Becton needs to go.

johnnyjet

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Something is off here. For him to not push people around in the run game is odd, this tells me he is not healthy.

I believe earlier in the year he had a knee issue. Seems like since then he has been really bad. 

Its not health its effort, he simply does not love football enough to give 100% when hes out there.  Last night was an absolute disgusting display of effort and heart and while we cant bench him next sunday, after that game he should never be allowed in the building again.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

From my vantage point in front of a large screen tv he could have been flagged for a false start on every pass play.   Cant compete at this level.   Should not be on the field. 

He’s so overmatched athletically by speed rushers he’s trying to beat them to the outside early, but that makes him vulnerable to inside moves.  I hope they don’t make the same mistake in the draft and take some big slow footed tackle.  

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

From my vantage point in front of a large screen tv he could have been flagged for a false start on every pass play.   Cant compete at this level.   Should not be on the field. 

All tackles do that but they don't call it often though. Look at that whole Chiefs RT debacle earlier in the season when he was lining up  further back from the LOS. 

Anyway, Becton is definitely gone. Unlike most smooth brains here, I know the injuries weren't his fault. He got rolled up on in the Panthers game and the subsequent surgery was not the correct choice, which led to him being unable to workout effectively and eventually the 2nd injruy. 

I was cautiously optimistic for him this year, but call it rust after not playing for 2 years (along with sh*t coaching, he's not the only one getting these offensive penalties) he didn't perform.

That was not the same Becton we saw 3 years ago shut down the same Myles Garrett. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I almost felt like the Jets did not give Becton any help with Garrett so that they could put on tape evidence of his lack of leverage in both pass blocking and contract negotiations. I know it is not a popular view, and it is not something I want to see happen, but I've got a feeling that Becton will be the Jets starting RT next season.

• Ugh 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He’s so overmatched athletically by speed rushers he’s trying to beat them to the outside early, but that makes him vulnerable to inside moves.  I hope they don’t make the same mistake in the draft and take some big slow footed tackle.  

He showed pre knee injury to have trouble with speed rushers.

Now, I just don't think he's really healthy.   Maybe he could move inside with another team, but he really isn't a left tackle anymore.

• Upvote 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

If we can sign Becton for like 10 million for another year,  I'd be ok keeping him. He can at least be a backup and that is what we paid Fant and Brown who both played worse. 

he's mailing it in when he's going to be a free agent.   give him money and you're getting worse effort

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Sacks

penalties

bad blocking.  

this guy is horrific. Get him off the team. Now. He is a ******* embarrassment.  I never want him on the field again. He’s garbage 

Add to that a horrible personality that cares only abut one thing.

Mekhi-Becton-NY-Jets-Contract-Stats-Film.webp

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Who really is going to sign Becton to a contract to be a starting Left or Right tackle? Maybe he should be a Guard instead. He cannot pass block at all even before any injury.
When anyone watches the tape... what can they even think? Would love to be a fly on the wall in that offensive line room

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Barton said:

Something is off here. For him to not push people around in the run game is odd, this tells me he is not healthy.

I believe earlier in the year he had a knee issue. Seems like since then he has been really bad. 

You might be right. Either way, he has to go. He is either not able to play in the NFL because of injury issues, or he simply sucks. 

Tippmann is probably the only offensive lineman I’d like to see back from the current crop. AVT can stick if he’s healthy. But honestly they need to cut Tomlinson, let Brown retire, and let Becton walk. Hell Edoga has been better for the Cowboys than Becton has been for the Jets. Going to need to invest multiple picks and FAs into the line. And I don’t think it’s a very good year for FAs. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

How many games will AVT play before being out for the season?

good question.  some have suggested his move to T was the cause of his injuries.  being 5' 9" i never played the position, but a T does use different muscles in different ways vs. a G.

then again, there have been many OL guys that have shifted positions and not gotten injured.

also been wondering if Becton can play on the inside.  there have been tall/long T's that shifted inside and worked out well.  Becton no longer has the lateral agility/speed to be effective at LT, but perhaps he can goon it up on the inside real good.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

he's mailing it in when he's going to be a free agent.   give him money and you're getting worse effort

He will get a contract from someone. There are worse T in this league. He remained healthy which is what I really wanted to see. If he can get better at pass blocking, he would be worth the investment but I would bring in competition.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Tippmann is probably the only offensive lineman I’d like to see back from the current crop. AVT can stick if he’s healthy. But honestly they need to cut Tomlinson, let Brown retire, and let Becton walk. Hell Edoga has been better for the Cowboys than Becton has been for the Jets. Going to need to invest multiple picks and FAs into the line. And I don’t think it’s a very good year for FAs. 

Hanson and Schweitzer are good for depth on the interior and cost small money.  Keep them

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If we can sign Becton for like 10 million for another year,  I'd be ok keeping him. He can at least be a backup and that is what we paid Fant and Brown who both played worse. 

No thanks.  Could you imagine his motivation level (and motivation to keep his weight in check!) if he thought he was going to be a backup?!

Becton is a backup level player. He's not particularly talented and he's an injury risk. He clearly grew up being good at tackle because he was bigger than everybody else. Now that he's played both sides, he's a little more valuable as a backup player. 

I wouldn't be mad if Douglas re-signs him as a backup, on backup pay, because the OL needs depth options. I also would have zero cares if he leaves. He probably thinks he can land a starting contract somewhere. Ok, well, he can be some other QB's problem. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think Ben Ijalana got $9mm and never played-several years ago before inflation.  

Becton could be the best choice from a bad lot at the right price, with hopefully better coaching next year, another year of off season training and AR* up his rear end.  

But I think Becton does anything he can to play for another team and get a fresh start.  

a good amount of fans HATED this pick when it was made-Wirfs was the no brainer pick but NO NO Joe had to go with a fat , lazy , stupid guy instead

Every time I look at our "franchise tackle" I think of the players we passed on and many of these guys were suggested picks not monday morning qbing.

wirfs, cedee lamb, justin jefferson, Aiyuk, Higgins, Pittman J Taylor and you can throw in Hurts and Swift as well

this draft should have been the end of the Joe Douglass era-Becton followed up by Mims (I know Mimsy fan boys) he just needs a chance any day now he is going to explode on to the scene

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No thanks.  Could you imagine his motivation level (and motivation to keep his weight in check!) if he thought he was going to be a backup?!

That isn't  what I said. You bring in competition. If he wins, he starts, if not, he's a backup. Either way, he will play. Someone is always hurt on the OL

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I almost felt like the Jets did not give Becton any help with Garrett so that they could put on tape evidence of his lack of leverage in both pass blocking and contract negotiations. I know it is not a popular view, and it is not something I want to see happen, but I've got a feeling that Becton will be the Jets starting RT next season.

I think people are purely focusing on the fact that Becton sucks and looking at it through the Jets lens.

By contrast, I think it's very clear Becton wants out of here and will not re-sign with the Jets even if they want him.