Breakout year candidate

Bronx

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/08/26/ny-jets-defense-breakout-candidate/amp/

NY Jets defense has a clear No. 1 breakout candidate

The number one breakout candidate for the New York Jets defense is clearly this rapidly improving young player

.After a solid training camp and preseason, Jermaine Johnson looks like the New York Jets’ 2023 breakout player on defense

The New York Jets have plenty of young defensive players with the potential to make a significant leap this season, such as second-year safety Tony Adams and fourth-year linebacker Jamien Sherwood.

Among all of these intriguing young pieces, edge rusher Jermaine Johnson is the likeliest breakout this season on the defense.

Johnson did not play a ton in his rookie season, only tallying 312 total snaps over 14 games (22.3 per game) as the Jets used him in a limited role. Johnson played 34% of the Jets’ defensive snaps in the games he appeared in, primarily being used against the run on early downs.

Football Sport GIF by New York Jets

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

JJ king of the mop up sack.

I hope he can create pressure off the snap but I just don't see it, like at all. I think he's a good to very good football player and I would much rather see him playing OLB he is way too stiff to be a pass rushing DE. My guess is he will be out there 1st and 2nd Down then the real pass rushers like Huff and McDonald will be out there in passing situations.

My pick for breakout is Tony Adams with 2 good cover corners he should get some good opportunities for Int's

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

With all of the talk of going after Mike Evans, I wondered for a second whether JD could be falling into the "Maccagnan Trap" of bringing on a lot of stars at the end of their careers to "go for it", only to destroy the team for years afterward after the one-year bump while those players had a little left in the tank.

Then I remembered that JD rebuilt the team with a core of young talent first, getting the team in striking distance and setting up longer term success, before going all-in on expensive vets who potentially only have one good year left in the tank.  If Cook is only productive for this year, Breece will still be around to anchor RB.  If Evans does come aboard and peters out after 2023, Garrett will still be here to be the #1 WR.  And JJ and McDonald can hopefully take over for Lawson and JFM if they're no longer here and/or viable in 2024.  Fingers crossed for Zach to mature enough to take over for Rodgers.

• Upvote 2

JoeD/Saleh have definitely invested in our Dline...something we all suspected when Saleh was hired.

This is Huff's pay-year, as he's an FA after the season. If given the chance (snaps) Huff could be 'that guy' who shines. In his limited roll he leads the NFL in pressures/Sacks per snap. Something like 20%+, which is #1 in the league. Granted, he's not used a ton, but that could change this year.

I mean our D line has received the most attention, from Lawson coming in from the Bengals, to Huff, then Michael 'the bat' Clemons, to Jermain Johnson, now Will McD. Plus other FA like Solomon, Quinten this last cycle, and probably 6 more I can't think of off the top of my head. Plus re-signing Q.

We're gonna force teams into a ton of slants, screens, quick throws, etc. I really hope the rest of our D has a great 'short passing defense', although I seem to remember this is exactly what we struggled with. Our LBers seem slow, staring with CJ. If Sauce and Reed can play M2M, that will free up both safties to stack the box against runs and all the short passing stuff that's coming. I have a feeling the other teams' TEs will be a huge headache for us this season. 

I got sidetracked...sorry!

• Upvote 3

Nothing against JJ, nor any of the other names mentioned, but I will say part of the great intrigue of the NFL is so often those who break out each year can be totally unforeseen.  Plenty of guys with all of the potential in the world never put it together, while others who barely even got a crack in the NFL can be lighting it up.

Most recently for the Jets, while folks spent years slobbering over what finally would be for someone like Mims, it was MC2 who was last year's biggest (non-rookie) breakout for them.  Even after a solid rookie year, with some ups and downs he was hardly a public favorite, with both Hall and Echols often lauded over him at the position.  Then last year while obviously not at the level of Sauce nor Reed, he still played a very important part of the CB trio that was the backbone of this D and is perhaps JD's best pick (from a value perspective).

There's a lot of veterans currently set as the foundation of the team this year, so it will undoubtedly be very interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork and perhaps even takes a starting job.  As long as that's due to the success of the younger guys, and not the failures of the vets, it's always good to see.  Given the history of the Jets, I will admit you have to be rooting a little harder for at least one breakout to be on offense this time around, as other than perhaps RB the positions could all use to start getting younger.

15 hours ago, jgb said:

My breakout candidate is Garrett Wilson. I think he's a transcendent talent held back by garbagio QB play. He's the next stud WR to take the league by storm.

He already broke out though and is already widely regarded as an excellent WR and one of the best players on the team - he won OROY last year

I think the OP is looking for someone less further along 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

He already broke out though and is already widely regarded as an excellent WR and one of the best players on the team - he won OROY last year

I think the OP is looking for someone less further along 

Not even close to what he can do. If he had a league-average QB he would’ve has a Chase-like rookie year. “A breakout” is a massive improvement over established baseline. Get ready.

• Upvote 2

On 9/2/2023 at 3:18 AM, Bronx said:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/08/26/ny-jets-defense-breakout-candidate/amp/

NY Jets defense has a clear No. 1 breakout candidate

The number one breakout candidate for the New York Jets defense is clearly this rapidly improving young player

.After a solid training camp and preseason, Jermaine Johnson looks like the New York Jets’ 2023 breakout player on defense

The New York Jets have plenty of young defensive players with the potential to make a significant leap this season, such as second-year safety Tony Adams and fourth-year linebacker Jamien Sherwood.

Among all of these intriguing young pieces, edge rusher Jermaine Johnson is the likeliest breakout this season on the defense.

Johnson did not play a ton in his rookie season, only tallying 312 total snaps over 14 games (22.3 per game) as the Jets used him in a limited role. Johnson played 34% of the Jets’ defensive snaps in the games he appeared in, primarily being used against the run on early downs.

Football Sport GIF by New York Jets

@Facts

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

Breakout Candidate? GW got 1k receiving with the likes of Mike White, Zach Wilson, and Joe Flacco trying to throw to him. What's he gonna do with Aaron Rodgers?

If there is no sophomore jink on GW or Sauce, those guys make everybody on the field around them better. I don't like to assume or take anything on as a given, but I don't see them as players who just caught everybody by surprise last season, they really are that good. If our LBers and O-line can step it up this year, we will win the division. Like I've already said, the 1998 Jets won 12 games out of 16, I expect no less than the 2023 Jets winning at least 12 games. 

For those that think I'm wearing rose colored glasses, think about what last season would have been like if Aaron Rodgers was our QB. And yeah, I get it, Zach and the Jets beat AR and Green Bay in Green Bay, but in spite of that, I stand behind my optimism.