Jets resign Mcgovern

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't understand why people think Douglas is going to go full needs-based early in the draft this year.

His draft history is littered with failure pre-2022 but you can't deny the process at least has made sense in the early part of the drafts.  He's taken what he hoped to be a franchise LT, a QB, two WRs, a high-end interior G/T combo, a CB, an athletic EDGE rusher, and a playmaking RB with his 1st and 2nd round picks so far in his tenure.

Only a few of those early picks have worked out but it's very hard to argue he's valued the wrong positions since his arrival.

The 2021 draft was good. 

Ask @Green Ghost and @kevinc855

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't understand why people think Douglas is going to go full needs-based early in the draft this year.

His draft history is littered with failure pre-2022 but you can't deny the process at least has made sense in the early part of the drafts.  He's taken what he hoped to be a franchise LT, a QB, two WRs, a high-end interior G/T combo, a CB, an athletic EDGE rusher, and a playmaking RB with his 1st and 2nd round picks so far in his tenure.

Only a few (3 or 4) of those 9 early picks have worked out but it's very hard to argue he's valued the wrong positions since his arrival.  Not to mention the traits he's looked for.

Trade up for a guard wasn’t great positional value, but he’s largely been good. Do it like the Eagles. Lines and playmakers.

• Upvote 2

Just now, derp said:

Needing to avoid the negatives is why I’m leery of guys with “tools” super early in the draft too. Late round one or after, fine. I don’t really care about the pancake block if it’s got some whiffs mixed in there too. Just give me the consistent guy with good technique.

I think Douglas was shooting for a HOF-level LT when he took Becton.  He wanted special; the next Jonathan Ogden.  Not just a solid, top 12-ish in the league LT.

I get WHY he did it but when it fails, ooh boy, it fails hard.  Let's hope Becton still has time to make that pick look not so dumb in hindsight.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, derp said:

Trade up for a guard wasn’t great positional value, but he’s largely been good. Do it like the Eagles. Lines and playmakers.

AVT showed he could play OT also, however.  Just like with Becton, Douglas saw "special" with AVT.  And given how good the offense was with him and how bad it was without him last year, he might just be right on that one.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I think Douglas was shooting for a HOF-level LT when he took Becton.  He wanted special; the next Jonathan Ogden.  Not just a solid, top 12-ish in the league LT.

I get WHY he did it but when it fails, ooh boy, it fails hard.  Let's hope Becton still has time to make that pick look not so dumb in hindsight.

Wholeheartedly agree. He swung out of his shoes with that pick. Zach Wilson too.

I think Broderick Jones would be kind of the same, but maybe this time there’s a plan in place (develop behind Duane Brown). If those guys met on the pre-draft visit and clicked, then maybe it’s a good plan.

Last year’s draft was a little more make hard contact and some will go over the fence. I’m curious if that continues or if he just looks for ways to take those big swings but feel better about it.

23 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Look at how the league values C, I’m not just making this up. The vast majority of starting centers make in the 6 mil range, which is the lowest of all OL. Many times they are also mid round picks or later. This shows that many fans overrate them. 

Centers rarely take on 1 on 1 blocks against DL. They usually help the guards or pull and try and take out a smaller lb/s. This by itself makes them less valuable. Many times guys who play center do it because they aren’t big/strong enough to play guard. 

Trying to correlate  the jets failure with the center position is ridiculous. Having bad QBs is why the jets have sucked, it has nothing to do with center play. 

Most of this is just wrong.

Playing center isn't just about blocking. Start there.

• En Fuego 1

2 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Can’t say I didn’t see this coming.

Front office is stacking the room with vets. Man goes down again, next vet up.

Can’t say I agree, but I’d bet the mortgage OL in not being taken in round 1.

If they want vets everywhere, what do you see them selecting?  It still should be draft for impact and if it fails you have a vet to backfill. 

12 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If last year serves any lesson, I’d still expect another OL pick or two this draft.   But right now they have 4 OT -edit -3 (was counting Becton) who started games for them last year (5 with AVT) and are returning their starting interior line.

Biggest holes I see are a true FS, run plugging DT, and upgrading the WR/RB rooms 

Exactly. AVT could be our 5th OT (if you are including Becton) and we signed 2 interior OL. in free agency.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well at least now they won’t be using a 2nd rd pick on a center. Current needs going into draft are: OT, LB, DT, S, WR

Maybe they would draft one of those highly-rated centers, and use him flexibly along the line as a backup for this year, then be the starting center next year. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So what you’re saying is he was looking for a Tristan Wirfs?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

AVT showed he could play OT also, however.  Just like with Becton, Douglas saw "special" with AVT.  And given how good the offense was with him and how bad it was without him last year, he might just be right on that one.

Yeah he might be right. I think we overvalue AVT relative to what he’s done with his time in the league, to be honest. He’s been very good and was on his way to making the leap to special last, year but don't think he did it long enough to be quite there yet. The tackle versatility is certainly nice.

That said, those picks he keeps giving up to move up could’ve been used on developmental OL, LB’s, safeties…

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Only a few (3 or 4) of those 9 early picks have worked out but it's very hard to argue he's valued the wrong positions since his arrival.  Not to mention the traits he's looked for.

Aright snippy. 

I agree! I do think it'll be OL or WR. Just keep stacking. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

So what you’re saying is he was looking for a Tristan Wirfs?

Absolutely should have taken Wirfs - solid, safe pick with upside. Would’ve let Fant play LT where he was better. Would’ve been great.

But that upside wasn’t Ogden. I liked Wirfs over Becton, but if the point is he was rolling the dice for a generational player, the guy with that potential was Becton.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If they want vets everywhere, what do you see them selecting?  It still should be draft for impact and if it fails you have a vet to backfill. 

I think they like Kancey. 

Could see a play maker on offense.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget that there are guys who are listed in draft rankings at one position (ex. guard) but have experience playing other positions along the line during their college careers.  Some examples:

Cody Mauch (ND State) - listed at guard but started 3 years at LT

Steve Avila from TCU is listed at guard but has starting experience at center.

Nick Broeker (Ole Miss) is listed at guard but has 2 seasons starting at LT (in the SEC)

I would think these are the types of guys JD may look to target (AVT being the prime example)

Solid move that gives the Jets more flexibility in the draft. The team had an inordinate amount of injuries on the OL last year, and crappy QB play will make any OL look worse. Bringing them back is smart. Continuity is critical on the line. Jets DL needs are more pressing, imo, especially now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Center is a "pass/fail" position (Wesley Johnson and Spencer Long were in the "fail" group, to be sure). 

Disagree that center is a pass/fail. You can muddle through with a marginal one (as McGovern was/is), a bad one will kill you (Ryan Kalil), but a top center can make your offense elite. The two best centers in football played in the Super Bowl last year. The Jets have to aim higher.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, derp said:

Absolutely should have taken Wirfs - solid, safe pick with upside. Would’ve let Fant play LT where he was better. Would’ve been great.

But that upside wasn’t Ogden. I liked Wirfs over Becton, but if the point is he was rolling the dice for a generational player, the guy with that potential was Becton.

Fair enough but JD has, what appear to be, two hard strikes. MB &  ZW...

back to McGovern, we can say he's an average center by PFF grades but if he was any good he would not have returned on what will be a very cheap deal when it's announced  

his best quality is being available 

with McG, Wes S, and Trystan Colon they probably don't take OC 4 on the first two days of the draft. 

Similarly I don't see how they take OT 4 on day 1 of the draft either (Brown, Becton, Mitchell, Rookie). 

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Let's hope he gets it together just in time for a new contract!

• Haha 1