Saleh: "If he attacks the offseason in the way Jermaine attacked his offseason, Will McDonald is gonna be a superstar in this league"

slimjasi

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's got 8 sacks in his 2nd season, with a few games still left to play, and might've been 9 if Donovan Smith wasn't allowed to grab & pull on him for a couple seconds in front of the zebra's face. 

Huff has 8 sacks, JJ has 6.5. That's what I see, anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just as well, considering it ceased to be a 100% win now team a minute into game 1.

Never mind any receiver drafted would've probably seemed like a bust with Wilson (and Boyle and Siemian) at QB with 240 yards and 0-1 TDs as a rookie. 

Are we a win now team starting snap one of next year?   Yes

Are we still devoid of Wr talent other than one player heading into a win now year?  Yes.

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yea, I don't think he was saying anything about JJ other than he worked hard this past offseason. 

He simply said that if McDonald works as hard as JJ did, he'll be a star. 

He said more about him than this quote too.  I'm paraphrasing but he basically said he has a special skill set that not many people have and can do things that not many can do.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Are we still devoid of Wr talent other than one player heading into a win now year?  Yes.

And we are also devoid of talent at OL other than Joe Tippmann (and the oft-injured AVT)

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He implied it in his comparison. With that said, I asked if he thought that. Question, not a statement.

He has 6.5 sacks this year, not 8.

Good for 37th in the NFL.

lol. 

It says something that an UDFA in Huff is better than both our #1 picks combined. So far.

I don't think that was implied at all. I didn't read it that way & neither did most others.

I took it as JJII put in a ton of work and made a major stride forward in y2. That if McDonald does the same, since he is more uniquely talented than JJII, McDonald should be a superstar. He has more bends than a dozen 19th century caisson workers.

Also yes I thought he had 8 sacks. All the stats websites are obviously displaying the same misprint. 

• Upvote 2

JD and Saleh made a bet that they will let Lawson and Huff go and ride with JJ2 and McD4 for 24-25.  It is not a bad idea, and maybe the money saved on Lawson and Huff helps them sign OL.  So this is Saleh's way of motivating McD4 to make sure he does not make him look worse than he already looks.  

My biggest gripe over the recent moves is the first round draft pick flip.  This is a much different team with Broderick Jones.  GB basically screwed the Jets without getting much in return.  They could have picked that guy where they originally were.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ah, but McDonald will be a superstar next year. Can't you read? In the meantime the Jets will simply get a better WR this year. ;) 

Kidding aside, you're playing with only the half of hindsight that is most convenient:

On draft day the QB was Rodgers and they had 5 WRs on the roster, 3 of which were pretty locked in as starters. A Rodgers injury after 4 plays wasn't the only thing they didn't expect. They also didn't expect Corey Davis to retire in ****ing August, and on Rodgers's recommendation the GM who signed him based upon that wouldn't figure Lazard to be as useful as a square tire. So on draft day, a rookie WR would've been expected to be 4th on the depth chart, wedged between the just-signed Lazard and just-acquired Hardman/Cobb. That was the team makeup when they passed on WRs in round 1. Either a WR or an edge rusher would've been seen as a pick for the future not for the present.

After the total collapse from 4 of the WRs they had on the roster on draft day, it's easier to say what would've been needed for 2023. In practice, what they needed was a starter-worthy QB to make it through the season, for their WR2 to not retire, the WR3 to not forget how to catch, the WR4 to not forget how to play football altogether, and for Cobb to be able to run a 40 in under a minute. Or even for one or two of those things, rather than all of them, to not happen.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ah, but McDonald will be a superstar next year. Can't you read? In the meantime the Jets will simply get a better WR this year. ;) 

Kidding aside, you're playing with only the half of hindsight that is most convenient:

On draft day the QB was Rodgers and they had 5 WRs on the roster, 3 of which were pretty locked in as starters. A Rodgers injury after 4 plays wasn't the only thing they didn't expect. They also didn't expect Corey Davis to retire in ****ing August, and on Rodgers's recommendation the GM who signed him based upon that wouldn't figure Lazard to be as useful as a square tire. So on draft day, a rookie WR would've been expected to be 4th on the depth chart, wedged between the just-signed Lazard and just-acquired Hardman/Cobb. That was the team makeup when they passed on WRs in round 1. Either a WR or an edge rusher would've been seen as a pick for the future not for the present.

