Interesting QB talk on Movin the Chains

Jim and Pat were commenting on how cool and unusual it is this year to have two great veteran QB’s on the market in Cousins and Wilson. Both think Cousins to ATL and said one big factor is  his wife is from Georgia and they were married there. Then they got into a pretty interesting conversation on the drafting implications when you sign/ trade for an older guy because your current QB room sucks. Pat said the rule of thumb on when you draft the QB of the future depends on how long the deal is for the vet you just signed. Example, guy signs a 3 yr deal, draft a guy after year 1. Two year deal, draft a guy this year. That has the Jets written all over it.

If the NFL adopts the rule getting rid of the chains, will they change the name of the podcast to:”the line to gain was confirmed through optical tracking” ?

and the jets have said that they are trying to sign a veteran backup QB

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

If the NFL adopts the rule getting rid of the chains, will they change the name of the podcast to:”the line to gain was confirmed through optical tracking” ?

I read there's a new show coming to Sirus called: "Moving The Optical Tracking"

Just now, Warfish said:

JD isn't drafting the QB of the future in 2024 with Aaron "GM" Rodgers telling everyone he wants to play 4 more years, and both the GM and Head Coach in lame duck seasons desperately trying to get contract extensions.

What we 'should' do and what JD will do are most often two very different things.

I may sound like a broken record here, but maybe woody interferes.  

• Upvote 1

im in the park of forget drafting a qb this year and put all your efforts into the glaring holes on the roster and most important a solid backup veteran QB.

If you hit on some of those this year then next could be the time to look at drafting a qb.

I know there is always the side of it is a great QB class but there are at least 3-4 every year and while some are good - rarely is one great or generational.

Rarely do you get the QB who simply does not belong in the league that was drafted high  - say 1st or second round.  

18 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think there is still a chance that they add someone with a lower round pick to come in and learn/develop.  And I think if rodgers keeps playing they may do that for a few years. 

Pratt has fans, but he may be too rich for JD at this point.  I think if they take a qb its rd 4 the absolute earliest.  

So maybe looking at guys like Slovis who they met with a lot at the east west shrine game.  Not someone you'll get excited about but someone you can try to develop as the 3rd string guy maybe. 

If everyone stays then maybe you add a better prospect next year. 

That was where I was going. Not  high in the draft, but rds3-5 possibly. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I may sound like a broken record here, but maybe woody interferes.  

No worries, I also likely keep sounding like a broken record: 

Woody isn't going to "interfere" in this way.  He didn't interfere bringing Rodgers here.  He didn't interfere drafting Zach. 

We have a GM, and he made those decisions.  It's 100% his responsibility, for better or worse.  Theory-crafting convenient conspiracy theory ways to deflect accountability for decisions is, IMO, unacceptable and misguided.

Woody isn't going to force JD to draft a QB at #10 in 2024.  He certainly isn't doing so if he supposed forced JD to trade for Rodgers in the first place, lol.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think there is still a chance that they add someone with a lower round pick to come in and learn/develop.

Absolutely, 100%.  I completely agree that a late round pick (5th at highest, likely later) might be used on a QB to sit on the PS.

But knowing JD, and his penchant for screwing up the QB position, it's equally likely he retains Rypien for that PS/#3 role, and we draft no QB.

But I'd very much support a later round QB pick.  Hell, I'm not even against a QB higher conceptually (I'm no Rodgers true-believer at this point), I just know JD isn't going to do it under the current circumstances.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No worries, I also likely keep sounding like a broken record: 

Woody isn't going to "interfere" in this way.  He didn't interfere bringing Rodgers here.  He didn't interfere drafting Zach. 

We have a GM, and he made those decisions.  It's 100% his responsibility, for better or worse.  Theory-crafting convenient conspiracy theory ways to deflect accountability for decisions is, IMO, unacceptable and misguided.

Woody isn't going to force JD to draft a QB at #10 in 2024.  He certainly isn't doing so if he supposed forced JD to trade for Rodgers in the first place, lol.

I think it’s interesting the jets met with some of the top qbs, and though it’s probably due diligence, douglas needs to know in case a qb falls.  And to the extent woody impacts things, maybe he’s told douglas look, i know the rodgers injury wasn’t your fault, and that wilson clearly wasn’t a viable backup.  So let’s get a good backup this year, but also, scout these qbs b/c maybe it makes sense to take one b/c rodgers may not have much time left.  You just never know.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think it’s interesting the jets met with some of the top qbs, and though it’s probably due diligence, douglas needs to know in case a qb falls.  And to the extent woody impacts things, maybe he’s told douglas look, i know the rodgers injury wasn’t your fault, and that wilson clearly wasn’t a viable backup.  So let’s get a good backup this year, but also, scout these qbs b/c maybe it makes sense to take one b/c rodgers may not have much time left.  You just never know.  

