Jets OL coach Keith Carter getting universally laughed at

Our OL schemes are atrociously basic.  Watch the Eagles run schemes with two pullers and backside wham blocks, guys climbing to the second and third level... defenders are getting ear-holed from trap blocks and slow down their aggressive rushes.  Then watch the jets.  Almost totally one-step turn-your-ass and push zone blocking technique.  So predictable.  Every DL and LB knows exactly who they're getting blocked by and after a few snaps, can start working the OL's tendencies.  It's crap.  But there are only so many Bill Callahans in the world. Some wisdom from him:

https://www.news-herald.com/2021/08/13/bill-callahan-is-like-a-professor-coaching-browns-offensive-line/

“There’s always going to be an element of risk when you modify something in a player’s game that has been successful, but we want them to try new things (in practice) because if they don’t, they won’t do it in a game,” Callahan said. “We should find ways of blocking differently than everybody else does, or throwing types of hand strikes that you wouldn’t normally do in a one-on-one (drill).

“If you don’t take those type risks, you’ll never improve. If you don’t try something different, you’ll never know. You’ll just be in a rut. It’s like throwing that fastball every time. You keep throwing fastball, fastball, fastball — someone’s going to hit it. They’re going to hit it long and deep. So we try to change the program and give them subtleties they haven’t been exposed to.”

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The offensive line coach isn’t making or breaking the Jets.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t get it either. Maybe training camp and whatnot? It just sounds like Carter is a hardo that veterans don’t want to deal with. 

This is my read too. I don’t put much stock in the Titans stats because on the one hand they had Derrick Henry in his prime and on the other sacks are a QB stat. As for injuries, the OL has been decimated for three years straight, which means that started two years before Carter even got here. It’s kind of nuts that the Jets had one of the worst offensive seasons in decades and aren’t firing anyone on the offensive staff, but Carter seems like he’s just a replacement level redass assistant coach. Unless you’re replacing him with Munchak or Callahan I don’t think him being here or not in particular moves the needle.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Lewan’s major complaint about Carter was that he drove his OL so hard in practice that it caused that Tennessee OL to break down every year. I’m not sure that’s what occurred here, but obviously the Jets OL went to hell injury-wise, and Becton looked like a shell of himself at the end of the year. Conservatively, the Jets are going to need to sign two free agent OL this offseason, and they’ll be doing so with an OL coach who’s loathed by veterans and a turf field notorious to snapping tendons. Saleh is going to keep his buddy Carter because Carter got low-end fringe players like Jake Hanson up to speed at the end of the year while ignoring the fact that his big-ticket veterans all seem to hate him. 

Can a 400 lb. guy be shell of himself if his fat ass sucked balls in the 1st place?

That Becton hates him might be a selling point. But the results are really bad no matter what metric you use. Would think somebody has to get tossed out of the lifeboat. But unlikely any OL coach with options is signing up to get pink slipped roughly a year from now. There's probably few takers for this job. 

Reminder; having a moron QB who held on to the ball well over 2.6 seconds that Bobby Salad refused to bench for 3 seasons, also, not a selling point to potential employees. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

During the regular season, players are limited to a total of fourteen padded practices, eleven of which must be held during the first eleven weeks of the regular season, and three of which must be held during the remaining six weeks of the regular season.

That's LESS than one padded practice a week. Someone explain how a player can be "broken down" when they're not even practicing in pads once a week.

I understand that to a point. But as the season has gone to 17 games over 18 weeks, keeping players fresh is critical. Also, you never hear Belichick or Andy Reid or any successful coach runs players into the ground with hard long practices. Suspect especially with veterans long hard practices not only aren't a positive but a real negative. Lots of the old Jets from the 1980s complained the team was primed under Walt Michaels . But when he was fired and martinet long practice guy Joe Walton took over, Jets wore down every season and had way more injuries. These aren't high schoolers and it's a really long season. 