After the total collapse from 4 of the WRs they had on the roster on draft day, it's easier to say what would've been needed for 2023. In practice, what they needed was a starter-worthy QB to make it through the season, for their WR2 to not retire, the WR3 to not forget how to catch, the WR4 to not forget how to play football altogether, and for Cobb to be able to run a 40 in under a minute. Or even for one or two of those things, rather than all of them, to not happen.

This has been my point all along re Rodgers, he shaped every single aspect of this team and has made it much much worse.  We did not need a wr because we had to go out and get a guy in cobb who was done 3 years ago and Lazard who is monstrous jag.

The truth will come out in the future but I think the corey davis sudden retirement is tied to our bloated wr room of jags and likely douglas trying to get him to take a pay cut.

And here we are in desperate need of a wr a year after being loaded with jags due to rodgers.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This has been my point all along re Rodgers, he shaped every single aspect of this team and has made it much much worse.  We did not need a wr because we had to go out and get a guy in cobb who was done 3 years ago and Lazard who is monstrous jag.

The truth will come out in the future but I think the corey davis sudden retient is tied to our bloated wr room of jags and likely douglas trying to get him to take a pay cut.

And here we are in desperate need of a wr a year after being loaded with jags due to rodgers.

That is a different take than the Jets, after having acquired Rodgers, were a win-now team and therefore needed to draft a WR. 

There is no evidence whatsoever that Davis retired for anything other than personal reasons, not over a contract they didn't cut or a WR room with a bunch of additions of WRs worse than he is. Though fans and some online writers wondered about it, there was no leak I recall that the team even reached out to another WR, and further had just passed on drafting any WRs. The idea that he was worried about his job security - in August, ffs - is nonsensical. 

He was the WR2 on the team and had just inherited a HOF QB upgrade from Zach Wilson. He left for personal reasons, whatever those were, and if it was otherwise there's no reason to keep it private.  Players who want to shoot their way off the team get that stuff leaked so other teams make trade offers.

So again, on draft day they had Rodgers and 5 WRs, two of whom at the behest of Rodgers. The only relative holes were on the OL, since both Brown & Becton had legitimate question marks, and at MLB because Mosley is at best mediocre and that was a pay cut request that had some real legs/leaks (to the point I think Mosley even responded to it publicly, clearly calling JD's bluff seeing how Douglas didn't add another (starter-worthy or higher pick) ILB to the roster, actually net lost one from '22, and waited until well after the draft to make this failed attempt). 

52 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He said more about him than this quote too.  I'm paraphrasing but he basically said he has a special skill set that not many people have and can do things that not many can do.

I mean, McDonald is a freakish athlete in a way that JJ simply isn't. May never pan out, but the upside is certainly there.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think that was implied at all. I didn't read it that way & neither did most others.

So as usual most of you are wrong?

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also yes I thought he had 8 sacks. All the stats websites are obviously displaying the same misprint. 

Odd. Pro Football Reference. Com maybe I’m misreading.

• Haha 1

I'd respect the "CEO head coach" (16-32) infinitely more if he changed his t-shirt design from "PVO only" to "POS only" and for once, cut the "Commanders" and "Crows" BS and talked straight to the guys in the locker room:

"Hey, so yeah, we're gonna wear these every f--ing day and own that we f--ing suck until actually win something and can show the world that we don't f--ing suck any more."

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Another JD pick......  plays like a 3rd rounder at best. Under sized. We needed offensive line.

Your insulting 3rd round picks everywhere by comparing them to McDuck. 😂
Can you imagine the jokes that would be made here if the Fish, Bills or Pats 1st round pick couldn’t get on the field? 
Do you think we’d be talking about his “bending” or car leaping ability? We’d be dying laughing at the absolute bust they drafted.
Best case scenario this kid is going to be a 25yo project next year, rotated in only because of his draft status. Nothing more.

JSN was the pick once Belichek screwed us out of the OL.

Me, @Beerfish and @Maynard13 nailed this from day one.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1