Unpopular opinions

Lawson might get Wally Pipped by JJ, but Huff is not an every down player. I like Knight, but -in this particular RB room- it’s Carter who brings something extra in the form of receiving ability. So yeah, they’re unpopular with me. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It appears JJ is the starter 

I don't see it with JJ at all sorry. Every sack he gets seems to be on a break down in the pocket he never runs clean or pushes a guy back to the QB . McDonald and Huff are both better IMHO. Clemons will be spending more time inside this year but he's great against the run on the outside. 

I'm just waiting for 1 play where JJ clearly beats his guy and gets a sack Like Huff seems to do routinely . JJ is like mop up duty at DE

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Lawson might get Wally Pipped by JJ, but Huff is not an every down player. I like Knight, but -in this particular RB room- it’s Carter who brings something extra in the form of receiving ability. So yeah, they’re unpopular with me. 

Carter did look super suspect picking up the blitz.  Was it Simmons?  The guy isn't even big.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Carter did look super suspect picking up the blitz.  Was it Simmons?  The guy isn't even big.

Carter did nothing last year and did nothing in pre season . With Cook and Hall healthy I'm not sure he even touches the football more than 3 or 4 times a game if at all.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

If they cared about pass protection from their RBs, they wouldn’t’ve signed Cook. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

If they cared about pass protection from their RBs, they wouldn’t’ve signed Cook. 

I'll buy that, but when I watched I thought - "I could have done better than that."  I'm in my mid-50s, so usually when I have that thought I think harder and quickly qualify it with "Maybe 20 years ago."  This time I didn't qualify it.

• Haha 4

To be the unpopular like the OP says

Hardman - plays scared and if he does not have 30 yards of daylight he plays slow . Waste of Speed IMO

Jermaine Johnson -- has no bend at all as a pass rusher and I'm still waiting for him to cleanly beat anyone. If you have the one play he did in preseason to prove me wrong vs a third stringer or street player Im really not interested.

Michael Carter-- can't run the football period .... Cant block period ... Is just not going to make anyone pay for tackling him.

Becton -- I think he's insane vs the run hence his RT designation .... but he can not pass block and that seemed evident yet again vs the Giants. Hope he pans out due to his run blocking but he needs to start dictating to speed rushers and stop waiting for them to come to him and maybe he does better.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Made the case why Cooks numbers were bad at Minny and it was because Cousins holds the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL by far. RB's are not pass blockers they are distractions to by 1 second vs guys that have just as much athlticism and outweigh them by 40 pounds.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You are comparing pass rush ability vs every down DE.  I believe McDonald and Huff are both better as DPR, but give me Johnson as an every down DE right now.  Lawson is the same.  Sure it is usually just bullrush and motor, but that keeps you in your lane and helps stop the run.  Meanwhile Lawson and Johnson are both fast enough to cover all the ground this scheme needs.

Good point and yes in this case like I stated before with the weight he lost toneing up I would much rather see him at LB also when it comes to LB I think Barnes will take over a starting role.

Also keep in mind the Jets will not be playing anyone as an every down DE they use a rotation so JJ early downs and Huff/Mcdonald passing downs

6 minutes ago, Claymation said:

It was a blown assignment by the OL. If I remember correctly the LT didn't block anyone and the right side blocked down. 

Maybe, but it doesn't change my point.  I watched it again.  The right side blocked down and let Simmons come clean.  Carter stepped right up to him and bumped him.  Simmons put his hand behind Carter's neck and ran right by.  Strange thing is that Carter stuck with him and ran after him and kept trying to block him as Rodgers scrambled out.   Appreciated the effort, but it he was only worried about Simmons, why not pounce on him while he was on the ground? 

Just one bad rep and not really as bad as I remembered it.  Just frustrating.  I don't know that it was a true blown assignment.  It was a Wink Martindale special.  They had 7 guys between the tackles.  3 dropped and Simmons came around the Jets right.  They had at least a hat on a hat, but the LT really did not block anybody.  If Carter forced Simmons further wide it actually looked like a fairly clean pocket.

42 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Carter did nothing last year and did nothing in pre season . With Cook and Hall healthy I'm not sure he even touches the football more than 3 or 4 times a game if at all.

Again - he had a sprained ankle last yr. and we all know about the ol issues last yr

To say he did nothing this preseason isn't accurate. He only played in 2 games..against Carolina he had 4 carries for 19 yards..Against the Giants he had 4 carries for 1 yard. However, he had a long of 6 yards. So obviously he had at least one carry where yardage was lost.

One aspect of his game that doesn't get talked about is his ability to score from 1 or 2 yards out.  I know people will rip that and say big deal it's just a yard..However, he is very successful at it.

58 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Who is Carl Lawson?

Carl Lawson is the guy our fat bald genius GM brought in

to be our star pass rusher. Cinn. his former team replaced him

with Trey Hendrickson a better player with a better contract.

CL continues his career as hardly ever been available. The next

year Baldie proved his eye for talent against the Bengals again

by signing Uzomah.  CJ responded to  his 3 year 24 mil contract

with 21 receptions, the Bungholes replaces Uzo with Hayden Hurst

who caught 52 balls at a cost of five million

• Upvote 3