“Zach Wilson will not be released and will be back with the Jets if not traded”- Woody Johnson

On 3/25/2024 at 2:26 PM, Matt39 said:

lmfao

I wonder what Zach Wilson is thinking right now?  Woody said that they didn't have a backup QB last year on one hand, and then states that Zach is a valuable asset on the other hand.

If I was Zach, I would be so checked out emotionally on the Jets right now.  And if the Jets do keep him, and he must play in a real game as the #3 QB, I wonder how wonderful Zach's mindset will be coming in to the game, and trying to win for Woody Johnson.

I think Zach would be emotionally tortured if he has to endure another season as a NY Jet, being on the practice squad, week after week, never being active for any games, and have to be active if the guys ahead of him get injured.  What a cancerous situation it will be in that scenario.  

• Upvote 1

Zach needs to just go away and surrender to the fact he’s not an NFL QB. Jets need to also cut ties and be done with this. They don’t need this lingering mess to continue. Zack would be smart to go to the CFL and do his twirling whirling escape the pass rush thingy there. More room to run around there. I actually think he’d have some success there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Zach needs to just go away and surrender to the fact he’s not an NFL QB. Jets need to also cut ties and be done with this. They don’t need this lingering mess to continue. Zack would be smart to go to the CFL and do his twirling whirling escape the pass rush thingy there. More room to run around there. I actually think he’d have some success there. 

It is not that easy of a thing to to do. When you are an athlete that has performed at even the minimal levels of a standard at any grade of competition, you have that "taste". That taste is what drives athletes. That taste is also what makes them hang on for too long. 

Competition and driving for that taste has been in their blood for almost 90% of their young lives. It has to be ripped away from them, for the fear of having the thought later in life of, "what if?". 

I have witnessed it in athletes with far less talent than what it takes to showcase at the professional level. And I can't say I begrudge them.  You are only young once. If you want to make them rip the jersey off of you, make them. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm not sure about that.  If he passes thru the draft untraded, with a fully gteed contract, why not keep him as QB3?  Given the ages of Rodgers and Taylor it would be almost a certainty we're carry 3 QB's and if you cut him you're going to have to pay $1-2M for a guy like Siemian to hold a clipboard above Wilson's sunk cost.   

You don’t keep him because he doesn’t want to be there, and no one on the team wants him there, either. Third QB money is inconsequential, especially with this year’s new rule that your emergency QB can come directly from the practice squad with unlimited call-ups. Taxi guys earn a minimum of $12k a week. Or essentially nothing. In terms of real money, his $5.5M also means nothing. If it becomes dead money, they can toss it on top of the $35M pile that’s already there. The only reason they’re trying to trade him is for cap purposes. It’s not worth it to anyone to hold onto him for the chump change a QB #3 might cost. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, slats said:

You don’t keep him because he doesn’t want to be there, and no one on the team wants him there, either. Third QB money is inconsequential, especially with this year’s new rule that your emergency QB can come directly from the practice squad with unlimited call-ups. Taxi guys earn a minimum of $12k a week. Or essentially nothing. In terms of real money, his $5.5M also means nothing. If it becomes dead money, they can toss it on top of the $35M pile that’s already there. The only reason they’re trying to trade him is for cap purposes. It’s not worth it to anyone to hold onto him for the chump change a QB #3 might cost. 

If the choice is the Jets and a guaranteed roster spot vs playing in the second half of preseason games fighting to make a roster he’s going to pick the Jets.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

He’ll be out of the NFL after 2025.  His family won’t let him go to CFL he’ll just get  a made up job at his family’s company 

Page 1 of the rich kid manual

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is not that easy of a thing to to do. When you are an athlete that has performed at even the minimal levels of a standard at any grade of competition, you have that "taste". That taste is what drives athletes. That taste is also what makes them hang on for too long. 

Competition and driving for that taste has been in their blood for almost 90% of their young lives. It has to be ripped away from them, for the fear of having the thought later in life of, "what if?". 

I have witnessed it in athletes with far less talent than what it takes to showcase at the professional level. And I can't say I begrudge them.  You are only young once. If you want to make them rip the jersey off of you, make them. 

Let them rip it off him in Canada for all I care.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If the choice is the Jets and a guaranteed roster spot vs playing in the second half of preseason games fighting to make a roster he’s going to pick the Jets.

I think he gets paid either way because his rookie deal was essentially fully guaranteed as a #2 overall pick?

I suspect he’d be fine cashing checks hanging out in Utah or traveling the world or whatever he wants to do.

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2024 at 7:49 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Then why was there zero urgency to acquire a backup the moment Rodgers got hurt?  It took them 3 weeks to add Siemian and then another 2 months to put him under center.

You are right, and THIS is the situation Woody was referring to....not ZW (in my mind anyhoo)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

You don’t keep him because he doesn’t want to be there, and no one on the team wants him there, either. 

This is it. This is the whole thing.

1) Zach has sucked his entire tenure here but has been treated with kid gloves and basically not been held accountable the entire time. The team clearly resents him.

2) When Zach was finally benched it wasn't handled well. He was jerked around because for some insane reason we didn't have a real backup QB on the roster.

3) Zach quit on the team and essentially refused to play when asked. He had to be publicly shamed with leaks into making a start. Douglas promised they'd trade him in the offseason in order to get him to play.

4) After taking a couple of hits against Miami he faked a concussion to get out of there.

This "we might as well keep him as the third string QB" stuff is insane. No chance you can keep him on the roster. We can just hope and pray the Woody comments are simply about trying to get any value for him because keeping him is untenable.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Good points. Zach needs to use whatever happens and make the most of it. It’s not going to be an easy road back but, imo, the guy has so much physical talent it would be a shame to see him not turn it around.

