Grade the Potential Picks: UGA TE Brock Bowers / Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy

Grade the Pick....  

80 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets drafted TE Brock Bowers with the 10th Pick in the NFL Draft, I would give it a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  2. 2. If the Jets drafted QB JJ McCarthy with the 10th Pick in the NFL Draft, I would give it a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

What grade would you give the Jets if they drafted University of Georgia Tight End Brock Bowers with the 10th pick in 2024 NFL draft?

What grade would University of Michigan QB JJ McCarthy receive with that pick?

Bowers would be an A+ IF JD finds a number two WR on the market before the draft.  JJ is my pick of all the QBs in this draft, but he may still not work out.  This off season has to be setting the table for Rodgers.  They need a pass catcher and more manpower for the O-line.  I'd love to see Mike Williams signed so they can take Bowers if he falls.  Then in round three take the ND RT Blake Fisher if available or Matt Goncalves from Pitt

• Upvote 1

I like Bowers as a player and think he will do really well in the league.

I gave the grade of C for Bowers for the Jets because I have almost ZERO confidence in our offensive coordinator to use him properly, for a TE/HB weapon you have to be smart and creative and our OC is neither.

McCarthy?  Solid F- If the Jets drafted him at 10 I'd be dangling from the nearest bridge and scaring poor school children as they walked by and saw me swaying on the wind.

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

There’s no way in hell they’re drafting a QB, but I have no idea why so many treat Bowers like an afterthought.

We have Douglas on video in the war room last year listing Michael Mayer as one of his Top 3 targets at #15.

Bowers is thought of as perhaps the best TE prospect to ever come out of college. And I’m supposed to believe the Jets wouldn’t take him at #10? Especially after solidifying the OL and most likely landing one of Williams, Boyd or Beckham pre-draft?

Hell, I’d probably give Bowers the highest odds of being the pick at #10.

You never use your #1 pick, and a 10, for a TE. It’s not a premium position.

QB

tackle

DE

CB

WR

these are the premium positions. Either take the best tackle or WR. Simple

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

QB

tackle

DE

CB

WR

I’m not taking the 4th best WR prospect over arguably the top offensive playmaker in the draft.

Nor am I taking an OT over said player when if all goes well, the tackle isn’t even going to see the field his rookie year.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m not taking the 4th best WR prospect over arguably the top offensive playmaker in the draft.

Nor am I taking an OT over said player when if all goes well, the tackle isn’t even going to see the field his rookie year.

picking him means that you’re hoping he’s a unicorn. That’s a big risk. You draft the future tackle and you let him watch the seniors play. And oh yeah, one of them old guys will ultimately get injured. you know it, I know it. Hopefully the team knows It. Who knows, maybe one of the top three wide receivers will still be there at 10 but, if not ,from what I’ve been reading, there seems to be a lot of value in the wide receiver area, even as far as round three.

52 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

What grade would you give the Jets if they drafted University of Georgia Tight End Brock Bowers with the 10th pick in 2024 NFL draft?

I still think they take a tackle. Smith is in the twilight of his career and on a 1 year deal. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I still think they take a tackle. Smith is in the twilight of his career and on a 1 year deal. 

Everyone’s obsession with OL is absurd at this point,  they don’t need every guy to be a first round pick. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

believe it or not, there are starting quality OT's that will be there in round three.   they can take bowers and still get an ot in round three.  this may be the best draft I have ever seen for offensive lineman.  must say again, though... taking bowers is predicated on JD finding a #2 WR before the draft.  Hopefully Mike Williams joins the stable.  I like him a lot. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

picking him means that you’re hoping he’s a unicorn. That’s a big risk. You draft the future tackle and you let him watch the seniors play. And oh yeah, one of them old guys will ultimately get injured. you know it, I know it. Hopefully the team knows It. Who knows, maybe one of the top three wide receivers will still be there at 10 but, if not ,from what I’ve been reading, there seems to be a lot of value in the wide receiver area, even as far as round three.

The jets skill positions are bottom 10 right now, maybe bottom 5 even with garrett.  This wr class is stacked, and teams are going to load up.  We’re already projecting 3 wrs in the top 10 and maybe another 3-5 in round 1, more in rounds 2 and 3.  If the jets wait until round 3 to address wr, their skill positions will be even worse relative to the nfl.  I think it’s obvious the 10 spot is going to wr, given they just added 3 OL, are getting avt back from injury and may add more.  But how hard is it to add 1 decent wr?  They’re in competition for a guy who is coming off a torn acl. 

• Upvote 1

Bowers - C

McCarthy - F

Bowers hasn't even tested athletically yet. Good player, will be good in the league. We don't know if he's top 10 or even first-round good yet. Is he pre-injury Dustin Keller? That's a good player, but certainly not worth the tenth pick. 

Who knows with McCarthy? He had an amazing defense and excellent run-game in college. Idk what to make of his ability to translate to an NFL team. And then there's the whole, what conspiracy does #8 attribute his selection to if we draft him? 

• Upvote 4

Bowers didn’t work out at the Combine because of his surgery, and didn’t do anything at the Georgia Pro Day because he tweaked a hamstring two weeks ago? The dude is 23 but looks like he’s 42. Hard pass. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Best way to go is to sign a WR2..and draft a top Tackle at 10.

wouldnt be upset to take one of the top flight WR’s at 10, mind you..but have to load up OL. One or two will go down..for a period of games (at least).

