Jets Sign Ancient WR Randall Cobb

Just now, T0mShane said:

Lots of hand-wringing over a dude who’s going to get 30 targets this year.

seriously.  what's the difference between a guy who's 32 and getting those targets who knows the qb, and a rookie getting those targets?  catch the 7 yard pass and get a first down.

• Upvote 1

I see Cobb as an important cog in support of Rodgers.  I don't expect him to be a top option but his veteran presence, strong understanding of the offense and familiarity with Rodgers should create some big plays in spots.

That knowledge should go a long way in helping get all the pieces of the passing game up to speed faster.  That could easily be a bigger contribution than most teams get from their #5 receiver.  Could help take Garrett Wilson, Hardman, Davis and even Mims to a higher level and quicker.

The object of the game is to get and keep and develop the best players.  Hey I get we need and needed to pander to Rodgers to some extent, we got him is oc and his fav receiver.

The question becomes if we did no have Rodgers would be ever even think at all about Cobb?  I think the answer is no.

He will know what he is supposed to do and where he is supposed to go and hopefully catch the ball but I do not see him as the best option as a player for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The object of the game is to get and keep and develop the best players.  Hey I get we need and needed to pander to Rodgers to some extent, we got him is oc and his fav receiver.

The question becomes if we did no have Rodgers would be ever even think at all about Cobb?  I think the answer is no.

He will know what he is supposed to do and where he is supposed to go and hopefully catch the ball but I do not see him as the best option as a player for the Jets.

A fair concern, but was there some young stud WR we had on the roster or P.S. we're letting go for Cobb?  

I don't really think so, Smith is the most likely casualty and he's no future star, guys a special teamer at most.

Not really sure we're losing out on anything except the theoretical chance to roster some UDFA guy maybe, and a strong maybe because odds are that spot was/is Smith regardless.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A fair concern, but was there some young stud WR we had on the roster or P.S. we're letting go for Cobb?  

I don't really think so, Smith is the most likely casualty and he's no future star, guys a special teamer at most.

Not really sure we're losing out on anything except the theoretical chance to roster some UDFA guy maybe, and a strong maybe because odds are that spot was/is Smith regardless.

We lost out on a much needed young DT in Jonathon Marshall last year because we just had to keep shepherd, and solomon thomas and rankins on the roster when Pittsburgh came looking for him.  A year later two of them are gone and the 3rd is and was a total jag.

We have some young exciting prospects that have special teams ability both cover and return ability. 

Cobb will be okay and safe I am sure.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We lost out on a much needed young DT in Jonathon Marshall last year because we just had to keep shepherd, and solomon thomas and rankins on the roster when Pittsburgh came looking for him.  A year later two of them are gone and the 3rd is and was a total jag.

More a question of Saleh's system and judgement these I think.  Talent eval. questions are legit.

We have some young exciting prospects that have special teams ability both cover and return ability.

Do we?  Like who?

As someone noted, he had similar production to Elijah Moore last year with a similar level of targets.  As a #4/#5 instead of a #2 (like Moore was/should have been) that's ok.  Plus he brings experience with Rodgers and the new O system, and veteran leadership/maturity. 

There is some upside here overall, and if he's mostly depth/security, I think it's ok.  I don't see a Wayne Chrebet on this roster he's shouldering out, and even if we did, for the next two years it's 100% about Rodgers and winning anyway.  We're not in "give Chrebet a shot" mode at WR for a couple years. 

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think you overrate Marshall a fair bit.  He played some in 2021 and did not exactly light the world on fire.  He was on the practice squad until December without a peep and Tanzel Smart was getting activated ahead of him.  I don't think he played a snap for Pittsburgh. 

I don't think he was much needed since Smart, Marquiss Spencer, Isaiah Mack, Quinton Jefferson and Al Woods have been added and I don't think they have been cost prohibitive.  Developing a guy is nice, but when you have a solid roster you lose players.  IMO Jonathan Marshall aspires to be a total JAG, and I don't see that as an insult.  He is a fringe player.  Let's see if he gets any run in Pittsburgh.

Most of the time when you lose one of these bottom roster guys it boils down to injuries.  Marshall was nice depth to have last year, but they were pretty healthy at DT.  The Oline was a mess, so they were constantly shuffling people and bringing in guys like Remmers, Glaser, LDT, and Eric Smith.  It took roster space and made protecting their 6th DT less important.  They lost Pinnock because they loved Adams and I think they feel their corners (MCII and Echols) can also fill in at CB.  I think they were more likely to risk DTs since JFM and Clemons can be kicked inside so easily.  It is better to have a young team, but this year they should be good with vets because they are making a push.   

