Jets resign Mcgovern

Damn.  Was really hoping for one of these top prospects.  I guess it's still possible, but not really a priority anymore.  Bright side is it opens up more options in the 2nd.  
Or does it mean both 2s are going North ? Hope not ... That sound exorbitant.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Center before the 4th/5th just fell off the table.  If Wypler falls to the 5th (doubtful) I could maybe see him there now.

Disappointed honestly, McGovern isn't terribly good, and O-line is shaping up to be as bad, and as unreliable health-wise, as it was last year.

WR at #13 may be more of a possibility than I previously thought, seeing this.

More and more I think JD thinks the Oline is fine as-is, and it's not in need of material upgrade.  i.e. "The Jets have always believed this group is better than it showed last year".

Probably thinks they just need to stay healthy.  I think he's wrong, but it's his job on the line, not mine.

/shrug

Yeah I can see them moving off OL and maybe taking one at 42 if they don't love the players available or think they might need development......I guess it all depends what their board looks like.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Still have major holes at OT, LB, S, WR, DT. Can’t see them burning a 2nd on a backup C. Who knows tho.

I'm not sure the Jets agree with you about the Tackle or the DT position.  I know the speculation is that they'll go Tackle in round 1, I just don't see it. I would not be shocked if the trade a little back and took the safety Branch from Alabama. They want an immediate impact player and I'm not sure a Tackle at 13 does that with Brown, Becton and Mitchell there already competing for 2 spots. The wildcard is a WR if Davis gets traded. 

• Upvote 1

Wow!  Very surprising to me..

He went from my underrated to overrated bucket last year ..

I would imagine a pretty modest contract ... predicting 1 year $3-4M.  

Last year, Jets kept 5 interior OL + 4 OT.

They are already at 5 IOL this year:  AVT, McGovern, Tomlinson, Schweitzer (via Commanders), Colon (via Ravens)

If they don't feel comfortable any of the available offensive tackles at #13 are ready to make an impact year 1, could the Jets go with 6 IOL + 3 traditional tackles, moving AVT to starting tackle in the event of injuries.  The 5th (emergency) offensive tackle (Ogbuehi) would sit on the practice squad ...

This strategy would allow the Jets to draft a Center in the second round, possibly with guard versatility .

The Jets would be littered with players who have Center / Guard versatility.

Let's say there is another rash of injuries at OT, prompting AVT to move over to one of the starting tackle spots.

The interior could look like:

LG:  Tomlinson / Colon

Center:  Round 2 / McGovern

RG:  McGovern or Schweitzer

• Upvote 1

Just now, undertow said:

Yeah I can see them moving off OL and maybe taking one at 42 if they don't love the players available or think they might need development......I guess it all depends what their board looks like.

I think Sperm Edwards nailed it, with Rodgers inbound, JD simply isn't going to put Rodgers behind any rookie O-lineman.

And JD, like so many GM's, think's "his guys" are really secretly better and reliable than they've ever show themselves to be in actual gameplay....

IMO we're desperate for multiple upgrades on the O-line, and they're health is 100% our single biggest team risk going into a Rodgers-led 2023 now.

It looks like we won't get any new/drafted upgrades at all, and will thus risk seeing Rodgers run around like a chicken with no head just like Zach did so many times last year.

JD's gambling alot on this one.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Couldn’t agree more. Our line is above average talent wise. Put a decent QB under center and they can show everyone how good they actually are.

Becton is such a wild card… if healthy (and in game shape) he could take them to another level.

Because we haven't had a type of quarterback that could do some of these things I think some of us have forgotten how much a QB can help the offensive line. Whether it's recognizing, pressure recognizing coverages, recognizing when they need to change a play, slide protections for the offensive line. All those things go into helping the offensive line. I don't think we've had that in many years. So it would be nice to see what they look like with somebody behind center who can really help the offensive line

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

I'm not sure the Jets agree with you about the Tackle or the DT position.  I know the speculation is that they'll go Tackle in round 1, I just don't see it. I would not be shocked if the trade a little back and took the safety Branch from Alabama. They want an immediate impact player and I'm not sure a Tackle at 13 does that with Brown, Becton and Mitchell there already competing for 2 spots. The wildcard is a WR if Davis gets traded. 

