New territory for JD

First time in his tenure here that JD goes into an offseason in do or die mode. He’s been a bit of a golden boy since he got here and the pressure is now on, considering how dreadful his teams have been.  Reality has caught up to him. He’s no longer an unknown quantity. He’s been terrible and this offseason could very well be his last stand. He needs a great offseason…that translates to results.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 2

He can't possibly be any worse than last off season.

The problem with a lame duck coach and gm that knows they must win is they make some good win now moves but also some really dumb moves that are not in the best interest of the team.  I expect him to stupidly restructure a bunch of contracts for our bad or easily replaceable players.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He can't possibly be any worse than last off season.

The problem with a lame duck coach and gm that knows they must win is they make some good win now moves but also some really dumb moves that are not in the best interest of the team.  I expect him to stupidly restructure a bunch of contacts for our bad or easily replaceable players.

i.e. CJ Mosley will be structured to a Bobby Bonilla contract.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

I can't help but wonder, if JD had just brought in a competent back up QB last year when Rodgers went down, if last season would have turned out different.  

I'm grateful for the haul get got us when he traded Adams to the Seahawks, and loved the draft from two years ago.

What he did last year with the QB situation was awful, and we learned Saleh was telling the truth when he said "Wilson gives us the best chance of winning".

I hope JD bounces back.  Saleh and his coaching staff have to go!

• Upvote 2

If true that JD is soft and craters to Saleh or now Rogers, than he is not GM material. I have always been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, up until he traded for Rogers. If he doesn't grow a pair this offseason, then he needs to go also.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, talonmm said:

I can't help but wonder, if JD had just brought in a competent back up QB last year when Rodgers went down, if last season would have turned out different.  

oh course it would have. we started Tim Boyle in a game we lose by 5 to Atlanta. vs NE at home we lost by 5 and had 171 total yds of offense. the Raiders was another winnable games we lost by 4. the lost to the Chiefs by 3. 

that decision not to get a good backup killed them. but im not sure we could have got a good backup QB. Rodgers had a very good history career. he hardly got injured. if you look at all the good backups they never go to a team like that. they usually go to a team where they had a good chance to start. maybe that changes this year with Rodgers injury.

• Upvote 1

What’s different this year from last?  Last year pre Rodgers injury this place, media etc were all in on Jets are one of 8 gems that could make the SB now that they’re not on tv every minute the usual suspects want to fire everyone and are calling JD and Saleh lame ducks.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t know what the major beef with Douglas is beyond not having a backup last seasons.  His four drafts have been ranked B+, A, A-, and B- by PFF although I’m not quite sure how the 2022 draft that featured both dfroy and ofroy being rated lower than 2021.  These are ranking at the draft so how they turn out is much different.  But it still means that Douglas has drafted well.  It’s up to saleh to get these guys moving in the same direction.  And the same goes for the free agents.  Douglas has brought in a number of players like Quincy Williams, Reed and also UDFAs like Huff.  Of course there are some misses but again, it’s up to saleh to get these guys all playing as a team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Let’s hope this year he prevents more injuries 

In the long run no one cares why you suck, you can make excuses for any GM who ever lived.

Drafting an over sized Big top half of body OT who gets hurt and selling the whole team for an immobile 40 year old QB, 39 year old OTackle you have peniclled in as your starting LT are moves that contribute to injury risk.

I don’t know what the major beef with Douglas is beyond not having a backup last seasons.  His four drafts have been ranked B+, A, A-, and B- by PFF although I’m not quite sure how the 2022 draft that featured both dfroy and ofroy being rated lower than 2021.  These are ranking at the draft so how they turn out is much different.  But it still means that Douglas has drafted well.  It’s up to saleh to get these guys moving in the same direction.  And the same goes for the free agents.  Douglas has brought in a number of players like Quincy Williams, Reed and also UDFAs like Huff.  Of course there are some misses but again, it’s up to saleh to get these guys all playing as a team.
Were those grades given right after the draft? Because there is no way the Zach Wilson draft is anything over a D-.
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, doitny said:

oh course it would have. we started Tim Boyle in a game we lose by 5 to Atlanta. vs NE at home we lost by 5 and had 171 total yds of offense. the Raiders was another winnable games we lost by 4. the lost to the Chiefs by 3. 

that decision not to get a good backup killed them. but im not sure we could have got a good backup QB. Rodgers had a very good history career. he hardly got injured. if you look at all the good backups they never go to a team like that. they usually go to a team where they had a good chance to start. maybe that changes this year with Rodgers injury.

I chose my words carefully - I think a better backup could have helped but it's not a sure thing.  Saleh and his staff were not good coaches no matter who the backup QB was, and Hackett is horrible.

Don't forget, we all heard the reports towards the end of the season that a bunch of quarterbacks called the Jets (some more than once) and offered their services.  Some of them (or most of them) were better than the backups the front office and ownership had on the team after Rodgers went down.

