Which of these veteran LTs would you choose?

bonkertons

Assuming we miss out on Alt and Fashanu.  Those are the only two guys who could step right from the draft to day-one starters.  

If you're not sure if you'll be able to draft one, you'll have to sign one during the FA period.  As far as I can tell, these will most likely be the options:

David Bakhtiari, 32 - GB (will likely be cut after this most recent season ending injury)

Tyron Smith, 33 - DAL

Jonah Williams, 26 - CIN

Trent Brown, 30 - NE

Mike Onwenu, 26 - NE (has been better at RT, but he can at least play LT and has some upside there)

These would be the main contenders.  No one will trade a starting LT, so it'll have to be one of these guys.  Williams is an interesting one.  He was a LT but got bounced to the right side after Cincy signed Orlando Brown.  Onwenu I would assume will be re-signed by New England, but if he isn't it'll probably be because he prices himself out.  I'd be hesitant to pay a guy like him $15M over 4 years or whatever it ends up being.  

I think the play would be to go for one of the 1 year guys, either Bakhtiari or Smith.  Worst case they buy you a season and you can look to draft your long-term player in 2025(or not, if Warren takes some big strides).  Best case, you sign one and STILL are able to draft Alt or Fashanu.  Having a guy like that on a one year deal shouldn't prevent you from drafting either of these kids.  Worst case you have a $10M depth tackle for one year, much like Brown was this year - only this new OT will actually be able to play at a decent level.

My gut says it'll be Bakhtiari.  He's ARod's boy, and I'd imagine he'll come pretty cheaply to reunite with his BFF.  That cheap contract should allow us to do some things elsewhere, be it sign or trade for an expensive WR as well as pay Huff.  Maybe address DT2 as well.  He's a bigger health risk than Becton and AVT combined, so you'll absolutely need to build up your depth accordingly, but it wouldn't be the worst move in the world - at least if the plan is to bring in a one year stopgap.  

Just now, Beerfish said:

Tyron Smith,

I will guarantee that Bakhtiari will be an unmitigated disaster and will play like 3  games after being given a 3 year contract by Douglas.

Let's add more Aaron Rodgers buddy disasters.

Do you actually believe he'll get a 3 year deal or are we meme-ing?

If they dont get Alt or Fashanau, they are in deep doo doo.  No idea who they pick if they are both gone. JD would be best to trade back and get a 2nd rounder. They could go with Fuaga at RT or Mims at LT and sign another FA to start and cross their fingers there.  Bakhtari is a huge risk. JD just cant solely rely on him. No way he gets through a 17 game season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think they’re going to put avt at a tackle spot b/c they’re not going to sign anyone great in FA and they’re not keeping becton for obvious reasons. Assuming they miss out on the 2 top LT prospects, it’s easier to pencil avt in at tackle, draft another tackle and then find a guard.  That said, if the jets are picking 6th, they really do have a legit chance at a top 2 LT.  Maybe 7th.  8 or higher and they really shouldn’t expect it and need to use avt at tackle. 

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Bakhtiari - most likely who we are getting but even more injury prone than Becton 

Tyron Smith - basically done

Jonah - trash

Brown - guy I want

Onwenu - nice option if we can’t get brown 

This. The first 3 should not be seriously discussed. It would be like eating 3 chilidogs and getting back on the tilta-whirl 10 minutes after you just yacked up the first 3 chilidogs you ate while riding the tilta-whirl.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bonkertons said:

David Bakhtiari, 32 - GB (will likely be cut after this most recent season ending injury)

Tyron Smith, 33 - DAL

Jonah Williams, 26 - CIN

Trent Brown, 30 - NE

Mike Onwenu, 26 - NE (has been better at RT, but he can at least play LT and has some upside there)

If you can get Bakhtiari on a huge incentive deal + one of Trent Brown or Onwenu + draft OT I think that’s a realistic and decent plan.

33 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

LT will be address when we pick btwn 6-8 in the draft.

I think they need to go heavy into the O line and spend a pick on a red zone target WR and another RB - because we traded Carter and Cook is gone. Now, we have an impending disaster if there is an injury at RB. I think the draft should look like this.

Picture1.png.86bf7ae7c65d912fe871b671ce027ff9.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think they need to go heavy into the O line and spend a pick on a red zone target WR and another RB - because we traded Carter and Cook is gone. Now, we have an impending disaster if there is an injury at RB. I think the draft should look like this.

Picture1.png.86bf7ae7c65d912fe871b671ce027ff9.png

Looks good.  They are still going to add 2 big time oline free agents and higgins or pottman.

Backhtieri is the only suitable candidate in that list as he’s really the only guy who plays the scheme.  Trent Brown and Onwenu would be mediocre in that system (Onwenu is really an elite gap guard more than a tackle but he’s played everything other than LT).  But will they really roll the dice on a 32 yr old guy coming off an injury?  

Smith has a ton of mileage (probably only has 2 ok but not elite years left).