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

i thought the objective of the game is to win games, and ultimately, a super bowl

but since you brought it up, and since we do indeed have aaron rodgers as our QB, what WR sitting out there today would be the best option for the jets, taking into account the current depth chart and salary cap space?

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think you overrate Marshall a fair bit.  He played some in 2021 and did not exactly light the world on fire.  He was on the practice squad until December without a peep and Tanzel Smart was getting activated ahead of him.  I don't think he played a snap for Pittsburgh. 

I was going to post this. Did he play at all for Pitt last year? I legit don't know. 

I agree with fish that I would have rather held onto him than someone like Nathan Shepherd, but Shepherd was clearly beloved by the coaching staff and every coaching staff has guys like that. I'd feel worse if Marshall was tearing it up in Pitt. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

I was going to post this. Did he play at all for Pitt last year? I legit don't know. 

I agree with fish that I would have rather held onto him than someone like Nathan Shepherd, but Shepherd was clearly beloved by the coaching staff and every coaching staff has guys like that. I'd feel worse if Marshall was tearing it up in Pitt. 

According to pro football reference he didn't play a snap. They had to carry him as active because they signed him off our practice squad.  They signed him because Chris Wormley got hurt.  For 2023, Pittsburgh has signed Armon Watts and Breiden Fehoko, but they lost Alualu and Wormley.  Shepherd was playing real snaps and Marshall wasn't cracking the rotation.  Keeping Shepherd also looks like it might net them a comp pick, so Shepherd was playing better, gets us a 7th back vs. Marshall potential for the future. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

I would hope his guy in that spot is Wilson first and foremost. Our best WR.

If Wilson is open, I'm sure he would be.  But QB's have favorite targets.  And WR's get to know their QB's and how to get 'open' for them.  There is nothing wrong with having a guy like that on the team.  He will be that for Rodgers while Rodgers builds a rapport with Wilson.  That won't happen from game 1. 

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

If Wilson is open, I'm sure he would be.  But QB's have favorite targets.  And WR's get to know their QB's and how to get 'open' for them.  There is nothing wrong with having a guy like that on the team.  He will be that for Rodgers while Rodgers builds a rapport with Wilson.  That won't happen from game 1. 

Are you talking about Cobb or Lazard being his favorite target? Cause Lazard had like 70 more targets over the last couple of years. 

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Are you talking about my boy Jeff Smith?  He signed with the Giants in March. 

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you talking about Cobb or Lazard being his favorite target? Cause Lazard had like 70 more targets over the last couple of years. 

Cobb was one of his favorite targets for years.  Then, after Cobb left, Lazard became one of his guys.  Of course, Davante Adams was #1.  But Cobb was the security blanket.  

16 hours ago, jetfan40yrs said:

If you were having dinner with your wife at a restaurant, and someone started saying negatives about your wife in earshot, would you defend her?

If you really care about other people, you would not continue to offend them if they told you such.

You may not love the Lord Jesus, but you don't HAVE TO keep speaking His Name in vain KNOWING it's offensive to others.

Turn the other cheek

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

--- 6. BFFs: Rodgers and wide receiver Randall Cobb are extremely close. How close? Rodgers was an usher in Cobb's wedding and served as the godfather to Cobb's youngest son, Cade.

"I had a birthday party [in January] for my son, his godson, and [Rodgers] flew in for it -- for a 3-year-old's birthday party," Cobb said. "That's the type of person he is."

7. Security blanket: If you think Cobb is just going to be a spare part on offense, think again. Not only is he the only pure slot receiver on the roster, but he has the trust of Rodgers -- and that counts for a lot. The 32-year-old Cobb still was targeted on 20.6% of his routes run last season, according to ESPN Stats & Information data -- his highest percentage since 2014.

If Cobb can stay healthy -- an issue in recent years -- he will be part of the receiver rotation.

rest of above article  >> https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/92009/why-jets-coach-robert-saleh-expects-aaron-rodgers-to-make-his-job-easier

• 4 months later...
On 5/3/2023 at 9:13 AM, slats said:

They’re certainly similarly old. Last we saw OBJ, he was carted off the field for yet another ACL. Hopkins has missed time the last two years, too. Both are/would be massively expensive, and I don’t know how anyone can expect them to be their previously explosive selves at this stage of their careers. Cobb gives you a consistent 70% catch rate and 12 ypc, which is actually better than Hopkins 65% and 12 ypc the last couple years. Cobb’s production in 2020 & 21 is very similar to OBJ’s. Both a little over 800 yards total at around 12.5 ypc, but Beckham’s catch rate was around 53%. 

Yeah, two guys are much bigger names and are being paid accordingly, but aren’t offering much more on the field nowadays. 

bye week check-in on Cobb - wondering if he's still _actually_ better than Hopkins?