• Upvote 1

Lewan’s major complaint about Carter was that he drove his OL so hard in practice that it caused that Tennessee OL to break down every year. I’m not sure that’s what occurred here, but obviously the Jets OL went to hell injury-wise, and Becton looked like a shell of himself at the end of the year. Conservatively, the Jets are going to need to sign two free agent OL this offseason, and they’ll be doing so with an OL coach who’s loathed by veterans and a turf field notorious to snapping tendons. Saleh is going to keep his buddy Carter because Carter got low-end fringe players like Jake Hanson up to speed at the end of the year while ignoring the fact that his big-ticket veterans all seem to hate him. 

I may have missed something somewhere but I was unaware Saleh and Carter were friends. I knew that Lewan had not liked Carter from last year but he wasn’t the only one who said Carter worked guys too hard . Although it seemed like Titans blocking and run game were pretty good. It couldn’t have all been due to King Henry and Tannehill and Mariota?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t get it either. Maybe training camp and whatnot? It just sounds like Carter is a hardo that veterans don’t want to deal with. 

This is my probably wrong theory. And I think it plays into why line play is so bad. But it’s much harder to weed guys out at earlier levels than it used to be because practices have gotten so easy. Then once you get to the pros like Becton did, it’s a complete sh*tshow. Conditioning used to filter your roster out by at least 5-6 guys every year, especially on the line. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, varjet said:

Half the NFL is looking for a new OL coach.  

what coach is coming to work with Saleh in his last year.  

we will draft a RT. Bakhtiari will come.  2025 is a new beginning

Baktiari has played like 12 or 13 games the past 3 seasons.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I hate that the Jets are burrowing themselves in this hole. I hope they’re right, but it was pretty clear that this unit was the worst in the NFL, and there are plenty of current and former players who have loudly voiced their displeasure with Carter. Can’t blame him for the injuries totally because we’ve habitually had an injury prone OL, but many seem to think his practices don’t help.

Unfortunately, I think when Saleh and Rodgers had his back, Carter became an untouchable (at least for a year). This comment by Rodgers stood out to me… 

Grasping for straws here, but wondering if they feel the players not responding to Carter’s hard-nosed style was more of a player/character issue than just coaching alone… 

• Upvote 1

Rodgers is going to bottom this team out the way Rex and Idzik did, and you guys don’t even see it.

Thx is not an organization that can give 10-20% of their roster and coaching staff spots to “friends of Aaron”.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This is my read too. I don’t put much stock in the Titans stats because on the one hand they had Derrick Henry in his prime and on the other sacks are a QB stat. As for injuries, the OL has been decimated for three years straight, which means that started two years before Carter even got here. It’s kind of nuts that the Jets had one of the worst offensive seasons in decades and aren’t firing anyone on the offensive staff, but Carter seems like he’s just a replacement level redass assistant coach. Unless you’re replacing him with Munchak or Callahan I don’t think him being here or not in particular moves the needle.

I think the fact that his is replacement level is the best reason to replace him, though. He clearly has the bad reputation and he didn’t add much as a line coach anyway, so why keep him around if you can get somebody without the reputation? The lone positive of keeping him is that it might keep Bakhtiari from coming here, but outside of that, there’s no incentive to hang on to him. The 2024 Jets need to find edges wherever they can

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the fact that his is replacement level is the best reason to replace him, though. He clearly has the bad reputation and he didn’t add much as a line coach anyway, so why keep him around if you can get somebody without the reputation? The lone positive of keeping him is that it might keep Bakhtiari from coming here, but outside of that, there’s no incentive to hang on to him. The 2024 Jets need to find edges wherever they can

I agree with all of this, and I think firing him is the right move. But it’s hard for me to get exercised about it, because firing the entire offensive staff from Hackett on down is the right move, too, and they’re not doing that (and any OL coach worth a sh*t wouldn’t come here anyway). Deck chairs, Titanic, etc. Who even gives a sh*t anymore.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Our OL schemes are atrociously basic.  Watch the Eagles run schemes with two pullers and backside wham blocks, guys climbing to the second and third level... defenders are getting ear-holed from trap blocks and slow down their aggressive rushes.  Then watch the jets.  Almost totally one-step turn-your-ass and push zone blocking technique.  So predictable.  Every DL and LB knows exactly who they're getting blocked by and after a few snaps, can start working the OL's tendencies.  It's crap.  But there are only so many Bill Callahans in the world. Some wisdom from him:

https://www.news-herald.com/2021/08/13/bill-callahan-is-like-a-professor-coaching-browns-offensive-line/

“There’s always going to be an element of risk when you modify something in a player’s game that has been successful, but we want them to try new things (in practice) because if they don’t, they won’t do it in a game,” Callahan said. “We should find ways of blocking differently than everybody else does, or throwing types of hand strikes that you wouldn’t normally do in a one-on-one (drill).

