Two Things that Will Not Happen this Offseason

Warfish

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. The Jets will absolutely not draft a QB with their top pick in the NFL draft.

2. The Jets will absolutely not trade down in the first round of the NFL draft.

Why?

Simple:  Aaron Rodgers.  He is here (as he's now saying) for "more than one season" starting in 2024.  His cap hit is massive in any "move on from Rodgers" scenario.  And JS and Saleh will be managing for their careers in 2024.  There is no flexibility to be cute, or play "I'm smarter than the league" games. 

1. QB is out because (like MacDonald last year) it serves no purpose whatsoever in the short term (1-2 years) which is all that JD, Saleh and Rodgers care about for 2024/2025.  It doesn't matter that fans will demand it, doesn't matter if a guy falls (the top guys won't, but still), it only matters what serves the interests of the current leadership in 2024 and maybe 2025.  So "QB of the future" is 100% out of the picture.  No point fantasizing friends, sorry.

Also, as a note, Zach's big signature win also plays a role here, as it blew the Jets draft position.  There is almost no chance we will pick in the top 4 picks, and by pick 5, three of the top QB prospects will all be gone.  Picking ~5-10 or worse, you'd be reaching (as things stand now).  Lose vs. the Texans, and who knows, but now?  We're on the outside looking in at the current top three QB's.

2. So no trade downs either?  Nope.  JD has no more wiggle room for being cute.  He must do two things, and be SEEN to be doing two things:  Drafting the best possible Offensive Tackle possible, and not missing on one for some lesser prospect by trading down and missing out on the better guys.  He no longer gets (from anyone) the "benefit of the doubt" if he trades down, and gets the fifth OT instead of the 1st or 2nd prospect.  Yes, a trade down would potentially be quite a smart move (if often is), but beyond the simply challenge of finding a trade partner, agreeing to mutually beneficial trade terms, etc. you have to have the luxury and flexibility of security to allow you to play those games with a look to the longer term best interests.  Again, JD no longer has that, he is in a box, and must pick the best OT available at the best pick he has available.  This O-line is that bad.  Aaron Rodgers is everything for JD (and Saleh) and he simply will not be behind a line that looks like this years.

Some fans will poo poo this and say "naaa, we just need everyone healthy", i.e. the same poop we've now heard for years.  Sorry, nope.  We're not a health check away from a great O-line.  We have two guys who might be ok (AVT, Tippmann) and that's about it.  The rest is what they've shown us, mostly poop, starting with soon to be gone Becton.  JD needs several O-linemen this draft and FA, not just one.  But it starts with an elite OT prospect, regardless of if Rodgers "wants" to play with a rookie or not. Rodgers isn't dumb, he knows what his alternative is.  So trade downs are out.

Disagree?  

Great, tell us why JD can both trade down AND pick a QB in round 1, lol.  You know, or one or the other.  

P.S. We Jets Fans might want to start scouting 6th/7th round and UDFA QB prospects, because that's more likely what we're gonna get, and then only IF JD moves on from Zach Wilson, a far-from-certain-thing no matter how much we all may want it.

I don’t believe they’ll draft a qb in round one.  But I also don’t think trading down is out of the question.  Why? The odds that even a top tackle is ready out of the box is still slim.  And they have a couple holes to fill besides tackle.  They need a guard and another tackle.  And they really should think hard about drafting a qb.  So if they trade back a few spots and pick up a mid third or fourth rounder then that might be enough to fill most of the holes.  Of course how this plays out depends on how they deal with free agency.  Becton looms large.  He has not played well of late and they will need to be careful about the contract they offer.  As for qb, I think Zach has improved his trade value and also his value to the teams future.  I doubt if they exercise his fifth year option, at least as long as Rodgers is around, but maybe they offer him something more like a back up contract or one with incentives.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Agree on 1, but not 2. 

Trading down completely depends on 1. which pick they have and 2. how they grade out the top OL prospects. If someone really wants a Jayden Daniels and is willing to swap picks to do it, Douglas may pull the trigger.  

This is obviously not a "best player available" draft. It's a need draft and bodies on the OL is what they desperately need. 

The tradeback is very fluid and depends on a few things:  1) where they’re picking, 2) can they get a top 2 LT, 3) did they make other trades before the draft to get more picks on day 2.  This will collectively determine if they trade back or not

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t believe they’ll draft a qb in round one.  But I also don’t think trading down is out of the question.  Why? The odds that even a top tackle is ready out of the box is still slim.  And they have a couple holes to fill besides tackle.  They need a guard and another tackle.  And they really should think hard about drafting a qb.  So if they trade back a few spots and pick up a mid third or fourth rounder then that might be enough to fill most of the holes.  Of course how this plays out depends on how they deal with free agency. 

