Soccer Is A Real Sport

Just now, Maynard13 said:

Soccer is as boring to watch as golf.  Non stop running up and down back and forth. How these guys don’t just drop is beyond me. Albeit, I’ve never played it other than on the PlayStation platforms. Super fun!

Watching soccer at an Irish or English bar is a blast. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Maynard13 said:

Would definitely have to highly toasted to sit there watching these guys running around like kids in a playground. 

It’s the banter that goes on as much as the match itself. I’ve watched matches I didn’t know who was playing just because it was a good piss up. 5 or 6 hours of heavy drinking and banter followed by a curry. Plenty of great nights. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It’s the banter that goes on as much as the match itself. I’ve watched matches I didn’t know who was playing just because it was a good piss up. 5 or 6 hours of heavy drinking and banter followed by a curry. Plenty of great nights. 

The celebration on PlayStation is pretty cool as well

On 2/5/2024 at 4:30 PM, Lupz27 said:

It’s a Woman’s sport in this country.

For the time being.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Men do finally catch up to the rest of the world just like they did in Hockey.

Haven’t seen it yet.

I don’t know if you’ll care or not but this is a good opportunity for a rant even if others read it.  

The talent on the USMNT has gotten better and deeper.  More success on the big international stage is something all of us want.  There are several reasons the U.S. isn’t there yet.

First, the US Soccer Federation is incompetent and filled with nepotism. Lots of that in the NFL too.  Probably even corrupt.

Gregg Berhalter is a beneficiary of the nepotism and has no business being the head coach.  The team will never win a match against a better squad with his rigid tactics and lack of adjustments to the opponent.  He doesn’t even select the right lineup half the time.

Second, the United States hasn’t really developed its own style yet.  It used to be a little ugly with hustle and grit.  Now that the players are more technically skilled, they are a bit lost.  It’s like a mish-mosh of different European countries mimicking to an extent where each of them play their club football.  The Spaniards have a beautiful style, Italians have a defensive method, England has a physical type of play, the Dutch, French, Germans, etc., all a little different.   The South American countries have a different style, quality… but lots of flopping.  The next phase for the USMNT is figuring out what we want to create and then build the system from the youth and up.  

Finally, we just don’t have a world class #9.  The guy up top that demands attention and regularly puts the ball in the net when he gets chances or half-chances.  Personally, I prefer Pepi to the other options. Berhalter left him at home for the last World Cup.  Imbecile.

Rant over…

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

But Chris “Never thrown a Spiral in my life” Streveler now plays there again.

And he'll win multiple more Grey Cups singlehandedly, showing again how much they shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I don’t know if you’ll care or not but this is a good opportunity for a rant even if others read it.  

The talent on the USMNT has gotten better and deeper.  More success on the big international stage is something all of us want.  There are several reasons the U.S. isn’t there yet.

First, the US Soccer Federation is incompetent and filled with nepotism. Lots of that in the NFL too.  Probably even corrupt.

Gregg Berhalter is a beneficiary of the nepotism and has no business being the head coach.  The team will never win a match against a better squad with his rigid tactics and lack of adjustments to the opponent.  He doesn’t even select the right lineup half the time.

Second, the United States hasn’t really developed its own style yet.  It used to be a little ugly with hustle and grit.  Now that the players are more technically skilled, they are a bit lost.  It’s like a mish-mosh of different European countries mimicking to an extent where each of them play their club football.  The Spaniards have a beautiful style, Italians have a defensive method, England has a physical type of play, the Dutch, Germans, etc., all a little different.   The South American countries have a different style, quality… but lots of flopping.  The next phase for the USMNT is figuring out what we want to create and then build the system from the youth and up.  

Finally, we just don’t have a world class #9.  The guy up top that demands attention and regularly puts the ball in the net when he gets chances or half-chances.  Personally, I prefer Pepi to the other options. Berhalter left him at home for the last World Cup.  Imbecile.

