Could Woody change his mind now?

30 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

They did exactly that in 2009.

Did we? Woody publicly declared Mangini would return to coach next season and then he fired him at seasons end?

I am not saying you’re wrong or disagreeing with you….I honestly just do not remember that .

1 hour ago, derp said:

He let Mike Maccagnan spend big money in free agency and make the third pick in the draft before firing him in the spring. I think for someone who’s done a firing at that stage in the process, changing their mind at the last minute always has to be considered as a possibility.

In this case, I don’t think he will. This particular circumstance is a perfect storm of Woody battling a reputation of being impulsive while simultaneously being cheap and the current group in charge having a built in excuse.

After this season he can go in front of the microphones and say I gave Douglas almost his full six year deal to execute his vision and he hasn’t delivered so we need to start fresh. The only questions that will come Woody’s way was whether it was too late - this year people would have pontificated on whether Douglas and Saleh got a fair shake given the Rodgers injury.

And he won’t have to pay two GM’s for this season. It is easily the most businesslike approach.

When Joe Douglas was hired in the summer of 2019, the Jets hadn't made the playoffs in 8 years. Jets win 7 games in Joe Douglas' inaugural season with the team, but that was really Mike Maccagnan's team, other than Joe Douglas' horrible decision to sign Ryan Kalil (C) and Kaare Vedvik (K). Fast forward to now, and the Jets are still a 7-win team with a 17-game schedule. The Jets are as pathetic on offense with Joe Douglas as GM as they were during the last few years of Mac, but at least Mac gave Jets fans 2015. Woody is being patient to a fault with this current regime.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, section314 said:

Also, as has been mentioned too many times to count here, based on the tv revenue sharing currently in place, there is no benefit to Woody to have the Jets be good. It only matters to a few type A personalities of which Woody is definitely not one of. Our only hope is that he sees buying a team for $700mm that is now worth 5-6 billion as a great trade and asks for the check. Until he’s gone, this will never change.

Jerry Jones looked like he was crying in the post game interview following the game last night. Woody was surely celebrating our win in the final game to finish the season 7-10. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Does anybody really believe a guy like Harbaugh wants to put his legacy on the line with a 40+ year old QB coming off a major injury?  

I suspect if hairball takes any coaching job he’s going to want some serious control.  He would be able to choose his own qb and assistants and then evaluated free agents and the draft.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

When Joe Douglas was hired in the summer of 2019, the Jets hadn't made the playoffs in 8 years. Jets win 7 games in Joe Douglas' inaugural season with the team, but that was really Mike Maccagnan's team, other than Joe Douglas' horrible decision to sign Ryan Kalil (C) and Kaare Vedvik (K). Fast forward to now, and the Jets are still a 7-win team with a 17-game schedule now. Jets are as pathetic on offense with Joe Douglas as GM as they were during the last few years of Mac, but at least Mac gave Jets fans 2015. Woody is being patient to a fault with this current regime.

Don’t salehs and Douglas’ contract run out in 2025?  In my mind there’s little to be lost if saleh is launched right now since he’s most likely out in two seasons regardless.  And in those two seasons I think we’ll continue to see wasted opportunities to get the most out of guys like sauce, gWilson, breece, and so on.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t even think Aaron has his ear. It’s just Hymie Elhai giving him the P and L’s and the season ticket re-ups and that’s the end of it. The rest of it is Douglas blowing smoke up his ass about how close they are

Not trying to be funny.  What is Hymie Elhai’s background?  I am assuming, knowing Woody, that football was never part of it. 

42 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Why do people think the league cares what the Jets do on the field? It's actually to their advantage for the Jets to stink because the stadium will always be full and the ratings will be there, no matter what the record. That's not true of most other teams who need the wins to get the dollars.

This

People don’t understand “professional” sports

Its about the $ at the end of the day, everything else is secondary, including the integrity and perceived integrity of the game.

11 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

McCarthy is trash.

If you want to get to the playoffs and get embarrassed as soon as you’re there, he’s your guy.

McCarthy coached the Cowboys into the playoffs numerous times with the players that Jerry and Will McClay found for him.   That is better than Gase or Saleh have done.  

Woody would to have to stealth find out unofficially who's truly interested in those jobs. What if the top 3 non-Belichicks all turn him down after firing Saleh, and he just ends up with this year's leftovers to get into bed with them for 4+ seasons, too. As much as I'm ready to move on myself, in a way he may as well leave these two in place on the hotseat with no long term security until seeing acceptable results of the 2024 season.

