Circumstances warrant a Saleh/JD Return

JetsFanatic

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

All of this is wrong.

A smart franchise does this:

Saleh and Hackett are fired immediately. A call is placed to Rodgers letting him know this is an organizational decision and he can decide if he wants to stay or go after the new coach is hired. If he walks, you deal with the cap repercussions with your new staff. And by new staff, I mean a proven winner like Harbaugh is given a blank check and the keys to the franchise.

What about Douglas?

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

In the current NFL is almost unheard of to bring back a HC for a fourth season after three double digit lost seasons in his first 3 years.  However that is about to happen with the New York Jets.  While I'm not going to make a case that Saleh is a good HC and deserves to be brought back I can make a case for the thought process that results with his return.

The Jets in 2023 went all in and traded for Aaron Rodgers. In addition a change was made in the coaching staff that replaced OC Mike Lefluer with Nate Hackett, an Aaron Rodgers guy.  Unfortunately 4 plays into the 2023 season the plan got derailed with a season ending injury resulting in the Jets not only not contending for a championship but once again bottoming out with a double digit loss season.

The dilemma now is do the Jets pull the plug on the entire plan and once again clean house or do you bring everyone back and try again with the hope Rodgers stays healthy. and if not at least have a competent back up like Gardner Minshew or Jacoby Brissett. 

There really is no way to fire Saleh/JD and bring back Rodgers. Why? Because you would have to find a HC that would keep Hackett (or find another OC agreeable to Rodgers).  This is 2012 all over again when they kept Rex and fired Tannebaum. It greatly cuts the candidate pool down and you have to settle for someone desperate enough for a job. It's not a great plan and sports arranged marriages rarely work.

The Jets are better off sticking with their 2023 plan for one more season.  They sold their soul for Rodgers, I would not pull the plug because the first season did not work out.  Give it one more year, that truly is the best probability for success. I know we are all upset and want our pound of flesh, but I think in this case discretion is the better part of valor.

I say this as a senior citizen fan from the 60's!   I've been through a lot of Jets misery and am as impatient as any fan here!  

Doesn't matter if Rodgers is there. Jets will go nowhere with this CS.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

All of this is wrong.

Saleh and Hackett are fired immediately. A call is placed to Rodgers letting him know this is an organizational decision and he can decide if he wants to stay or go after the new coach is hired. If he walks, you deal with the cap repercussions with your new staff. And by new staff, I mean a proven winner like Harbaugh is given a blank check and the keys to the franchise.

Why I’m the would Joe Douglas not be by far the most responsible of this mess? First choosing to draft Zach instead of keeping darnold, is ALL on him. Having the worst OL for 2 years in row now is not the HC, running backs, etc fault. Not calling flacco , or going for a viable qb2, before or during the season. He is a at least 75% of the cause of this season. A new Gm would know rodgers is the best option for at least next yr. Have to even for contract wise. Saleh and Hackett are not to blame for this hideous embarrassment of a OL now two years in a row.

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

All of this is wrong.

Why would any “big name” coach want to come here ?

Someone like Harbaugh should ask for like Ohtani like money. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

All of this is wrong.

So you’d be taking Rodgers’ keys and trying to hand them to Harbaugh, who would never come here.  

You’re right, of course, that we’ve needed a VP for some time but who is gonna work for Woody even with a “blank check”?  It’s such a no-win situation at this point….

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

In the current NFL is almost unheard of to bring back a HC for a fourth season after three double digit lost seasons in his first 3 years.  However that is about to happen with the New York Jets.  While I'm not going to make a case that Saleh is a good HC and deserves to be brought back I can make a case for the thought process that results with his return.

The Jets in 2023 went all in and traded for Aaron Rodgers. In addition a change was made in the coaching staff that replaced OC Mike Lefluer with Nate Hackett, an Aaron Rodgers guy.  Unfortunately 4 plays into the 2023 season the plan got derailed with a season ending injury resulting in the Jets not only not contending for a championship but once again bottoming out with a double digit loss season.

The dilemma now is do the Jets pull the plug on the entire plan and once again clean house or do you bring everyone back and try again with the hope Rodgers stays healthy. and if not at least have a competent back up like Gardner Minshew or Jacoby Brissett. 

There really is no way to fire Saleh/JD and bring back Rodgers. Why? Because you would have to find a HC that would keep Hackett (or find another OC agreeable to Rodgers).  This is 2012 all over again when they kept Rex and fired Tannebaum. It greatly cuts the candidate pool down and you have to settle for someone desperate enough for a job. It's not a great plan and sports arranged marriages rarely work.

The Jets are better off sticking with their 2023 plan for one more season.  They sold their soul for Rodgers, I would not pull the plug because the first season did not work out.  Give it one more year, that truly is the best probability for success. I know we are all upset and want our pound of flesh, but I think in this case discretion is the better part of valor.

