“Zach Wilson will not be released and will be back with the Jets if not traded”- Woody Johnson

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Wilson, with one year remaining on his rookie contract, is due to make a guaranteed $5.5 million in salary and bonuses. Ideally, the Jets would love to trade the contract and clear the $5.5 million from their salary cap

If they release him, the Jets still have to pay him the $5.5 million and they get no cap relief. The charge would remain $11.2 million.

Douglas said Monday that there have been "some discussions" with teams, but "nothing is close" to being done.

"I think the trick is to have it be beneficial for the team and the player," Douglas said. "And I think that's what everybody is working towards, but ultimately we're going to have to do what's right for the team."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39808338/owner-woody-johnson-vows-jets-keep-qb-zach-wilson-no-trade

I think the best possible trade is that the Jets get a 7th round pick swap and the new team assumes only the veteran minimum salary.  

I think if the Jets cut Zach and a team picks him up (likely), the Jets still save the veteran minimum.  

If the Jets hold on the Zach this year for QB3, maybe they get a 7th round comp pick in 2026 if he signs somewhere in 2025.  Maybe.  It costs the Jets $1mm+. 

Those are the practical choices.  Just cut him and save the money.  Being in a Pratt, Rattler, Travis, Bradley as QB3.  Other teams are thinking the same thing. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the best possible trade is that the Jets get a 7th round pick swap and the new team assumes only the veteran minimum salary.  

I think if the Jets cut Zach and a team picks him up (likely), the Jets still save the veteran minimum.  

If the Jets hold on the Zach this year for QB3, maybe they get a 7th round comp pick in 2026 if he signs somewhere in 2025.  Maybe.  It costs the Jets $1mm+. 

Those are the practical choices.  Just cut him and save the money.  Being in a Pratt, Rattler, Travis, Bradley as QB3.  Other teams are thinking the same thing. 

In a worst case scenario I would try to work a trade with the Jets assuming all of the salary and in return they get a draft pick (not a swap). They would basically be buying a lottery ticket for $5.4 million. I would look for a 6th round pick as compensation. The team trading for him would get Zach Wilson with no compensation due (or salary cap hit) in exchange for a late round pick. I think that's fair.

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

Woody didn’t kill Zach's value 

The other teams have eyes... Whole scouting departments dedicated to evaluating the film 

They aren't listening to woody Johnson one way or the other 

Zach is just that bad. They'd have to expand the draft to 13 rounds to find a pick low enough to accurately measure his worth 

Well at the end of the season Woody was making disparaging comments about Zach and was met with complaints that he didn’t know what he was doing by trashing a player he was going to see traded.  He was an idiot, who because he never worked, knows nothing

Now he an idiot for trying to keep up some kind of value in Zach.

Life on the internet 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If Zach still on the roster does he attend OTAs and minicamp. I think they'll trade him after 6/1. Reportedly  the Jets org promised Zach they would trade him. I don't see him being on the roster as number 3. They'll take a hit on his salary but still get over a million back. 

June 1 has no effect on the cap implications of a potential Zach trade. I suspect that they’re holding onto him in hopes of getting something/anything for him during the draft and, if he’s not moved, he will be cut shortly afterwards. There is no valid football or economic reason to keep him on the team beyond that. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, varjet said:

No one wants Zach not even for a conditional 7th rounder which is what we got for Hackenberg 

Zach sucks.  31 other GMs and owners know it.  And unlike Hackenturd he has a $11.1 million cap hit.

The only way the jets are getting rid of this BUST is

7C85F06B-8ECE-49A1-9B59-1299D8803A50.thumb.jpeg.e6cefa3c1ecef1b2e232bbbadb644a0c.jpeg

And that has still not happened yet.  He’s going to be on the roster and will play in regular season games next season 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

45 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

No one wants Zach not even for a conditional 7th rounder which is what we got for Hackenberg 

Zach sucks.  31 other GMs and owners know it.  And unlike Hackenturd he has a $11.1 million cap hit.

The only way the jets are getting rid of this BUST is

7C85F06B-8ECE-49A1-9B59-1299D8803A50.thumb.jpeg.e6cefa3c1ecef1b2e232bbbadb644a0c.jpeg

And that has still not happened yet.  He’s going to be on the roster and will play in regular season games next season 

I can definitely see it happening.  Rodgers goes down and then tyrod Taylor gets hurt because he always does then boom it's Zach Wilson time again.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

He wouldn't take a game day roster spot, but he would still take an actual roster spot and the rest of the team would still have to look at him sulking on the end of the bench in uniform. 

In the end, I don’t think he’s on the team by the time training camp rolls around but we’ve seen it happen before with jimmy g / Trey lance. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

June 1 has no effect on the cap implications of a potential Zach trade. I suspect that they’re holding onto him in hopes of getting something/anything for him during the draft and, if he’s not moved, he will be cut shortly afterwards. There is no valid football or economic reason to keep him on the team beyond that. 

Based on what I read and I could be wrong if after June 1 the Jets can spread the cap hit over 2 years instead of having to absorb it all in one year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

In the end, I don’t think he’s on the team by the time training camp rolls around but we’ve seen it happen before with jimmy g / Trey lance. 

