Roster Update April 30 - After Draft and UDFAs

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

It scares me letting Ogbuehi go. He’s been a capable swing tackle. I’d really need to see Mitchell make a statement at both tackle positions in camp and PS before making that cut. OT would be my absolute latest cut.

Unless it is trade, I am not advocating moving any of these guys until we have to cut down to 53.  A lot can happen in camp, but I was just mentioning a couple guys who might be on the bubble if the young guys prove they can play.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, football guy said:

but best case scenario I would imagine the Jets would like to carry Ogbuehi on the PS.

That’s always a gamble. You can lose a player in an instant. I would prefer losing the FB and have Ruckert take on that limited role when needed. Keep the extra lineman. We can’t have a repeat of last year. 

Offense: 25

Qb- AR, ZW, Boyle (3)

RB- BH, MC, IA, ZK (4 to start season -1 after Breece healthy) 

WR- GW, AL, CD, MH, DM (5 + 1 after Breece at full health)

TE- TC, CJ, JR, ZK or KY (1 physical freak) (4)

OL- DB, MB, MM, McG, AVT, Tipp, Warren, Laken, Wes S. (9) * That Laken contract is a killer! 

Defense: 25

Edge- CL, MC, JJ, McD, Huff (5)

DT- QW, QJ, ST, JFM +1 (5)

LB- QW, CJ, JS +1 (4)

CB- Sauce, DJ, MC2, BH,  Echols (5)

S- JW, CC, TA, WP, AD, JB-C (6)

Special Teams: (3)

K- GZ

P- TM

LS- TH

Bolded- K/P return team designation

• Upvote 1

Btw Hunter Luepke the UFA fullback from North Dakota State that some of us were interested in yesterday signed with the Cowboys. They gave him 200K guaranteed. Also good story on Cowboys drafting Deuce Vaughn RB out of Kansas State and a very good college player. His dad is a scout in Cowboys org and team arranged for dad who didn’t know they were drafting his son to contact him and announce it. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

That’s always a gamble. You can lose a player in an instant. I would prefer losing the FB and have Ruckert take on that limited role when needed. Keep the extra lineman. We can’t have a repeat of last year. 

Offense: 25

Qb- AR, ZW, Boyle (3)

RB- BH, MC, IA, ZK (4 to start season -1 after Breece healthy) 

WR- GW, AL, CD, MH, DM (5 + 1 after Breece at full health)

TE- TC, CJ, JR, ZK or KY (1 physical freak) (4)

OL- DB, MB, MM, McG, AVT, Tipp, Warren, Laken, Wes S. (9) * That Laken contract is a killer! 

Defense: 25

Edge- CL, MC, JJ, McD, Huff (5)

DT- QW, QJ, ST +1 (4)

LB- QW, CJ, JS, Nas +1 (5)

CB- Sauce, DJ, MC2, BH,  Echols (5)

S- JW, CC, TA, WP, AD, JB-C (6)

Special Teams: (3)

K- GZ

P- TM

LS- TH

Bolded- K/P return team designation

JFM?

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The jets very obviously should bring Kwon Alexander back 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/04/jets-could-re-sign-lb-kwon-alexander

(though note it's based on a Cimini tweet from 5 days ago).

April 30th, 2023 at 12:05pm CST by Rory Parks

The Jets are open to re-signing linebacker Kwon Alexander, as ESPN’s Rich Cimini tweets. Cimini adds that the two sides have remained in touch throughout the offseason.

USATSI_19608159-260x300.jpg

Alexander, who is entering his age-28 season, agreed to a veteran-minimum contract with New York last July. In his first season as a member of Gang Green, the LSU product appeared in all 17 games (12 starts) and posted 69 tackles. Pro Football Focus assigned him an overall score of 63.0, which positioned him as the 44th-best LB among 81 qualifiers.

With Aaron Rodgers now in the fold, the Jets profile as legitimate championship contenders in 2023. Though the club missed the postseason last year, it still fielded the fourth-best defense in the league in terms of both yards allowed and points allowed, and after re-signing Quincy Williams in March, it stands to reason that the Jets would want to keep the third member of their C.J. Mosley/Williams/Alexander linebacker triumvirate intact. The fact that Alexander could likely be had for another modest contract — there have been no public reports of outside interest in him this offseason — makes him more attractive.

Plus, the draft did not do much to bolster New York’s LB corps. GM Joe Douglas did add a linebacker, Western Michigan’s Zaire Barnes, in the fifth round, but Barnes does not profile as a player that will immediately command significant snaps on the defensive side of the ball. He joins 2021 Day 3 draftees Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirildeen and reserve/futures signee Chazz Surratt as the only other ‘backers on the roster. That group combined to play 42 defensive snaps in 2022.

