Jets Negotiating With Lazard [Signed 4 years $44M]

SR24

#13 isn't available, it's retired for Don Maynard.
I'd guess Lazard may go with the #5 just vacated by Mike White - Lazard wore that number in college.
Duh..how did I forget.

I reckon #5 goes to Garret Wilson, Lazard may take 19 that he wore at Jacksonville.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think at 33 (in August) Cobb would be added to replace Berrios as a 4th WR and/or just a flat-out backup in case of injury. Moore would still be here, starting, unless someone blows us away with a trade offer. 

Wilson - Lazard - Moore - Cobb - Mims? - ????

Also it wouldn't surprise me for that pecking order to have Lazard & Moore swapped. Right now (and particularly by next year and/or the year after) $11MM is more like WR3 money (high WR3 money, but WR3 money nonetheless). His is like the 28th-ish highest $/year contract for WRs. When you factor in all the WR1/WR2 rookies' contracts across the league average less than $11MM, it puts this comfortably outside the top 32 WRs = veteran WR3 contract.

Lazard replaces Davis, OBJ would replace Moore, Cobb would replace Mims. 

• Upvote 1

With Lazard in the fold, if the Jets also bring in a dude like Beckham or Thielen, then I think it’s only logical to assume Moore gets traded to recoup a pick after the Rodgers deal.

What’s the point in having Moore’s mopey ass sulking behind Wilson, Lazard, Odell/Thielen and most likely Conklin? Hell, Breece will probably be higher in the pecking order in the passing game as well.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think at 33 (in August) Cobb would be added to replace Berrios as a 4th WR and/or just a flat-out backup in case of injury. Moore would still be here, starting, unless someone blows us away with a trade offer. 

Also it wouldn't surprise me for that pecking order to have Lazard & Moore swapped. Right now (and particularly by next year and/or the year after) $11MM is more like WR3 money (high WR3 money, but WR3 money nonetheless). His is like the 28th-ish highest $/year contract for WRs. When you factor in all the WR1/WR2 rookies' contracts across the league average less than $11MM, it puts this comfortably outside the top 32 WRs = veteran WR3 contract.

I mean, top 32 is 1 per team, so I'd say vet WR2 contract more than WR3, but yes to all of this. I think the Moore-Lazard pecking order is irrelevant. Hackett ran 11 personnel on most plays when he was the GB OC (60% of the time), so you're likely to see Moore and Lazard on the field together most of the time. Which one stays on the field when they're in 12 personnel (24% of the time in GB) is probably situational, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly Lazard at the beginning of the year and mostly Moore by the end of the year.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

With Lazard in the fold, if the Jets also bring in a dude like Beckham or Thielen, then I think it’s only logical to assume Moore gets traded to recoup a pick after the Rodgers deal.

What’s the point in having Moore’s mopey ass sulking behind Wilson, Lazard, Odell/Thielen and most likely Conklin? Hell, Breece will probably be higher in the pecking order in the passing game as well.

I think we got Lazard. Only guy that costs money besides OBJ.

Now go get Cobb and Lewis for cheap (both will be crazy cheap). 3/4 of the guys he mentioned is enough to get him here for sure. OBJ was likely just an option if we didn’t get Lazard. AR knows we can’t afford both Lazard, OBJ and himself. 

I don't have high expectations for Lazard. If he can play every game and be a good 2/3 as Wilson and Hall dominate teams, I am happy. It's 11 million dollars of Woody's money. What I don't want is to replace our young guys with a bunch of old dudes (Cobb, Lewis) because Rodgers said so. We have a good core and I want to see them develop because Rodgers will be here 1 year, 2 max and we'll be left with nothing.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

OBJ's last 600-yard season was before covid and he wants $20MM/year. He can EAD. 

Let Cobb hopefully rub off on Moore a bit, if he can.

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

I don't have high expectations for Lazard. If he can play every game and be a good 2/3 as Wilson and Hall dominate teams, I am happy. It's 11 million dollars of Woody's money. What I don't want is to replace our young guys with a bunch of old dudes (Cobb, Lewis) because Rodgers said so. We have a good core and I want to see them develop because Rodgers will be here 1 year, 2 max and we'll be left with nothing.