Other option would be to IR him somehow, pay out his contract while he hangs out away from the team and the Jets can draft someone else. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Based on what I read and I could be wrong if after June 1 the Jets can spread the cap hit over 2 years instead of having to absorb it all in one year. 

This is the last year of his deal so there’s nowhere to spread it. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Other option would be to IR him somehow, pay out his contract while he hangs out away from the team and the Jets can draft someone else. 

Where's Tonya Harding when you need her?!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Barton said:

Zach being gone is not a done deal. It should be. But its not.

Woodys "we didnt have a real backup QB last year" comment a few weeks ago was NOT a shot at Zach.

Zach wasnt supposed to play last year - by design. Woody was saying they didnt have a legit VETERAN BACKUP QB last year.

Once again....Then why was no veteran backup signed over the Summer, and even when Rodgers got hurt, why was there zero urgency to acquire a backup at that time?  It took them 3 weeks to add Siemian and then another 2 months to put him under center.

None of this adds up right now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Teams HAVE gotten in trouble for using "injuries" to manipulate the roster. This would be slightly risky business.

The new "emergency" QB rules mean that a designated QB3 may not even need to suit up. Wilson could probably watch from Woody's box seats lol

That being said, I think we'd all be surprised if another QB3 isn't here by August. In theory the Jets may be able to get a legitimate deal done for Wilson during the regular season if QBs keep getting injured in 2024 like they did in 2023, but I'm not sure even Woody is down for the kind of circus that would ensue if Wilson stayed on the 53 man roster.

And Woody has been our clown ringleader 🤡🎪🦁🦒🐅🤡🎊 of the circus for some seriously ridiculous moves (Tebow springs to mind...)

the only person who benefits from Zach still being here is Zach. if he is here, he will sit as QB3 hopefully for the whole year just like he was supposed to this year. then he might learn something from Rodgers just to bring that to another team when he leaves after the year.

cut Zach, draft a QB in rd 3 or 4 and have him sit and learn from Rodgers. at least that might benefit us in 2 years when Rodgers leaves.

Woody needs to stop worrying about a few dollars (to him) and do whats best for the team, for once.

36 minutes ago, doitny said:

the only person who benefits from Zach still being here is Zach. if he is here, he will sit as QB3 hopefully for the whole year just like he was supposed to this year. then he might learn something from Rodgers just to bring that to another team when he leaves after the year.

cut Zach, draft a QB in rd 3 or 4 and have him sit and learn from Rodgers. at least that might benefit us in 2 years when Rodgers leaves.

Woody needs to stop worrying about a few dollars (to him) and do whats best for the team, for once.

Not about the money.  Woody still believes in Zach 

Just now, doitny said:

so then he might as well sign him to an extension now cause he is leaving at the end of the year.

I would not be shocked if woody extended Zach or signed him to a one year deal for 2025.  He is one of the most stupid people I have ever seen in my life and he’s calling all the shots hence 15 years 0 playoff appearances and one season over .500

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, lowered expectations said:

I can definitely see it happening.  Rodgers goes down and then tyrod Taylor gets hurt because he always does then boom it's Zach Wilson time again.  

That will NEVER happen. First now that JD FINALLY put some investment into OL, Jet qbs will be lot better protected. If rodgers AND Taylor go down by “only the Jets “ luck, JD would make an emergency trade for a placeholder qb. Which he should have done last yr ! Vikings got Josh Dobbs for a 6th round pick, and they got a 7th back. He did a decent job. Judging by the backup market lately, it shouldn’t be hard for jets to swing a trade for 1 in case of that drastic emergency. But no way would they go to Zach. 

11 hours ago, slats said:

I'm not sure about that.  If he passes thru the draft untraded, with a fully gteed contract, why not keep him as QB3?  Given the ages of Rodgers and Taylor it would be almost a certainty we're carry 3 QB's and if you cut him you're going to have to pay $1-2M for a guy like Siemian to hold a clipboard above Wilson's sunk cost.   

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Once again....Then why was no veteran backup signed over the Summer, and even when Rodgers got hurt, why was there zero urgency to acquire a backup at that time?  It took them 3 weeks to add Siemian and then another 2 months to put him under center.

Might just be good ol' JD effing up again.

Remember, this is the same guy who crowned Zach the starter the day he was drafted (out of Utah, no less) AND double downed on his stupidity by not having a have a quality vet to back him up that year. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Everyone has a theory.  Mine is JD is the problem.  Not Woody. Not Zach's uncle.  Not Saleh.

From Ryan Kalil, to Becton's knee, to the corpse of Duane Brown, to no backup QB behind Rodgers, the guy constantly seems to have no Plan B ready to go when Plan A craps the bed.

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Everyone has a theory.  Mine is JD is the problem.  Not Woody. Not Zach's uncle.  Not Saleh.

From Ryan Kalil, to Becton's knee, to the corpse of Duane Brown, to no backup QB behind Rodgers, the guy constantly seems to have no Plan B ready to go when Plan A craps the bed.

I agree. He especially has to answer to no backup behind Rodgers.

• Upvote 1