Jets resign Mcgovern

I think what we’re also seeing is us trying to have vets in here starting if we’re making a SB run. Starting a handful of rookies is always far fetched if you’re a win now team. It’s creating a pipeline and depth though and also makes guys have to earn their staring spots. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

JD might still go C early instead of OT. McGovern is supposedly a better G than C, so if injuries do strike OT again, AVT could slide outside and McGovern to G.

We might know more when the contract numbers come out. If it is a short and/or cheap deal, he's viewed as a stop-gap to someone younger and better.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Damn.  Was really hoping for one of these top prospects.  I guess it's still possible, but not really a priority anymore.  Bright side is it opens up more options in the 2nd.  

Round 2 is where we get our future center more than likely. Tippman or Schmitz 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Now let's get Kwon Alexander back!

And draft the LB from Auburn Owen Pappoe  and Noah Sewell. Those two instantly improve the defense which many think is all elite. thinnk again and check out how the Jags just embarrased us last year. The Jags.  JD has to improve this defense.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see us have a little luck go our way this time. Joe let this kid get our in FA, didn't waste his time etc. I think they were just as surprised by him not signing anywhere else. Glad he is back, he has played well for us and def a big help for us to make this years line better. But simply not having to fill his spot along with the other variables, it should be a lot better chance of us getting stronger in the draft and remaining days of FA.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Damn.  Was really hoping for one of these top prospects.  I guess it's still possible, but not really a priority anymore.  Bright side is it opens up more options in the 2nd.  

Yes sir! love this. I really hope we take a WR in round 1 honestly. Then C/G/T in rounds two.

This is a great move by JD . . . but no one should be thinking OK we now have one of the premiere OL’s in the NFL with a couple of Pro Bowlers on it (like we did with some of our best Jets OL’s from the past).

If our OL has another injury filled season like last year Aaron Rodgers will be running for his life even with his quick release.

Believe me I love drafting defensive players too! I know the fans are very happy on draft day if we have draft some defensive stud to play defense for us (I always was too). But the key this year is adding to our OL anyway we can (which probably is through a trade for draft picks) to shore up protection for Aaron Rodgers to work his magic and hopefully get us into the playoffs for the first time in 13 years!

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Center before the 4th/5th just fell off the table.  If Wypler falls to the 5th (doubtful) I could maybe see him there now.

Disappointed honestly, McGovern isn't terribly good, and O-line is shaping up to be as bad, and as unreliable health-wise, as it was last year.

WR at #13 may be more of a possibility than I previously thought, seeing this.

More and more I think JD thinks the Oline is fine as-is, and it's not in need of material upgrade.  i.e. "The Jets have always believed this group is better than it showed last year".

Probably thinks they just need to stay healthy.  I think he's wrong, but it's his job on the line, not mine.

/shrug

I wouldn’t say that.  I think C is very much on the table for the 2nd round.

I’m more than ok with McGovern.  He’s very solid, not spectacular, but can be a great influence on a guy we draft to be the future of the position, whether he’s selected this year or next year, should we opt to go that route.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

What’s your take on the jets trading back in the first, and the likelihood they’d actually go OL in the first and second assuming they do trade for rodgers?

It was a couple of weeks ago, but I do know there is some strong interest in trading down in the 1st round.  For the 1st, I believe WR, T, and C are all on the table.  Same goes for the 2nd.

• Upvote 1

This is a good re-sign takes a lot of pressure off come draft day and I think, as some have stated, this OL will look much better with Rodgers behind center. 

I still think we draft an OT in round 1 but we do have Brown Becton and Mitchell so it all depends on how the coaching staff and Douglas view the situation with a win this year mentality. 

Could possibly go WR and send Corey Davis, who has been terrible in so many ways, packing.  Would make me happy if they just sent him on his way regardless if we pick a WR or not.

Could go LB as well. I have not been following the draft much this year been too busy but if a good one is available I say go for it.

