Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

27 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

we got a future HOFer that had 26tds/12ints 3700 passing yards and a 65% completion percentage in a "down" year.

Everyone of the SOJ crew fails to comment on his playing through a broken thumb on his throwing hand from Week 6 and on.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

As league insider Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Jets have already converted a portion of Rodgers’ salary into a signing bonus, which frees up a ton of cap space for the team as they continue to try to make a splash in free agency.

“For his 2023 salary, the #Jets picking up Aaron Rodgers’ already guaranteed option bonus of $58.3M means that it converts to a signing bonus for cap reasons — creating $43.7M of cap space and making his 2023 hit $15.7M,” Rapoport said in a tweet on Tuesday morning.

Jets haven’t done anything. He hasn’t even taken his physical yet. 

10 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

To get a guy like Aaron Rodgers even if it’s for a couple years and to still have a first and second rounder in this draft says we didn’t get fleeced. We basically traded Elijah Moore for Aaron Rodgers a second round pick next year that could become a one. It’s basically what everyone thought the deal was in the first place but an easier attainable conditional pick. Good trade for both teams but nobody got fleeced.

If that second round pick isn’t a first round pick then the Jets got roughly half a season (or less) of Aaron Rodgers for two second round picks.  The conditions really heavily favored the Packers.

Don’t think most expected the 13 for 15 trade too.

It’s the deal everyone expected with the Jets giving up a little more in every area of it that was supposed to be a sticking point (13 for 15, easier conditions in 2024, no 2025 return of capital if Rodgers plays one year).

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

As league insider Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Jets have already converted a portion of Rodgers’ salary into a signing bonus, which frees up a ton of cap space for the team as they continue to try to make a splash in free agency.

“For his 2023 salary, the #Jets picking up Aaron Rodgers’ already guaranteed option bonus of $58.3M means that it converts to a signing bonus for cap reasons — creating $43.7M of cap space and making his 2023 hit $15.7M,” Rapoport said in a tweet on Tuesday morning.

Which means if its a signing bonus then GB eats all of the signing bonus you realize that right?

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

high roller laughing GIF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

If that second round pick isn’t a first round pick then the Jets got roughly half a season (or less) of Aaron Rodgers for two second round picks.  The conditions really heavily favored the Packers.

It’s the deal everyone expected with the Jets giving up a little more in every area of it that was supposed to be a sticking point (13 for 15, easier conditions in 2024, no 2025 return of capital if Rodgers plays one year).

Rodgers is here for at least two years, even if somehow he didn’t play 65% of the snaps this season. 

5 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

As of right now rodgers only costs the jets 15 mill on the cap. But jets are also over the cap by about 7 million. Even if they magically bring his cap hit down to 1 million, jets have just enough money to sign their draft picks. Atleast if I’m reading this correctly

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets

CJ, Brown and Laken can all do the standard restructure turning their base into bonuses freeing almost 18 million. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Which means if its a signing bonus then GB eats all of the signing bonus you realize that right?

What part of this do you disagree with @Barry McCockinner? GB switching the option bonus to signing bonus gets put on GBs cap.... not Jets... so they essentially paid to get a better draft pick next year.

41 minutes ago, static14 said:

I have a feeling the new contract will be Rodgers parting knife twist to GB. 

It's going to be so funny when he is the lowest paid QB in the league.  Jets win 2 SB's because they built the team that GB never would around him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Rodgers is here for at least two years, even if somehow he didn’t play 65% of the snaps this season. 

Probably, but he’s also notoriously fickle and 39. Could get hurt too. And there’s nothing protecting the Jets if he doesn’t. 

Fleeced is dumb and wrong. 

The answer at the moment, maybe JD slightly overpaid but it's for the most important position in all of sports.  We're not talking a safety here folks...

Is it a fleecing? Hell no, not even close.

The real answer is we can't be sure until we see the new contract, see what kind of free agents Rodgers attracts, whether the Jets win a superbowl, etc.

• Upvote 3

I have a theory that we agreed to above average compensation to get this thing done now and get Rodgers on board with 100% buy in from the get go.  The importance of this to the team cannot be overstated and I think that was GB's leverage.   They could easily say "we'll consider your crappy offer of a 2nd and conditional 3rd but for that we will wait and see if anything better comes along.  If not we can review it again post June 1 when we get cap relief so we at least don't have to take it p the butt twice.  If that's what you want fine.  If you want him now this is what it is gonna take."  Anyway that's the only thing I can think of that would cause us to cave when we were the sole bidder.  Joe Douglas will be on ESPN Radio on Michael Kay show today.   Not sure if he would share this even if it was true but I'll be listening.  

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I also contend that it’s not a 2 yr window to win it, period - it’s a 2-3 yr window with rodgers.  It’s quite possible the rest of the team, in 3 yrs, will still be formidable and they’ll have a different qb to replace Aaron.  Jd just needs to draft like it’s 2022.

If we get 3 years, wow, that would be great.  Truly gives time to find a QB for post-Rodgers in a way a 1-year rental definitely doesn't.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, derp said:

Really?  I saw this speculated on a lot leading up to the trade.  This was probably the least surprising part of it for me.  I really though JD was going to play hardball and hang onto those 2nds this year.  Especially with all but guaranteeing GB our 1st rounder next year.  Having to cough up 42 on top of that was steep af.  Personally I think GB would have caved and either lessened the conditions of that '24 pick to a SB or even AFC Conference Championship appearance, or just accepted a straight up '24 2nd instead.  I think they wanted that 42 this year bad enough that they would have accepted a lesser return on the '24 pick if we would have waited them out.  JD flinched first.  

It's whatever though, I'm excited about Rodgers and what we can accomplish next year.  Just saying, he lost that trade(as of now, on paper).  

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If the jets win it all this year he shuts guys like this but have to say the media narrative today favors Green Bay getting the best of the trade. Time to win jets 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/25/in-the-end-the-packers-fleeced-the-jets-for-aaron-rodgers/amp/

Florio is a troll Vikings  fan that hates the packers and was invested in a lopsided trade from the beginning

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Really?  I saw this speculated on a lot leading up to the trade.  This was probably the least surprising part of it for me.  I really though JD was going to play hardball and hang onto those 2nds this year.  Especially with all but guaranteeing GB our 1st rounder next year.  Having to cough up 42 on top of that was steep af.  Personally I think GB would have caved and either lessened the conditions of that '24 pick to a SB or even AFC Conference Championship appearance, or just accepted a straight up '24 2nd instead.  I think they wanted that 42 this year bad enough that they would have accepted a lesser return on the '24 pick if we would have waited them out.  JD flinched first.  

It's whatever though, I'm excited about Rodgers and what we can accomplish next year.  Just saying, he lost that trade(as of now, on paper).  

I think it was talked about, but the most common framework I saw was 2023 second and 2024 conditional pick with haggling about the 2024 conditions and whether the Jets got anything back in 2025 if he only played a year.

It is exciting and also a lot to give up for a 39 year old QB whose team didn’t want him any more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, static14 said:

I have a feeling the new contract will be Rodgers parting knife twist to GB. 

I don’t think GB gives a f*ck.
Stop worrying about who won a trade and look forward to watching an actual premiere NFL QB in a Jet uniform. 
It’s not something we get to enjoy very often.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

If the jets win it all this year he shuts guys like this but have to say the media narrative today favors Green Bay getting the best of the trade. Time to win jets 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/25/in-the-end-the-packers-fleeced-the-jets-for-aaron-rodgers/amp/

Bob Griffin? ? 

gtfo GIF