Signing OBJ would take the shine off of trading for A-A-Ron.  Lazard and Hackett are enough.  Let JD take it from there.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Signing OBJ would take the shine off of trading for A-A-Ron.  Lazard and Hackett are enough.  Let JD take it from there.

Agreed. I want to see what Moore can do with this QB because the dude was definitely open as were other WRs. I think we have enough fire power if Rodgers can get them the ball. What we really need to do is build a dominant offensive line and the rest will be fine. 

• Upvote 1

I can understand how Rogers would want a receiving core that he's familiar with, especially when going into a new environment. But at the same time, he's very familiar with our guys too. Remember, we've held TC practices in Green Bay the last 2 seasons. Aaron got to see our guys up close. Then, Zack and company rolled into GB and beat the Pack in their own yard. While Rogers was on the sidelines and our offense was on the field, he got to see up close and personal how good our young guns really are, including Breece Hall who caught passes and ran all over GB's defense unlike anything Aaron has ever played with. And the best WR on the field that day was Garrett Wilson, another young, talented Jet WR any QB would love to throw to.

And if a TE is QB's best friend, a good Defense has to be a close second. Not having to score 30+ points every Sunday just to have a chance is a gooood thing. Getting the rock right back after a turn over is also a great thing for any QB. Rogers would love to have a top defense like the Jets backing him up. Any QB would. After all, the Jets' D was knocking Rogers around all day, and when he did have time to throw, our young Defensive Rookie of the Year Sauce Gardner and the rest of our D as locking his WRs down.

Bottom line, Rogers would be coming into a fantastic situation. Young, fast, talented players all over the field. A dream team so to speak.

I think the youth and talent on the team will go a long way to convincing Rogers to sign up for at least 2 seasons. This, I think, is the current 'sticking point'. Joe Douglas is asking for a 2 season commitment (at least), and Rogers may be thinking more along the lines of 1 season, then he'll re-evaluate things. He won't give JD a 2 year commitment unless he really feels it, and that is taking Rogers a bit longer to get to in his mind. Without that commitment, I don't think JD goes in this direction.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Odell isn't coming here. Neither is Thielen, unless he's willing to take a massive paycut. It would be an absurd waste of resources to sign another WR in that tier, most particularly in how it would limit Garrett Wilson's ceiling. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Drums said:

Agreed. I want to see what Moore can do with this QB because the dude was definitely open as were other WRs. I think we have enough fire power if Rodgers can get them the ball. What we really need to do is build a dominant offensive line and the rest will be fine. 

Yeah just bring in some of the talent he worked with in Green Bay.  No need to pay some ridiculous amount for Beckham.  Supposedly based on what I heard from guys who religiously watched the 11 on 11’s, Jet receivers, for the most part, were WIDE OPEN much of the time  but of course with No QB to get them the ball.  Maybe Rodgers isn’t what he was in his very best years but the guy can still consistently put a football in a big thimble on almost any throw as opposed to the tiniest of thimbles when his talent was at its greatest heights.

Should feel VERY strange seeing the Jet D playing with 3 TD leads…..and this is why the Rodgers move is one that Douglas and Saleh HAVE to make….if they want their jobs in 2024.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

(edit: kindly ignore the crossed-out part above -- I temporarily forgot how to count to two)

I think the big value with Berrios was his return ability, and they would most likely still need to replace it.  I'm not sure Cobb is much of a returner anymore (had 4 last year) and GB (if I remember correctly was atrocious with Amari Rodgers).  So they would need to add someone that also returns punts, and I don't think any of the guys we have can do that.  I think Wilson did in college briefly, but he's too valuable.  So I'm assuming they will pick up a draft pick (love Tank Dell for this, but Jayden Reed works as well) that can be that developmental WR that returns punts, as WR6 maybe.  