I say this as a senior citizen fan from the 60's!   I've been through a lot of Jets misery and am as impatient as any fan here!  

Dont be rational.  There no place for it here.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

There really is no way to fire Saleh/JD and bring back Rodgers. Why? Because you would have to find a HC that would keep Hackett (or find another OC agreeable to Rodgers).  

Or you could do what needs doing and tell Rodgers to go **** himself if he doesn’t like it, like a professional football franchise would do

• Upvote 2

Next year will be another wasted season if we don’t make significant changes. We don’t have the resources to turn this around, even if we had a competent coaching staff. And the decision makers are arguably worse than the coaches.

The best move would be to fire Douglas and Saleh, draft a QB, and tell Rodgers to STFU and collect his millions. Plan for the future because the present is very bleak and irreparable. 

• Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

All of this is wrong.

There is no top coach that is coming here. None. Nobody.

Belichick basically wrote the next 20 years when he decided he wasn't working for Woody.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

In the current NFL it is almost unheard of to bring back a HC for a fourth season after three double digit lost seasons in his first 3 years.  However that is about to happen with the New York Jets.  While I'm not going to make a case that Saleh is a good HC and deserves to be brought back I can make a case for the thought process that results with his return.

Look no further the the Browns for comptent coaching staff and 11 wins ...they lost their QB , RB had multiple injuries, etc. yet they are in the PO.  Their players that know what the F they are doing... So I disagree, with your supposition.  JD's rebuild plan, if that is what you want to call it was ajoke... his drafts have been terrible and while the team has better talent on 2/3 of the team (ST/D) they are NOWHERE near a PO team, let alone a SB contender. 

Indeed, this coaching staff is not just inept.  The HC record is 17-33 after 50 games and or .340.  Three years of double digit loses, many games being outcoached and looking unprepared.  This enite regime should be fired for  overestimating the talent on O esp. B=up QB, not doing anything to replace AR and or fixing the OL.... 

Sorry, they sold Woody a bill of goods and it looks like your in the same cognitive mind set. 

PS.  They could fire Hackett and should and if AR doesn't like it send him packing to the Raiders. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, AZSOJ said:

Look no further the the Browns for comptent coaching staff and 11 wins ...they lost their QB , RB had multiple injuries, etc. yet they are in the PO.  Their players that know what the F they are doing... So I disagree, with your supposition.  JD's rebuild plan, if that is what you want to call it was ajoke... his drafts have been terrible and while the team has better talent on 2/3 of the team (ST/D) they are NOWHERE near a PO team, let alone a SB contender. 

Indeed, this coaching staff is not just inept.  The HC record is 17-33 after 50 games and or .340.  Three years of double digit loses, many games being outcoached and looking unprepared.  This enite regime should be fired for  overestimating the talent on O esp. B=up QB, not doing anything to replace AR and or fixing the OL.... 

Sorry, they sold Woody a bill of goods and it looks like your in the same cognitive mind set. 

PS.  They could fire Hackett and should and if AR doesn't like it send him packing to the Raiders. 

And look no further than the Browns for what happens to an organization if you continually fire the staff and start over. Jets fans rightfully bitch at not making the playoffs in over a decade but want to be the Browns who have never won a SB and won't this year either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This thread also presupposes that it was perfectly acceptable for the Jets to punt on the season after four plays, which of course is bullsh*t

Ehh, I mean, we beat the Bills, Eagles, should've beat the Chiefs if not for a no-call hold on the Chiefs and a borderline hold (on an uncatchable pass anyway) on Sauce, and beat the absolute crap out of the Texans.

As of late? Yea, the team looks like it's sleepwalking. Can't deny that. But I don't think the whole "quit four plays in" is accurate.

More like they quit once they realized Zach was still Zach, the offensive line was still terrible and we're basically F'd.

Perhaps a small differentiation here, but since this team makes me absolutely miserable most weeks when watching, I choose to relish the small victories; i.e. "HEY BUDDY, we only quit on 50% of this year's games, GOT IT? OK".

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Ehh, I mean, we beat the Bills, Eagles, should've beat the Chiefs if not for a no-call hold on the Chiefs and a borderline hold (on an uncatchable pass anyway) on Sauce, and beat the absolute crap out of the Texans.

As of late? Yea, the team looks like it's sleepwalking. Can't deny that. But I don't think the whole "quit four plays in" is accurate.

More like they quit once they realized Zach was still Zach, the offensive line was still terrible and we're basically F'd.

Perhaps a small differentiation here, but since this team makes me absolutely miserable most weeks when watching, I choose to relish the small victories; i.e. "HEY BUDDY, we only quit on 50% of this year's games, GOT IT? OK".