AR will still be fairly mobile in the pocket..slyly/smartly, but needs ultra protection in ‘24

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Everyone’s obsession with OL is absurd at this point,  they don’t need every guy to be a first round pick. 

Seriously 

We’ve spent mid-round picks in back to back drafts on developmental OT’s.

Warren showed some promise last year after barely practicing the entire summer. Mitchell was coming off the blood clot issue and may be a better fit at guard.

Who’s to say the Jets can’t draft yet another OT in the 3rd or 4th round? And honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if they bolster the OL even further before the draft and sign someone like Josh Jones or even Bakhtiari as a Tyron Smith insurance policy.

• Upvote 2

No way on Bowers. He’s a great college player but he’s nowhere near gonna be on the level of a Travis Kelce or Mark Andrew’s or even Kittle. He’s not gonna be that great of a pro. Not at 10 you can’t pick Bowers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

QB

tackle

DE

CB

WR

Gronk and Kelce have like 6 super bowls between them I think TE is now premium this isn’t 1995

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

No way on Bowers. He’s a great college player but he’s nowhere near gonna be on the level of a Travis Kelce or Mark Andrew’s or even Kittle. He’s not gonna be that great of a pro. Not at 10 you can’t pick Bowers. 

That’s my concern.  I think Bowers will be good in the nfl but not great.  He’s quick, runs crisp routes and has great hands.  He’s not a good blocker and his mauling college linebackers won’t necessarily translate to the NFL where the LBs are bigger and stronger.  I think he’s basically Vernon Davis who had a good, not great career

• Upvote 2

I gave the grade of C for Bowers for the Jets because I have almost ZERO confidence in our offensive coordinator to use him properly, for a TE/HB weapon you have to be smart and creative and our OC is neither.
McCarthy?  Solid F- If the Jets drafted him at 10 I'd be dangling from the nearest bridge and scaring poor school children as they walked by and saw me swaying on the wind.

If you could suspend reality and assume Rodgers will be the offensive coordinator and use him the way he wants, then what do we think?

3 minutes ago, Wit said:

If you could suspend reality and assume Rodgers will be the offensive coordinator and use him the way he wants, then what do we think?

A QB cannot do it all on his own, sure he has input but he is not the oc and does not design all the plays and though he can change plays at the line a QB that is changing every play at the line because the oc stinks is not ideal.

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

QB

tackle

DE

CB

WR

If you look at Bowers and use Bowers as 'just a TE' then you are correct.

If you use him as a weapon ala Kelce and mahomes he may be worth it.

I believe the smartest teams always take the best player available in the first round.  The one caveat I would have is the first rounder has to be an immediate starter on a team built to win now.

We are a team with a 41-year-old, future hall of fame quarterback.  We have a $50MM deferred cap hit hanging over our heads in 2025 or whatever is the year after Rodgers leaves.  That is the definition of a team built to win now.

I believe Bowers will add the kind of dynamic weapon that would make our offense scary.  Bowers would not only be a scary TE option.  He is a very good blocker and can run the ball.  

• Upvote 2

Bowers is the safer pick, so I'd give them a B, McCarthy ... I'd give them a C+.

I think they are going WR or OL.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Bowers didn’t work out at the Combine because of his surgery, and didn’t do anything at the Georgia Pro Day because he tweaked a hamstring two weeks ago? The dude is 23 but looks like he’s 42. Hard pass. 
This is the first I have heard he is injury prone. Good to know.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

believe it or not, there are starting quality OT's that will be there in round three.   they can take bowers and still get an ot in round three.  this may be the best draft I have ever seen for offensive lineman.  must say again, though... taking bowers is predicated on JD finding a #2 WR before the draft.  Hopefully Mike Williams joins the stable.  I like him a lot. 

Why do folks forget about Carter Warren & to a lesser extent Mitchell. Warren now has had a full year in the system after rehabbing from college injury and Mitchell 2 years despite some freak injury issues year 1 into 2. We have some depth now.

9 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

We have one forst round pick on OL. We need a cornerstone OT. Smith was that for Dallas. He won't  be here very long. Maybe 2 years iMO. 

9 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Gronk and Kelce have like 6 super bowls between them I think TE is now premium this isn’t 1995

Neither was a first round pick.  Neither was kittle.  How did the jets first round tes do?  Not so well. Brady was a stiff, as was becht and dilfer.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Lol, we’re not usually in lockstep, but we are here. 

In 2023, of the top 20 receptions leaders, four were TEs, with two of them in the 15-20 range. In total yards, the top 20 are all WRs. TDs? Only one TE in the top 20, you’d have to get to 30 before the next TE appears on the list. There’s a reason the franchise number for a WR is about $10M higher than the number for TEs, they’re far more valuable. That’s why TEs don’t go top 10 very often, while WRs are a staple of the top of the draft in the modern era. Banking on an undersized TE to make a splash as a rookie is something of a fool’s errand. 

And taking any QB at #10 this year would be plain stupidity. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

QB

tackle

DE

CB

WR

It is now. Teams that have the the Super Bowl with very Good TEs: KC; TB; NE and; Philadelphia. With the Rams having the weakest TE.