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is it. This is the whole thing.

1) Zach has sucked his entire tenure here but has been treated with kid gloves and basically not been held accountable the entire time. The team clearly resents him.

2) When Zach was finally benched it wasn't handled well. He was jerked around because for some insane reason we didn't have a real backup QB on the roster.

3) Zach quit on the team and essentially refused to play when asked. He had to be publicly shamed with leaks into making a start. Douglas promised they'd trade him in the offseason in order to get him to play.

4) After taking a couple of hits against Miami he faked a concussion to get out of there.

This "we might as well keep him as the third string QB" stuff is insane. No chance you can keep him on the roster. We can just hope and pray the Woody comments are simply about trying to get any value for him because keeping him is untenable.

Is it any more untenable this year than it was last year? Other than Woody, everyone within the organization  was done with him after he didn’t want to compete against the Jaguars because he was still pouting that he got benched for White. Saleh had to beg to start White after the Patriots debacle.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Alka said:

I wonder what Zach Wilson is thinking right now?  Woody said that they didn't have a backup QB last year on one hand, and then states that Zach is a valuable asset on the other hand.

If I was Zach, I would be so checked out emotionally on the Jets right now.  And if the Jets do keep him, and he must play in a real game as the #3 QB, I wonder how wonderful Zach's mindset will be coming in to the game, and trying to win for Woody Johnson.

I think Zach would be emotionally tortured if he has to endure another season as a NY Jet, being on the practice squad, week after week, never being active for any games, and have to be active if the guys ahead of him get injured.  What a cancerous situation it will be in that scenario.  

Well, he got concussed. There was all that bs being spun by the athletic.  Boyle went in and stunk it up worse than any qb in a long time and then when they finally turn back to Zach he plays a really good game against the Texans.  I don’t think being the 3rd string qb is going to affect his mind set much.  Especially if the team is winning and the oline is pass blocking.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Is it any more untenable this year than it was last year? Other than Woody, everyone within the organization  was done with him after he didn’t want to compete against the Jaguars because he was still pouting that he got benched for White. Saleh had to beg to start White after the Patriots debacle.

Don't disagree it was a disaster last year too but I think quitting on the team and being shamed into playing by a leaked story is pretty much impossible to come back from.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Let them rip it off him in Canada for all I care.

Why does anyone assume Zach would be good in the CFL?  On the field he’s actually very similar to Johnny Manziel when he busted in the NFL but at least Manziel had the excuse he was drinking and drugging. Manziel washed out of the CFL in 5 minutes.  Zach would wash out in 10 minutes.

8 hours ago, FootballLove said:

You are right, and THIS is the situation Woody was referring to....not ZW (in my mind anyhoo)

Any chance it was Saleh's reluctance to go to the combine in an absolute must-win year?

• Upvote 1

If ZW actually were a “valuable asset” he’d be on another team already.

It’s because he has no value around the league that he’s stuck on a team that wants nothing to do with him any longer.

The irony is lost on old man Woodrow.

But if I’m being completely honest, the thinly veiled contempt Woody clearly has for ZW at this point makes the situation somewhat amusing and almost farcical.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:13 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Once again....Then why was no veteran backup signed over the Summer, and even when Rodgers got hurt, why was there zero urgency to acquire a backup at that time?  It took them 3 weeks to add Siemian and then another 2 months to put him under center.

None of this adds up right now.

They gave up on the season the moment Rogers went down. They could have had Dobbs and a few other competent QB’s. They just ran Wilson out. It made me convinced Woody was sticking his nose in. Why else would the Jets be stupid enough to keep running Zach out there?

I do think Woody was involved with him being taken 2 overall, and had some personal investment in him succeeding or not as the case maybe.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

They gave up on the season the moment Rogers went down. They could have had Dobbs and a few other competent QB’s. They just ran Wilson out. It made me convinced Woody was sticking his nose in. Why else would the Jets be stupid enough to keep running Zach out there?

They should have been sellers at the trade deadline then.  Bryce Huff being the primary sell-off piece.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

What benefit do the Jets get by releasing a player with a fully guaranteed salary? As a 3rd string QB, I don’t see the issue. 

Stop pretending like this doesn't have something to do with JetBlue!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

What benefit do the Jets get by releasing a player with a fully guaranteed salary? As a 3rd string QB, I don’t see the issue. 

They free themselves of a toxic, untenable relationship where both sides want to move on and Jets fans are freed from the horrifying idea that Zach Wilson might ever take another snap for this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

He ties up a valuable roster spot.  Theres a reason why most teams don’t carry 3 QBs on their 53 anymore.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He ties up a valuable roster spot.  Theres a reason why most teams don’t carry 3 QBs on their 53 anymore.  

If it’s not Zach, it should be someone else then, but we can’t go into the season with two ‘almost retired’ QBs where our starter is coming off an achilles injury for a team with playoffs on the line.

Zach as a 3rd QB is likely our best bet at winning .500 if we are down to 3rd string QB for a few games. 

18 hours ago, rangerous said:

Well, he got concussed. There was all that bs being spun by the athletic.  Boyle went in and stunk it up worse than any qb in a long time and then when they finally turn back to Zach he plays a really good game against the Texans.  I don’t think being the 3rd string qb is going to affect his mind set much.  Especially if the team is winning and the oline is pass blocking.

Never believed he had a concussion...not for one second. He didnt want to play for the Jets anymore, his pride was hurt after the multiple benchings and the line was a shambles so he was thinking about his own future. 

Get rid of the kid and I dont care how.