Rant over…

Sounds like you know what your talking about.

I don’t understand half probably more.

Maybe they can copy the system the Women use for success 🤷🏻‍♂️ not a soccer guy.

My daughter is just starting to play and at 7 she seems to really like it (don’t care if she is good and wouldn’t know if she was) and is having a lot of fun maybe one day I will be able to appreciate this rant.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

My daughter is just starting to play and at 7 she seems to really like it (don’t care if she is good and wouldn’t know if she was) 

My daughter is almost 3 and I know this is going to sound harsh but she's ******* sh*t at the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Comments on your statement could violate board rules.  

Other possibilities could be that a whole lot of American Gen X and Millennials played as kids and teens who are now raising their kids to play also.  Two generations of people that FULLY understand and appreciate the elegance of the sport.   The insane popularity of the FIFA video game.  MLS’ expansion across the country.  The fact that American players are earning significant minutes and/or succeeding with some of the best clubs in the world abroad.  The USWNT failed miserably at the recent World Cup, but they draw interest from women, girls, men and boys.  

Shall I go on?

Mike Myers No GIF

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, freestater said:

I literally just listened to my buddy critique his 3 year old hitting a heavy bag the other day. Kid wasn't keeping his hands up, elbows all over the place. Dad was so concerned. 

I’ve legit seen parents lose their tops at 2 year olds because the kid can’t stay on track during parent and tot gymnastics classes. Reality is if they do 50% of the class and don’t have a meltdown any parent should consider that a huge win. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2024 at 3:22 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

Canada allows onsides punts in football and should never be taken seriously.

Thats not the only reason to not take Canada serious. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Girls   lacrosse is pretty awesome, youngest daughter played rugby, loved  it,  

Friend of mine played D2 lax. He had never seen a girls' game. Gets asked to be an assistant coach for his frosh daughter's NJ JV prep lax team. Very 1st practice, starts losing his sh!t because none of the gals are hitting.  Head coach stops the practice, pulls him aside and explains the rules, much laughter ensues. 

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Friend of mine played D2 lax. He had never seen a girls' game. Gets asked to be an assistant coach for his frosh daughter's NJ JV prep lax team. Very 1st practice, starts losing his sh!t because none of the gals are hitting.  Head coach stops the practice, pulls him aside and explains the rules, much laughter ensues. 

“Hey, you  guys are playing like a bunch gir…!”  “oh shit , nice job ladies!” Haha 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/4/2024 at 8:13 PM, Lupz27 said:

Yeah this is all because of the bajillions of people who have entered this country who love Soccer since 2008.

Pre 2008 was not that big a deal here.

Funny, myself and all my born in Ameriker friends follow Premier League teams. And I look forward to those games more than I do American football, which seems set-piece slow in comparison. And of course I follow Man City, which is the diametric opposite of the New York Jets... a team that is brilliantly coached, has an all-star team, and can be counted on to win far more than they lose. Soccer is a beautiful game, if you give it a chance. There's a reason why it's the most popular sport in the world.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Funny, myself and all my born in Ameriker friends follow Premier League teams. And I look forward to those games more than I do American football, which seems set-piece slow in comparison. And of course I follow Man City, which is the diametric opposite of the New York Jets... a team that is brilliantly coached, has an all-star team, and can be counted on to win far more than they lose. Soccer is a beautiful game, if you give it a chance. There's a reason why it's the most popular sport in the world.

WOW I wonder what year Manchester City became relevant again?

Oh yeah 2008 after being bought by the Abu Dhabi United Group. 

5 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

And of course I follow Man City, which is the diametric opposite of the New York Jets... a team that is brilliantly coached, has an all-star team, and can be counted on to win far more than they lose. 

Because they've cheated so much, they make the Patriots look like angels.

115 charges.

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

how the hell do girls catch the ball with those crosses?/ theres no fricken pocket