I do not think we spend on an Edge / DE this year. Our pressure on the QB will come from various schemes/ Stunts rather than 1 DE . We run committee across the entire DL and that's not going to change since we get good pressure across the DL . The committee thing just keeps them fresh since we rely so much on the front 4 with minimal blitzing.  If anything we could look DT

Second round I think we look Safety we could really use a game changer at the position since the D looks to be in place with good depth now is the time to look Safety IMHO. When your building a team I'm not spending a high pick on a safety but when you are a top five defense with good depth I can't think of a better time to fill that hole.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I wouldn’t say that.  I think C is very much on the table for the 2nd round.

I’m more than ok with McGovern.  He’s solid, not spectacular, and can be a great influence on the guy we draft to be the future of the position, whether he’s selected this year or next year.

So we're going to use a 2nd round pick, in an all-in-on-Rodgers season/period, on a backup Center?

When we now have McGovern and Wes Schweitzer already in-hand?

That seems an odd set of decisions to me, but /shrug, the fanbase here seems to like it.  

McGovern is average (literally, he got ranked 16th in the NFL last I could find such a ranking) when he's at his best.  But he's below average on pass blocking, lets up alot of sacks, and gets his QB's killed (Mike White) at his worst.   

But everyone seemingly loves it, I guess it's that time of year where every move is teh awsome, lol, and eveyone forgets how unhappy they were during the last regular season over these guys they're now happy we're keeping. 

SMH.  Fish on an Island as usual, I guess.

50 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Fair enough but JD has, what appear to be, two hard strikes. MB &  ZW...

Not me defending Douglas. I just thought the post I quoted was a silly response to the post that the post I quoted was quoting.

And somehow I can’t be any clearer than that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Absolutely should have taken Wirfs - solid, safe pick with upside. Would’ve let Fant play LT where he was better. Would’ve been great.

But that upside wasn’t Ogden. I liked Wirfs over Becton, but if the point is he was rolling the dice for a generational player, the guy with that potential was Becton.

I'd also like to see how Wirfs does without Brady.  As noted elsewhere re: Rodgers, HOF QB's tend to make their OL play better...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Second round I think we look Safety we could really use a game changer at the position since the D looks to be in place with good depth now is the time to look Safety IMHO. When your building a team I'm not spending a high pick on a safety but when you are a top five defense with good depth I can't think of a better time to fill that hole.

Takeaways make a player worth his weight in gold.

It’s why Eddie Jackson got paid.

I don’t care how they find the guy, but they need a FS capable of intercepting a pass.

FWIW, Branch is considered the #1 safety with a massive drop off after.

He won’t be there at #43

• Upvote 1

I don’t see this as a surprise. Unless they used the 13 pick on a center I couldn’t see them getting a player who can start from day one. McGovern gives them the option of using a letter pick for the center position.  Also, could this move have freed up one the second round picks so it can be traded for Rodgers?

Good signing IMO.  Not sure about the money but thinking it can't be too much.  Another year of continuity on the line with a superior decision maker at QB should bode well.  If I recall early in the year before we got decimated by injuries we were running the ball very well.  Put a real passer behind center and the defense can't load the box like they were able to do daring Wilson to beat them.  Running punishes the defense and sets up the passing game where we have a far superior talent pulling the trigger.  Should be pretty explosive.  

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'd also like to see how Wirfs does without Brady.  As noted elsewhere re: Rodgers, HOF QB's tend to make their OL play better...

Agree. But at this point, three years into their career, Wirfs vs. Becton looks pretty one sided.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

So we're going to use a 2nd round pick, in an all-in-on-Rodgers season/period, on a backup Center?

When we now have McGovern and Wes Schweitzer already in-hand?

That seems an odd set of decisions to me, but /shrug, the fanbase here seems to like it.  

McGovern is average (literally, he got ranked 16th in the NFL last I could find such a ranking) when he's at his best.  But he's below average on pass blocking, lets up alot of sacks, and gets his QB's killed (Mike White) at his worst.   

But everyone seemingly loves it, I guess it's that time of year where every move is teh awsome, lol, and eveyone forgets how unhappy they were during the last regular season over these guys they're now happy we're keeping. 

