*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

9 hours ago, King P said:

1-year deal with Mike Tomlin NOT receiving an extension and having 1-year left on his deal.

2024 has become the ultimate get it done or you're out year for Tomlin. I expect Pittsburgh to be relatively active in free agency.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

1-year deal with Mike Tomlin NOT receiving an extension and having 1-year left on his deal.

2024 has become the ultimate get it done or you're out year for Tomlin. I expect Pittsburgh to be relatively active in free agency.

I want to root for Pittsburgh to have a bad year because maybe he'll be available but, as others have pointed out, why would he want to join this franchise when he'll probably have his choice of where to go next.  (Unless today's NFL is so screwed up that he's no longer wanted.)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I don't really understand what the Steelers are doing? I guess they think Russ gets them over the hump and deeper in the playoffs?

Arthur Smith and Russell Wilson offense...I have no idea how that will turn out.

It’s better than Pickett and any OC .

14 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I don't really understand what the Steelers are doing?

Wilson is better than the backup-quality QB's they currently roster.

They're not in a position to draft a sure-thing year-1 starter.

So it's a FA QB.  Of those available, Wilson is likely the best.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I want to root for Pittsburgh to have a bad year because maybe he'll be available but, as others have pointed out, why would he want to join this franchise when he'll probably have his choice of where to go next.  (Unless today's NFL is so screwed up that he's no longer wanted.)

I think for a coach like Tomlin, Woody would give a lot of say and possibly even pick his own GM + gets Rodgers for another couple of years if his recent quotes about playing longer are true.

The whole "bad organization" thing is overblown if the owner is someone who gives up control and power by being starstruck. Woody has done it before, he gave Rex A LOT of say early on....he gave the keys to the franchise to Rodgers....he'd do it again for a coach like Pete Carroll or Mike Tomlin, or to a lesser degree Mike Vrabel.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

As will be the endless whining of the Pollyanna Crowd who hates their fellow Jets Fans. :roll:

As opposed to annual replies of the Pollyanna Crowd:

Signs Load of Guys - Smart, JD is so Dreamy and Brilliant, we're Super Bowl bound!

Signs No One - Smart, JD is so Dreamy and Brilliant, we're Super Bowl bound!

My guess is that there will be much more D&G than Pollyanna ... especially after last year's Superbowl hype fell so flat in such spectacular fashion.

The prevailing mood around here feels to me like fire everyone and hope the owner sells. Just as unlikely as a SB, IMHO. Owners don't sell unless forced to do so. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson is better than the backup-quality QB's they currently roster.

They're not in a position to draft a sure-thing year-1 starter.

So it's a FA QB.  Of those available, Wilson is likely the best.

Wilson is on a one year deal, Tomlin is on a one year deal. They are tied to each other in terms of whether they both have a future with the Steelers beyond this year. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I don't really understand what the Steelers are doing? I guess they think Russ gets them over the hump and deeper in the playoffs?

Arthur Smith and Russell Wilson offense...I have no idea how that will turn out.

I'm pretty sure with the contract he signed in Denver that Wilsons contract this year is essentially free for Pittsburgh. I believe he is owed like $30mm+ from Denver and anything he gets paid this year offsets it. Pittsburgh signed him for the minimum of ~$1.3mm so he'll now get $28.7mm from Denver and $1.3mm from Pittsburgh. 

If you're Pittsburgh you probably don't want to totally give up on Pickens but also realize you have a competitive team and can't rely on Pickens again. They made the playoffs with some of the worst QB play in the league - so Wilson offers legit upside to that at zero cost. Say what you want about RW - and you can say a lot - but he did throw for 3k+ yards, 26 tds/8 picks last year in 15 games. That is pretty good to get for free. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Wilson is on a one year deal, Tomlin is on a one year deal. They are tied to each other in terms of whether they both have a future with the Steelers beyond this year. 

I wish we could say the same.😩

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I like what Pittsburgh is doing. 1 year audition and can move on without being tethered to a QB + HC combo if it fails.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It’s go time

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I think I'd rather try and send a 4th rounder and get a Diontae Johnson or Sutton whos cap hits are much less than give up our 2025 first rounder and then have to pay Higgins $25-$30mm a year. 

If we're giving up our first next year I'd rather try and get Aiyuk than Higgins. Aiyuk's on the books in 2024 for $14mm so it'll help to prorate his contract over an extension and I think he is better anyway. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I think I'd rather try and send a 4th rounder and get a Diontae Johnson or Sutton whos cap hits are much less than give up our 2025 first rounder and then have to pay Higgins $25-$30mm a year. 

If we're giving up our first next year I'd rather try and get Aiyuk than Higgins. Aiyuk's on the books in 2024 for $14mm so it'll help to prorate his contract over an extension and I think he is better anyway. 

