Woody Johnson: Merged

Alka

1 minute ago, Alka said:

He praises every draft pick, gets on the phone with them on draft day, and acts like an excited teenager.  He buys a "Woody" chain to put around his neck, and thinks he is funny.  He is full of praise in public, and rarely shows the public anything other than positivity and happiness.  When the team implodes, he is missing in action.  He didn't build his wealth, he was born into it.

When he does put his mark on the team, he overrides his GM by insisting on bringing Aaron Rodgers, even when he is getting advice to do otherwise.

Woody hires his previous head coach based upon the recommendation of Peyton Manning, who he doesn't even really know.  He hires past Gm's and head coaches and fires them well beyond the time that he should be firing them.  I never see him take accountability for his poor decision making of the past, and just exudes a "just so happy to be the owner of the Jets" attitude.

On the other hand, I admired Leon Hess.  He built up his own wealth, through his intellect and guts to make the tough decisions.  He put his money where his mouth is, and told Parcells that I will give you whatever you need to succeed, and Parcels had great admiration and respect for.  Hess publicly talked about the team "not playing like a bunch of horses asses".  Yes, the Jets didn't have the success that we all hoped for under the ownership of Hess, but I always felt that Hess was a man of substance and wouldn't take sh*t from anyone.

First it was Tim Tebow, then Aaron Rodgers.  Next up: 

Monkey Gorilla GIF by FirstAndMonday - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Post of the Week 1

Thats my prediction Saleh is fired or resigns and Hackett is promoted to HC because it's what Rogers says goes he has not only screwed us out of a OT at 13 but we lost valuable 2nd round pick and on top of it bought his washed up buddy's and has been OC so he could wind down and party with them in NYC. You can't make this stuff up . Woody is a clown and make this team a laughing stock with his stupid schemes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

3 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

Thats my prediction Saleh is fired or resigns and Hackett is promoted to HC because it's what Rogers says goes he has not only screwed us out of a OT at 13 but we lost valuable 2nd round pick and on top of it bought his washed up buddy's and has been OC so he could wind down and party with them in NYC. You can't make this stuff up . Woody is a clown and make this team a laughing stock with his stupid schemes. 

I don't see how Woody doesn't demand some return on all the money he paid for AR8.  That probably means Hackett is back.

• Upvote 1

Sheesh give it a break guys. It was a calculated chance when we brought Rodgers in.  And its still in play.  Rodgers will be back next year.  The defense is actually getting better and will get better. next year. Its a very young group and they have been pretty dominant.  We are a few players and a good QB away from being a legit contender.  Rodgers changes the complexion of this team.  The defense will not be exhausted by the half because WE WILL SCORE POINTS and be in every game.  The Rams traded for Stafford and it worked.  Our window is still open for another 2 years.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Sheesh give it a break guys. It was a calculated chance when we brought Rodgers in.  And its still in play.  Rodgers will be back next year.  The defense is actually getting better and will get better. next year. Its a very young group and they have been pretty dominant.  We are a few players and a good QB away from being a legit contender.  Rodgers changes the complexion of this team.  The defense will not be exhausted by the half because WE WILL SCORE POINTS and be in every game.  The Rams traded for Stafford and it worked.  Our window is still open for another 2 years.  

Just don't see it.  We have no OL. Rodgers was declining anyway. It was an idiotic move in every way. if we could have signed Rodgers as a free agent with no strings, sure give it a shot but made numerous franchise crippling moves to get him, and it will never work out. We had a good core and closed the window on this team ourselves. I am a super optimistic fan, but I predicted 5-12 before the season started even with Rodgers.  We will likely be the worst team in the NFL in 2025 because JD and Saleh will double down even more next year.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Who’s says Rogers will be the QB he once was with the injury, plus in his 40’s. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, RJIII said:

The ROOT of the problem (and it has been) is Woody. This family has zero business owning an NFL franchise. They know jack sh*t about football, clearly don't care, force the sell of this franchise. 

Hess would go to games, but rarely went to practices and wasn’t in on draft day. Woody is at EVERY practice and meddles with Christopher all weekend long on draft day.

This is why no intelligent football person will take a job as hc here. We’re stuck with morons like Saleh, gase, Bowles because they’re oblivious to why it’s wrong. Among another billion things they’re oblivious to. That’s why Belichick and parcells left.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, RJIII said:

The ROOT of the problem (and it has been) is Woody. This family has zero business owning an NFL franchise. They know jack sh*t about football, clearly don't care, force the sell of this franchise. 

Ultimately Woody is the real problem. He is the shadow GM and VP of football operations and is a guy who couldn’t manage his way out of a wet paper bag.  

