Tank for Alt?

Wit

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Possibly.  But I remember when Andy Reid was fired (or not renewed or whatever) from the Eagles and IIRC, he wasn't necessarily that hot of a commodity.  Then he goes to KC and does great.  Admittedly, he has a guy who might end up in the GOAT convo as his QB.  But he's still in the hunt for the all-time wins record (he could surpass BB once BB surpasses Shula) and he's only had Mahomes for a few years.

Worst case for Tomlin though, I think he would at least make sure that things would be run professionally (he comes from one of best organizations in sports) and we badly need that.

I wanted to Andy Reid, but he never would have come here. Anyone who didn't want Andy Reid as our coach was and is a fool. Andy Reid will go down as a top 10 maybe even top 5 coach of all time and probably the second greatest offensive coach ever.

Tomlin is not in that category at all, and it's unfair to compare. For Tomlin to be successful, he will need the right OC in that position for awhile, who will hire good successors.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

QB would be the pick by any organization that knows what they're doing.  You take a QB when you don't have one.  And you keep doing it until you find one.

Especially in a year where they'll be no pressure for him to play behind Rodgers.

oh so ur counting on the old guy huh

13 hours ago, Wit said:

I think getting a solid left tackle and maybe resigning becton as a right tackle would go a long way in protecting Achilles Rodgers next year. Washington needs to beat us next week. They are going to lose their other games agaist the cowboys and niners.

But do we leap them in draft position if we lose to them and end up with same 5-12 record ?

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

It was a horrible year for QB.... This year is hands down better for a QB, however we won't be in any position to draft a guy like Maye, because we beat the Texan's and will probably win one more game before the season is done.

That said, we should draft a LT, and at least 2 more OL in 2024. If there is one defensive player chosen in the 2024 draft and JD is GM, we all need to call for him to be fired.

Any season where there are 3 guys that go in the top 5 is a good QB year.  Levis was also thought to be a late first round pick.

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Any season where there are 3 guys that go in the top 5 is a good QB year.  Levis was also thought to be a late first round pick.

Just because they do, doesn't mean they will be, just look at the year which Zach was taken. I believe the 2024 draft will prove to have more QB's from the first round become starters and stick, then the crop from last year. 

14 hours ago, Wit said:

I think getting a solid left tackle and maybe resigning becton as a right tackle would go a long way in protecting Achilles Rodgers next year. Washington needs to beat us next week. They are going to lose their other games agaist the cowboys and niners.

Maybe but at this point is becton even worth anything as a right tackle.  He was supposed to be pretty agile and quick in spite of his size but the rushers just seem to go around him at will.  I think they’ll have to find a left tackle in free agency and then fill the rt spot with a rookie, maybe not alt.  They could trade back a few spots, get their rt and then use a mid rounder on a guard.

9 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Just because they do, doesn't mean they will be, just look at the year which Zach was taken. I believe the 2024 draft will prove to have more QB's from the first round become starters and stick, then the crop from last year. 

This was my point exactly. It was thought to be a good QB year.  The fact that 3 went in the top 5 proves that. The results is all but Stroud weren't all that good. The same hype was around Stroud, Young, and Richardson and to a lesser extent Levis. 

It’s a great year to need offensive linemen in the draft. It’s not a good year to need one via free agency. The problem is the Jets really need 3 new starters and 3 new backups, and it’s very rare for a team to overhaul a unit so dramatically and be successful. Compile that with other needs at WR and spending limitations and it starts to really look bleak. 

Landing Alt or Fashanu would be great, but it’s very much a “pick your flavor” type of OL class. There are plenty of talented prospects behind Alt and Fashanu who can conceivably go in the top 10-15 picks that would help improve the unit. We’re going to see guys like Taliese Fuaga and Kinglsey Suamataia and Tyler Guyton among others rise up boards in addition to guys like Amarius Mims and JC Latham, who are expected to go in the top 30. Bigger question I have is how do you go about filling the other spots. You can’t conceivably trade for a top LT and I do wonder how Rodgers would feel about having a rookie protecting his blindside. Do you sign a veteran LT and use the rookie on the right side? If so, the guy I’m going to champion all offseason is Taliese Fuaga. If you’re not getting caught up in the LT vs. RT debate and plan on using the rookie on the right, I want the guy who can be a true enforcer in the run game who has upside in as a pass protector. Penei Sewell is in a league of his own, but Fuaga gives me those vibes and I can see him having that kind of impact on an OL. You plug him in on the right side and build your run game around him. And while Alt and Fashanu likely have more upside as pass protectors, I don’t think they would have the same day 1 impact Fuaga could have on the line. 