4 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The most important thing he needs to do is figure out how they can prevent so many injuries from occurring. Especially on the O-Line.

Agreed.

It's beyond bad luck at this point.  Some serious self scouting from the top needs to change. 

Training, stretching, turf, etc. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Many of the guys getting hurt on the oline?  They stunk when healthy.

The reason we have a bad oline is becasue we have bad players.

AVT is about the only tangible good player who has really hurt us by going down.

I agree that guys like Tomlinson and Becton have been huge disappointments. However the Jets finished the last two seasons with street free agents and/or practice squad guys starting at multiple spots up front. There's no way you're going to have success if you're losing a starter or two on the line to injury almost every week.

They desperately need to figure out how to keep guys healthy.

In addition, the QB also played a role in the failure of the O-Line. Unlike Zach, Siemian (although he physically sucks) knew how to adjust protections before the snap. That's why the line was better the last couple of weeks.

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Many of the guys getting hurt on the oline?  They stunk when healthy.

The reason we have a bad oline is becasue we have bad players.

AVT is about the only tangible good player who has really hurt us by going down.

The past three years they've been on their 7th and 8th tackles.

4 hours ago, bicketybam said:
7 hours ago, rangerous said:

Were those grades given right after the draft? Because there is no way the Zach Wilson draft is anything over a D-.

Yes.  I should’ve made that more explicit.  My point being that according to the pff draft rankings, Douglas has done okay.  Maybe not ravens good but good enough that they should’ve one better.

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

The most important thing he needs to do is figure out how they can prevent so many injuries from occurring. Especially on the O-Line.

The Becton and AVT injuries have been catastrophic.

After Becton's rookie season everyone was pumped about what the future held.  Dude was launching defenders out of view of the cameras on some plays.

When they took AVT I remember Daniel Jeremiah saying this could be the new Walter Jones/Steve Hutchinson on the left side of an OL.  That's a damn sure fire hall of fame combo they were being compared to.

Instead, we see Becton's knee dislocate with GVR getting rag dolled which takes him out of action for two years and of course AVT missing huge chunks of each of the past two seasons.

Oh, what could've been.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

After Becton's rookie season everyone was pumped about what the future held.  Dude was launching defenders out of view of the cameras on some plays.

When they took AVT I remember Daniel Jeremiah saying this could be the new Walter Jones/Steve Hutchinson on the left side of an OL.  That's a damn sure fire hall of fame combo they were being compared to.

Instead, we see Becton's knee dislocate with GVR getting rag dolled which takes him out of action for two years and of course AVT missing huge chunks of each of the past two seasons.

Oh, what could've been.

Becton is toast IMO.    

On 2/17/2024 at 11:35 AM, WowOhWow said:

First time in his tenure here that JD goes into an offseason in do or die mode. He’s been a bit of a golden boy since he got here and the pressure is now on, considering how dreadful his teams have been.  Reality has caught up to him. He’s no longer an unknown quantity. He’s been terrible and this offseason could very well be his last stand. He needs a great offseason…that translates to results.

He's actually been really good as a GM in a lot of ways. I also like to see the maturity he has developed over the years here, really coming into his own. 

He let Carl Lawson walk this off season I think I saw recently, this was a big question mark this season, glad to see him let the guy take a walk. Sad story injuries are terrible 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Becton is toast IMO.    

Probably the case.  Never looked like the same guy after the injury.

Looked worse in weeks 14-17 this year than he did at any other point in his career.

Fatigue?  Injured?

Don't know what, but he could be done.

That being said, with such a poor OT FA class, I could see them offering him a 1-year deal with zero promises other than a fair shot to compete.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He's actually been really good as a GM in a lot of ways. I also like to see the maturity he has developed over the years here, really coming into his own. 

He let Carl Lawson walk this off season I think I saw recently, this was a big question mark this season, glad to see him let the guy take a walk. Sad story injuries are terrible 

His record speaks well of your position……..

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Oh, what could've been.

I think Becton could still be useful as a RT. He actually looked pretty good there before they moved him back to LT.

The injuries surely didn't help, but to be honest he was struggling at LT in camp in 2021 well before his knee crapped out. There were numerous reports that Carl Lawson was eating him alive in practice every day.

I'd give him another shot on the right side, where his size and strength can still be an asset.

On 2/17/2024 at 7:33 PM, talonmm said:

Gee, if only there were folks here suggesting we do exactly this!  But that’s crazy talk.  Who needs a backup QB?  