Look up clueless rich kid in the dictionary and Woody’s picture is there

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BP said:

Hess would go to games, but rarely went to practices and wasn’t in on draft day. Woody is at EVERY practice and meddles with Christopher all weekend long on draft day.

This is why no intelligent football person will take a job as hc here. We’re stuck with morons like Saleh, gase, Bowles because they’re oblivious to why it’s wrong. Among another billion things they’re oblivious to. That’s why Belichick and parcells left.

Woody is becoming worse than Dolan

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Woody is becoming worse than Dolan

And they raised ticket prices early in the season… because they knew what would probably be coming. Which is really amazing to me that people still continue to dish out more and more money just to get angry and frustrated on Sundays from September-January 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, BP said:

And they raised ticket prices early in the season… because they knew what would probably be coming. Which is really amazing to me that people still continue to dish out more and more money just to get angry and frustrated on Sundays from September-January 

The Knicks have made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years and are playing good ball now.  The rangers have had good teams that have made playoff runs

Dolan isn’t better than Woody he’s way better

8 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Just don't see it.  We have no OL. Rodgers was declining anyway. It was an idiotic move in every way. if we could have signed Rodgers as a free agent with no strings, sure give it a shot but made numerous franchise crippling moves to get him, and it will never work out. We had a good core and closed the window on this team ourselves. I am a super optimistic fan, but I predicted 5-12 before the season started even with Rodgers.  We will likely be the worst team in the NFL in 2025 because JD and Saleh will double down even more next year.

Woody is in a REAL bind right now.  If we end up going 6-11, he might want to hold someone accountable with a firing.  However, I'm sure he'll also want to see some return on his investment for AR8.  But will AR8 return if Saleh and Hackett (and maybe JD) aren't here?

Plus what if we totally sh-t the bed and go 4-13 (I don't expect us to lose out but who knows) and we're in position to draft one of the top QBs?  We don't have a 2nd rounder this year so are we going to draft a QB in the 1st and then nothing to help AR8 until the 3rd round?! 

How is AR8 going to react to something like that?  If he threatens to retire (or not play for the Jets) then Woody is going to look like a complete fool (more than usual) if we made such a big deal about AR8 (with no favors from the NFL hyping us up with Hard Knocks, 5 prime time games, opening week of MNF, inaugural Black Friday game), and then only get 4 plays from him (and 0 completed passes).  That would be an entirely new chapter in Jets futility.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Woody is in a REAL bind right now.  If we end up going 6-11, he might want to hold someone accountable with a firing.  However, I'm sure he'll also want to see some return on his investment for AR8.  But will AR8 return if Saleh and Hackett (and maybe JD) aren't here?

Plus what if we totally sh-t the bed and go 4-13 (I don't expect us to lose out but who knows) and we're in position to draft one of the top QBs?  We don't have a 2nd rounder this year so are we going to draft a QB in the 1st and then nothing to help AR8 until the 3rd round?! 

How is AR8 going to react to something like that?  If he threatens to retire (or not play for the Jets) then Woody is going to look like a complete fool (more than usual) if we made such a big deal about AR8 (with no favors from the NFL hyping us up with Hard Knocks, 5 prime time games, opening week of MNF), and then only get 4 plays from him (and 0 completed passes).  That would be an entirely new chapter in Jets futility.

It’s looking like Saleh is falling on the sword for Woody.  Him talking about nothing but his defense in every press conference is the tell he’s telling the 31 other teams he’s available to be their DC 

Not sure who Woody hires to be head coach.  Promoting Hackett would look asinine even he knows that.  Maybe Randall Cobb? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Window?  lol 

• Haha 1

I don't know if dumb is the answer but shortsighted for financial gain, yes.

- Fully believe he forced the trade pre-draft that lost us the LT just so he could be in the lime light for the draft and get the primetime games with the schedule release 2 weeks later.

- He was too cheap to pay the insurance for Rodgers contract, likely causing the season ticket holders to pay up in November instead of Febuary.

- Fully believe we didn't start spending more money to get a QB because he didn't want to upset Rodgers.

- I think the while push for Rodgers recently was all about season tickets and game ticket sales. No coincidence Rodgers was set to come back for the final home game.

Douglas and Saleh were likely guaranteed their jobs, probably the right move given the circumstances but I think Douglas held his draft capital rather than trade for a QB as well because of that decision.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

All this hate and anger should really be directed towards Joe Douglas, not Woody. Joe Douglas built this team. Joe Douglas drafted Zach Wilson. Joe Douglas is stubborn and couldn't admit he drafted a bust. 

Woody never sprang for a real coach. Always projects.