year. This trade is happening prior to or at the draft and is likely 2 2nd round picks this year. Or 1 this year and 1 next year. The Jets are smart by waiting this out and the packers think they can force the Jets to appease their fan base but from what I have seen, the fans get it. Wait it out and refusing the 1st is a win for the Jets. 

No way they're giving up 2 2nd round picks. 

At this point I would be shocked if it was even 1 2nd. -  A 4th rounder is more likely than 2 2nds.

The Jets 1st (13th) and two 2nd round picks (42,43) are untouchable. I propose the Packers get the Jets 4th round pick (112) this year since Joe's traded our 3rd round pick (74th) to the Browns. The sweetener should be if the Packers do this deal before the draft, throw in a 2nd round pick next year that can become a 1st round pick if Rodgers leads the Jets to the Super Bowl. Should the Packers keep digging their heels in and this gets to the point it's after the draft they should only get a 3rd round pick next year and nothing else. That's my final proposal. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

44 minutes ago, freestater said:

So you wouldn't give up #13 for a guy who's going to rework his contract to get more talent here, but you would give up #13 plus next years first to get a guy who's contract demands will hamstring getting new talent and retaining current players?

Yes I’d prefer Lamar even at the extreme cost draft and salary that would incur. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take Rodgers as well just not at the cost of pick 13.

45 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We lost 7 out of our last 8 games.  We had players asking to be traded when we were winning.   Our HC lost the team.    The QB threw the D under the bus after a tough loss.   We hired an OC who shat himself in Denver with Russell Wilson.   Our young OC left to get the same job with arguably one of the top 3 HC in the league.

This would be way down the list on the Jets looking like fools.  The Jets used a 2 on Zach Wilson. 

MLF took a demotion to work for the Rams. He'll be getting coffee for McVay who will be the play caller.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, ptisme said:

But “do better” wasn’t what I was responding to.   I was responding to “match”.   “Lol”

Ahh I see lol. Well it’s different in nfl. Nothing really is a “ match “ ha.I guess a team worse than us last yr could offer a 2nd, would be better than our 2nd. Pats 2nd wouldn’t be. But those teams appear to have qb or going to draft 1. Want to use picks to surround their qb with OL, skill players. Highly rare for teams to go both. Why Green Bay realizes it’s time, they are done with rodgers. Or they would might as well trade love for picks and have another go with rodgers. They have made their preference very clear.

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Am I new here?  Are you trying to insult me?  Lol.  I am here a lot, and try to only post when the spirit moves me.  

I just feel that we have both have made our view points fully known, and at this point, I am anxious to see how it all turns out.

I have great respect for Joe Douglas's skills as a negotiator, and believe that he will do his best job for the betterment of the organization.

My only fear is that I hope that Mr. Johnson stays the hell out of it, and let Joe do his job.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No way they're giving up 2 2nd round picks. 

At this point I would be shocked if it was even 1 2nd. -  A 4th rounder is more likely than 2 2nds.

I think what fascinates me, is that Jets fans and Packers fans are at opposite ends of the spectrum as to what constitutes a fair deal, and exactly who has the most leverage.  It's just so interesting to me.  I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think what fascinates me, is that Jets fans and Packers fans are at opposite ends of the spectrum as to what constitutes a fair deal, and exactly who has the most leverage.  It's just so interesting to me.  I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

The Packers fans are basing their entire position on the point that the Jets don't have a starting QB if we don't overpay for Rodgers.  They fail to realize that this is a normal Sunday for us.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Some of you are just absurd in thinking how little you can give away. It’s Aaron freaking Rodgers, he’s pretty good. Hear age brought up a lot, TB played till 45. Arod has a lot of Gas in the tank. The jets need to pony up a future 1st whether it’s conditional or not. The hold up is this years 13th which I do not think they should give up. However some of you need to come to reality about future picks or we can all watch Carson wentz lead us to 7-10. 

It's not absurd at all - you conveniently are leaving out 65 million owed this year. There is no circumstance where you can leave that out. That alone is worth several players to the Packers having that cap space. You don't give up a 1st round pick to a guy that may only play one year. You need a guarantee that he will play longer at the very least. Also, two second rounders - this year and next if he plays is more than they should get unless they pick up some of the money. They really have no leverage because there is only one buyer and they don't want their asset.

Your beloved teen daughter Snookie currently drives a two year old Hyundai that just sucks as a car so you promise to buy her a new car.

You look at a nice solid SUV a nice cool little new Austin mini and a vintage restored Dodge charger.  She likes all of them but can't make up her mind.

The SUV and Austin mini get sold while you are deciding.

So you go back to the dealership that has the Charger and the dealership looks to be overstocked they have to sell product for sure.

There is no price on the Charger and you haven't asked what the price is.

Snookie decides she just loves the Charger and wants the Charger!  So you declare that you are going to buy the Charger for Snookie in front of the salesman.  Snookie runs off to tell all her friends at high school that daddy is buying her this cool Charger.

So you figure the Charger outta cost about 20 grand, the lot is over stocked and the guy has to sell.  The salesman tells you the price is $45 grand.  You almost swallow your cigar, 45 grand?  No way you are getting 45 grand!  My offer is 20 grand!

And so here you are, you have promised Snookie the Charger, she has told all her friends she is getting the Charger.  You are stuck at an impasse.

Meanwhile your wife comes up and says, bah if that dealership won't move we can spend $200 grand and get her a Lamborghini or she can go back and drive her Hyundai!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

The Jets want to keep their #13 pick this year.  Done.  The Packers want a 1st round pick.  Done.

This is the deal I would broker, if I were the mediator.

First off, the Jets keep all of their picks this year.  The agreement would be binding between the 2 sides, and officially it happens on June 2nd, which benefits the Packers with their cap.

The Jets give a conditional 2nd round pick in 2024, with it becoming a 1st round pick if the Jets make the playoffs, and as long as Rodgers plays at least 50% of the snaps.

What does this accomplish?  First off, the Jets can build their team around Rodgers this year, thus giving the Jets a better shot of making the playoffs.  Second, if the Jets do make the playoffs, then the 1st round pick would be no better than #17 in the draft, and perhaps lower based upon how well the Jets do.  The Packers would have a very reasonable shot at getting the 1st round pick that they want, unless everything blows up on the Jets, and I believe this is fair for the Packers, in that the worst they would do is a 2nd round pick next year, and it would be a high one, since the Jets would have not made the playoffs.

I would give the Packers a conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 as well.  If the Jets don't make the playoffs this year, then the 2nd round pick in 2025 remains a 2nd round pick.  So, the worst Green Bay can do is a 2nd round pick in 2024, and a 2nd round pick in 2025.  Not too shabby for a team that traded away a 40 year old QB, and that QB not getting the receiving team into the playoffs.

If the Jets do make the playoffs, the as we already know, the 2024 pick is the 1st round pick for the Packers, but then that conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 becomes a 3rd round pick.  So, the best Green Bay can do is a 1st round pick in 2024, and a 3rd round pick in 2025.  The worst is 2 2nd round picks.

Now, I'm sure that most of my fellow Jets fans want to rub dirt in the Packers faces, and not give them this deal, but as the mediator, I feel that this is fair, and I would lobby hard for this deal, which is a fair one.

I could live with it if there was an additional condition that Rodgers play the second year.  If he only plays 1 year, they only get a 2024 pick in round 2.

• Upvote 1