Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

29 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Ronnie Lott, Neil O’Donnell, Brett Favre, and now Aaron Rodgers.

Anyone else im missing?

Art Monk 

Steve Atwater 

Leonard Marshall 

D Tackle Howard from the Giants (forgot his first name) 

Supposedly the more money the Jets pick up, the less draft compensation the Packers get.  This is a great test for Woody.  Some have criticized him as being cheap.  Here's his chance to spend a bunch of money to bring in a potential star QB while giving up not as much in draft compensation.  The only cost would be money (that I don't think would count against the cap).

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Supposedly the more money the Jets pick up, the less draft compensation the Packers get.  This is a great test for Woody.  Some have criticized him as being cheap.  Here's his chance to spend a bunch of money to bring in a potential star QB while giving up not as much in draft compensation.  The only cost would be money (that I don't think would count against the cap).

Could you please explain that?  My understanding is the bonus payment hits the cap prorated over several years

• Upvote 1

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Could you please explain that?  My understanding is the bonus payment hits the cap prorated over several years

Maybe I'm wrong.  I thought that money somehow didn't count against the cap if the Jets pay it.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Art Monk 

Steve Atwater 

Leonard Marshall 

D Tackle Howard from the Giants (forgot his first name) 

Good ones

now lets play the reverse game. Name big time over the hill big contract players the jets signed that WORKED OUT

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

Yeah can you explain because I thought it was the more money GB takes on it would count against their cap hence the reason they would want greater draft pick compensation.

The more money we would take on the less draft compensation since it would count against our cap.  

maybe I’m confused.  

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We're definitely losing the 23 first Rd pick 

6 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Yeah can you explain because I thought it was the more money GB takes on it would count against their cap hence the reason they would want greater draft pick compensation.

The more money we would take on the less draft compensation since it would count against our cap.  

maybe I’m confused.  

I'm wrong.  I thought I read that was the case but, according to the article below, it's not. 

https://overthecap.com/the-salary-cap-impact-of-trading-for-aaron-rodgers

7 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

maybe I’m confused.  

Is there this kind of flexibility? I understood that it was locked as to what was dead cap space for the Packers and what was the cap hit for the Jets. I did not think the CBA allowed for a team to absorb another team's cap space.

8 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Is there this kind of flexibility? I understood that it was locked as to what was dead cap space for the Packers and what was the cap hit for the Jets. I did not think the CBA allowed for a team to absorb another team's cap space.

Apparently I’m thinking of this in hockey terms and I was wrong.  Lol

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

maybe I’m confused.  

If GB is to pick up more money, it would mean the contract is restructured in a way where they reduce and convert a portion of the option bonus into a guaranteed roster bonus due on a date before the trade is finalized. 

Say the Packers were to agree to take on $10 million additional, they would reduce the option to $48.3 million, pay Aaron $10 million on 3/14, and then the Jets take on the remainder of the contract on 3/15. Rodger's cap hit for 2023 would be $13.24 million for 2023, $30 million for 2024, and then assuming he were to retire the Jets would be responsible for $23.4 million cap hits in 2025-26 (which the Jets figure they can easily digest being that they have very minimal dead cap on the books, and being that the cap is expected to raise exponentially with the new broadcasting agreements going into effect). 

I have no idea whether GB has agreed to do this or not. I do understand that GB and NYJ either have the bulk of the compensation agreed upon or are very close to it. Any rumors we hear prior to tomorrow are probably just made up... the only people who know what's going on right now are Rodgers, his agent David Dunn, Woody, Christopher, Douglas, Saleh, Hackett, and potentially Hymie. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I believe California is ALL the way cross country.

wait are you sure about that? but what about the time zone change? Doesn't that make it less?  

Geno-Smith-fans-words-Lions.jpg

In which time zone should I deposit my guaranteed money this week?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

If GB is to pick up more money, it would mean the contract is restructured in a way where they reduce and convert a portion of the option bonus into a guaranteed roster bonus due on a date before the trade is finalized. 

Say the Packers were to agree to take on $10 million additional, they would reduce the option to $48.3 million, pay Aaron $10 million on 3/14, and then the Jets take on the remainder of the contract on 3/15. Rodger's cap hit for 2023 would be $13.24 million for 2023, $30 million for 2024, and then assuming he were to retire the Jets would be responsible for $23.4 million cap hits in 2025-26 (which the Jets figure they can easily digest being that they have very minimal dead cap on the books, and being that the cap is expected to raise exponentially with the new broadcasting agreements going into effect). 

I have no idea whether GB has agreed to do this or not. I do understand that GB and NYJ either have the bulk of the compensation agreed upon or are very close to it. Any rumors we hear prior to tomorrow are probably just made up... the only people who know what's going on right now are Rodgers, his agent David Dunn, Woody, Christopher, Douglas, Saleh, Hackett, and potentially Hymie. 

Got it.  Thanks for the breakdown.  

• Upvote 1