Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

#1- We won’t have 4 RBs on the opening day roster. Bam or Izzy to PS. Now your touches are divisible by 3. Cook handles majority of snaps games 1-4 as Hall ramps up. 

#2- The Jets are looking to establish the running game early and often. Hopefully with longer, sustainable drives with Rodgers at Qb there will be more touches. Last season Jets ranked 26th in RA… 140 attempts less than #3 Eagles (544). Rodgers is our biggest offensive weapon. Opponents will be less likely to stack the box like last year. So now maybe we are splitting 600 touches among 3 players keeps Hall/Cook happy. 300/200

#3- JD might look to trade a RB for an additional pick in next years draft before the season. Bam or Carter… my guess MC

1. Bam or Izzy will last about 5 minutes on the PS before another team takes them.  No way the Jets are putting Abanikanda on the PS.  NFL teams roster 4 RBs on average on the 53 man roster (which does not include the PS).  

2. No NFL team had close to 600 RB touches last season, and that was the first 17 game season.  I could not even find a team that had 500 RB touches last season.  The Eagles had 544 rushing attempts last season, but 172 were from QBs.  I was generous with 500 touches (rushing attempts plus receptions).  The NFL average is about 450 total touches.  Hall will get 250.  What does that leave for Cook?  100? 150?  When you add the lack of need and opportunity to Cook's age and mileage, it makes no sense for the Jets to sign him .  He's either going to be massively overpaid to be an RB2 or he's going to be incredibly unhappy.  Or both.  Signing Cook makes no sense at all. The current RBs can easily make up the 40% of touches Hall doesn't get.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Let’s play name this offensive juggernaut that any serious GM would pay a million dollars a game to 

IMG_6656.jpeg

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Now here’s a guy I wouldn’t give more than a 4th round pick for and maybe 2 mill per. 

IMG_6657.jpeg

Makes you understand so clearly why OBJ was a must have, combined with say a Teddy Bridgewater.  A WR on the rise and a QB clearly in a decline.  🤪

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You may wish to review the new PS rules.

image.thumb.png.6b879d2d752441f884bf5f979374c09d.png

What about the 600 touches and how signing Cook doesn't make sense?  Just ignore that part.  Even with an absurd 3 RBs on the roster in a position that has the most turnover in the NFL, there are not enough touches to give Cook to justify the money he demands.  Smart NFL teams do not sign expensive and old NFL vets to big contracts only to play a complementary role.  

Cook is already saying no to Miami. He's not coming here to hold Hall's gym bag and to be an injury insurance policy .  

• More Ugh 2

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

What about the 600 touches and how signing Cook doesn't make sense?  Just ignore that part.  Even with an absurd 3 RBs on the roster in a position that has the most turnover in the NFL, there are not enough touches to give Cook to justify the money he demands.  Smart NFL teams do not sign expensive and old NFL vets to big contracts only to play a complementary role.  

Cook is already saying no to Miami. He's not coming here to hold Hall's gym bag and to be an injury insurance policy .  

I addressed this earlier today… so there’s that

#1- We won’t have 4 RBs on the opening day roster. Bam or Izzy to PS. Now your touches are divisible by 3. Cook handles majority of snaps games 1-4 as Hall ramps up.  

#2- The Jets are looking to establish the running game early and often. Hopefully with longer, sustainable drives with Rodgers at Qb there will be more touches. Last season Jets ranked 26th in RA… 140 attempts less than #3 Eagles (544). Rodgers is our biggest offensive weapon. Opponents will be less likely to stack the box like last year. So now maybe we are splitting 600 touches among 3 players keeps Hall/Cook happy. 300/200

#3- JD might look to trade a RB for an additional pick in next years draft before the season. Bam or Carter… my guess MC goes

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

There were a lot of QB's available, for MUCH less is cash and treasure, that would have been lights years better than what we have seen behind center the past few years.  Not a particularly difficult hurdle there.

Look, I like Rodgers I think he'll be very good here - but what JD paid for him was absurd, not because Rodgers isn't good but because he was the only one bidding.  Rodgers isn't the disaster - the deal JD cut was!  

He took on $100mm two year contract and paid a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, swap of early first and more -  and he did this when GB had NO choice but to eventually trade him to the Jets.  From that perspective it was downright awful.

And he did this for one, maybe two years of a soon to be 40 year old QB.

Not supporting that with everything you can just makes zero sense.

Rodgers is still head and shoulders better than everybody else. I don't care if he is 39 and it cost a lot. Hell we got two 1st's for Adams. The offense is going to night and day from the sh*t show we have watched for year. I'm looking forward to it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

And you have no sense of humor regarding the price of the home. No wonder @Jet Nut has issues with you. 

Screw you. You said my daughter lives in a one of the impoverished border towns that is overrun by migrants or is there another place a boarder wall exists. Go have a circle jerk with Jet Nut. You two deserve each other

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Screw you. You said my daughter lives in a one of the impoverished boarder towns that is overrun by migrants or is there another place a boarder wall exists. Go have a circle jerk with Jet Nut. You two deserve each other

Man, you certainly are a “Sensitive Susan” 

You are just as @Jet Nut said. Thin skinned 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The NFL average is about 450 total touches.  Hall will get 250.  What does that leave for Cook?  100? 150?  When you add the lack of need and opportunity to Cook's age and mileage, it makes no sense for the Jets to sign him . 

I hear what you're saying. I think the counter argument would be similar to the D-Line. It's not about the amount of snaps - it's about the quality of each snap. 

Breece/Cook tandem could keep both fresh and potentially healthier into the season. I don't think we should overpay Cook but on a reasonable deal I think it would be a good addition.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the Jets aren't interested and Cook is using them to try and get max money from the Fins. Cook will be a Fin imo.

Be nice for someone else to get that treatment for a change.  We used to be the ones who were interested in a player only to have his price driven up by a team not interested.  

• Upvote 1

The bottom line is this.  Is Cook still considered a play maker?  If that answer is yes, you sign him to a contract with built in incentives that will work for both parties.  Jimmy Johnson, when he was winning SB's in Dallas was asked, "Jimmy, what to you attribute to winning" and his answer was just two words...PLAY MAKERS.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

29 minutes ago, Larz said:

I can’t tell you how many times I proofread any post that has your/you’re in it 😂

I am always attracted to someone using the wrong form of your/you’re, don’t know the difference between then and than, and of course the their/there/they’re.  I don’t ever want to mess these up

But what’s so especially dumb is to do it in a post where you’re calling someone an idiot.  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I am always attracted to someone using the wrong form of your/you’re, don’t know the difference between then and than, and of course the their/there/they’re.  I don’t ever want to mess these up

But what’s so especially dumb is to do it in a post where you’re calling someone an idiot.  

the true sign of advanced literacy:

different "from" vs. different "than".  

some others:  fewer vs less & amount vs number.

• Upvote 1

I really despise the longevity of this thread.  Even though I know full well that there is no breaking news or new rumors, I still open the Dalvin Cook thread.  Probably means that I would be excited if the Jets give him a 1 yr deal.

• Sympathy 1