SMH.  Fish on an Island as usual, I guess.

It’s a very deep C class, so I’d argue that any chance you can a 1st round talent in the middle of the 2nd round, for one of the most important positions on the OL, who can be 10 year+ player, you take it.  That being said, I get what you are saying.

As for McGovern, I have always been in the camp that the QBs under center, along with the injuries across the line, are responsible for some of his negative plays.  I can only speak for myself, but we’ll see.

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

you mean for the mediocracy of the line ??? after schmidt, fields, sweeney, mawae, mangold one gets spoiled. 

i want an elite center, not a jag

First of all center is the least important position on the field. Secondly, where are we getting this “elite” center from? Mcgovern is more than serviceable 

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 1

I think it’s a matter of perspective. At this point in the offseason it’s a starter who’s around an average NFL center or slightly below average which depending on money being in alignment is solid. On a macro level, it’s pretty disappointing that they have not manages to even scrounge up a developmental center prospect in the time JD has been here. Pretty much a failure there. 

It’s also hard to stomach Laken and CMG next to each other with how regularly they allow interior pressure. 

This was as much, a depth move. As anything else. They will still be drafting offensive lineman, because of the injury history and age  of their current line. 

He was obviously not given a lot, 5-6 million. Cannot face what we have over the last few years, picking up lineman off the scrap heap. 

This also is an interesting move as far as timing. Every other team has had to think we wanted an offensive lineman at 13. Now with the threat of possibly taking a WR, more teams might want to move up, allowing us to move down and gain more picks, while still getting what we want. 

We are trading 13 in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

First of all center is the least important position on the field. Secondly, where are we getting this “elite” center from? Mcgovern is more than serviceable 

What ? Least Important ?? You need to re-think that statement.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That wasn't on McGovern. It was a delayed 6 man blitz. LB delayed until McG committed to a double team and the RB committed to the first blitzer. Good design and if anyone it was on White to get rid of it quicker.

Agree and that was noticed on film and someone else got them another time in a later game. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Given the "Rodgers-All-In" theory for 2023, I don't see using a 2nd on a pure future-use reserve Center.

Same for the 4th, given our lack of picks (especially post-Rodgers trade where we likely lose one of our 2nds, minimum, in 2023).

With a 1, 2 and 4 being our only picks before the 5th, I think they'll use all of them on positions of real need for starting quality players.

LB, DT, WR (Maybe, hard to read JD on this with Davis still on the roster), not necessarily in that order. 

Given this move, I'm now more doubtful we look OT in the 1st or 2nd either.  Seems @Sperm Edwards was 100% right on this point.

I believe you're right.  He's just not very good.  Average for the position at his best.

I don't get too worked up over the cap.  Players are either good or not, that's what matter to me.

Definitely agree on the last point, but just as much concern is if it's just this year that's guaranteed or will it spill over to a 2nd year, making a decision to move on based on GM-face-saving and player performance rather than cleanly just the latter like we of course want. So even if he's "just" $5-6MM/year, if he gets a 2 year guarantee I'm more concerned with the not-going-to-happen potential upgrade in '24 than the $3-4MM/year savings over his prior contract per annum.

McGovern doesn't wow me either, but he's average more than average at best. Also don't discount how much having past Jets dog***t QB play made him look that much worse, too, so he might seem better while playing at the same level in '23. That, plus the whole stadium knowing 1st & 10 is going to be a run up the middle until the game is well out of hand. There are very few guys who shine even in those harder scenarios - like Wilson, Breece, and AVT - which is what makes them special.

Not everyone needs to be special like that, as much as we'd like it to be so. No one here wants Andrew Wylie blocking for the Jets' QB; he's more "average at best" than McGovern, and he's got a SB ring starting for KC last year, even if he was a joke of a turnstile in the KC/TB superbowl a couple years prior. 

With a McGovern-ish center it won't at all be the end of the season before it begins. Rodgers won two MVP awards with Lucas Patrick at guard & center. 

• Upvote 2