“Zach Wilson will not be released and will be back with the Jets if not traded”- Woody Johnson

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The media spoke to the coach and GM for the first time since the end of the season. They spoke to the owner for the first time since the Super Bowl. The headline coming out of each of those availabilities? Zach Wilson. The team needs to shut up about Zach Wilson and move on with it. With everything the team has going for it, this is what they allow to dominate the coverage. Clown show from a messaging standpoint. 

You're right about that.  I'd say ZW has 1 foot out the door but he basically has both feet out the door at this point.  He's not coming back.  Yet he does manage to make headlines.  It is ridiculous.  But in no way is it the larger narrative of the offseason.  ZW is out of the picture at this point.  

25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It'll be fun to track this over the next six months or so. He'll be gone, but even if he's not, he'll be QB3. And even if Rodgers gets hurt, he'll never play because we have Tyrod. And even if Tyrod gets hurt, he'll just fill in on an emergency basis. And even if he ends up starting, it'll only be for a few games. And even if he gets a contract extension, it'll only be for one year. And even if it's for more than one year, it'll be for the league minimum.

I'd be happy if that were the case but I know it isn't.  ZW won't be here next year.

LOL at all this....WTF was Woody to say?  If he's not traded for he'll be released?  If he said that who would trade for him and assume any of his contract?

Personally I could give two sh*ts about who our QB3 is at this point....if they draft a QB and he looks at least 'developmental' and they release ZW later so be it.  If they decide with limited DP's to not draft a QB3 and think keeping a roster spot open for ZW is not detrimental to the team, IDC.

Whatever.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Did not mean to exonerate Douglas, but the entire thirty year reign of error swallowing up the careers of the people who took the jobs and the barriers it out up in trying to find the next guys to take these jobs is all Woody. 

Oh, come on, it's only been 24 years of Woody-driven misery.

Although sad to say, the entire 2000-2010 stretch was exponentially better than anything JD has managed to do.  Who ever thought we'd be dreaming of the glory days of Bradway and Tannenbaum?

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

It'll be fun to track this over the next six months or so. He'll be gone, but even if he's not, he'll be QB3. And even if Rodgers gets hurt, he'll never play because we have Tyrod. And even if Tyrod gets hurt, he'll just fill in on an emergency basis. And even if he ends up starting, it'll only be for a few games. And even if he gets a contract extension, it'll only be for one year. And even if it's for more than one year, it'll be for the league minimum.

ONLY BECAUSE THERES NO LEAGUE MAXIMUM

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I am hereby predicting right here and now that Zach Wilson starts at least one game for the 2024-2025 Jets.

How much action can you stand on the over? 

• Haha 1

If Zach still on the roster does he attend OTAs and minicamp. I think they'll trade him after 6/1. Reportedly  the Jets org promised Zach they would trade him. I don't see him being on the roster as number 3. They'll take a hit on his salary but still get over a million back. 

Zach being gone is not a done deal. It should be. But its not.

Woodys "we didnt have a real backup QB last year" comment a few weeks ago was NOT a shot at Zach.

Zach wasnt supposed to play last year - by design. Woody was saying they didnt have a legit VETERAN BACKUP QB last year.

27 minutes ago, Barton said:

Zach being gone is not a done deal. It should be. But its not.

Woodys "we didnt have a real backup QB last year" comment a few weeks ago was NOT a shot at Zach.

Zach wasnt supposed to play last year - by design. Woody was saying they didnt have a legit VETERAN BACKUP QB last year.

It sure sounded like that earlier line was about ZW but definitely a shot at Douglas because ZW was supposed to have a redshirt year. It's comical for Woody to whine that Douglas didn't plan for Rodgers to drop during the season but Woody thought the same when he passed on buying insurance against a Rodgers injury. 

There's no conspiracy or greater power keeping ZW on the team. Woody is looking at his second potential top five QB bust holding tight to the belief that he was right about ZW and right about Rodgers converting ZW into a star. He's doing what wealthy people do: believe in themselves absolutely and blame everybody else for their failings. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then why was there zero urgency to acquire a backup the moment Rodgers got hurt?  It took them 3 weeks to add Siemian and then another 2 months to put him under center.

The lack of urgency to acquire a tru BUQB is on Joe Douglas. I think when Woody made that comment, he was digging it towards Joe. Joe let the team down, and Woody wasn't about to let him forget it.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then why was there zero urgency to acquire a backup the moment Rodgers got hurt?  It took them 3 weeks to add Siemian and then another 2 months to put him under center.

Woody

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

What team(s) actually need a Zach Wilson? 
MN has Sammy & moving up for a QB. Arizona? Tenn? Saints? Oakland? 
Sean Payton perhaps if they don’t land Day 1 starter in draft?

not only that but who is trading for a guy who needs to sit on the bench for a year when he only has one year left on his contract. 

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It’s happening as we speak. The owner just said he’s coming back. 

That is not what he said.  
Because I read if not traded.
I understand the difference.  And the point.  
I don’t believe he’s coming back.  I do believe it makes sense not to tell everyone we’ll cut him at some point.  