• Upvote 1

I have liked and supported Joe Douglas but his record this past year merits being fired at imo.  The list is tough to stomach:

-Gave up a second and moved down two spots in the first in 2023 with a likely first rounder in 2024 for a 40 year old QB with an albatross contract when their trading partner was desperate and there wasn't another bidder in the room.  I don't care that he became the prodigal teammate and favorably restructured his deal, that was between him and the Jets, Green Bay would not (or at least should not) have had any knowledge of that during the negotiation.  #fleeced#

-Paid Allen Lazard $11 million who was so bad that he became a healthy scratch by the end of the year.  

-Failed to cut Carl Lawson.  Paid him $8 million last year with bad cap ramifications this year.  Zero production, healthy scratch.

-Signed the rest of Aaron's buddies:  Cobb and Turner.  Zero production.

-Drafted a backup defensive lineman in the first round.  Fewest snaps of any first round pick this year if i read that correctly.

-Failed to sign our best pass rusher to an extension when he could.

-Entered the season with Zach Wilson as our #2 QB after saying this would be a reboot year.  We know how that went.

-Came into the year with 3/5 of the offensive line coming off of major injuries the year before.  

It's a bit in the rear view mirror but I can't think of a single positive move he made for the 2023 season.  Maybe extending Quincy Williams but that wasn't exactly a stretch.  If this year doesn't merit firing i don't know what does:  I don't care that Wood Johnson probably inserted his bald head into the midst of things and naturally mucked things up - Douglas should have the stones to back him down at least a bit.   

On 2/18/2024 at 5:27 PM, southparkcpa said:

His record speaks well of your position……..

Absolutely. To go from one of worst built rosters and budget to talent everywhere, Aaron rodgers and being able to pay him, we have some a long way. 

Great to see there are a couple people out there who see it.

Can't wait to see how he addresses the line this off season but I think we will see at least two starter quality guys come in plus a high draft pick! Should be great 

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 7:33 PM, talonmm said:

I'm grateful for the haul get got us when he traded Adams to the Seahawks, and loved the draft from two years ago.

What he did last year with the QB situation was awful, and we learned Saleh was telling the truth when he said "Wilson gives us the best chance of winning".

I hope JD bounces back.  Saleh and his coaching staff have to go!

A competent backup definitely could have bridged the gap to set up rodgers to come back and push jets into playoffs last 2 games.. But he has done such a horrible job with the OL, I don’t think it would have made much difference. 

18 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

I have liked and supported Joe Douglas but his record this past year merits being fired at imo.  The list is tough to stomach:

-Gave up a second and moved down two spots in the first in 2023 with a likely first rounder in 2024 for a 40 year old QB with an albatross contract when their trading partner was desperate and there wasn't another bidder in the room.  I don't care that he became the prodigal teammate and favorably restructured his deal, that was between him and the Jets, Green Bay would not (or at least should not) have had any knowledge of that during the negotiation.  #fleeced#

-Paid Allen Lazard $11 million who was so bad that he became a healthy scratch by the end of the year.  

-Failed to cut Carl Lawson.  Paid him $8 million last year with bad cap ramifications this year.  Zero production, healthy scratch.

-Signed the rest of Aaron's buddies:  Cobb and Turner.  Zero production.

-Drafted a backup defensive lineman in the first round.  Fewest snaps of any first round pick this year if i read that correctly.

-Failed to sign our best pass rusher to an extension when he could.

-Entered the season with Zach Wilson as our #2 QB after saying this would be a reboot year.  We know how that went.

-Came into the year with 3/5 of the offensive line coming off of major injuries the year before.  

It's a bit in the rear view mirror but I can't think of a single positive move he made for the 2023 season.  Maybe extending Quincy Williams but that wasn't exactly a stretch.  If this year doesn't merit firing i don't know what does:  I don't care that Wood Johnson probably inserted his bald head into the midst of things and naturally mucked things up - Douglas should have the stones to back him down at least a bit.   

Yup. It was an all-time bad off-season. Worst I’ve ever seen from any Jets GM.  

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Absolutely. To go from one of worst built rosters and budget to talent everywhere, Aaron rodgers and being able to pay him, we have some a long way. 

Great to see there are a couple people out there who see it.

Can't wait to see how he addresses the line this off season but I think we will see at least two starter quality guys come in plus a high draft pick! Should be great 

I have to imagine you grew up in the era of participation trophies.  He has 2 of the biggest 1st round busts on his watch in Zach and Becton. His 1st draft was a total washout.  Those fukk ups are hard to recover from.  Rodgers??  Hiring a 40 year old is the sign of a talented GM???

On 2/18/2024 at 3:03 PM, sourceworx said:

that begins by not relying on oft-injured guys to say healthy. its his fault for putting injury prone guys in place

On 2/17/2024 at 2:35 PM, WowOhWow said:

You are 100% correct and, I have zero faith that he will be ready to turn this around. Should have been fired after this season because there were real football people available. That's what happens when a team has the worst owner in the NFL. One more year of being bottom scrapers. What else is new in the life of a Jets fan?