Draft geeks: List your "plant my flag" guys

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Full disclosure:  I just can't get into college football that much.  So I depend on you losers who do to give me names I need to know each year during draft season.

That's what this thread is for:  List out ~ 5 guys you're "planting your flag" on.  I.E. guys you have the highest confidence in. 

They can be any position.  They can be high picks, mid-rounders, late rounders, or UDFA types.  They can be high ceiling, high floor guys, or both.  Doesn't matter.  What does matter is that you're picking the guys in whom you are most confident from a Return on Investment standpoint.  And maybe add a sentence or so why.  

Go!  

Michael Mayer notre dame. When I watched him play he was simply a man out there.

don’t necessarily have 4 others so I will just plant the flag with him.

and for those of you who celebrate either Passover or easter- happy both

• Upvote 4

O'Cyrus Torrence, G

Calijah Kancey, DT

Brian Branch, S

Dorian Williams, LB

Jordan Addison, WR

Torrence is perhaps the safest OL prospect in this draft class. Those who watched Max Mitchell last year  at Lafayette seen him line up next to him at RG. Kancey has the upside to be a top interior pass rusher. Branch is one of the most fascinating chess pieces defensively as a weak side LB, SS and nickle back. Williams is a beast of LB. Addison was the best WR two years ago. Draft eligibility held him back. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:
  1. Will Anderson
  2. Bryce Young 
  3. Brian Branch
  4. Emil Ekiyor
  5. Jahmyr Gibbs

17 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

O'Cyrus Torrence, G

Calijah Kancey, DT

Brian Branch, S

Dorian Williams, LB

Jordan Addison, WR

Branch is one of the most fascinating chess pieces defensively as a weak side LB, SS and nickle back. 

Interesting.

• Upvote 1

Will Anderson - I see Nick Bosa, TJ Watt 15-20 sacks per year.

Bijan Robinson - Like many difference maker RBs before him he will be tremendous, and then he'll get hurt.  So I plant my flag on early success but not long term.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba - Had an amazing year two years ago with Garrett Wilson and Olave on the same team.  Put up excellent combine numbers in shuttle drills.

Devon Witherspoon - Really good looking CB

John Michael Schmitz - Will be a good starting center.

This was a more difficult excersize than I thought it was going to be.   Not an especially good draft, some potentially really good players but not all that many  plant the flag types imo.

(See video for actual flag planting.)

• Upvote 3

On 4/9/2023 at 4:33 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Full disclosure:  I just can't get into college football that much.  So I depend on you losers who do to give me names I need to know each year during draft season.

That's what this thread is for:  List out ~ 5 guys you're "planting your flag" on.  I.E. guys you have the highest confidence in. 

They can be any position.  They can be high picks, mid-rounders, late rounders, or UDFA types.  They can be high ceiling, high floor guys, or both.  Doesn't matter.  What does matter is that you're picking the guys in whom you are most confident from a Return on Investment standpoint.  And maybe add a sentence or so why.  

Go!  

The only losers around here, dont watch college ball.  And the way you posed the question is stupid and you're getting consensus guys you could have googled.  Should have asked for some categories.  Then maybe this wouldnt be a mindless exercise where you encourage posters to copy and paste Todd McShay's top 50 prospects.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

The only losers around here, dont watch college ball.  And the way you posed the question is stupid and you're getting consensus guys you could have googled.  Should have asked for some categories.  Then maybe this wouldnt be a mindless exercise where you encourage posters to copy and paste Todd McShay's top 50 prospects.  

Well aren't you peachy today. 

That said my plant the flag guy is Will Anderson! BOOM

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, JiF said:

So who are your 5 loser

• Haha 2

This is such a hard question this year since so much of this draft is about value and need.  Certain guys I love on day 3 or 2  I wouldn't touch on day 2 or 1.

But to throw out a couple of names -- I would love to come away with Broderick Jones/Paris Johnson in R1.  Joe Tippman in R2.  Cincy WR Tyler Scott if available in R4, I think he can be a guy to replace Moore.  Dylan Horton, TCU Edge in R5 -- a converted Safety who I think has a lot of potential upside.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So who are your 5 loser

I mean, it's not sexy.  They are all the common names

1. Will Anderson - not much to say, one of the better edge prospects to come out in a while

2. Jalen Carter - despite the stuff that happened this offseson, the dude is a straight monster on the field.  I think he'll use this all as a wake up call and be the player everyone expects him to be.

3. Bijan Robinson - the best RB prospect in a while IMO.

4. Jordan Addison - reminds me of Garret Wilson

5. Tyree Wilson - might like him better then Carter honestly but I think both have some serious game wrecker attributes to them.

• Post of the Week 1

On 4/9/2023 at 6:34 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Young and Levis are the only qbs I would draft in round 1.  Johnston and Addison are future studs at wide receiver 

You see Levis as a safer prospect then CJ Stroud?  What do you like about him so much?

All I know is guys who get paid to do this for a living (e.g. Dane Brugler) don’t know jack.

It’s one of those rare niche industries where you don’t ever suffer or get called out for being dead wrong, even if the consequences to franchises who make decisions based on similar scouting takes can be catastrophic.

Basically, these dudes get paid for churning out these “guides” (trying to copy Kiper’s original method back in the day) just so draft geeks can gorge themselves on more content.

The alternate archetype is the Stephen A / Orlovsky / Chris Simms “hot take” dude who has maybe watched 1 cutup of whoever and then proceeds to tell the world this player is “the next” Mahomes or “the next” Jamarcus Russell.

I was trying to warn Joe Douglas 2 years ago — before the draft — that, despite the non-stop media fawning and generally accepted perception of a league-wide “consensus” on the player’s “arm talent” — Zach Wilson at #2 overall was an insane bust risk:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22378730/hype-and-slander-narratives-and-labels-the-media-driven-in-anity-of

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This is a difficult question given the lack of true blue chip prospects and so many "mid round" guys.

Personally guys I like better then where they are projected in the mocks Ive seen:

• JSN (WR)
  • Drew Sanders (LB)
  • Jack Campbell (LB)
  • Tyler Steen (OT)
  • Ricky Stromberg (center)
  • Christopher Smith (safety)

I really hope we trade back and JD can just take more swings at positions of need in this draft.  I like John Michael Schmitz a ton as a center but I dont see him as the same level of prospect as Tyler Linderbaum or even Creed Humphrey. At the same time people project him in the first round and Stromberg in the 4th and I think the chances of success for each of them is closer then that draft projection.