Another selling point for Alexander is that he holds up well in coverage. having yielded QB ratings of 81.5 and 89.5 over the past two seasons. He may not be the same player he was in 2017, when he earned his first and only Pro Bowl nod, but he remains a capable defender who is already familiar with Robert Saleh‘s high-end defense.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, football guy said:

I don’t want to count our chickens yet—let’s get through training camp without injuries—but best case scenario I would imagine the Jets would like to carry Ogbuehi on the PS.

For Becton, I think they need to put him through it. You certainly want to manage his reps to an extent, but going easy on him could just delay the inevitable. Missing the amount of games he has and coming back to be successful is not the norm; need to see if he can handle a very rigorous camp.

The criticism from inside the building was that Becton had a tendency to flip it on and off in terms of his prep. He would lose 30 lbs in 2 months and be like “see I told you so”, but that’s not a sustainable approach. It settled in for him last year that he needed to make a 24/7/365 commitment. Not only does that mean a healthy diet and a lower weight, but increasing pliability and blood flow to promote joint strength and quicker healing. There are guys who do everything they can and still get injured, and then there are guys who have unhealthy habits that contribute toward their propensity to get injured. Now that Mekhi is healthy and fit, they need to know whether he’s just injury prone or if the injuries were a result of his preparation and lifestyle. 

Any word on if the Jets plan on adding a legit veteran #1 or #2 receiver opposite Wilson? Maybe a starting vet O-tackle? Running back?

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/04/jets-could-re-sign-lb-kwon-alexander

(though note it's based on a Cimini tweet from 5 days ago).

April 30th, 2023 at 12:05pm CST by Rory Parks

The Jets are open to re-signing linebacker Kwon Alexander, as ESPN’s Rich Cimini tweets. Cimini adds that the two sides have remained in touch throughout the offseason.

USATSI_19608159-260x300.jpg

Alexander, who is entering his age-28 season, agreed to a veteran-minimum contract with New York last July. In his first season as a member of Gang Green, the LSU product appeared in all 17 games (12 starts) and posted 69 tackles. Pro Football Focus assigned him an overall score of 63.0, which positioned him as the 44th-best LB among 81 qualifiers.

With Aaron Rodgers now in the fold, the Jets profile as legitimate championship contenders in 2023. Though the club missed the postseason last year, it still fielded the fourth-best defense in the league in terms of both yards allowed and points allowed, and after re-signing Quincy Williams in March, it stands to reason that the Jets would want to keep the third member of their C.J. Mosley/Williams/Alexander linebacker triumvirate intact. The fact that Alexander could likely be had for another modest contract — there have been no public reports of outside interest in him this offseason — makes him more attractive.

Plus, the draft did not do much to bolster New York’s LB corps. GM Joe Douglas did add a linebacker, Western Michigan’s Zaire Barnes, in the fifth round, but Barnes does not profile as a player that will immediately command significant snaps on the defensive side of the ball. He joins 2021 Day 3 draftees Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirildeen and reserve/futures signee Chazz Surratt as the only other ‘backers on the roster. That group combined to play 42 defensive snaps in 2022.

Another selling point for Alexander is that he holds up well in coverage. having yielded QB ratings of 81.5 and 89.5 over the past two seasons. He may not be the same player he was in 2017, when he earned his first and only Pro Bowl nod, but he remains a capable defender who is already familiar with Robert Saleh‘s high-end defense.

Can’t blame Kwan for wanting to maximize, possibly, his last contract at age 29. Hoping JD can make the numbers work.

image.thumb.png.9309c37b516e6ae3d6756419cc8a911b.png

20 hours ago, football guy said:

The criticism from inside the building was that Becton had a tendency to flip it on and off in terms of his prep. He would lose 30 lbs in 2 months and be like “see I told you so”, but that’s not a sustainable approach. It settled in for him last year that he needed to make a 24/7/365 commitment. Not only does that mean a healthy diet and a lower weight, but increasing pliability and blood flow to promote joint strength and quicker healing. There are guys who do everything they can and still get injured, and then there are guys who have unhealthy habits that contribute toward their propensity to get injured. Now that Mekhi is healthy and fit, they need to know whether he’s just injury prone or if the injuries were a result of his preparation and lifestyle. 

And then there is Ted Washington... :)

1 hour ago, varjet said:

In four drafts JD has basically done nothing for LB and S. 

Outside of Davis and the kid from LSU we drafted this weekend, no. Does seem to like guys who project as a CB or a S (MC II, Pinnock). Seems to not want to spend draft capital on the position and  be operating under the belief that they can be found via FA or UDFAs

22 hours ago, Larz said:

No point in looking at the cap until they get Rodgers done but yeah need a veteran DT and the Hall knee situation might necessitate a veteran RB once they see where he’s at when they can go contact in drills. 