Aiyuk would be a dream, but I wonder if he is even available 

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I'm pretty sure with the contract he signed in Denver that Wilsons contract this year is essentially free for Pittsburgh. I believe he is owed like $30mm+ from Denver and anything he gets paid this year offsets it. Pittsburgh signed him for the minimum of ~$1.3mm so he'll now get $28.7mm from Denver and $1.3mm from Pittsburgh. 

If you're Pittsburgh you probably don't want to totally give up on Pickens but also realize you have a competitive team and can't rely on Pickens again. They made the playoffs with some of the worst QB play in the league - so Wilson offers legit upside to that at zero cost. Say what you want about RW - and you can say a lot - but he did throw for 3k+ yards, 26 tds/8 picks last year in 15 games. That is pretty good to get for free. 

He's basically free !

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

My guess is that there will be much more D&G than Pollyanna ... especially after last year's Superbowl hype fell so flat in such spectacular fashion.

Well, that, and 8 years since our last winning season, and no playoffs since 2010. 

Over that time we've drafted five bust QB's, Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Darnold & Wilson. 

Offenses ranked 28, 29, 28, 11 (Fitzy), 30, 24, 23, 31, 32, 28, 29 & 29 since 2011.

And Rodgers played 4 plays last year after a near-Ironman career prior to that.

What warrants there being more positivity than negativity given this long record of failure?  I'd say nothing at this time.

The best cure to negativity is success.  Show us, don't tell us.  Positive words are cheap and easy, results are harder.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

The prevailing mood around here feels to me like fire everyone and hope the owner sells. Just as unlikely as a SB, IMHO. Owners don't sell unless forced to do so. 

I think a slim majority here might have supported firing the GM and Coach after 2023, aye.

I think only a small minority think we're doomed till Woody sells.  He isn't selling, so it is what it is.

Just now, Warfish said:

Well, that, and 8 years since out last winning season, and no playoffs since 2010. 

Over that time we've drafted five bust QB's, Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Darnold & Wilson. 

Offenses ranked 28, 29, 28, 11 (Fitzy), 30, 24, 23, 31, 32, 28, 29 &29 since 2011.

And Rodgers played 4 plays last year.

What warrants there being more positivity than negativity given this long record of failure?  I'd say nothing at this time.

I think a majority here might have supported firing the GM and Coach after 2023, aye.

I think only a small minority think we're doomed till Woody sells.  He isn't selling, so it is what it is.

200.gif?cid=d9212ad97avp6obico9vc5x9pkml

• Haha 4

I think a majority here might have supported firing the GM and Coach after 2023, aye.
I may not be giddy with excitement for the upcoming season, but I have to think that a 7 win team with Wilson, Boyle and Siemian will be much better with Rodgers and (hopefully) a competent backup. I do expect a winning season and while that might blow your skirt up, it's far better than the past 8 years. I would also be disappointed if they don't make the playoffs unless it's a situation where they win 11 and get screwed on a tiebreaker.
  • Upvote 2

I do get the point, and yes it is tough to feel all that hopeful right now. Probably why I don't post as much as I normally would do, as so many threads just seem to exist in order to moan about everything. Even this week there was "how bad are we going to suck in free agency".

It always seems to be the two extremes that are the most vocal. Last year if you weren't booking Superbowl tickets you were criticised, this year if you say anything positive you get criticised. It's better when there can actually be a conversation and exchange of views, but that seems to be going out of fashion.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Theyre paying a QB who threw 26 TDs/8 INTs last year $1.2M.

Every other team in the league aside from Denver should feel bad about not making that move.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I may not be giddy with excitement for the upcoming season, but I have to think that a 7 win team with Wilson, Boyle and Siemian will be much better with Rodgers and (hopefully) a competent backup. I do expect a winning season and while that might blow your skirt up, it's far better than the past 8 years. I would also be disappointed if they don't make the playoffs unless it's a situation where they win 11 and get screwed on a tiebreaker.

Nothing blows my kilt up about it.

I expected a playoff season last year.  We had Aaron Rodgers after all.

I expect one this year now, the talent is good enough, mostly, and should get better if our GM pulls his head out of his ass.

But this franchise finds a way to change offseason "expects playoffs" into horrible failure every year, for decades now, so we'll see.

I just won't stomach the bitchy "Jets Fans suck they complain too much" posters here for expressing anything critical.  This isn't a fanclub, it's a forum.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, that, and 8 years since our last winning season, and no playoffs since 2010. 

Offenses ranked 28, 29, 28, 11 (Fitzy), 30, 24, 23, 31, 32, 28, 29 & 29 since 2011.

And Rodgers played 4 plays last year after a near-Ironman career prior to that.

The best cure to negativity is success.  Show us, don't tell us.  Positive words are cheap and easy, results are harder.

I think a slim majority here might have supported firing the GM and Coach after 2023, aye.

J!

• Haha 1