This right here. I don’t think Rodgers considers any rookie (regardless of where they’re selected) as the best option for win-now mode. 

I expect Rodgers to force the front office to be ultra aggressive in free agency and trades with the draft being more of a supplement to the win-now mode.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t believe they’ll draft a qb in round one.  But I also don’t think trading down is out of the question.  Why? The odds that even a top tackle is ready out of the box is still slim.  And they have a couple holes to fill besides tackle.  They need a guard and another tackle.  And they really should think hard about drafting a qb.  So if they trade back a few spots and pick up a mid third or fourth rounder then that might be enough to fill most of the holes.  Of course how this plays out depends on how they deal with free agency.  Becton looms large.  He has not played well of late and they will need to be careful about the contract they offer.  As for qb, I think Zach has improved his trade value and also his value to the teams future.  I doubt if they exercise his fifth year option, at least as long as Rodgers is around, but maybe they offer him something more like a back up contract or one with incentives.

Most of what you say makes logical sense.

JD still can't and won't to it.  He'll have to 'reach' a little on the best OT at whatever spot we're in (and to be clear, where we look like we'll end up there will be an OT who isn't much of a reach at that spot IMO).

He cannot be seen passing on a top OT.  He simply can't, not the way his hand-crafted O-line has played the last few years.  If he does, and his "look how smart I am, I got a extra 5th!" move doesn't work out perfectly, he's done as a GM in this league (and so is Rodgers if he's getting pounded game in and game out).

One place I will disagree is Becton.  There will be no contract offered to Becton, he's gone.  A huge bust of a player, there is no argument to bring him back just to hope he stays healthy, or hope he doesn't suck like he did Sunday.  He likely doesn't want to be back either, despite his liking Rodgers.  You cannot put ANY faith in Becton at this point except as maybe a deep backup, and even then, again, watch his play Sunday.  It was atrocious.

Yes, FA is huge, if JD is his lack of wisdom thinks he can backfill the line with a few more Green Bay castoffs and Rodgers friends and family plan, that might change things, but by god how stupid would that be?  He'd be sealing his own fate as a bust GM if he does that.  It's Cook/Cobb all over again, but worse.  

The other place I'll disagree is Zach's trade value.  For one, I seriously think JD will consider (strongly consider) bringing him back for year 4 as the #3.  If he doesn't, Zach's value is minimal, no one is giving premium picks for what Zach has shown this league, a 5th or 6th perhaps, but nothing of real value.

• Upvote 2

So I agree for the most part but I do think we get a QB in the draft.  Not rd 1 but a prospect that can sit a couple years and develop.  When have the jets ever done that?

I also think it depends on what will be available in FA regarding the Oline.  Becton returns if there is no viable replacement.. so we roll with AVT, Tippy, Becton..then draft and/or FA depending on what’s available.

1 is a no-brainer - completely agree.

2 depends on where they pick, but you are most likely correct. The one scenario I see where we could trade down is if we are picking top 5 and Jayden Daniels is still on the board. This would probably require us to lose out, which I think is unlikely. 

• Upvote 1

Part of thing 2 seems to assume the Jets will be picking in a spot that Alt/Fashanu is available and that’s firmly a question. It’s likely that at least OT3 and OT4 off the board (Latham and Mims) are more home run swings than safe picks.

Given the team is in win now mode in this scenario one could certainly argue they’d be better off dropping a little, picking up a more experienced prospect with a higher floor but a lower ceiling, and adding picks in the process.

Specifically thinking about Troy Fautanu from Washington who’s short (6’4) but has long arms and good feet. He likely goes later than his tape indicates because he’s vertically challenged, but the arm length and feet are more important than the height for a tackle prospect. Think he’s a safer bet to be a useful day one tackle and he probably stays there, worst case is he’s a high end guard but unlike AVT think he actually projects to stay at tackle - and he likely goes in the 20’s.

Douglas being Douglas we can almost certainly expect Mims, who was top 5 on Dane Brugler’s preseason big board because he’s super talented, but has only played RT in college, in about 10 games total, and has missed much of this year due to injury. 

14 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Yeah, pretty much. Don't really care about trading down. There should still be an elite offensive prospect when we pick and should be the pick. They need blue chip guys.