Beyond them there should be guys who fall into day 2 that at the very least can be starters/high upside reserves in the short term. I understand not wanting a line full of rookies in an “all-in” year, but the Jets need to build this line for now and the future. So whether your trading down to acquire a 2nd or whatever, just come away from the draft with 3 new OL and at least one of whom can start day 1. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

It’s a great year to need offensive linemen in the draft. It’s not a good year to need one via free agency. The problem is the Jets really need 3 new starters and 3 new backups, and it’s very rare for a team to overhaul a unit so dramatically and be successful. Compile that with other needs at WR and spending limitations and it starts to really look bleak. 

Landing Alt or Fashanu would be great, but it’s very much a “pick your flavor” type of OL class. There are plenty of talented prospects behind Alt and Fashanu who can conceivably go in the top 10-15 picks that would help improve the unit. We’re going to see guys like Taliese Fuaga and Kinglsey Suamataia and Tyler Guyton among others rise up boards in addition to guys like Amarius Mims and JC Latham, who are expected to go in the top 30. Bigger question I have is how do you go about filling the other spots. You can’t conceivably trade for a top LT and I do wonder how Rodgers would feel about having a rookie protecting his blindside. Do you sign a veteran LT and use the rookie on the right side? If so, the guy I’m going to champion all offseason is Taliese Fuaga. If you’re not getting caught up in the LT vs. RT debate and plan on using the rookie on the right, I want the guy who can be a true enforcer in the run game who has upside in as a pass protector. Penei Sewell is in a league of his own, but Fuaga gives me those vibes and I can see him having that kind of impact on an OL. You plug him in on the right side and build your run game around him. And while Alt and Fashanu likely have more upside as pass protectors, I don’t think they would have the same day 1 impact Fuaga could have on the line. 

Beyond them there should be guys who fall into day 2 that at the very least can be starters/high upside reserves in the short term. I understand not wanting a line full of rookies in an “all-in” year, but the Jets need to build this line for now and the future. So whether you’re trading down to acquire a 2nd or whatever, just come away from the draft with 3 new OL and at least one of whom can start day 1. 

FA is all about who you want to overpay for and they’ll try hard to get someone functional on the line.  They’re taking a tackle in round 1 depending on where the pick.  If they’re in the top 5 it seems they’re guaranteed a LT but if they are 6-7 they still may get one.  Hard to see them risking trading back and losing out on their preferred tackle, but they do need more picks. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

FA is all about who you want to overpay for and they’ll try hard to get someone functional on the line.  They’re taking a tackle in round 1 depending on where the pick.  If they’re in the top 5 it seems they’re guaranteed a LT but if they are 6-7 they still may get one.  Hard to see them risking trading back and losing out on their preferred tackle, but they do need more picks. 

That’s what I think too. Personally I would trade down but I can absolutely see them being trigger shy. 

As far as FAs, the only guy who makes sense to me is Jonah Williams, and I don’t know how I’d feel about that. On the plus side he has been available for the past 3 seasons and is certainly an upgrade over what we have, but we’d be overpaying for an average starting tackle. Tyron Smith and David Bakhtiari just can’t stay healthy. 

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

That’s what I think too. Personally I would trade down but I can absolutely see them being trigger shy. 

As far as FAs, the only guy who makes sense to me is Jonah Williams, and I don’t know how I’d feel about that. On the plus side he has been available for the past 3 seasons and is certainly an upgrade over what we have, but we’d be overpaying for an average starting tackle. Tyron Smith and David Bakhtiari just can’t stay healthy. 

With a new OL coach they may figure with AVT and a draft pick, and one decent FA signing, the OL will be ok next year if it’s not decimated with injuries. 

As far as trading back, my hunch now is that if they can get one of the two top LTs they’re taking one.  If they’re in the 6-9 range and they lose out on both of them, then maybe i can see a team trading up for a qb or wr and the jets can slide back and get a day 2 pick and take a Fuaga or something. 

14 hours ago, THE BARON said:

If JD still has Becton on the roster next season, it is sure sign that he has not gotten his fat head out of his fat ass.  It would be the harbinger of another complete disaster for 2024. 

If JD is the GM still come the day after black Monday then we are f*cked

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Either Alt or Fashanu are fine. We don't need to be picky. Both are great prospects. I think Fashanu may get draft first. But either way, we will likely be in position to draft one.

