Hurts signs 5 year 255 mil

1 minute ago, Jets Things said:

And last year, when Hollywood wasn't there, how did Baltimore's WR's do?

They really really sucked. My point is, Hollywood is good and Lamar threw to him. At one point last year, Demarcus Robinson was the number 1 guy and Bateman got hurt early.

2 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

Didn't even come close to saying that, but no.

Huh? 

22 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

To his WR's or RB's and TE's? Because if I'm an NFL WR, the last QB I want to play with is Lamar Jackson. 

10 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You’d rather play with Zach?

49 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

The Eagles and their superstar quarterback agreed to terms Monday on a five-year, $255 million contract extension that makes him the highest-paid player in NFL history, per sources.

Hurts’ deal has $179.304 million in total guarantees, including $110 million fully guaranteed at signing and $126.5 million fully guaranteed by March 2024, as well as the first no-trade clause in Eagles history -- another sign of the franchise’s faith in Hurts, who is still only 24 years old.

The Eagles QB can earn an additional $15 million in incentives, giving him an opportunity to make as much as $274.304 million through 2028, including $4.304 million that he would’ve been due in the last year of his original rookie contract this season.

Hurts gets a raise in 2023, including a $23.294 million signing bonus, and will make $64 million through the first new year in 2024. The Eagles now have him under contract for the next six years, on a deal that preserves their flexibility to keep the team intact around him.

Lamar Jackson right now:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9525jzde47o7mdisvxxzk2

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Kid has the perfect temperament as a player. A coach's son, so we can be sure that is where that came from.  The strides he made in the passing game from last year to this year were huge. 

To hit a bit closer to home, isn’t it amazing what coaches who have actually developed QB’s can do for a young guy ?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Feels like everyone is equating what Hurts got to what Lamar should get.

So I'll pose this question rhetorically...if you could have either QB right now, money and picks not being a factor, which one would you want?  

I’d still take Lamar

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This. And it will only go higher.

lamar turned down a contract very similar to what hurts just received last year.  after turning this down, he again ended his season in the IR.

i see no way that lamar gets more than hurts, who is younger and better (at least based on the last 2 years and not jackson living in his 2019 glory days). 

while this is a lot of coin for hurts, lamar has lost his leverage for a watsonian fully guaranteed contract when the younger, better version of himself didn't get that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

lamar turned down a contract very similar to what hurts just received last year.  after turning this down, he again ended his season in the IR.

i see no way that lamar gets more than hurts, who is younger and better (at least based on the last 2 years and not jackson living in his 2019 glory days). 

while this is a lot of coin for hurts, lamar has lost his leverage for a watsonian fully guaranteed contract when the younger, better version of himself didn't get that.

Lamar won an MVP.   Plus Lamar is going to sign after Hurts did.  That's usually to one's advantage, no?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Lamar won an MVP.   Plus Lamar is going to sign after Hurts did.  That's usually to one's advantage, no?

I think most would argue that what Lamar did in 2019 is not nearly as relevant to his current value as what Hurts did last year to his.  Hurts was very much in the mix for MVP but Mahomes is Mahomes. 

Signing after only helps if you're as good or better.  That's an uphill battle for Lamar to prove right now.

I'd say Jalen just set the ceiling on Lamar's contract value, not the floor.

7 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

I’m going to respectfully agree to disagree with you here. All I’ve said here is I’ll wait to see how Lamar’s contract situation turns out before calling him a fool.

If it turns out Lamar signs for much less money than Hurts, I’ll tip my cap to you, but he’s going to end up with more, or in the ballpark imo.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So I'll pose this question rhetorically...if you could have either QB right now, money and picks not being a factor, which one would you want?  

I would take Hurts. Most of his stats have gotten better each year he’s been in the league; he’s up 67% completions this past year, He has also been more available to play than Lamar from an injury standpoint.

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I’d wait to see what Lamar gets before being so sure about that. The longer the Ravens wait, the smarter Lamar looks.

There's also something about having 170 million guaranteed in your pocket vs 32 for this year and hope to stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Still taking Lamar. Hurts has the better team. No way you can convince me that Philly would be worse if you swapped Hurts with Lamar 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, King P said:

Still taking Lamar. Hurts has the better team. No way you can convince me that Philly would be worse if you swapped Hurts with Lamar 

They would be if Lamar was on the bench injured.  Whether it's fair or not, that's going to factor into the negotiations.

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

There's also something about having 170 million guaranteed in your pocket vs 32 for this year and hope to stay healthy.

I think this is where Lamar really looks foolish.  You can't argue it's about money.  It's ego.  He seems like he wanted to get the biggest bag, even if just for a few days.  Now that's very unlikely to happen as I can't see BAL exceeding that Hurts deal.  Burrow should get a little more.  Herbert and Lamar a little less.  

Lamar could have had $133M guaranteed over three years based on reports.  He can probably get something like $225M over 5 years with $160M guaranteed now.  That's a pretty good bag.  But if he's holding out to beat Hurts' contract now, I think he's going to be waiting a long time.

• Upvote 4

They never really had a shot to do it in a reasonable area because of where the Eagles grabbed him, but man I wanted the Jets to take Hurts in 2020. Thought with the Ashtyn Davis pick. Did not think he'd be signing 5/$225M a few years later.

I think shows what a mix of character, talent, and a unique skill set can get you. Good for him.

Also think the Eagles just absolutely nailed his development process. Fit the scheme to him and got him talent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

Maybe I’m just an eagles hater, but I feel like he is incredibly overrated. He has a weak arm, relies on having a great ol and D. Players are starting to leave and his and browns contracts will start to cripple the team 

Yeah where do they get “superstar” already