Feel like there are signs they’re going to play their way out of blue chipper range. Remaining schedule is pillow soft. The random play over their heads wins this season (Houston, Philadelphia, Buffalo) and that crazy comeback against the Giants are going to cost a bad team that desperately needs offensive help a chance at a really nice prospect.

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

1 is a no-brainer - completely agree.

2 depends on where they pick, but you are most likely correct. The one scenario I see where we could trade down is if we are picking top 5 and Jayden Daniels is still on the board. This would probably require us to lose out, which I think is unlikely. 

If the jets beat washington and wind up in the 6-9 range and the top 2 tackles are gone, Daniels could be sitting there and the jets may be in a position to trade back.  Also, there could be a gap between the top 2 tackles and the next tier so that may also be a motivation for moving back.  

Yeah, maybe a trade down, depending upon where they pick and who's on the board, but they probably have to take an OT unless they land 2, not just 1, quality OT in free agency.

No matter what JD does, it's going to take a minor miracle for the Jets to field a quality OL in 2024. The unit really bottomed out this year. JD tried to build one, but drafting mistakes and the failure to develop any good young ones has resulted in the current disaster. They at least need JT to quickly develop at C, AVT to come back and stay healthy (and back to LG), and then get two new quality OT to start.  

Year after year, many of us here point to the OL as an ongoing problem, and here we are again.

9 minutes ago, derp said:

Feel like there are signs they’re going to play their way out of blue chipper range. Remaining schedule is pillow soft. The random play over their heads wins this season (Houston, Philadelphia, Buffalo) and that crazy comeback against the Giants are going to cost a bad team that desperately needs offensive help a chance at a really nice prospect.

Now that I look at it. Jets have the easiest remaining out of teams like the Giants, Commanders and Cardinals. You're right, they'll def play their way down to like the 15th spot.

I also think a trade down would be silly.  I think if you're in the top-9 or top-10 you're guaranteed an elite prospect that fills a need.  Be it one of the 3 QBs, Marvin Harrison Jr, Fashanu, Alt, Nabers, Bowers.  I know that's 8 guys, but chances are a defensive player will find his way into that group.  But yeah, ideally we drop no lower than 8th in the draft order, and there's no way in hell I trade down.  Guys like Odunze and Coleman have big upside but they don't have the massive floor that MHJr and Nabers have.  No LT comes close to the level of Fashanu and Alt.  The RTs are nice but I really have no desire to blow this pick on a RT that could be easily addressed through FA, or by bringing Becton back and moving him over.  

The only way I could see them trading down is if they really, really like one of Penix, McCarthy, or Nix.  All in all though I agree, I don't think QB was really in play with our 1st rounder a day ago, and I think it's even less likely now with Rodgers saying he wants another 2 years.  I think they could delay that pick til next year and still let that kid develop for a season behind AR.  

But yeah, we need another elite talent in this draft.  I'm not ******* that up just so we can add another "good" player in the 2nd.  IMO a franchise, "never have to worry about this position for the next decade" LT(Alt) or a guy that's a lock to give us one of the best WR duos in the league(Nabers) is worth more to me than a high-end RT(Fuaga) and a solid WR prospect(Ladd McConkey or Xavier Worthy or whoever else we'd be able to get in the 2nd).  

The interesting thing to me will be what they do at WR.  I think that Rodgers sold them on being able to move the ball with Cobb and Lazard.  Obviously we can't but it certainly would be better with Lazard.   Davis walked, but the wild card to me is Hardman.  What did they expect out of him?  He always seemed an odd, but I assumed Rodgers and Hackett felt there was something to work with.  Even to the extent they keep Cobb and Lazard they have to replace Hardman and Davis.  How are they going to go about that?  Cobb and Lazard falling on their faces should make it a pretty fair priority.  

I think the offensive line woes are a bit overblown.  I think the main issue has been continuity.  Yeah, Becton has been getting beaten like a drum by speed rushers, but otherwise it mostly seems to be lack of communication.  Rookie C and a ton of changes will do that.  Trouble is we won't have much continuity next year.  At least 1 new starting T, probably two.  Maybe sign McGovern back and move Tippman back to G?  I don't love that, but are we keeping Tomlinson there?  I guess.  I just hope they set it up early and let them play.  Mitchell took an obvious step back.  That did not surprise me.  Not sure if he can be a swing tackle or if he is practice squad now.  Also not sure what to make of Warren.

It's true. Why would anyone want to take a QB in the top 10 in an extremely good QB draft when you can wait until next year to get one in the 14-18 range of a draft that isn't? QBs grow on trees. You can find one anywhere, as we know from the Jets history of success with that position.