Not so fast. We might be able to get him. I want to trade back and grab QB Daniel’s but the OL is just pathetic. A blue chip LT seems mandatory to step in. Becton is just to unreliable and has not been very good. If we fall back to 5 or 6 we should get either Alt or Fashanu. But we could very well beat Pats and Wash. Zach is a schizo QB. One week he sucks another he’s decent. With 2 wins, we would fall way back in the draft. They need to put Zach in IR so he doesn’t see the field again in 2023. They are not beating the Browns but the Pats and Wash are toss ups if Zach plays. 

39 minutes ago, football guy said:

Beyond them there should be guys who fall into day 2 that at the very least can be starters/high upside reserves in the short term. I understand not wanting a line full of rookies in an “all-in” year, but the Jets need to build this line for now and the future. So whether your trading down to acquire a 2nd or whatever, just come away from the draft with 3 new OL and at least one of whom can start day 1. 

I like that. We can trade back, get an extra valuable piece. We need a 2nd rounder we traded to GB. We have tons of needs. A run stuffing DT, a WR, a QB prospect, a safety, a guard. 

1) Becton sucks and it seems clear to me both he and the org want to move on from each other. He won't be a Jet.

2) Our first round pick will almost certainly be an OT. We will almost certainly be picking top 5 whether we are trying to win or not. Alt may or may not be there, but we'll take one of the top OTs available, zero doubt.

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

1) Becton sucks and it seems clear to me both he and the org want to move on from each other. He won't be a Jet.

2) Our first round pick will almost certainly be an OT. We will almost certainly be picking top 5 whether we are trying to win or not. Alt may or may not be there, but we'll take one of the top OTs available, zero doubt.

I'm not so sure I share your optimism about finishing with a top 5 pick.  Games against the Commanders and Patriots are winnable and flukier things have happened to the Jets in meaningless late season games.

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With a new OL coach they may figure with AVT and a draft pick, and one decent FA signing, the OL will be ok next year if it’s not decimated with injuries. 

As far as trading back, my hunch now is that if they can get one of the two top LTs they’re taking one.  If they’re in the 6-9 range and they lose out on both of them, then maybe i can see a team trading up for a qb or wr and the jets can slide back and get a day 2 pick and take a Fuaga or something. 

I would agree with you that's what the Jets will do. Me personally? I'd move down a few spots if there is a trade partner there, take Fuaga, slot him at RT and keep drafting OL in day 2-3. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I'm not so sure I share your optimism about finishing with a top 5 pick.  Games against the Commanders and Patriots are winnable and flukier things have happened to the Jets in meaningless late season games.

There's always an off chance the team plays well. Any given Sunday. But the Commanders and Patriots both have formidable defensive fronts that will dominates our OL. Zach is calling in sick, so it's Trevor Siemien behind that OL.

I'd say there's like a 25% chance we beat the Commanders and like a 5% chance we beat the Patriots.

34 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If we beat the Commanders, I agree. If we lose out (which would be my best guess) I think there's a very real chance he's there for us.

28 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There's always an off chance the team plays well. Any given Sunday. But the Commanders and Patriots both have formidable defensive fronts that will dominates our OL. Zach is calling in sick, so it's Trevor Siemien behind that OL.

I'd say there's like a 25% chance we beat the Commanders and like a 5% chance we beat the Patriots.

Washington's defense has been brutal, though. 

I'm very worried that we will beat the Commanders and really mess up our draft position 

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Washington's defense has been brutal, though. 

I'm very worried that we will beat the Commanders and really mess up our draft position 

I started to write a response about how they're not that bad but then looked up some numbers and they're pretty terrible. I'd still argue that our offense is a pretty good get right game for any defense and with Siemien and our OL against their DL I still see us losing the vast majority of the time.

Howell is kind of a "f*ck it, chuck it" QB though, so if we win it'll probably be similar to their loss to the Giants where the Commies had 6 turnovers. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

We have Rodgers. He is the QB. Do you think Zach will be the QB? Are you nuts? There is no way he is on the team anymore. Zach had is one good game. He was benched for a 4th time in 3 seasons. He is gone. They should just release him now. 

You're deeply confused.

As has been mentioned in another thread, the players are not the problem, it’s the coaching. Becton, AVT, Tomlinson all first rounders, Tippman high second. Have we learned nothing? All of these players are Pro Bowl players or close to it. Tippman can be. How do they look this year? Get a new OL coach and watch what happens. We need a QB to be ready after our 40 year old QB retires. We won’t pick this high next year and we won’t have the most important position ready to go when Arod retires. It’s what Green Bay did with Rodgers - but we aren’t that smart. Free agency and a 3rd rounder for OLine and WR2 in FA as well.