• Haha 1

Its pretty obvious that the trade deals were along the lines of the Jets giving up assets (money/picks) in order to offload his crappy salary to another team.

As it stands very few teams in the league are going to want ZW.  His ‘potential’ is much overhyped around these parts, and at this stage in his career pretty irrelevant.  Results, leadership and skill matter now, especially when no team is going to offer him a contract for what he could be, years after that contract is done.

And what he is, is an unbelievably raw bottom of the barrel backup at best (50-70 amongst qbs).   Realistically he is one bad offseason/mistake/injury away from being out of the league.  

Be sure that JD wont be keeping a third string problem qb on the roster, so every team in the league knows that he’s going to get cut and the collective response to Woody’s proclamations is a collective fart.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Woody was sick of hearing how he killed Zach's trade value 

Woody didn’t kill Zach's value 

The other teams have eyes... Whole scouting departments dedicated to evaluating the film 

They aren't listening to woody Johnson one way or the other 

Zach is just that bad. They'd have to expand the draft to 13 rounds to find a pick low enough to accurately measure his worth 

• Upvote 3

We posted this on social media last week but I didn't get a chance to post it here. My sons friend sent me this photo, he was eating at this restaurant in Red Bank next to Zach. He went up to him and Zach was very nice. But Zach's exact words were:

Sorry it didn't work out the way we all wanted.

Past tense.

Zach isn't coming back. Everyone knows it.

image.png

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

but but I just put my condo on the market and my Moms shipped my xBox and Switch back home

Zach does have ties to NJ now. He is in the Red Bank area all the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We posted this on social media last week but I didn't get a chance to post it here. My sons friend sent me this photo, he was eating at this restaurant in Red Bank next to Zach. He went up to him and Zach was very nice. But Zach's exact words were:

Sorry it didn't work out the way we all wanted.

Past tense.

Zach isn't coming back. Everyone knows it.

image.png

Interesting he is spending time in Central Jersey as opposed to back in Utah or wherever during a time in which there are no OTAs and he knows he’s a goner.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

What team(s) actually need a Zach Wilson? 
MN has Sammy & moving up for a QB. Arizona? Tenn? Saints? Oakland? 
Sean Payton perhaps if they don’t land Day 1 starter in draft?

Pretty sure Sean Payton would sooner retire to become a professional circus clown 🤡 than add Zach Wilson.

He couldn’t stand Russ because of his improvisational style and reliance on 2nd reaction playmaking.

He’d completely lose it watching ZW hold the ball for 5 seconds before running backwards towards his own goal line.

He’s looking for a rhythm and timing passer like Brees to fire the ball accurately and on-time.

• Upvote 1

I can picture it now.

Jets start 1-0. Jets fandom is a fever pitch declaring the team SB winners.

A strong breeze takes out Aaron Rodgers brittle senior bones in week 2.

Tyrod plays mediocre, jets split the next 4 games and crawl to 3-2. Fandom has dialed back the expectations to SB contender.

Week 6. After Tyron Smith goes out for the year the previous week, Tyrod Taylor gets sacked from the blind side, instantly turning him into dust.

Zack Wilson starts the rest of the year. Jets finish 7-10. Woody extends Douglas and Saleh 5 years.

Next year, is our year Saleh decrees.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I can picture it now.

Jets start 1-0. Jets fandom is a fever pitch declaring the team SB winners.

A strong breeze takes out Aaron Rodgers brittle senior bones in week 2.

Tyrod plays mediocre, jets split the next 4 games and crawl to 3-2. Fandom has dialed back the expectations to SB contender.

Week 6. After Tyron Smith goes out for the year the previous week, Tyrod Taylor gets sacked from the blind side, instantly turning him into dust.

Zack Wilson starts the rest of the year. Jets finish 7-10. Woody extends Douglas and Saleh 5 years.

Next year, is our year Saleh decrees.

There’s about a 45% chance this actually happens. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, C Mart said:

Is there any cap advantage in cutting him pre or post June 1st? 

If not, take your emotions out of this...Taylor is the backup..They'll draft someone. ZW or the drafted QB become QB 3...That is if there aren't QB injuries during training camp/preseason and a team comes calling. 

If ZW finishes out '24 - he leaves via FA and is part of the '25 UFA class and becomes part of the compensatory picks formula.

Wilson, with one year remaining on his rookie contract, is due to make a guaranteed $5.5 million in salary and bonuses. Ideally, the Jets would love to trade the contract and clear the $5.5 million from their salary cap

If they release him, the Jets still have to pay him the $5.5 million and they get no cap relief. The charge would remain $11.2 million.

Douglas said Monday that there have been "some discussions" with teams, but "nothing is close" to being done.

"I think the trick is to have it be beneficial for the team and the player," Douglas said. "And I think that's what everybody is working towards, but ultimately we're going to have to do what's right for the team."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39808338/owner-woody-johnson-vows-jets-keep-qb-zach-wilson-no-trade

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Interesting he is spending time in Central Jersey as opposed to back in Utah or wherever during a time in which there are no OTAs and he knows he’s a goner.

I think that’s his gfs restaurant 

• Haha 2