This Offense is not ready to hang with the big boys

Barton

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The offense as a whole I think has the potential to be very strong. The WR group beyond Wilson leaves much to be desired. I think we'll add someone significant to that group before the trade deadline unless one of the UDFA's has a huge unexpected breakout which is super unlikely IMO.

ok so what offense is better in the WR department specifally. I cited the best ones off the top of my head and didnt see a huge gap. other than we might have a better QB RB than those teams.

I want specifically who you are thinking, cause I dont get your perspective. Bills, KC, Philly etc all similar offense to us. We are way better than bottom league teams in both confs.

you say we hav emuch to be disired but we have one of best WR1, WR3 and decent enough WR2. We have best Back field in the game arguably, def top 5. Top 5 qb. 

I mean can you name even 5 teams better than us? are that they much better?

I mean KC is better right? But they don't have our def, 

Idk I think we are way better than you are giving us credit for.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

Apart from Allen and Diggs the Bills have not had any weapons offensively. Davis is a mediocre number 2 WR, Knox is a middling TE, Allen has never had a truly good RB behind him.

This year Cook might be the answer at RB and Kincaid might be the answer at TE and Sherfield should be a better number 3 to what we had last year but until they show that I don't see any reason to think the Bills are above the Jets or Dolphins.

I actually see the division winner coming down to whichever offensive line does the best. The Phins, Jets and Bills all have suspect lines so we'll see which one holds up the best

Well then there's what happens when the OLines inevitably falter.

I'm pretty sure Josh Allen gets back up after the sack.

I feel cautiously optimistic that Rodgers will get rid of the ball before he gets hit most times but he can take a few sacks.

Tua, on the other hand... nope.  Not betting on that one.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

ok so what offense is better in the WR department specifally. I cited the best ones off the top of my head and didnt see a huge gap. other than we might have a better QB RB than those teams.

I want specifically who you are thinking, cause I dont get your perspective. Bills, KC, Philly etc all similar offense to us. We are way better than bottom league teams in both confs.

you say we hav emuch to be disired but we have one of best WR1, WR3 and decent enough WR2. We have best Back field in the game arguably, def top 5. Top 5 qb. 

Who's better than us at WR? For starters bengals, dolphins, eagles, bucs, seahawks, raiders, chargers, bills, cowboys, niners, steelers, bears

• En Fuego 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

The NFL champion the last 10+ years usually includes an offense that had to win multiple high scoring shootouts during the regular season to win their division and often another shootout during the postseason to advance to the Super Bowl. Right now this team is built more like the Seahawks or Ravens teams that have won in the last 12 years. Led by the defense and good enough QB play but with a substandard supporting cast on offense. My point? The talent on offense is lacking right now around Rodgers. Garrett Wilson is the only receiver he can count on to get open fairly consistently. JD needs to add more firepower. 

And you know this how? From Rodgers taking around 10 snaps in a single preseason game?  Tough crowd. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think much of this is fair - the Jets offense will be fine...but when discussing the team I'm looking at the ability to win a championship.  Is this a championship caliber offense for today's NFL?  I'm not so sure.

I think it can be - IF, as you stated, Rodgers is a top 5 QB.  If he's more in the 10 range, I think this offense falls short.

I mean even if we take your numbers - "name 5 teams better than us" I think there are 5 no brainers - Philly, KC, Cincy, Bill and SF.....And being the 5th best team doesn't even get you a championship game.  

So I'll ask the question - is a WC round win and out enough for you?  Would you consider that a successful season?  If so, and I guess it's reasonable considering our recent history, then yes, the offense is fine.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

you need to build a program in the NFL 

The Jets just bought Rodgers and let him call all the plays 

It's not the same as building a program 

Jets have handled the Rodgers’ acquisition perfectly. You don’t bring in a 40 year old QB to run your system, you run his system. No one on the team has complained about the change of OCs that I’ve seen. I think they’re all good. Might take a bit for everyone to get on the same page, but Lazard and Cobb should help nicely with that transition period. 