Yes, don't forget, while they met with some of the top QB's at the combine, Douglas met with all of the QB's down in Mobile Alabama at the senior bowl as well.  I believe we are definitely drafting a QB

1 minute ago, NYDreamer said:

Yes, don't forget, while they met with some of the top QB's at the combine, Douglas met with all of the QB's down in Mobile Alabama at the senior bowl as well.  I believe we are definitely drafting a QB

I would think a likely draft plan is, try to trade back and get a 2nd rounder, go OL/wr in rounds 1/2 and then with the 3rd go defense, and then qb in the 4th

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Woody is allowed to interfere in personnel decisions when the fans want something emoji28.png

At this point i think he does interfere.  And he just told the whole world he wants offense.  So that could mean anything .

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I think it should be called "Taking Kyle Brady Over Warren Sapp"

• Haha 2

At this point i think he does interfere.  And he just told the whole world he wants offense.  So that could mean anything .
I was commenting more on the fact that people think Woody is the worst owner in professional sports because of how he presumably interferes in football decision regarding personnel. You can't pick and choose when it's ok and when it's not

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Russell Wilson is no longer a 'great' vet QB

At the price 1.2 million he’s a great value to come in and compete for a team starting job.   Lets you be able to still draft a Qb in this year draft.   Also with all the QBs going early , it’s going to drop some real nice players that you might not have been able to get in another draft. 

4 hours ago, ganggreen305 said:

I think they should of been drafting one every year until we hit on one.  You realize that when the Redskins took RGIII, later that draft they took Cousins.  Eventually (praying) we will hit on a QB.

they double dipped on qbs? wow what a concept. 

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Cousins tore his ACL late.

He may not be 100% until 2025.

He’s also like 35 and mercenary.

He actually tore his achillles like Rodgers which is worse than an ACL but opted for the traditional recovery route which normally takes much longer to recover from.  That's gotta factor into the huge contract he's hoping to get. 

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think there is still a chance that they add someone with a lower round pick to come in and learn/develop.  And I think if rodgers keeps playing they may do that for a few years. 

Pratt has fans, but he may be too rich for JD at this point.  I think if they take a qb its rd 4 the absolute earliest.  

So maybe looking at guys like Slovis who they met with a lot at the east west shrine game.  Not someone you'll get excited about but someone you can try to develop as the 3rd string guy maybe. 

If everyone stays then maybe you add a better prospect next year. 

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

add carter bradley to that list too

Bradley is a guy who intrigues me late. Son of a coach, good size, solid arm, could be developed as a 3rd QB for a few years.

Slovis looked a lot better at the combine than I thought he would. Not sure why his career went downhill in college, because the raw talent is certainly there.

• Upvote 1

I think this applies to the Jets next Vets QB. With AR8, it’s all in unless a QB is justifiable as a cheap back up.  Not ready to start but a better backup than Zach was last year.  That could be better than paying a backup $5mm+

it is also likely that the jets will be paying Zach $4mm to either stay home or play somewhere else. 

I think this applies to the Jets next Vets QB. With AR8, it’s all in unless a QB is justifiable as a cheap back up.  Not ready to start but a better backup than Zach was last year.  That could be better than paying a backup $5mm+
it is also likely that the jets will be paying Zach $4mm to either stay home or play somewhere else. 
The only backup I can think of that worse than Wilson is Boyle and that ship has sailed and sunk. Anyone else is an improvement.

Am I the only one who thinks Jim n Pat suck A$$?   

I am an avid Sirius NFL listener but purposely avoid their show.  Both seem to have been bought and paid as a marketing extension of the Pats and Tom Brady. You couldn't go more than one minute on their broadcast before they mentioned Pats and Brady.    Jim  is a constant Jet hater and Pat was useless in our front office and seems to carry a grudge against the Jets.    

Now that the Pats suck and Brady is gone this is all they have to talk about?? 

3 minutes ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

Am I the only one who thinks Jim n Pat suck A$$?   

I am an avid Sirius NFL listener but purposely avoid their show.  Both seem to have been bought and paid as a marketing extension of the Pats and Tom Brady. You couldn't go more than one minute on their broadcast before they mentioned Pats and Brady.    Jim  is a constant Jet hater and Pat was useless in our front office and seems to carry a grudge against the Jets.    

Now that the Pats suck and Brady is gone this is all they have to talk about?? 

Yes. You are.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, section314 said:

Jim and Pat were commenting on how cool and unusual it is this year to have two great veteran QB’s on the market in Cousins and Wilson. Both think Cousins to ATL and said one big factor is  his wife is from Georgia and they were married there. Then they got into a pretty interesting conversation on the drafting implications when you sign/ trade for an older guy because your current QB room sucks. Pat said the rule of thumb on when you draft the QB of the future depends on how long the deal is for the vet you just signed. Example, guy signs a 3 yr deal, draft a guy after year 1. Two year deal, draft a guy this year. That has the Jets written all over it.

That’s what staffs do who have job security. Our franchise is in a make or break year. Maybe they draft a qb with a late pick, but the qb of the future will not be drafted this year. The current staff will have to earn the right in 2024 to get another chance at drafting a qb or the next coaching staff and front office will get to make that choice in 25/26.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Russell Wilson is no longer a 'great' vet QB

His stats from last year were actually good. But when your team is battling for a playoff spot and they bench your a$$ it says it all.