Jets.

Finding ways to make historically bad mistakes every offseason.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Now that I look at it. Jets have the easiest remaining out of teams like the Giants, Commanders and Cardinals. You're right, they'll def play their way down to like the 15th spot.

I think if they win two and get no help the floor is likely 14. Would expect 11 or 12 is firmly on the table unless they only win one.

53 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Things the Jets will get this offseason:

1. New uniforms (probably the 80s throwbacks from week 1)
  2. Grass at MetLife
  3. David Bakhtiari
  4. A new OL coach
  5. Deserved scorn for giving Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh a mulligan
  6. Davante Adams
  7. Joe Alt
  8. Karmic warfare from @Sperm Edwards once CJ Mosley's contract is restructured for another season

Things the Jets will not get this offseason:

1. Jayden Daniels (and it will haunt them forever)
  2. A new GM, HC, or OC
  3. Super Bowl hype
  4. Renewed or continued pacts with Mekhi Becton, Laken Tomlinson, CJ Uzomah, Duane Brown, or Carl Lawson

Doubt the permanent uniform switch happens. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

1. The Jets will absolutely not draft a QB with their top pick in the NFL draft.

2. The Jets will absolutely not trade down in the first round of the NFL draft.

Why?

Simple:  Aaron Rodgers.  He is here (as he's now saying) for "more than one season" starting in 2024.  His cap hit is massive in any "move on from Rodgers" scenario.  And JS and Saleh will be managing for their careers in 2024.  There is no flexibility to be cute, or play "I'm smarter than the league" games. 

1. QB is out because (like MacDonald last year) it serves no purpose whatsoever in the short term (1-2 years) which is all that JD, Saleh and Rodgers care about for 2024/2025.  It doesn't matter that fans will demand it, doesn't matter if a guy falls (the top guys won't, but still), it only matters what serves the interests of the current leadership in 2024 and maybe 2025.  So "QB of the future" is 100% out of the picture.  No point fantasizing friends, sorry.

Also, as a note, Zach's big signature win also plays a role here, as it blew the Jets draft position.  There is almost no chance we will pick in the top 4 picks, and by pick 5, three of the top QB prospects will all be gone.  Picking ~5-10 or worse, you'd be reaching (as things stand now).  Lose vs. the Texans, and who knows, but now?  We're on the outside looking in at the current top three QB's.

2. So no trade downs either?  Nope.  JD has no more wiggle room for being cute.  He must do two things, and be SEEN to be doing two things:  Drafting the best possible Offensive Tackle possible, and not missing on one for some lesser prospect by trading down and missing out on the better guys.  He no longer gets (from anyone) the "benefit of the doubt" if he trades down, and gets the fifth OT instead of the 1st or 2nd prospect.  Yes, a trade down would potentially be quite a smart move (if often is), but beyond the simply challenge of finding a trade partner, agreeing to mutually beneficial trade terms, etc. you have to have the luxury and flexibility of security to allow you to play those games with a look to the longer term best interests.  Again, JD no longer has that, he is in a box, and must pick the best OT available at the best pick he has available.  This O-line is that bad.  Aaron Rodgers is everything for JD (and Saleh) and he simply will not be behind a line that looks like this years.

Some fans will poo poo this and say "naaa, we just need everyone healthy", i.e. the same poop we've now heard for years.  Sorry, nope.  We're not a health check away from a great O-line.  We have two guys who might be ok (AVT, Tippmann) and that's about it.  The rest is what they've shown us, mostly poop, starting with soon to be gone Becton.  JD needs several O-linemen this draft and FA, not just one.  But it starts with an elite OT prospect, regardless of if Rodgers "wants" to play with a rookie or not. Rodgers isn't dumb, he knows what his alternative is.  So trade downs are out.

Disagree?  

Great, tell us why JD can both trade down AND pick a QB in round 1, lol.  You know, or one or the other.  

P.S. We Jets Fans might want to start scouting 6th/7th round and UDFA QB prospects, because that's more likely what we're gonna get, and then only IF JD moves on from Zach Wilson, a far-from-certain-thing no matter how much we all may want it.

I agree JD will not draft a QB.  However, if the Jets have a top pick inwhich a team is willing to trade up in order to draft a QB, JD will trade the pick to accumulate more picks to make up for the 2nd round pick the Jets traded for Rodgers.