Can't imagine they will take a vet RB when they draft Izzy and have a fair UDFA in.  I guess that Elliott was linked and supposedly interested, but it would not be my move.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Can't imagine they will take a vet RB when they draft Izzy and have a fair UDFA in.  I guess that Elliott was linked and supposedly interested, but it would not be my move.

They are hoping Hall will be ready I’m just saying if he’s not the RB suddenly is very meh 

22 hours ago, football guy said:

I don’t want to count our chickens yet—let’s get through training camp without injuries—but best case scenario I would imagine the Jets would like to carry Ogbuehi on the PS.

For Becton, I think they need to put him through it. You certainly want to manage his reps to an extent, but going easy on him could just delay the inevitable. Missing the amount of games he has and coming back to be successful is not the norm; need to see if he can handle a very rigorous camp.

I want to give Mekhi the benefit of the doubt because the injury was essentially the same one twice. They did not do the full reconstruction 2 years ago and that led to the injury last year. His tweets last year were very immature, but this year it seems more like a guy that has a chip on his soldier than a sensitive twitter baby like last year. Let's face it, if Mekhi can be focused and healthy he can be a franchise LT

Also people saying DJ Reed is a Top 20 corner are seriously underrating him. He has been a Top 10 rated CB by PFF for 2 years running. He is small but a VERY good player. Our defensive performance had nothing to do with this coaching staff, or their beloved "rotation". It was driven by 4 players: Saucy Sauce Gardner (best corner in football as a rookie, crazy) adding DJ Reed, a Top 10 corner, Quinnen playing like he should finally and Breece Hall who had WAY more impact than his stats showed. In fact Quinnen and Reed had to call out the coaching staff before they used these guys right. Our HC and DC still suck balls

I think we have a really solid roster.

On the WRs I think a lot depends on who Rodgers likes. If he likes Mims he could get featured if not he could get traded. Look out for Charles. Several of the Jets other WRs said a lot of really positive things about him. I personally believe we should have picked JSN but we will see.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

In four drafts JD has basically done nothing for LB and S. 

49 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Outside of Davis and the kid from LSU we drafted this weekend, no. Does seem to like guys who project as a CB or a S (MC II, Pinnock). Seems to not want to spend draft capital on the position and  be operating under the belief that they can be found via FA or UDFAs

Right. I think he drafts safeties to play LB (Sherwood, Nasrildeen).  This year they took Barnes and listed McDonald at LB.  They also seem to draft corners to play safety - he took Davis the 1st year, then converted Pinnock, and I they have envisioned MCII in the Joyner role.  I think Echols played some S too.   Bernard-Converse also projects to the Joyner role IMO.  So that is a 1st and two 6ths this year.   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Thanks for keeping up with these @Sarge4Tide  I appreciate it. 

Might want to list the rookie try-out players.  Right now I only know of Tim DeMorat, the QB from Fordham and Jerome Kapp a WR from Kutztown State (Bruce Harper's alma mater) via Seton Hill.  I think that is the same tough low-level PA conference that gave us Rontez Miles.  Kapp is 6'1" 210, with modest speed 4.58, but a good 3 cone (6.79).  DeMorat was borderline draftable and I also saw him allegedly signed as an UDFA by Washington. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

That is a very average roster.

We need the defense to replicate its performance from last year and for Rodgers to play at an MVP level if we are going to get to the afc championship game, which should be the minimum goal.

No it's not. This roster is much better than average assuming it stays relatively healthy. They have like 7 guys who can be argued are the best at their positions so no, not average. Even Rodgers from last year would be a massive upgrade from the QB play over the last few years. This offense is going to have the ball more, be harder to defend, and keep the defense off the field and fresher. This team has a chance to be special but lets make the playoffs first before we start talking about Championship games and Super Bowls. 

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Thanks for keeping up with these @Sarge4Tide  I appreciate it. 

Might want to list the rookie try-out players.  Right now I only know of Tim DeMorat, the QB from Fordham and Jerome Kapp a WR from Kutztown State (Bruce Harper's alma mater) via Seton Hill.  I think that is the same tough low-level PA conference that gave us Rontez Miles.  Kapp is 6'1" 210, with modest speed 4.58, but a good 3 cone (6.79).  DeMorat was borderline draftable and I also saw him allegedly signed as an UDFA by Washington. 

He ended up signing with the Commanders

Commanders signed Fordham QB Tim DeMorat.