“If you don’t take those type risks, you’ll never improve. If you don’t try something different, you’ll never know. You’ll just be in a rut. It’s like throwing that fastball every time. You keep throwing fastball, fastball, fastball — someone’s going to hit it. They’re going to hit it long and deep. So we try to change the program and give them subtleties they haven’t been exposed to.”

This is a great post and so spot on.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, football guy said:

I hate that the Jets are burrowing themselves in this hole. I hope they’re right, but it was pretty clear that this unit was the worst in the NFL, and there are plenty of current and former players who have loudly voiced their displeasure with Carter. Can’t blame him for the injuries totally because we’ve habitually had an injury prone OL, but many seem to think his practices don’t help.

Unfortunately, I think when Saleh and Rodgers had his back, Carter became an untouchable (at least for a year). This comment by Rodgers stood out to me… 

RPReplay_Final1704943178.mov 44.89 MB · 1 download

Grasping for straws here, but wondering if they feel the players not responding to Carter’s hard-nosed style was more of a player/character issue than just coaching alone… 

If carter is running them too hard at practice, isn't it salehs responsibility to step in and tell carter what to do?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

If carter is running them too hard at practice, isn't it salehs responsibility to step in and tell carter what to do?

There’s a 0.0% chance he’s practicing guys too hard. Maybe he’s not giving off camp counselor positive vibes like the crew in Adams Family Values like Hackett and Saleh, but the Jets are not having junction boy’s practices.

I think now is the time when the Jets appoint Nick Mangold as Assistant  OL Coach.  Let him learn and keep Carter in line.   I am sure he will get it quick, and it gives the Jets leverage to fire Carter once Nick gets ramped up.  The players will respect Nick.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I agree with all of this, and I think firing him is the right move. But it’s hard for me to get exercised about it, because firing the entire offensive staff from Hackett on down is the right move, too, and they’re not doing that (and any OL coach worth a sh*t wouldn’t come here anyway). Deck chairs, Titanic, etc. Who even gives a sh*t anymore.

In truth, firing everyone from JD on down is actually the right move, everything other than that is mostly window dressing.

That's been the case since they started trying to make LaFleur the fall guy last year, which was a joke at the time for anyone paying attention and has been proven as much since.

At this point, no reason to care much until they're all gone.

• Upvote 2

I don’t know why players hate Carter but the general consensus is that he’s a hardo and practices are too hard.

Thats a culture problem then.  If your OL coach pushes too much compared to your HC or other staff then that’s on the HC for not aligning things properly.

This article is extremely interesting to me considering the 2 main people of the current regime come from the two organizations here.  I think this shows also that the belief that pro athletes aren’t willing to get after it in practice is pure BS.  If you can show that it pays off and you are consistent in it, most will buy into it.

Whether Carter is overly aggressive beyond the levels discussed here I guess is possible but I doubt it. 

https://insidetheiggles.com/posts/javon-hargrave-draws-nba-parallel-describing-eagles-49ers-varying-practice-styles

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Rodgers is going to bottom this team out the way Rex and Idzik did, and you guys don’t even see it.

Thx is not an organization that can give 10-20% of their roster and coaching staff spots to “friends of Aaron”.

Interesting observation.  Does look like JD and the brain trust sold their souls to the devil when Rodgers reworked his deal and took the pay cut... 

Personally, Carter should have been fired after the final whistle blew. The only reason why nobody was fired is blatantly obvious. Rodgers wants a do-over with the same staff to prove a point. I sure hope that he proves whatever point he feels to prove. If he leaves it all on the field with a 2024 MVP and Super Bowl ring in his one and only full season, sign me up.