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Things the Jets will get this offseason:

1. New uniforms (probably the 80s throwbacks from week 1)
  2. Grass at MetLife
  3. David Bakhtiari
  4. A new OL coach
  5. Deserved scorn for giving Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh a mulligan
  6. Davante Adams
  7. Joe Alt
  8. Karmic warfare from @Sperm Edwards once CJ Mosley's contract is restructured for another season

Things the Jets will not get this offseason:

1. Jayden Daniels (and it will haunt them forever)
  2. A new GM, HC, or OC
  3. Super Bowl hype
  4. Renewed or continued pacts with Mekhi Becton, Laken Tomlinson, CJ Uzomah, Duane Brown, or Carl Lawson

We won’t get #’s 2,3,6 and 7.

New turf is out of the question unless both the Jets and Giants want it. I don’t think they do.

We’re not giving up the draft capital for Adams, nor are we going to take a chance on a broken down Bakhtiari. Alt will be gone before we pick.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the jets beat washington and wind up in the 6-9 range and the top 2 tackles are gone, Daniels could be sitting there and the jets may be in a position to trade back.  Also, there could be a gap between the top 2 tackles and the next tier so that may also be a motivation for moving back.  

Daniels won't be there at their pick unless they finish top 5. 

#1 absolutely agree.

#2, Id wait to see their final draft spot before speaking in absolutes. Picking 4 or 5, I think no question they have to stand pat and take the best OL left on the board (Fashanu or Alt, assuming Williams, Maye, and Harrison are top 5 picks, likely gone in the top 4). 

If they pick 6-10, if someone wants to move up to grab Daniels, or an edge rusher, and you can move down a spot or two and still grab a Latham, Fuaga, Mims, etc, whoever they have as their top OL on the board? You have to listen at that point. If I can recoup a second rounder and still get one of the best available OL on my board with Fashanu and Alt gone, I'd do it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

several trades occur which net the Jets addtional picks in round 3/4 which they eventually use to package up to round 2 on draft night

JD is certainly suspect on who he drafts and free agents but his strength is getting the picks via trades. 

Also i could see them not trading back in round 1 if they are in a position to take a tackle they really want but then using a pick in the 2025 draft to move up, esp. if they use it to take a qb.  

• Upvote 1

I agree on both points.

The Jets should draft a future franchise QB if they are in position to do so.  But they won't because they are in too deep on Rodgers.  For better or worse, they are heading into 2024 with a 40 year old QB coming off a major Achilles injury and an entire missed season.  And there will be no clear successor in place.

The Jets could certainly benefit from multiple blue chip prospects added to the roster, but Joe Douglas does not have a history of trading down in the first round.  He would absolutely need to be blown away by an offer, and I just don't see that happening.

30 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I agree JD will not draft a QB.  However, if the Jets have a top pick inwhich a team is willing to trade up in order to draft a QB, JD will trade the pick to accumulate more picks to make up for the 2nd round pick the Jets traded for Rodgers.

I maintain that if he does that, and then misses out on a top OT, it's a fatal move for him here in NY.

Also, given where we're likely to pick (as of now), there won't be a top QB.  The top 3 will likely be gone before we pick. 

No one is likely trading up to get Bo Nix, J.J. McCarthy, Shedeur Sanders or Michael Penix Jr. as high as we're picking.  These guys are 2nd tier prospects.

Whereas an OT in the top 3 (the currently considered blue chip guys) is almost assuredly going to be there when we pick. 

But not if we trade down much, if at all. 

The drop-off to OT #4 (Taliese Fuaga? Amarius Mims? Kingsley Suamataia?) is more like late 1st/early 2nd round (again, as of now).

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I maintain that if he does that, and then misses out on a top OT, it's a fatal move for him here in NY.

Also, given where we're likely to pick (as of now), there won't be a top QB.  The top 3 will likely be gone before we pick. 

No one is likely trading up to get Bo Nix, J.J. McCarthy, Shedeur Sanders or Michael Penix Jr. as high as we're picking.  These guys are 2nd tier prospects.

Whereas an OT in the top 3 (the currently considered blue chip guys) is almost assuredly going to be there when we pick. 

But not if we trade down much, if at all. 

The drop-off to OT #4 (Taliese Fuaga? Amarius Mims? Kingsley Suamataia?) is more like late 1st/early 2nd round (again, as of now).

first off jj and penix are going round 1. Thats 100% Youve been playing too much early pfn mock draft simulator

The "top 3" qbs are debatable. qb #4 might be the best who knows

Fuaga might be the best OT in this draft. again, you never know. opinions differ and the draft is a regulated crap shoot in that who knows how qbs 1234 will turn out but its a safe bet they will all be better than qb12