To do something now, where Woody's eating his own recent words, it'd almost have to be a franchise game-changer like Harbaugh who'd get a 10 year deal and would make it a clean break with everyone in both the FO and coaching. Further, Woody would have to know in advance that Harbaugh would take the Jets' job over all other suitors. Probably also that he Rodgers want to spoon each other, since it'd be hard to imagine Harbaugh truly wanting to retain Hackett to run his offense. Hard for me to see those two arrogant hotheads meshing together week after week, though, once the season's stresses starts to set in. But if he was willing to come in and retain Ulbrich, I'd take that in a heartbeat right now. Don't know that it's on the table, but offer him $25MM/year for a decade and maybe some of those apprehensions fade enough to take the job. That's probably what it'd take anyway. 

Belichick will never come here anyway - not that they should want it to happen anyway at 72 - but what he does do most is eat up a desirable landing spot to free up another candidate.

Hard to say if Vrabel is enough of a Belichick sycophant to turn down the Jets' job (if even offered). Maybe not, as Belichick surely doesn't have the same pull around the league as he did when he shunned Mangini for taking the Jets' HC job. He would be another defensive HC hire, so I don't know what happens on offense, and even runs the risk of changing nothing on offense this year...including retaining Hackett.

McCarthy, I'm not buying that years of bad blood are over between him & Rodgers. More likely it's more of the talk-is-cheap variety, where it serves neither one to publicly admit they want nothing to do with one another, as it was always unlikely it'd come up anyway with McCarthy then locked in Dallas and Rodgers having only so many years left. Never mind McCarthy isn't going to want to keep Hackett on board & it's hard to see any new HC hire who really would, only adding to the friction. McCarthy would bring an obvious upgrade on offense over Saleh, no doubt; and if Ulbrich would stay on (if McCarthy would want him to) then there'd be continuity where you wanted it and change where it's needed. I'd just have to see this hire actually take place for me to believe those two would want to work with one another again. This is if McCarthy is even fired in the first place -- Dak only has 1 non-guaranteed year left on his contract and - for all his ability and gaudy numbers - is a grade-A choke artist and everyone knows it. 

Whatever, I've accepted there will be no changes. At least it keeps my expectations low.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rob Moore said:

Absolutely not.  I read hyperbole on here all the time such as “no good coaches will ever take this job bc Woody” or “no Gm will take this job bc our culture is toxic and bc Woody.”

If an owner publicly endorses his coach and gm, says they’re back, then turns around and fires them….then that is precisely how you will never attract good candidates.  

EXACTLY! Woody is the sole reason the JETS sucks ass and will until he sells the organization. HE alone the problem, it's a systemic culture problem loaded with LOOOOSERS who enable him. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

When Joe Douglas was hired in the summer of 2019, the Jets hadn't made the playoffs in 8 years. Jets win 7 games in Joe Douglas' inaugural season with the team, but that was really Mike Maccagnan's team, other than Joe Douglas' horrible decision to sign Ryan Kalil (C) and Kaare Vedvik (K). Fast forward to now, and the Jets are still a 7-win team with a 17-game schedule. The Jets are as pathetic on offense with Joe Douglas as GM as they were during the last few years of Mac, but at least Mac gave Jets fans 2015. Woody is being patient to a fault with this current regime.

After you quoted I added that I personally think it’s time to move on. Had been vocal about that during the season. So totally agree he’s being patient to a fault .But what you quoted is what I roughly suspect Woody is thinking.

• Upvote 1

Essentially zero chance unless something life altering comes out about Douglas or Saleh.

Jets will be in the market for a GM and HC next year when the top candidates are a hot defensive coordinator looking for his first shot and a bean counting no name executive recommended by Korn Ferry.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, derp said:

After you quoted I added that I personally think it’s time to move on. Had been vocal about that during the season. So totally agree he’s being patient to a fault .But what you quoted is what I roughly suspect Woody is thinking.

This part of the offseason is going to actually the calm before the storm for Jets fans.

Just wait until you see Douglas and Saleh both get extensions right before free agency starts, to prove to FAs that there's going to be stability here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This part of the offseason is going to actually the calm before the storm for Jets fans.

Just wait until you see Douglas and Saleh both get extensions right before free agency starts, to prove to FAs that there's going to be stability here. 

