### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

Pft. McDonald bout to spin Duane Brown into retirement. 

5-7 years ago, that would have been an accomplishment.

I give it two weeks of camp before they line him up against Becton to “boost his confidence.”

• Haha 2

Make no mistake, McDonald is an edge burner like Abraham. I just think Douglas missed a great opportunity. It was the perfect scenario to take Levis. Zach Wilson is not a future plan

Dude stfu and go swallow Levis on your own board

I'm less than thrilled. And it has nothing to do with Mcdonald who I have no clue about. 

I just saw this playing out. Jones there, NE screws us of course.

Guess we were due to come back down to earth after last year's draft. I'll say this, if he's good, a pass rusher is worth his weight in gold.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Jets signed 2 wrs in FA, they weren’t taking a wr.  And you see how teams think of these wrs. 

I have no issues taking a pass rusher.  And i do expect an OL tomorrow.  So does it really matter if they went OL/pass rusher or vice versa?  Just pick good players. 

Yeah, just pointing out that the guy everyone wanted there is sliding

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

How's Josh Allen doing? Rumor has it in Western NY that he cheated on his high school gf, got another chick pregnant, ex gf found out the day before the Bengals playoff game and destroyed his house. Then when Diiggs was yelling at him during that game it was bc Josh Allen's head wasn't in the game. Hows that whole thing going????

Kennedy cheated on Jackie. It happens...

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

IS THIS AARON MAYBIN PART DEUX ?

PFF : 2nd Round Grade

McDonald will be one of the more interesting defensive line prospects in the class because his tape is almost all at a position that he won't play in the NFL. He was frequently a four- or five-technique in Iowa State's defense at 236 pounds. McDonald is at his best in space off the edge, where he can be a speed rusher. He earned an 84.1 pass-rushing grade in 2022 and an 85.3 mark in 2021.

Where he wins: Explosiveness

McDonald can really get upfield and test an offensive tackle’s ability to get out of their stance. Combine that with his length, and it sets up anything he wants to do as an edge rusher.

What’s his role: 3-4 OLB/wide-9 defensive end

McDonald has all the traits to be an excellent speed rusher. You saw that whenever he was given the opportunity to pin his ears back at Iowa State. He earned a 92.6 pass-rushing grade against true pass sets this past fall.

What can he Improve: Play strength

McDonald very much understands leverage in the run game, but there’s only so much he can do without more sand in the pants. He seemingly has the frame to get bigger, but we need to see it.

SOME OTHER WEB SITE :

EDGE, Iowa State Cyclones

TDN Consensus Grade: 72.50/100 (Fourth-Round Value)

Will McDonald IV is an experienced player, playing in more than 50 games in his college career. McDonald had his most productive years at Iowa State during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, earning double-digit sacks in both seasons and being named Co-Defensive Lineman of the Year and First-Team All-Big-12 for the 2021 season. McDonald’s production dropped significantly in the 2022 season, posting five sacks, which could have been the result of him playing a higher variance of alignments along the defensive front.

As a pass rusher, McDonald is a speed rusher who uses a quick first step at the snap to attack the outside edges of offensive tackles. At the apex of the rush, McDonald shows to have hand counters (two-hand swipe, cross chop) that he can use to get the edge and turn the corner on offensive linemen to finish at the quarterback—showcasing fluid hips as well. McDonald is a smooth strider who, when his foot cadence times up with his hands, flashes the potential to be a high-level edge rusher on the next level.

As an edge rusher, there are elements of McDonald’s game that he can improve on. McDonald appears to be a straight-line player whose ability to instantly change direction laterally is limited. McDonald’s lateral moves are segmented, which affects his ability to stress offensive linemen laterally, and they have the ability to react to block McDonald.

As a run defender, McDonald is functional based on his alignment. At Iowa State, McDonald aligned on both the inside and outside shade of the tackle. But McDonald is best utilized when he is on the outside shade of the tackle where he can work on setting the edge and doesn’t have to worry about potential double teams. McDonald’s overall strength is a concern playing on the line of scrimmage.

Overall, McDonald’s value in the NFL is focused around his ability to evolve into a high-level pass rusher in the NFL using his length and natural athleticism while he continues to develop his strength to be an effective run defender.

Top Reasons to Buy In:

Natural length  
Upside as a pass rusher 
High motor 
Top Reasons For Concern:

Strength at the point of attack
Effectiveness defending the run 
Lack of pass-rush repertoire 
Size (NFL Combine):

Height: 6′ 4”

Weight: 239 lbs

Arm Length: 34 7/8”

Hand Size: 9 1/2”

Athletic Testing (NFL Combine):

40-yard Dash: TBD

Vertical Jump: 36”

Broad Jump: 11′ 0”

Short-Shuttle: TBD

Three-Cone: TBD

Bench Reps: TBD

Ideal Role: Stand-up edge rusher  

Scheme Fit: 3-4 OLB 

Sanchez Grade: 72.50/100
Written By: Keith Sanchez 

Exposures: Baylor (2022), Kansas State (2022), Texas (2022), Texas Tech (2022)

McDonald 6.85 3 cone. Maybin was at 7.5. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Does McDonald lineup wide over the RT or left? Lawson and JJ over LT, Huff usually over RT. Some Edfe Rushers have a stronger side or one easier to bend around

Both sides. For Jets I would expect him to take over Johnson’s rotational role at the LEO with JJ tapping into Lawson’s snaps at the REO while picking up the snaps vacated by Vinny Curry as a versatile defender all over the formation 

As they were prepared to do at tackle, this is very much a “figure it out” pick… how the integrate him is TBD

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Huff played about 16% of the D snaps last year.  This is the whole issue johnson and clemons were like 25% of the snaps.

oh well it is what it is.

How about replacement for Lawson then?  I think Lawson and huff will be gone. Johnson and McDonald will replace after this season.