Cimini: JD has eye on OT Taliese Fuaga

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think Thorn was pretty high on Wirfs going into the draft.

So JD did not go with the player this guy liked (Wirfs, eventual All-Pro and champion)...

And JD will go with the player this guy doesn't like (Fuaga)...

Should end really well...

6 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

So JD did not go with the player this guy liked (Wirfs, eventual All-Pro and champion)...

Thorn had Becton ranked slightly higher than Wirfs but he said it was really close. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Thorn ended up ranking Becton over Wirfs because Becton had left tackle upside, iirc. He did love Wirfs, though.

40 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

All true, but Beachum started a rock solid 48 games after he left the Jets, and was always a fantastic locker room guy.  The Jets always seem to let the bird in the hand fly away.

I could say the same about Tomlinson. Rock solid in terms of starting. Small problem is he sucks. 

Beachum was about an average pass blocker - not particularly good, not particularly bad - and a decidedly below average run blocker. Or that's how I remember him, anyway. So, yeah he was a legitimate starter but not someone we should've been shy about upgrading. They went with Fant and a rookie who ended up being Becton. 

Their tackles were Beachum & Shell, with Lewis-Harrison-Winters in between them, and Darnold-Falk-Siemian took 52 sacks that year. I can understand them wanting to upgrade the line across the board to see if that was part or much of the problem with Darnold. 

There's also the possibility Douglas absolutely did approach Beachum about an extension, but at a lot less than he was making ($8MM/year); then Beachum balked at it & chose free agency instead, only to find out no one else was interested in paying him either -- with his tail between his legs, he grudgingly signed with Arizona in July for the veteran minimum ($1.2MM) for 1 year, and then in March re-signed with them for 2 more years at just $2MM per. To compare, Fant was signed to replace him in 2020 at $9MM/year for 3 years with the Jets, and then just $3MM this past year for Houston; not totally unlike Becton in that the next team got him for a small fraction of what the Jets paid for 3 straight years. 

JFC this team's FO is such a clusterf***. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I'm sure the Becton over Wirfs GM will nail this pick.......nothing to sweat guys 

I can see this be like the 2020 draft.  

Teams like the Jets who did not develop their OL correctly will reach for T.  There will be a Becton, and there will be a Wirfs.  Fuaga seems like a poor man's Wirfs.   Andrew Thomas was still picked very high (call him Alt), and Jedrick Wills was picked before Becton.  He is ok.

But guys like Cee Dee Lamb and Justin Jefferson went after the Tackles.  If I am GM I am trying to draft guys like that and figuring out other ways to find OL.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think this lineup could be a good OL, but if we signing Bahktari then we need to be signing another LT that could be expected to start in the likely event Bahktari goes down with another injury. Given the amount of cautious+incentive $ that Bahktari would get I don't anticipate that would be cost prohibitive and we would be able to sign 2 LTs in the bargain department.

I do wonder if we recoup a 2nd round pick if we'd be inclined to draft a LT in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of signing an additional LT.

I agree,  We need 2 vet OT and a rookie.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I get it that having a good running game makes the pass game easier, but every player acquired this off season must be the best pass protector available . 

I could make the argument to the contrary. While we can all agree we need linemen, I can make just as good of an argument that we need playmakers, unless of course you'd like to rely on Cobb and Lazard. 

Missing out on a guy like Bowers, Harrison Jr., Nabers, Odunze, etc. would be a massive failure. I don't give a sh*t, frankly, what linemen are there. If any of the above are available, you take one. Offensive linemen are everywhere in the later rounds. Guys like Tippman and Vera Tucker can be found later. Wasting a high 1st round pick on a lineman is exactly that, a waste. That's my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I could make the argument to the contrary. While we can all agree we need linemen, I can make just as good of an argument that we need playmakers, unless of course you'd like to rely on Cobb and Lazard. 

Missing out on a guy like Bowers, Harrison Jr., Nabers, Odunze, etc. would be a massive failure. I don't give a sh*t, frankly, what linemen are there. If any of the above are available, you take one. Offensive linemen are everywhere in the later rounds. Guys like Tippman and Vera Tucker can be found later. Wasting a high 1st round pick on a lineman is exactly that, a waste. That's my opinion. 