I’m not sure what you’re disagreeing with. The entire offseason was all about how the Jets were jUsT a QuArTeRbACk aWaY, and then when Rodgers went down, Douglas and Saleh shrugged and stuck with Zach Wilson. If that’s not punting on the season, I hope I never see it

The New York Jets have the most penalties by a team this season, with 111 penalties. That has nothing to do with Rasputin Rodgers.

NOTHING. 

Bobby Salesman is the biggest liability on this team going into next year. Best case scenario is good ol' Arodge plays in all 17 games. But with Booby Salad still at the helm, it won't matter. Arodge in his prime could not overcome the penalties and stupid mistakes. Let me repeat, best case scenario, you might win 8 games next year with Bobby Salad. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’m not sure what you’re disagreeing with. The entire offseason was all about how the Jets were jUsT a QuArTeRbACk aWaY, and then when Rodgers went down, Douglas and Saleh shrugged and stuck with Zach Wilson. If that’s not punting on the season, I hope I never see it

I thought you meant the team quit then.

But yea, we absolutely should've signed Flacco right there.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

In the current NFL it is almost unheard of to bring back a HC for a fourth season after three double digit lost seasons in his first 3 years.  However that is about to happen with the New York Jets.  While I'm not going to make a case that Saleh is a good HC and deserves to be brought back I can make a case for the thought process that results with his return.

There is actually 1 thing they could do that would keep AR happy and we get rid of Saleh and JD

Promote Hackett - let the offense hire whomever they want for OC, position coaches, etc.. (AR i think would be all over that)

Find a 4/3 DC - (dime a dozen)

GM - let me do their draft and FA...jkg of course promote Rex Hogan and see how he does

if all goes to sh*t then start over 2025 which is probably whats going to happen anyway

easy peasy

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

No they don't. All we are doing is rewarding FAILURE

42 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

There is actually 1 thing they could do that would keep AR happy and we get rid of Saleh and JD

Promote Hackett - let the offense hire whomever they want for OC, position coaches, etc.. (AR i think would be all over that)

Find a 4/3 DC - (dime a dozen)

GM - let me do their draft and FA...jkg of course promote Rex Hogan and see how he does

if all goes to sh*t then start over 2025 which is probably whats going to happen anyway

easy peasy

You lost me at promote Hackett.

Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

5 hours ago, JetPotato said:

All of this is wrong.

The problem is.. Harbaugh isn't likely to be interested with Rodgers and all of your top candidates are likely going to want to pass barring some real crazy assed conditions. Even if you go the "the new GM/HC can decide if they want to keep Rodgers" that isn't really a decision. Rodgers contract isn't really able to be terminated as the dead cap hit is insane so they'd be keeping him.

The new GM/HC would be expected to fix this roster, hire a full staff, install systems and compete for a Superbowl in their 1st year. Even if they could move on without Rodgers.. the Jets situation for a rebuild is abysmal. The "Good" players contracts expire in a year or two so they're either going to be paid significantly more or off the team. Those decisions would have to be made on some guys before they even got to see how they fit the new systems. So the Jets would have to go through to "burn down" phase before they could really start a 'rebuild'. GM and HCs have a hard time surviving that.

It's just not an attractive situation for a new staff to walk into so.. The don't really have any options other than running it back and hoping a miracle happens.

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think some of you are missing the point with the “blank check” for Harbaugh.

Paying a guy $12 million+ a year is essentially acknowledging he’s the king and you’re going to get the F out of the way. The money symbolizes power.

Hence, you pay Saleh $4mm a year he has no real power.

i read somewhere that Michigan offered him a 10 yr contract with a clause where he couldnt leave after 1 year or something like that. not sure if he signed it.

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Why I’m the would Joe Douglas not be by far the most responsible of this mess? First choosing to draft Zach instead of keeping darnold, is ALL on him. Having the worst OL for 2 years in row now is not the HC, running backs, etc fault. Not calling flacco , or going for a viable qb2, before or during the season. He is a at least 75% of the cause of this season. A new Gm would know rodgers is the best option for at least next yr. Have to even for contract wise. Saleh and Hackett are not to blame for this hideous embarrassment of a OL now two years in a row.

Is it not clear that handing the keys to Harbaugh means JD is obviously out?

5 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Why would any “big name” coach want to come here ?

Someone like Harbaugh should ask for like Ohtani like money. 

And Woody should give it to him. He has plenty of it. Time to spend it correctly for a change. 

It's still New York. You pay him whatever he wants and you let him do his thing. We're the thirstiest fan base on the planet. You win here, you're a GOD. If people were still trying believe in Zach Wilson, imagine what someone who actually executes football at a high level would be.