Jason Brownlee

26 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Who was the wr who couldn’t be covered in camp then couldn’t catch a thing in the games ?   Pretty sure he was here under Herm but not positive 

I know, and I’m getting a little caught up in it. We’ve seen this before where some unknown WR is getting all the attention right before evaporating in the preseason. Brownlee could easily be starting on Thursday. He needs to make a couple plays in live action. 

I’m still encouraged. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Who’s the most successful UDFA WR in team history? (Besides Chrebet obviously)

Terance Mathis deserves a shout even though he was a 6th round pick.  Too bad the organization had him four years and still didn’t see his potential.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I suspect when it comes to WR's it'll be just about 100% Rodgers call.

I wasn't all in on Rodgers, but he isn't Farve. I expected a Farve. Farve isolated himself from everyone and acted like a prima donna. Rodgers seems to be knocking on doors and saying "lets talk". I respect that in a leader.

Likely he will have a big say in this, but is he really watching the second and third string guys? I think preseason game film will come into play for that, and guys will need to stand out. Hope the kid shines.    

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, usapaw said:

I wasn't all in on Rodgers, but he isn't Farve. I expected a Farve. Farve isolated himself from everyone and acted like a prima donna. Rodgers seems to be knocking on doors and saying "lets talk". I respect that in a leader.

Likely he will have a big say in this, but is he really watching the second and third string guys? I think preseason game film will come into play for that, and guys will need to stand out. Hope the kid shines.    

Rodgers is paying attention to all of this.  He knows who he likes.

Making those types of calls is what $35mm buys you.  IMHO, the WR's on the roster will be Rodgers call.  Yes, he'll get feedback from coaches and JD and it'll be a "group decision" but when all's said and done the 5 or 6 WR's on the final 53 will be because Rodgers wants them there.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

I think the Jets have him at roster spot 6 but I think Rodgers is going to ultimately have to lose  Cobb

I’d place Brownlee on the PUP with a mystery injury to protect him for a few weeks and have him ready when Corey gets one of his injuries.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

stuckey

Stuckey was a 7th and had a pretty fair career.  Mangini traded for him, but not in the Sanchez deal, but as part of the Braylon Edwards deal.  He had way more yards receiving than one of the guys all the production over traits guys were in love with back then - Dwayne Jarrett.  A dog of a 2nd rounder for the Panthers. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I’d place Brownlee on the PUP with a mystery injury to protect him for a few weeks and have him ready when Corey gets one of his injuries.

Why not place Davis on the PUP instead since he’s physically unable to play the position of WR?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:
Overview

Perimeter wideout with NFL size, an outstanding catch radius and the potential to outplay his draft slotting. Brownlee will need to prove his speed, but he can make top-flight contested catches down the field and has the spring and length to outreach opponents when the ball is in the air. His contested catch count is entirely too high, but he can be his own worst enemy in that regard thanks to unrefined route running. Brownlee is a competitive worker and has enough flash plays on tape to believe that he might have upside to be cultivated.

Strengths
  • Uses off hand to help bypass press corner in his release.
  • Runs routes with good bend and loose hips.
  • Able to sink and open with suddenness on first two levels.
  • Makes excellent use of large wingspan and big hands.
  • Explosive leaper with catch radius to own the high point.
  • Deep-ball tracker able to look it in over his shoulder.
  • Works back to the football with a ball-winner’s aggression.
Weaknesses
  • Creates too many contested catches for himself.
  • Below average at utilizing leverage in route breaks.
  • Needs better catch focus underneath.
  • Can do a little more as a run blocker.

Projected as a 5th rounder.

His 40 speed probably is what dropped him.  (4.59)

Odd that his below-average straightaway WR speed wasn't listed among his weaknesses. Is that an oversight, or just that for most routes he's running half that or less and his timed 10-20 yard split times are adequate? Also some just seem to play faster (and some slower) than their timed speeds, so maybe he's among the former.

• Upvote 1