Initially rumored to be joining the Jets, DeMorat (6’4/219) will instead sign with Washington. DeMorat earned the starting job at Fordham as a true freshman in 2018 and never looked back. He closed out his career with the Rams in impressive fashion, chucking a 4,891-56-10 line and earning first-team All-American honors at the FCS ranks. He excelled on deep passes in 2022 per Pro Football Focus, completing 58-of-127 attempts for 2,161 yards and 36 touchdowns, and should have no trouble stretching the field against NFL defenses. His height allows him to see downfield and process his reads, and he’s willing to make plays with his feet when things break down. Still, DeMorat is a developmental player whose accuracy and decision-making proved erratic at times. He’ll look to become the first Fordham quarterback since John Skelton (2010-2013) to start an NFL game.

May 1, 2023, 11:14 AM ET

On 4/30/2023 at 11:04 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

xx – Trey Dean III (S) – Undrafted Free Agent

During UF’s pro day, Dean explained that he’d been dealing with labral hip tears that would require surgery. Plenty of teams still met with Dean leading up to the draft, but it looks like no one was willing to risk a pick on a player with healthy concerns heading into the offseason.

It might take some development to turn Dean into an NFL-caliber player, but he’s a dynamic defensive back that hits hard and tackles better than most fans give him credit for.

That's a feel good story if he makes the team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

IMG_5687.jpeg

^This. A I heard a pundit say recently (can't remember who,) that right now is only the early part of the offseason. Pre-draft, draft, now, post June 1st, summer camps and cut-down stages - all will have their spasms of activity, shaping the roster for Opening Day. You better believe someone in the front office is carefully tracking all the other rosters, their salary machinations, injuries, etc., to look for likely cuts and trade candidates. There's a lot of roster moves coming, but it won't just be triggered by what the Jets do internally.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Right. I think he drafts safeties to play LB (Sherwood, Nasrildeen).  This year they took Barnes and listed McDonald at LB.  They also seem to draft corners to play safety - he took Davis the 1st year, then converted Pinnock, and I they have envisioned MCII in the Joyner role.  I think Echols played some S too.   Bernard-Converse also projects to the Joyner role IMO.  So that is a 1st and two 6ths this year.   

Sherwood made huge improvements last year. Really hoping he continues that upward momentum 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I want to give Mekhi the benefit of the doubt because the injury was essentially the same one twice. They did not do the full reconstruction 2 years ago and that led to the injury last year. His tweets last year were very immature, but this year it seems more like a guy that has a chip on his soldier than a sensitive twitter baby like last year. Let's face it, if Mekhi can be focused and healthy he can be a franchise LT

I agree with this as well, but isolating his injuries to the same knee twice lacks context.

In 2020 he injured his shoulder/pec, which forced him to miss 3 games.

He injured his foot while training in 2021, which forced him to miss OTAs and left him out of shape to begin training camp. Also injured the knee that year and never returned. 

2022 injured the right knee that probably should’ve been reconstructed in the first place. His weight/shape and knee type made him susceptible to re-injury anyway, hence the reconstructive surgery. I heard somewhere a theory that he should permanently move to RT in order to protect his right knee. At RT, his inside leg (where the most pressure is put on) is the left leg. Not sure if the Jets feel this way or not, but it’s certainly going to be a limiting factor that will require persistent treatment and maintence regardless where he lines up.

He never dealt with injuries that we know of in college or in high school so there’s hope it’s just freak occurances, but every year it’s been something. Don’t see how we can bank on him remaining healthy until he does it for 2 years in a row 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, derp said:

We'll see. I like JFM inside but he's another penetrator. They've had a run stuffer in the past, and carried six edges in the past. They've got six edges now including JFM. I think they add a veteran big body to plug things up on early downs and in running situations, and JFM continues to kick inside in passing situations.

Exactly... Give me poona Ford... And let's go

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

You don't want to be a Professional NFL team starting Cedric Ogbuehi 

that's usually a sign everything's gone bad for you 

I don't even disagree, but it's the same for anyone who's down to their 5th (maybe 6th) OT, which is Ogbuehi's status right now. If it's an extended time he's out I think they swing AVT over and drop McGovern at RG rather than Ogbuehi out at tackle, but at that point we're probably talking about two of Brown-Becton-Mitchell already being on IR and the rookie looking totally not ready for prime time.

I will also just add that Ogbuehi is an example of it not always being a tragedy to miss out on a 1st round tackle.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  All 32 teams have a much better 6th tackle. 

I really can't believe we're going to do "it's malpractice for the Jets to have fewer than five starting-caliber OTs on the roster" for the second summer in a row.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I really can't believe we're going to do "it's malpractice for the Jets to have fewer than five starting-caliber OTs on the roster" for the second summer in a row.

I could be wrong but the expectation for starting tackles is to not get hurt. I feel like they are the most durable players in the league.