Oh im so ready for that. Would love to see the chaos.

Fire This Is Fine GIF

• Haha 1

Don’t hold your breath. Woody is an airhead trust fund dummy when it comes to high-level cutthroat competition like the NFL.

His Jets financial success = being born with the right last name allowing him to buy in to the NFL gravy train.

Competitively he’s been eaten alive by owners savvy in ways he’s not.

3 hours ago, NOSIDE said:

I think there was a major failure this year to prepare with a decent backup QB. But this regime has overall done well turning over the roster. As bad as this year was, how does firing everyone and starting new help? We’re a decent Qb Away from being a really good team- and as much as I understand they failed on the backup QB front- there’s not much more that needs to significantly improve. We’ve attempted to address OL and just missed on some players. Restore the OL and get a viable backup- why blowup everything?

Same record as the year before.   No improvement.   Had they pulled a Cleveland and made the playoffs sure run it back.  Jd and Saleh took the mulligan when Rodgers went down and surrendered the season.  It showed a lack of competitive juice that creates a culture of failure.

Harbaugh wants to be the defacto owner.

We already have a defacto owner.

We even have a real one, who was so happy when Wilson threw that Home Run on the Pitch after it bounced of the wickett.

2 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Woody is focused on the marketing for the new uniforms they're going to have next season he's not serious about wins and losses its all about the money...

Simple question , do you think more wins would create more money ? 

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Why do people think the league cares what the Jets do on the field? It's actually to their advantage for the Jets to stink because the stadium will always be full and the ratings will be there, no matter what the record. That's not true of most other teams who need the wins to get the dollars.

So I guess you both @oatmeal don't remember the NFL doing the exact same thing for the GINTS.... Oh wait is that NY also.

• WTF? 1

I guess I posted this in the wrong thread earlier.

Honestly, our situation is worse because we have the owner of the team making bad decision after bad decision and there is no way to get rid of him.  Woody Johnson is the underlying poison behind this team's persistent failures.  We can blame every GM he hired, every HC he blessed, every QB he made them bring, but in the end, it's Woody.  Unfortunately, he's a child in old man's clothing.  Woody is going to play with his toy as he pleases no matter what we say here, no matter the repeated same consequences.  He is truly an imbecile.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Doubt they get extensions.  But regarding the OP, while i don’t think woody is going to get rid of these guys yet, i do think the one possible outcome that woody does change his mind about is being open to drafting another qb (but not in round 1).  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Doubt they get extensions.  But regarding the OP, while i don’t think woody is going to get rid of these guys yet, i do think the one possible outcome that woody does change his mind about is being open to drafting another qb (but not in round 1).  

if Woody was smart or any kind of business man (which he is neither) he would MAKE them draft a QB in rounds 2 or 3 to give his fan base some glimmer of hope for future...that is not likely to happen though.

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

My pipe dream is that they trade for Justin Fields to use in packages while Rodgers is still here, then have him take over. I'd be floored if that happened though.

What could happen is they sign a guy like Mac Jones (provided the Pats dump him) to back up Rodgers. He's actually the perfect QB for Saleh. An old school game manager while they lean heavily on the run game with Breece Hall. 

If they draft a QB, don't expect it to be in the early rounds. 

8 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

My pipe dream is that they trade for Justin Fields to use in packages while Rodgers is still here, then have him take over. I'd be floored if that happened though.

What could happen is they sign a guy like Mac Jones (provided the Pats dump him) to back up Rodgers. He's actually the perfect QB for Saleh. An old school game manager while they lean heavily on the run game with Breece Hall. 

If they draft a QB, don't expect it to be in the early rounds. 

I agree that jones is saleh’s type of qb, though he really sucked so bad and became a turnover machine.  

11 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

if Woody was smart or any kind of business man (which he is neither) he would MAKE them draft a QB in rounds 2 or 3 to give his fan base some glimmer of hope for future...that is not likely to happen though.

Have to wonder if watching Jordan love succeed is going to make anyone there wonder if they should bring in a qb on day 2 and just have him sit there w/o all the pressure to start and succeed and save the franchise. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Have to wonder if watching Jordan love succeed is going to make anyone there wonder if they should bring in a qb on day 2 and just have him sit there w/o all the pressure to start and succeed and save the franchise. 

They would have to roll with 3 QBs (vet backup) for sure