Ernie Acorsi’s hierarchy of football needs:

get the QB

protect the QB

rush the QB

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Falco21 said:

This season is make or break for the Jets.  It is likely the last hoorah for AR8.

They need at least 3 new starters on the OL, and free agency is no bargain.

The Jets have no second round draft pick.  Watch the Packers use that pick to take a good OL.   So the Jets could be stuck having to take a starting calibre T at 10.

If I am JD, I am trimming defensive contracts, signing a bunch of FA OL (throw it against the wall) and drafting the playmaker at 10.  

10 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Bring in a veteran free agent (Bahktari?) .. then we’d be looking at a line of 

Bahktari 

AVT

Tippman

Fuaga 

swing: Carter Warren

maybe bring back Tomlinson if he takes pay cut? 

Bakhtiari‘s missed like 42 games the last 4 years.  Did he play last year?  And you want him over anyone JD is rumored to be looking at in the draft?

As others have pointed out, it's way too early for this to come with a whole lot of meaning, as a ton can still change.  Among those being that while OL will still of course be a top priority, you have to hope JD isn't going to head into the draft with any position left completely unoccupied.  That's how you end up in some ridiculous situation like drafting a third-string DE because the rest of the league knew who you originally planned to take.  That would be crazy, right?

Regardless, a potential grasp at optimism is that it turns out the one time a JD draft has been at all fruitful was when Jets coaches were last at the Senior Bowl figuring out who the team should draft, avoiding the disaster of the front office having to decide that for themselves.  Here's hoping they can manage that once again.

a word on Fuaga he measured 33 3/4 arms which is just barely enough for tackle 

anything below 33 is considered bad for tackle - 

although admittedly Joe Thomas also had 33 3/4 and Terron Armstead is around the same 

AVT measured 32 and 1/4 or something 

Tyler Guyton measured 6'7" 328 with 34 inch arms a little better 

good enough but neither of these guys will be mistaken for DBrick and that could make some scouts look at them as guard types (Brandon Thorn) 

• Upvote 1

OL Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State

Fuaga got his first reps of the week at right guard during team drills and struggled with his pass sets and hands, losing twice clean across his face. One was against a 2i alignment (defensive tackle on inside shoulder) going outside, and the other came against a 3-tech (defensive tackle on outside shoulder) going inside. He was also beat once at right tackle around the corner.

Fuaga's play strength was evident once locked onto his target this week, but his ability to protect the corner and mirror wasn't great.

• Ugh 1

Can he play LT? 

Oregon State image Tallies Fuaga, OT, Oregon State
Height: 6-6. Weight: 334.
Projected 40 Time: 5.40.
Projected Round (2024): 2-3.

1/6/24: Fuaga has gotten some media hype as a potential first-round pick for the 2024 NFL Draft. He was a starter and solid player for the Beavers over the last couple of seasons. In speaking to some NFL team sources, they weren’t as high on Fuaga as the media, but perhaps there are other team evaluators who like him more. Fuaga has a body type that could allow him to kick inside to guard as well.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024OT.php

On 1/30/2024 at 9:05 PM, Larz said:

Ernie Acorsi’s hierarchy of football needs:

get the QB

protect the QB

rush the QB

Did he actually coin that philosophy? I assumed this was general common sense like

- don’t smoke

- don’t be an a alcoholic

- don’t be obese 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

OL Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State

Fuaga got his first reps of the week at right guard during team drills and struggled with his pass sets and hands, losing twice clean across his face. One was against a 2i alignment (defensive tackle on inside shoulder) going outside, and the other came against a 3-tech (defensive tackle on outside shoulder) going inside. He was also beat once at right tackle around the corner.

Fuaga's play strength was evident once locked onto his target this week, but his ability to protect the corner and mirror wasn't great.

200.gif?cid=d9212ad9wswbn5g5y6ysvav6atfk

• Haha 2