Hackett screwed it up completely with Russell Wilson last year. This year it’s a perfect fit. 

Breece won't look like himself for months 

I don’t always agree with @Joe W. Namath, but I agree completely about Breece and have all along. A clean ACL tear is an eight month recovery with todays surgeries. Breece just turned 22. He’s a world class athlete. It will have been nearly 11 months since the injury when he steps on the field 9/11. He’s 100% right now. The numbers probably won’t show it, because the team will be extremely cautious with him (as with everyone else this offseason) and probably limit his touches, but he’s ready to go right now as far as the knee is concerned. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Garrett Wilson makes our Wr group 'good' if anything happens to him we have the worst Wr group in the whole league.

How many teams, if you took out their best WR, would not be one of the worst wr groups in the whole league.  

Some teams are the worst, prior to any injuries!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Are we the team that rolls down the field in 13 seconds to tie a game?  Maybe not.  

Then we’re screwed.

Because we have 2 teams who can do that in our conference.

One of them is in our division.

• WTF? 1
  • En Fuego 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Chiefs have Mahomes and Andy Reid.  Gabe Davis is better than Lazard

Gabriel Davis was horrendous last year which is a good reason the Bills fell flat on their collective butts.  Diggs (gimme the damn ball) was constantly double teamed which caused a big rift between himself and Allen. Even before the Rodgers deal went down, JD SIGNED Lazard (as per Rodgers request).  Lazard is as key to the WR success as is Garrett Wilson who, God only knows, how good of a season he will have with Rodgers throwing him the ball. Think about it, GW, with Flacco and Zach the Hack Wilson throwing him the ball, and the kid is Rookie of the Year. Astonishing. Then you have Hardman who takes over the Berrios role with more speed and experience.  The TE's, who are vets. And we all know Rodgers loves throwing to TE's. Then you have the 3 headed horsemen Cook and Breece and MC.  And if Rodgers is impressed with Brownlee and Gipson, who are we to say nahhh we have no depth in the WR position.  JD has really upgraded the offense. Its been very costly but its much much better.

Rodgers, Cook, Breece back from inury (went all downhill after he was hurt) , Jeremey Rupert (didn't even play last year), Cook (vet RB with sustained success), 2 rookie WR's who have flashed in Brownlee and Gipson, Hardman (an inspector gadget WR), and Lazard - one of Rodgers favorite go to guys ever. The OL is coming together - Tippman - Beast - Becton is back!, Brown back from injury, AVT was dominant before his injury - is Back!  

I'd prefer to look at the bright side rather than the dim, gloom and doom.  This is going to be special.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

They might have enough but why not add more and increase your odds? Why aren’t the Jets doing more to add MORE elite-ish receiving talent? The cap room is there. 

Well what if they have been trying, but not takers. Nobody wants to make the Jets better. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm pretty sure Josh Allen gets back up after the sack.

I feel cautiously optimistic that Rodgers will get rid of the ball before he gets hit most times but he can take a few sacks.

Allen is a tank. No comparison.

Your cautiously optimistic take is somewhat reasonable. But we're dealing with a near-40-year-old playing a brutal sports with elite athletes in their 30s. I think it is reasonable to think that he doesn't move as fast as he used to and his body cannot take the blows like 10 years ago. Tom Brady playing into his 80s has given us some false hope that other QBs will do the same. 

Breece won't look like himself for months 

How on earth did that get a thumbs down? It is well known that it takes 9-12 months to recover from the initial injury and another year to get back to pre-injury shape, if the player ever even gets back to pre-injury shape. Breece probably won't look totally like himself until 2024 season, if even then. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

How on earth did that get a thumbs down? It is well known that it takes 9-12 months to recover from the initial injury and another year to get back to pre-injury shape, if the player ever even gets back to pre-injury shape. Breece probably won't look totally like himself until 2024 season, if even then. 