The more I have looked into the draft I have realized that there's a high possibility that the lineman that will be available at 13 might not be plug and play and they might just take one in the 2nd and take an impact player at 13 like you said....this signing makes that more likely. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The Jets are not taking an offensive lineman in the first round. only way they do is if they trade Becton. This will be a surprise pic or a trade back. Brown is going to be the starting left tackle. And they are not using number 13 on a guy who could possibly sit the bench this season on a team that has a one or two year window.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LockeJET said:

The Jets are not taking an offensive lineman in the first round. only way they do is if they trade Becton. This will be a surprise pic or a trade back. Brown is going to be the starting left tackle. And they are not using number 13 on a guy who could possibly sit the bench this season on a team that has a one or two year window.

i will say this, if they do trade back, it's more likely they don't go OL.  but still, if they drop back a few spots there could still be an OT there.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He ******* sucks. Hopefully they pick up a conversion IOL guys like Zavala who can take over when McGovern gets Rodgers smoked a few times

This.

Granted, everyone on the OL is going to look better with Rodgers getting rid o' the ball a full second before Zach did, but like I just don't get why people like McGovern. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i will say this, if they do trade back, it's more likely they don't go OL.  but still, if they drop back a few spots there could still be an OT there.

There could be one there if they drop back a couple spots but they aren’t going O line in the first round. Unless they surprise everyone and trade Becton. 

1 minute ago, LockeJET said:

There could be one there if they drop back a couple spots but they aren’t going O line in the first round. Unless they surprise everyone and trade Becton. 

i would be more apt to agree with you about no OL if the draft prospects were different.  the only other position i can see is DL b/c they're not going cb, qb, rb or te.  can't see those positions at 13-16.  so wr or ol or dl, with OL/DL as most likely.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i would be more apt to agree with you about no OL if the draft prospects were different.  the only other position i can see is DL b/c they're not going cb, qb, rb or te.  can't see those positions at 13-16.  so wr or ol or dl, with OL/DL as most likely.

DT or WR will be the pick. Also not ruling out Edge

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think Sperm Edwards nailed it, with Rodgers inbound, JD simply isn't going to put Rodgers behind any rookie O-lineman.

And JD, like so many GM's, think's "his guys" are really secretly better and reliable than they've ever show themselves to be in actual gameplay....

IMO we're desperate for multiple upgrades on the O-line, and they're health is 100% our single biggest team risk going into a Rodgers-led 2023 now.

It looks like we won't get any new/drafted upgrades at all, and will thus risk seeing Rodgers run around like a chicken with no head just like Zach did so many times last year.

JD's gambling alot on this one.

I still expect 1 offensive lineman in the first 2 rounds.  I believe the Jets are simply leveraging AVT's guard/tackle versatility.  

The Jets cannot risk injuries killing their season.  They need quality offensive linemen ready to make an impact.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick #13:  Skoronski (top choice); or WR; or possibly trade down to draft a WR & grab another pick

Skoronski is NFL ready, the concern is the others will need a development year before becoming quality Tackles (most OTs have their fair share of struggles year 1)

Pick #42/43:  BPA @ WR, LB, FS, DT if Skoronski falls to #13.  Otherwise, best Big 10 Center available if they go WR round 1

I expect scenario 2 to play out:  WR in round 1, Center in round 2.  We need to upgrade the offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I still expect 1 offensive lineman in the first 2 rounds.  I believe the Jets are simply leveraging AVT's guard/tackle versatility.  