I think, it'll be Wilson/Lazard/Moore/Mims/Punt Return WR

The interesting aspect would be if they sign another WR like Theilen/OBJ that offer no value in punt returns.  Someone like Mecole Hardman could be interesting, but I'm weary of signing a guy that couldn't really do much playing for the best QB with a great offensive system.  

2 hours ago, tdoublee said:

Is there any possibility that they keep Davis and pass on OBJ?

I just imagine there would be some pushback on bringing OBJ back to NY.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I think it comes down to Davis OR Moore. Maybe there’s someone who wants to overpay for Moore and it becomes an offer that Douglas takes

8 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think the big value with Berrios was his return ability, and they would most likely still need to replace it.  I'm not sure Cobb is much of a returner anymore (had 4 last year) and GB (if I remember correctly was atrocious with Amari Rodgers).  So they would need to add someone that also returns punts, and I don't think any of the guys we have can do that.  I think Wilson did in college briefly, but he's too valuable.  So I'm assuming they will pick up a draft pick (love Tank Dell for this, but Jayden Reed works as well) that can be that developmental WR that returns punts, as WR6 maybe.  

I think, it'll be Wilson/Lazard/Moore/Mims/Punt Return WR

The interesting aspect would be if they sign another WR like Theilen/OBJ that offer no value in punt returns.  Someone like Mecole Hardman could be interesting, but I'm weary of signing a guy that couldn't really do much playing for the best QB with a great offensive system.  

OBJ returning kicks and punts on a YOLO deal would be electric

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

OBJ returning kicks and punts on a YOLO deal would be electric

OBJ on a 2 year deal could be an absolute steal, still love his ability to separate.   However, he seems so fragile that I'm worried he'd get injured twerking at Jalen Ramsey after getting a first down.  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

OBJ on a 2 year deal could be an absolute steal, still love his ability to separate.   However, he seems so fragile that I'm worried he'd get injured twerking at Jalen Ramsey after getting a first down.  

Still, 2 years, 30 million, 20 gtd? I’d do that

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

#13 isn't available, it's retired for Don Maynard.

I'd guess Lazard may go with the #5 just vacated by Mike White - Lazard wore that number in college.

That's right cowboy. 13 is done. Noooo one aint getting my number. Give that Lizzard partner #2. Get it done JD.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Drums said:

Cobb would presumably be replacing Berrios, who is gone already because he was overpaid.  Lewis might not be replacing anyone.  Imagine him and Ruckert demolishing people in 2 TE sets for running plays, and mixing and matching them with Uzomah and Conklin for passing plays.

I am happy with the outcome on the deal and the intimation it gives on the Rodgers Saga.

11 per isnt bad especially with only 22 guaranteed ...higer than I'd like but a rounding error at the end of the contract.

An extra 2 mil per for helping land Rodgers lol

7 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

We're making a commitment to Aaron Rogers, and we're all in. Let's surround him with everything (within reason) he thinks he needs that can get the Jets to the SB. 

You cant halfway this crap. You got to go all in. 

All the great ones know this. Whether it's a coach or a QB, they know what it takes, even though there are no guarantees. There never is. But if you want it, you have to go all in. 

We have crossed the Rubicon, folks. The die is cast. 

This is our shot at glory. You may as well get on board with the program, because we can't go back. 

I totally agree with trying to go all in this year. I’m just kind of confused as to why Lazard is in the equation. With guys like Dhop and Mike Evans potentially available they just seem like a vast improvement over him. 

To me Lazard is a middle of the road WR 2. That money combined with some restructuring could have gotten a solid #1 type guy like the 2 mentioned or even OBJ. There are probably others as well that are better than he is available 

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I totally agree with trying to go all in this year. I’m just kind of confused as to why Lazard is in the equation. With guys like Dhop and Mike Evans potentially available they just seem like a vast improvement over him. 

To me Lazard is a middle of the road WR 2. That money combined with some restructuring could have gotten a solid #1 type guy like the 2 mentioned or even OBJ. There are probably others as well that are better than he is available 

Evans and Dhop are under contract , you would have to trade for them and give draft picks

also Wilson is your #1