He will be himself later this year.  Cook did it 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It’s an unpopular take, but yeah the WR corps outside of GW is not exactly championship caliber.

Cobb is ancient, Lazard is a JAG-type who happens to benefit from chemistry with Rodgers.

Unless they have some contingency plan with a Davante deal, the passing game will live and die with GW’s health and production.

That's true of...almost every good team in the NFL,  because of the cap. One guy is the feature, the others fill things out. Not getting Stallworth/Swan under the cap in 2023. 

And really figure Wilson is gonna get monster catch numbers, the others will fill out the scoresheet. People are wigging out because Wilson going 8/121/1 every week and Lazard/Cobb/Hardiman and TEs and backs get another 200+ yards and 20 collective catches works pretty well. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Facts said:

lol a lot of Jets fans think we’re getting 2014 Rodgers instead of 2023 Rodgers.

Rodgers was consensus MVP in 2020 and 2021. Facts, ya know? You could look it up. Heck, if you want to really tell us FACTS, why don't you take a long look at his career here? Or you could keep running your mouth , like when you told us last season how Zach Wilson was the 2nd coming of...Aaron Rodgers? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00.htm

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

The Raiders easily top  five  Wr Corp  Devante Adams , Jakobi Meyers , and Hunter Renfrow.     All them are excellent route runners. Please play them man to man and they will destroy your cbs .  Raiders added much needed speed Tre Tucker, and Deandre Carter .  They have Josh Jacobs , and Josh Mcdaniels a play caller who puts those rbs in position to have success ( design of the play)  Best blocking Fb in the game - you seen him with patriots Jakob Johnson .     There Tes again are excellent route runners ( m Mayer , Hooper, and J Horsted (       Raiders offense line is excellent with LT k Miller ( top 5 to 7 Lt in game. Lg D Parham c Andre James rg Greg Rotten( jet  reject but eventually see Eluemunor sliding to guard.   Rt J Eluemunor ( eventually T Munford)     I take Rotten over getting rid of Alex Bars.   
Raiders were just outside the top 10 that with them missing Hunter Renfrow and D Waller for most of the season.   And Mack Hollins as their number 2.    
Raiders are going to move the football on any defense.    They have to score in the red zone then settle for field goal.  JIMMY G numbers are way better than D Carr in the red zone.    Both they’re kicker and punter top three.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Barton said:

The NFL champion the last 10+ years usually includes an offense that had to win multiple high scoring shootouts during the regular season to win their division and often another shootout during the postseason to advance to the Super Bowl. Right now this team is built more like the Seahawks or Ravens teams that have won in the last 12 years. Led by the defense and good enough QB play but with a substandard supporting cast on offense. My point? The talent on offense is lacking right now around Rodgers. Garrett Wilson is the only receiver he can count on to get open fairly consistently. JD needs to add more firepower. 

moment describe GIF

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barton said:

This is the first posting that I have seen that has all 7 icons (thumbs down , wtf , sympathy , post of the week , ugh , doh , haha) .

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

because facts that don't agree with blind optimism will downvoted until Sept 11

afterwards the same brutal facts will get upvotes

this is a 9 win team folks get ready for the ride 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

Jets have handled the Rodgers’ acquisition perfectly. You don’t bring in a 40 year old QB to run your system, you run his system. No one on the team has complained about the change of OCs that I’ve seen. I think they’re all good. 

yeah they're all good, now 

a program is bigger than one person 

if AR8 isn't available, retires or whatever, what kind of offense is there? Hackett and his Goldmember jokes? 

they have a year or two max before it all gets blown up that's not a program 

it's a sugar high 

• WTF? 1

58 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What about 2021 Rodgers who had 37 TDs and 4 picks (!)

that would work for me!

Would be great if we get that.

I have my doubts.

Green Bay, who knows him best, inside and out, clearly feel those days are behind him.