Jets Sign Ancient WR Randall Cobb

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Probably why we didnt take JSN.  Huge mistake.  Cobb is totally washed up.

What have you done Joe Douglas?  What have you done??

Not because 

Weaknesses
  • Vast majority of his production came in one season.
  • Rolls into his breaks with top-heavy momentum.
  • Lacks suddenness for separation in and out of breaks.
  • Below average top-end speed to win vertically.
  • Likely to be viewed as a slot-only option.
  • Lacks burst to elude after the catch.
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Maybe I misread, but the thought that JD didn't draft JSN because of Cobb is patently absurd.

Oh, guess we disagree then.  I'd presume Cobb-to-Jets was in the works before the Jets draft, given this timing, and that Rodgers wanted it this way.  I'm sure that would factor into what JD would pivot to if (as happened) all the top OT's were already off the board.

If you don't think it played any part, you're entitled to that view, lord knows us fans will never know.  But why would JD draft a WR if he knew he was planning to have Wilson/Davis/Lazard/Cobb/Hardman/Mims as his 6 guys?  Unless we think JD still plans to move Davis or Mims maybe?

Ok, at least now I understand your reaction, we just disagree on this.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He’s better than Berrios or Jeff Smith 

Right.  That is what all the folks complaining don't see.  Lazard replaces Moore.  Hardman replaces Berrios.  Cobb replaces Jeff Smith.  Most of the complaints involved us thinking Davis was a goner.  I still think they will do something with his (and Rodgers) deal, but I don't know what.  Besides, someone is going to get hurt and there will be more room.  People worried about Xavier Gipson are ridiculous.  OMG we cut the next Greg Dortch1!

*1:  Who now is an actual NFL receiver with the Cardinals. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Right.  That is what all the folks complaining don't see.  Lazard replaces Moore.  Hardman replaces Berrios.  Cobb replaces Jeff Smith.  Most of the complaints involved us thinking Davis was a goner.  I still think they will do something with his (and Rodgers) deal, but I don't know what.  Besides, someone is going to get hurt and there will be more room.  People worried about Xavier Gipson are ridiculous.  OMG we cut the next Greg Dortch1!

*1:  Who now is an actual NFL receiver with the Cardinals. 

Who, by the way, had a better season then Elijah Moore. 

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If mccagnan had done this you alll be flying the fire the gm banner 

I which alternate reality would Mr. Coffee secure the roster which JD has?????  Mr. C deserved 0% benefit of the doubt; JD 75% at least.  SOJF :) 

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't get the hate since we're not paying big $, it's not a comp-pick cost free agency signing, we didn't give up any assets for him. 

He's the last guy on the depth chart, with vet experience, and makes Rodgers comfortable. Who cares?

Nothing to hate or get excited about honestly.

They have created the narrative that "JD didn't draft JSN or Kincaid because of Cobb."

It's hysterical actually. I don't understand the thinking behind it, if any. JD rejects a potential stud, 5-year starting WR, because of a cheap, one-year deal with a player soon to retire.   

Yeah right.  How about that JD didn't think as highly as this board for a slot WR and went with the player his coach coveted?  Just as likely.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes. How will we ever replace his average of 33 catches a year for 10.5 million? That’s like 300K per catch. And over 3 million per touchdown. Just can’t go into the season without THAT guy. (Note - sarcasm)

Are you serious? Who was throwing to him?

40 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This is like Scotty McKnight all over again what a joke.

Dude is ancient and is only here to play Xbox with Aaron.

Hes a WR5. How is bringing in steady Randall Cobb as a WR5 warranting such a negative reaction?

Guarantee he has better hands than Berrios and Mims on their best days. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

So he's obviously replacing Mims. Corey Davis is arguably our 2nd best receiver.

This makes the most sense.  As bad as he's been, I bet JD can find a taker for Mims willing a conditional 6th/7th rounder...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ZachWilsonRightArm said:

Hes a WR5. How is bringing in steady Randall Cobb as a WR5 warranting such a negative reaction?

Guarantee he has better hands than Berrios and Mims on their best days. 

I think it'll be an interesting bet on if Cobb winds up 5th in targets in 2023 or better.

I have a distinct feeling he'll be 4th in targets, not 5th, personally.

Wilson/Davis/Lazard/Cobb/Hardman/Mims, in that order, is how I would wager (today) that targets ends up.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think it'll be an interesting bet on if Cobb winds up 5th in targets in 2023 or better.

Wilson/Davis/Lazard/Cobb/Hardman/Mims, in that order, is how I would wager (today) that targets ends up.

You could very well be right. Although there were reports stating Hardman was brought in to be a big piece of this offense with his game breaking speed. 

I’ll say this much, it sure will be nice having a QB able to get the most out of his guys. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Probably why we didnt take JSN.  Huge mistake.  Cobb is totally washed up.

What have you done Joe Douglas?  What have you done??

woman screaming GIF by Kathiuska

they got pills for whatever you got

• Haha 3

You could very well be right. Although there were reports stating Hardman was brought in to be a big piece of this offense with his game breaking speed. 

Certainly possible.  Hard to say today how the staff (or even AR) feels about these guys, beyond Wilson.

I’ll say this much, it sure will be nice having a QB able to get the most out of his guys. 

Rodgers should be a huge upgrade, no question.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That doesn’t include rbs or Tes. The ribs are going to get more passes thrown their way

32 is ancient according to some but lets throw big money at 31yo OBJ coming off a serious knee injury. Some of you guys are absolutely clueless. It's a fine signing. People getting worked up over this signing need a life. Cobb will be a 5th type receiver. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

13 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Are you serious? Who was throwing to him?

Garrett Wilson had no issues. Davis has played in 22 of 32 games and is set to make 10 million dollars and is, at best, the 5th best receiver on the roster. He’s easily dumpable. Maybe they can even get a late round pick for him. That would be a dream. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Garrett Wilson had no issues. Davis has played in 22 of 32 games and is set to make 10 million dollars and is, at best, the 5th best receiver on the roster. He’s easily dumpable. Maybe they can even get a late round pick for him. That would be a dream. 

He's not Garrett Wilson. Corey Davis averaged 41 yards a game last season, 55 the year before and 70 the year before with a competent QB. Cobb averaged 32 yards a game with Aaron Rodgers. He's not going to get dumped for Cobb.

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

SMH now we know why JSN was passed on.

Gotta make sure 35 year old “Cobby” is on the roster and on the field.

If Rodgers was buddies with a 40-year old FA EDGE instead of Cobb, we’d have JSN right now instead of the car jumper.

He's 32 and it had nothing to do with the JSN decision. You will complain about anything. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

SMH now we know why JSN was passed on.

Gotta make sure 35 year old “Cobby” is on the roster and on the field.

If Rodgers was buddies with a 40-year old FA EDGE instead of Cobb, we’d have JSN right now instead of the car jumper.

One has nothing to do with the other. They are separate ideals.

• Upvote 2