The Jets cannot risk injuries killing their season.  They need quality offensive linemen ready to make an impact.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick #13:  Skoronski (top choice); or WR; or possibly trade down to draft a WR & grab another pick

Skoronski is NFL ready, the concern is the others will need a development year before becoming quality Tackles (most OTs have their fair share of struggles year 1)

Pick #42/43:  BPA @ WR, LB, FS, DT if Skoronski falls to #13.  Otherwise, best Big 10 Center available if they go WR round 1

the one wild card in the draft for the jets is, if they (and avt) are comfortable playing him at LT.  if that's a switch they may make permanently, then they can go in another direction much easier

Well we needed a center and he is better than spencer long and wesley johnson so there is that.  I do hope they were joking when they blamed the poor oline play on 'injuries'.

Watch the jets do something utterly stupid now like use #13 overall on a pass rusher or DT instead of oline.

• Sympathy 1

Slightly surprised by this, and its timing, but I guess it's one less need going into the draft.  I had felt sure that the Jets were targeting one of the top Centers early, but this may change things.

Of course, it could also be the case that the Jets managed to use the threat of adding a guy early to convince McGovern to re-sign, pre-draft, for a discount deal.

And it could also be a ploy to make other teams think the Jets are less likely to take a guy like JMS in round 2 - McGovern's contract details should tell us something, if we see the numbers before the draft.

Anyway, McGovern is solid but I wouldn't rule out an upgrade if a guy the Jets really like is there in round 2, or they could go for a developmental guy in the mid-to-late rounds.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

53 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Slightly worrisome in that they believed he'd get big money. Although that could just be the PR story that decided to go with.

He didn't get big money elsewhere because he's average at best, and everyone knows it. This is the most overrated position on the field and still needs to be upgraded long term for when Rodgers retires and we're back to square one/young. Short term with a veteran QB, I guess you can live with it.

Fixed 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Agree, McGovern is a bridge to a C that can be found in the draft.  The other "bridge" that needs a plan is Mosley.  Right now, unless you're a big believer in Sherwood, we have no transition plan for a 31-year old MLB whose contract is designed for him to be cuttable in 2024...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Now let's get Kwon Alexander back!

Most of us would be happy with this but for some reason I don't think he's coming.  

IMO, the Jets already have his replacement ... his name is Chuck Clark.  Could be wrong but his strengths are similar to Alexander's (covering tight ends and a box run defender) and the Jets have converted safeties to linebackers before.

They are keeping Whitehead to start at SS, where Clark can also back-up.  The FS spot should have Tony Adams competing with a draft pick.

Sherwood backs up all LB positions.  Need to draft another .. I personally expect a middle linebacker to fully take over for Mosley next year.  

Joe Douglas values versatility.  Look at the players he has traded for or signed this offseason.

1. Chuck Clark is one of the most versatile Safeties in the league, at his best playing in the box.

2. Wes Schweitzer has started a lot of games at LG (2,219 career naps), RG (1,979 snaps) & Center (430 snaps)

3. Trystan Colon was the Ravens back-up Center but also started (graded well) at Guard last year 

4. Allen Lazard is as much a big slot as an outside receiver, and fills a huge need in the Red Zone

5. Mecole Hardman returns, catches, and run the ball

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

Agree, McGovern is a bridge to a C that can be found in the draft.  The other "bridge" that needs a plan is Mosley.  Right now, unless you're a big believer in Sherwood, we have no transition plan for a 31-year old MLB whose contract is designed for him to be cuttable in 2024...

I 100% believe the CS thinks Sherwood is CJs replacement. He played very well when given the opportunity last year and has been learning and growing for 2 years under cj

Smart.  McGovern is solid.   W/ Brown coming back, AVT getting healthy and resigning McGovern.  You're returning 4 of 5 starters.  I like it.  Cohesion is important on the OL and if all goes well, the only "new" starter to the OL this year could be Becton, assuming he can stay healthy.  It also gives the Jets a ton of flexibility going into the draft, so the timing is fantastic.  While I still think T is prob the pick at 13, I think altogether, their not in a position where they will feel forced to take a player just because of need. 
Out of curiosity... how big of an impact did injuries play in Duane brown's mediocre season?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• WTF? 1